[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest markmcfarland2

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the TMobile Vivacity unlock procedure it worked great for me.

Just one issue I am having - not sure if anyine else has same - I cannot get any notification tone when receiving a text message on my tmobile vivacity. I have played around with settings but whatever I do it simply wont receive a message with a tone. I reloaded the stock ROM on my wifes phone to test if it worked and it did so I am wondering if this is an issue with the ROM perhaps?

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

I'm having problems installing a custom rom after unlocking. Unlocking seems to have work OK, as it can un a ornage sim on my vivacity. I've installed rom manager, and when I boot into recovery, I'm getting the version withn the blue writing, when the scroll/volume buttons work, but not the select/home button. It was the orange writing version when I did the unlocking. So, I tried to install cwm again using adb. I get as far as the firsdt step, rebooting to the green android, but when I try to flash recovery, it sits there doing nothing. I beleieve this is a driver issue, as it doesn's seem to recognize the phone, despite running driversetup. Can anyone tell me whatI'm doing wrong?

Guest HugoQueiriga

I'm having problems installing a custom rom after unlocking. Unlocking seems to have work OK, as it can un a ornage sim on my vivacity. I've installed rom manager, and when I boot into recovery, I'm getting the version withn the blue writing, when the scroll/volume buttons work, but not the select/home button. It was the orange writing version when I did the unlocking. So, I tried to install cwm again using adb. I get as far as the firsdt step, rebooting to the green android, but when I try to flash recovery, it sits there doing nothing. I beleieve this is a driver issue, as it doesn's seem to recognize the phone, despite running driversetup. Can anyone tell me whatI'm doing wrong?

Use the cheat menu by scrolling down in vol- a few times, it should show cheat menu and then you can use the power button as the selector.

OK. Have managed to get Flibblesan's rom on now. However, I went through the whole unlocking process again, and flashed the rom after I flashed the crescent file and the kernel back on. I still can't get into cwm recovery (orange writing?). It just keeps going into stock(?) recovery (blue writing? and no select button!!). Also, when I boot holding the power and vol+ buttons, nothing seems to happen? even after a minute or so. The only way I can get into recovery is thru rom manager, but that takes it back to stock recovery (blue writing). Anyway, it's the wife's phone (Xmas pressie!!) and I've done what I needed to. So thanks for everyone's help on this thread.

Thanks Arvind for the guide. Iwas able to unlock and de-brand the Vivacity without any Issues. Just one question though - how do I get the data connectivity widget on the home screen (the one with Bluetooth, Wireless, Data Connection, Refresh icons) that Android phones come with anyway? I debranded an Orange San Fran last year, but this widget did not disappear then.

Thanks.

T-Mobile Vivacity.doc

Hi,

I bought 2 TMob Vivacity phones and after lots of hesitation undertook the unlock and debrand steps provided by Bouncer5 in this thread.

In the process of unlocking my 2 phones (successfully), I was tracking my various steps in the attached document and thought of sharing it with all the members.

All credit goes to Bouncer5 without a doubt. Hope my document helps some hesitant newbie!!!

cheers

Arvind

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Attempting unlock of ZTE Crescent, installed all the windows files but can't access the sd card, error is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)." Running windows 7.

Guest Reider59

Adventures and experiences of a virgin android user:

Got out the trusty hard backed notebook I use for jobs like this. Noted Mac ID, Sim number, phone number, day to change underwear, you name it from the phone. Just do it guys, 6 weeks or months later you won`t know where they are. Its 5 mins with me..... blink.gifrolleyes.gif

I take pills that are supposed to block severe pain signals in the brain. What they also do is kill my short term memory and thought control so dealing with a first time Android phone and knowing the specific needs I felt for it was always going to be difficult. Thanks to one or two forums but especially this one I hung in there and got it sorted myself, even if I went a long way around to do it and took over 24 hours with breaks from it for something called Real Life (real world not the program)? Its overrated so don`t go there, virtual life is better. wink.gif

I was never 100% sure this was the phone for me but 98% sure with this SFII and it went out of stock 3 times before I got the money to plunge. T Mobile had a Vivacity in and I went to town to get one, funds not paid in so no chance. Came home and the SFII was back in stock, next day at daybreak biggrin.gif funds were in and I ordered it online to be delivered to the shop Friday 23rd in time for Christmas, wey hey got me piggy bank n headphones etc but struggling to get the free £20 of games cos their server has problems. Never mind, Friday night I unlocked the phone and this helped (Mods delete it if it breaks the rules);

http://ztecrescent.blogspot.com/

I only used that for the unlocking as it was clean, uncluttered and to the point. I got into Recovery accidentally and only once but just wanted to unlock on Friday only. Then soon after (minutes) wished I`d de branded and got rid of the Orange stuff. I figured Recovery, flash new ROM, end of and couldn`t get back in there. But hey, my 02 card was working perfectly so I played with new apps instead, but back of my mind (such as it is was in turmoil over de branding and using Restore.

The rest was looking, posting, trying incessantly to get the Restore working. Then I went here (Don`t delete this link Mods, its yours);

http://android.modac...d-now-complete/

Read it 15,000 times and it was logical Captain. That`s life Jim but not as we know it (its not all the pills lol). I only used the 2nd and 3rd rectangles with instructions in as I`d already unlocked elsewhere. Right clicking in the ADB folder while pressing shift should win an award, so much easier than all that tie pin. Sometimes it fails but the main thing is phone switched on and usb cable on then it should work. Be logical where you place the bits and pieces, get them in a folder with subfolders so you can get each part you need at the time you need it, depending on the process you`re on. So I take the ADB folder out of its De Branding archive and on the desktop, do whatever that first post says (forgot already-go read it) then place it back in your De Branding folder when finished. Take the Crescent.zip and for me the SFII.Zip and put them on the root of the SD card, not in a folder. But keep a copy in your De Branding main folder on the desktop, that`s your archive folder in case you have to repeat it any time. Worked for me, logical, easy to follow, not losing folders and files. I use 2 monitors so instructions on one and do the biz on the other. Had to use the lappy too cos the main puter won`t work with and SD card above 2 gig and then only certain ones.

Don`t do what I did and forget to put both parts on the Micro SD Card. Then make it worse by forgetting to use the blooming SFIIkernel.zip straight after the Crescent.zip. no wonder the thing was unresponsive. Don`t be in a rush, calm that heart beat a little, get a cuppa, take your time. Do it when the kids are in bed and tell the missus sex has to wait. You have a missus? I told the dog to STFU instead. Ok, give her the best 2 mins of her life first and come back after a snooze. OK, so I went back and managed to get into Restore but its still hit n miss, tried two apps and they just sit and stare at you. Anyway, got back in and put the stock ROM on then rebooted. Got back in to Restore after two failed attempts. This time the Crescent.zip and the SFIIkernel.zip were on the MicroSD card and I made it the 16gig I bought, kept the stock ROM on the 2 gig supplied with the phone, put a piece of paper in to say what was on it. Proceed something like this;

Enter Restore (ha, if you`re lucky). Something like install from zip on SD Card? Press vol down to get to it, press Home to select it. Press vol down to get to it + Home to select. And maybe I had to press vol down to get to the right line, then HOME to select. Use the symbol on the far right bottom of the SFII that looks like UNDO and works like BACK to go back to the start. Then repeat all the Vol downs and Homes to locate the SFIIkernel.zip and install that. NOTE. Crescent.zip is same for the SFII and the Vivacity, SFIIkernel flashed straight after the Crescent if on SFII or the Vivacitykernel.zip if on the doo da diddy (Vivacity?), gotit? Then keep pressing back until you reach the main menu and restart the phone by Vol up/down and HOME to select.

OK, this helped. Its a video for the Orange Monte Carlo but the thing is it puts all the text into perspective when you see a similar operation carried out on the screen. Watch it a few times but don`t forget you`re on a different phone so treat it a little with a pinch of salt (not the phone, D`oh!).

http://community.gif...ee/ba-p/2432091

Look here for a free Partition Manager for the SD Card;

http://www.partition...on-manager.html

I set both partitons to Primary and split the 16 gig into roughly two 8 gigs. 7.5 each to be honest is nearer the mark as you lose some to the system or whatever the latest excuse is to rip us off on sizes. I set Fat32 as it was over 4 gig and then set the second half to EXT2 so it was suitable for APP2SID to transfer files from the phone to the MicroSD Card and back. One partition isn`t seen by windows but thats the EXT2 part for APP2Sid and that`s a free app in the market, was on the first time I used Crescent but couldn`t find it again so I downloaded and installed it. You need to save the contents on your PC before you partition, I floated them back afterward and test the card, make sure it and APP2Sid works if using it, you don`t have to. Delete the crescent.zip and the SFIIkernel.zip from the SD card but keep an archive copy on your puter to use again. It won`t do anything to leave it there but you want to save space right? Space is the final Front Ear they say.

I then got Power Manager and paid 62p on the puter link cos it declined my card on phone. turned out to not be registered with Google wallet but typically goes all around the houses without telling you straight. I`d tried the trial and it`s well worth the considerable expense. I put all my apps on and especially K9 Email, it`s the dogs wotsits! App2SD moved the apps that could be moved to the SD card and the phone is cooking on gas now. Got Titanium Backup and was brave, backed up 6 files then said stuff this for a game of soldiers. Paid just shy of £4 to license it, spam filter changed back on me and I lost it but they kindly resent after I proved I was me and me wasn`t you or him or her or them.

Right we`re cooking on rocket Fuel now, not gas. Phone is brilliant! thanks for helping all you guys and you know who, any guyesses too. Finally, tried Real Racing too and downloaded tween 400 and 500mb before I could play it. I did not expect much of an 800 CPU and low memory. the SFII played it brilliantly and no lag that I saw, great gameplay, fantastic graphics and no waiting around. Phone got very warm, phone power was well under control with Power Manager (and the car power too lol). Tried the video playback and it was superb so I had to splash my very limited funds again for £4.75 to get the full version. Done in minutes from the game too, very impressed.

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest snowbord

OK. Have managed to get Flibblesan's rom on now. However, I went through the whole unlocking process again, and flashed the rom after I flashed the crescent file and the kernel back on. I still can't get into cwm recovery (orange writing?). It just keeps going into stock(?) recovery (blue writing? and no select button!!). Also, when I boot holding the power and vol+ buttons, nothing seems to happen? even after a minute or so. The only way I can get into recovery is thru rom manager, but that takes it back to stock recovery (blue writing). Anyway, it's the wife's phone (Xmas pressie!!) and I've done what I needed to. So thanks for everyone's help on this thread.

When you unlock, CWM is installed on the system partition from what I can tell. When you install a ROM, this gets erased, hence no CWM. TPT flash your phone with the 160 system, 40mb cache layout. The TPT includes CWM as part of the appropriate partition, so it will not get erased and you will be able to change rom with ease.

http://android.modac...-vivacity-tpts/

Best way to flash TPT - unarc so you have an image/ directory on your SD card, then run a ROM, go to settings / about / system upgrade and let it do it's thing.  The phone will then reboot into CWM which will have been permanently installed on your phone.  Flash the rom again and you are all done, with CWM permanently installed, with the added bonus of having optimised app storage  space.

Edited by snowbord

Guest brewskeyboy

Hi all,

Thanks for your guide. With a lot of time and effort, I finally got my SFII unlocked. However there are some issues with the debranded ROM I used and I'd like to switch to the stock ROM. I didn't want to mess it up at this point, so if someone can explain how to change the ROM in very beginner instructions, I'd be very thankful. I'm a real noob to all this, sorry!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks

Will

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Hi all,

Thanks for your guide. With a lot of time and effort, I finally got my SFII unlocked. However there are some issues with the debranded ROM I used and I'd like to switch to the stock ROM. I didn't want to mess it up at this point, so if someone can explain how to change the ROM in very beginner instructions, I'd be very thankful. I'm a real noob to all this, sorry!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks

Will

Will, I hope to unlock my SF2, if I can get windows to recognise the phone! What issues are there with the debranded rom? Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest brewskeyboy

Will, I hope to unlock my SF2, if I can get windows to recognise the phone! What issues are there with the debranded rom?

I'm not sure if it's the same one, but I used the one from this guide: http://ztecrescent.blogspot.com/2011/12/osf-ii-unlocking.html?showComment=1324914268471#c8647294909430763874

The alarm clock has been removed in the ROM and so I wondered if other functions may also be missing.

The biggest issue though is the touchscreen, which is not set up right. Typing is virtually impossible as you have to press the key to the left of the one you actually want. Seems to work okay in landscape mode though. I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue with the touchscreen and that a new ROM will sort it.

Guest Reider59

I'm not sure if it's the same one, but I used the one from this guide: http://ztecrescent.b...294909430763874

The alarm clock has been removed in the ROM and so I wondered if other functions may also be missing.

The biggest issue though is the touchscreen, which is not set up right. Typing is virtually impossible as you have to press the key to the left of the one you actually want. Seems to work okay in landscape mode though. I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue with the touchscreen and that a new ROM will sort it.

I could be wrong but if it was the R1 ROM in that post its an older ROM anyway and probable needs a stock kernel flashed straight after the ROM flash, before you restart the phone. I`d go back to the start of this particular thread (page 1) or refer to my post #157 (page before this one) in here as I had the same problem with the keys, but realised I missed the stock kernel. What I did was go back to the Recovery screen with the Crescent.zip AND the correct stock kernel.zip for my SFII on my MicroSD Card, the Vivacity and the SFII can use the same Crescent.zip but a different stock kernel file because the Vivacity has different buttons and stuff.

I re flashed this time by choosing the Crescent.zip (get from page 1) on the SD Card, not the more normal update.zip. Soon as that completed and before I reset the phone via the Recovery screen I once more got it to flash a .zip file from the SD card, this time it was the correct kernel.zip file for my SFII (again on page 1 of this very thread). Once done I went to the Recovery and set it to reboot the phone. All is now more than sweet and the keys work perfectly.

I`m no expert so feel free to wait for advice from more experienced posters......

Steve

Guest silverblack

Do you need to install clockwork or the rom before unlocking ?

Ignore that all done now just taken a while to get back into android again :D

Edited by silverblack

Guest hebdomad

WARNING: I ADVISE AGAINST THIS FOR THE TIME BEING UNTILL I UPDATE IT. Come back say, December 27th. K? K. Thx! Lolz.

Hi All,

Had some great info when unlocking the SF1 last Xmas - Thanks.

Just received the TMV as an Xmas gift and want to unlock to O2. The thread title says "updated now complete" but the 1st post has the above quoted warning.....is this info up to date and, as I can see from the posts lots of unlocks successful, OK to go ahead with? :unsure:

Again thanks in advance :D

Guest brewskeyboy

I could be wrong but if it was the R1 ROM in that post its an older ROM anyway and probable needs a stock kernel flashed straight after the ROM flash, before you restart the phone. I`d go back to the start of this particular thread (page 1) or refer to my post #157 (page before this one) in here as I had the same problem with the keys, but realised I missed the stock kernel. What I did was go back to the Recovery screen with the Crescent.zip AND the correct stock kernel.zip for my SFII on my MicroSD Card, the Vivacity and the SFII can use the same Crescent.zip but a different stock kernel file because the Vivacity has different buttons and stuff.

I re flashed this time by choosing the Crescent.zip (get from page 1) on the SD Card, not the more normal update.zip. Soon as that completed and before I reset the phone via the Recovery screen I once more got it to flash a .zip file from the SD card, this time it was the correct kernel.zip file for my SFII (again on page 1 of this very thread). Once done I went to the Recovery and set it to reboot the phone. All is now more than sweet and the keys work perfectly.

I`m no expert so feel free to wait for advice from more experienced posters......

Steve

Thanks for your advice. If anyone can confirm this? I'm not sure this is the case, as my WIFI work and the keyboard is functional, just not aligned correctly.

It should work fine, just remember to flash the stock rom for your TMV after flashing the custom rom without restarting the phone in between

I'm not sure if this was a reply to me or not. If anyone could help me to get the stock ROM put on my phone instead of the debranded one. I'm afraid I'm not following any of the terms such as flashing as I just went through the steps on a simple guide on This blog. If anyone could please explain the process in a simple step plan, that'd be awesome. Thanks loads.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Decided to have a go today at unlocking my SF2. I can't even get started, windows 7 doesn't recognise the phone. I've installed the relevant files from Bouncer5's post and windows goes through the motions of adding hardware when I attach the phone, and saying successful but the sd card doesn't show up. (Ah, I see that's because de-bugging is on) I can't see any reference to android device in device manager (not sure if I should). When I plug the phone in I can't get into FTM, all I can get is the volume control. Any ideas?

Do I need to run osf2 unlock first?

Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Yes run the OSF2 unlock which should install clockwork on your phone, once you have clockwork on there you're good to go, you'll be able to flash any rom on it.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Yes run the OSF2 unlock which should install clockwork on your phone, once you have clockwork on there you're good to go, you'll be able to flash any rom on it.

I get green man/vibrate but no ftm. How long should I have to hold for it? Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest brewskeyboy

Hi guys

Further to my previous post about flashing a new ROM, I've tried to work it out and use the Crescent ROM. However on boot, after the green Android man, the screen is stuck on the Google logo. Help?! Slightly panicked! Thanks.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Hi guys

Further to my previous post about flashing a new ROM, I've tried to work it out and use the Crescent ROM. However on boot, after the green Android man, the screen is stuck on the Google logo. Help?! Slightly panicked! Thanks.

Just finished mine and the google logo stayed for ages but eventually booted in. Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Got in to FTM. Trying to flash unlock but start greyed out...

Happy days!!! Just successfully flashed my SF2 and everything working well. Thanks to everyone for their help and patience, especially since I've asked a few newbie questions! :D

Guest brewskeyboy

Just finished mine and the google logo stayed for ages but eventually booted in.

Thanks for your advice. Mine's been on it for 15 minutes now.... How long did you wait? The logo flashes off but then comes back on.