[FAQ] Rooting for beginners. [UPDATED 24-02-13]

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi everyone, yesterday I recieve Medion P4310 and I have a few questions... Is this "Super User" like Unlock the phone, because the phone is locked to work with german operator, but I want to use it in Bulgaria, and if it's not, how can I unlock the phone to work with other sim cards ?? :) 10x everyone

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi everyone, yesterday I recieve Medion P4310 and I have a few questions... Is this "Super User" like Unlock the phone, because the phone is locked to work with german operator, but I want to use it in Bulgaria, and if it's not, how can I unlock the phone to work with other sim cards ?? :) 10x everyone

Hi i also have the Medion P4310 and its not simlocked I use it in Belgium.

And no super user is not unlocking, the links for unlocking ar at the bottom in the links section.

I dont think there are simlocked Medion phones. Have you tried putting a new sim in LOL :P

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Wacky.ddw
I think you should let users know that after rooting, wifi stop working.

what are you talking about blink.gif After unlocking maybe, but rooting is pretty safe :P

Maybe you are mistaking rooting with, sim unlocking. The only thing that could happen is that your phone gets in a bootloop if you do superboot for the wrong android version. And i warned people so if you just follow this tutorial you should be fine.

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Hologos

what are you talking about blink.gif After unlocking maybe, but rooting is pretty safe :P

Maybe you are mistaking rooting with, sim unlocking. The only thing that could happen is that your phone gets in a bootloop if you do superboot for the wrong android version. And i warned people so if you just follow this tutorial you should be fine.

Dude, Im not mistaking anything.. I followed the guide step by step and after rooting, wifi stopped working. Since it's not my phone Ive done some research and I found on the internet that it does mess something in kernel.

So I flashed back to Stock ROM but with ROOT and CWM included.

This was the build on the phone before I tried to root it:

IMG_20111225_135356.jpg

I'm just saying that if it happened to me it can happen to someone else. And people should be aware of that.

Edited by Hologos

Guest Wacky.ddw

Ok i believe you.

Did you change your rom or did you do superboot? And did you solve this yet. If not try flashing a other ROM and see if that soved it.

If other people also have this problem i will add it to the tutorial, but this is the package from a other topic wich has 13 pages and no one reported this problem.

Guest Hologos

Ok i believe you.

Did you change your rom or did you do superboot? And did you solve this yet. If not try flashing a other ROM and see if that soved it.

If other people also have this problem i will add it to the tutorial, but this is the package from a other topic wich has 13 pages and no one reported this problem.

All I did was:

1) installed all necessery drivers

2) ran 1_Install_Android_2.3.5_root.bat

when the phone booted, I couldnt start up Wifi. I went to Settings -> Wireless

and under the checkbox in Wi-Fi column there was ERROR.

So I downloaded stock ROM (it was modified - root was already included and cwm too) and flashed it.

All data in the phone were lost but nothing important since it was sinced and apps can be downloaded again.

Guest Wacky.ddw

Weird blink.gif

I have a other build, for me and others it worked without problems. But i did clockworkmod first and changed ROM.

I only tried superboot afterwards in purpose of the tutorial, since i dont understand why people would stay at the slow and crappy stock orange or ZTE ROM.

imo flashing clockworkmod and custom ROMs is the way to go.

If other people also report this problem i wil edit the tutorial.

Anyway im glad you solved it :)

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Atomix86

All I did was:

1) installed all necessery drivers

2) ran 1_Install_Android_2.3.5_root.bat

when the phone booted, I couldnt start up Wifi. I went to Settings -> Wireless

and under the checkbox in Wi-Fi column there was ERROR.

So I downloaded stock ROM (it was modified - root was already included and cwm too) and flashed it.

All data in the phone were lost but nothing important since it was sinced and apps can be downloaded again.

You probably used the 2.3.5 superboot that has the wifi error. Look later in the thread for the fixed one.

Guest Wacky.ddw

You probably used the 2.3.5 superboot that has the wifi error. Look later in the thread for the fixed one.

Ok thats my bad then, the link in the tutorial is the one with the wifi error then. I will change the links.

My apologies

Edit: yea they are talking about the same problem HERE

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Wacky.ddw
Part 4) Installing Superboot for beginners. (Johnny Hung’s package)

Please check your android version first. Go to: “Settings > About phone > Android version” Only continue if you have “2.3.4” of “2.3.5” else you could get your phone in a bootloop. If the version matches download this package: LINK

I changed the link in the part i quoted, that should be the right one.

But johnny hung uploaded a separate “super2root.img” in this post: LINK. Should i download that and replace it with the one in the package and reupload that. Or was that just a fix for that person?

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Hologos

I changed the link in the part i quoted, that should be the right one.

But johnny hung uploaded a separate “super2root.img” in this post: LINK. Should i download that and replace it with the one in the package and reupload that. Or was that just a fix for that person?

This is the first time I have encountered with ZTE device and it's my mother's.

I don't know ZTE much so I'm afraid there is high chance it becomes damaged.

And I don't want to lose warranty (from my friends stories I heard techs doesn't look for Superuser app but they look for Custom ROMs).

That's why I don't want to change ROM.

Guest Wacky.ddw

You would have to do much to completely brick it, if you have clockworkmod installed you also lose your warranty.

Imagine you need to send it back for warranty purposes, they hang the phone to their computer and reboot into recovery and see the stock recovery is replaced with clockworkmod. I guess they won’t give you warranty either. Then when they boot they get things like bla bla granted by super user…

If you ever want to go back to complete stock you can follow the part on that in my tutorial. Oryou could download a TPT put it on your SD card power on with volume + and power.

I recommend you completely unroot it before you send it back .

Edited by Wacky.ddw

I'm so confused, when i had my OSF all i did was download Universal Androot & Titanium as I just wanted to delete the Orange crap. This is so much more complex and I've downloaded the drivers, the phone rebooted etc but i can't see any Clockwork Mod on my phone. And it shows in device manager as ADB Interface, not what was said above.

Also don't want to risk losing Wi-fi as I'm probably too noob to fix it.

Is there not a more straight forward way to just delete the stock apps?!

Btw the guide is great really grateful for the work that's gone into it, I am just a worrier and don't want to break my new phone.

Okay an update, i think i got my head around it... i now seem to have Superuser showing in my apps list, i've deleted some stock apps using Titanium and my internal memory has dropped from 47mb to 36mb... lol. No clue why that happened. But wi-fi seems ok so far

Edited by Pia23

Guest Wacky.ddw

Okay an update, i think i got my head around it... i now seem to have Superuser showing in my apps list, i've deleted some stock apps using Titanium and my internal memory has dropped from 47mb to 36mb... lol. No clue why that happened. But wi-fi seems ok so far

Yea wifi should work fine, the problem was the layout from the tutorial got screwed up, so all the links where gone. So the link was missing and there where 2 packages in the Superboot topic. hologo probably used the oldest one.

Dont be afraid, its not that difficult fixing the wifi.

So its all working?

Yea wifi should work fine, the problem was the layout from the tutorial got screwed up, so all the links where gone. So the link was missing and there where 2 packages in the Superboot topic. hologo probably used the oldest one.

Dont be afraid, its not that difficult fixing the wifi.

So its all working?

Thank you, yeah all working great now , got rid of most crap but didn't seem to gain any internal memory for it, I've got 40mb roughly, seems worse than OSF considering this supports apps 2 sd.

Guest Wacky.ddw

Thank you, yeah all working great now , got rid of most crap but didn't seem to gain any internal memory for it, I've got 40mb roughly, seems worse than OSF considering this supports apps 2 sd.

I never tried that, since i never had orange crap :) My phone is a german one, the only thing that i wanted to get rid of was the ugly bootscreen.

I have cyanogenmod 7 and link2sd and i never have problems with internal space.

Guest Wacky.ddw

For some reason my layout allways starts looking like this if i edit the tutorial to much. And tis really pissing me off!

If somehow your phone is bricked and can’t boot into android OS anymore. There are a few options that could restore your phone. You should read this very carefully or you could make things worse. And always be sure you are using the right files. Below is a list of methods, the easiest and most recommended method comes first.<br style="color: rgb(75, 75, 75); font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Georgia, Courier, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(249, 250, 251); "><br style="color: rgb(75, 75, 75); font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Georgia, Courier, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(249, 250, 251); ">Here is an example of a bricked ZTE blade, a bricked skate should look the same.<br style="color: rgb(75, 75, 75); font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Georgia, Courier, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(249, 250, 251); "><br style="color: rgb(75, 75, 75); font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Georgia, Courier, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(249, 250, 251); "><br style="color: rgb(75, 75, 75); font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif, Georgia, Courier, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(249, 250, 251); ">

For some reason my layout allways starts looking like this if i edit the tutorial to much. And tis really pissing me off!

I think your post is becoming too big, I could "donate" you my post just below it if you want it.

(By donating I mean if you need an update on something you could send it to me and I could add or change it for you)

Guest kazoooo

Very good introduction Wacky. Made sense on the CWMs and TPTs.

I came across an issue today when trying to get back to the stock rom from CM7. Just had some wifi and proximity issues with CM7, otherwise it was very good.

I extracted the boot.img, splash.img, recovery.img and system.img and tried the adb method. Fastboot managed to replace the first 3 images but system failed because of some size issue. Luckily I had ClockWorkMod recovery to boot into and flash my stock backup.

Did some searching and it appears that fastboot has a limit on files size it can handle so this method is not suitable for stock roms as they all seem to be 200MB+.

Edited by kazoooo

Guest Wacky.ddw

I think your post is becoming too big, I could "donate" you my post just below it if you want it.

(By donating I mean if you need an update on something you could send it to me and I could add or change it for you)

Thanks if i ever need it i will ask :) But i think its pretty complete now. I cant think of anthing i could add.