[FAQ] Rooting for beginners. [UPDATED 24-02-13]

Guest Wacky.ddw

Guest Wacky.ddw

Very good introduction Wacky. Made sense on the CWMs and TPTs.

I came across an issue today when trying to get back to the stock rom from CM7. Just had some wifi and proximity issues with CM7, otherwise it was very good.

I extracted the boot.img, splash.img, recovery.img and system.img and tried the adb method. Fastboot managed to replace the first 3 images but system failed because of some size issue. Luckily I had ClockWorkMod recovery to boot into and flash my stock backup.

Did some searching and it appears that fastboot has a limit on files size it can handle so this method is not suitable for stock roms as they all seem to be 200MB+.

Thanks.

Yea i think everyone has the proximity issue sometimes. Have you tried recalibrating? On CM7 i allso have this problem when i restore a clockworkmod backup. When flash cyanogenmod i reboot, then flash it again without wipes. Then i recalibrate the sensor and i have no problems then.

For the fastboot part, someone else also said me this yesterday. If you flash the backup you made with clockworkod, and then flash only the stock recovery partition trough fastboot you are allso at stock.

I cant think of a other way to go back to stock.

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Hi. I realise my problem may be a windows problem but my computer cannot find the android_winusb.inf driver from the google usb folder. Have tried several times but im getting nowhere, windows fails to see it. Have followed the instructions to the letter.

Any tips on what to do would be great.

Thanks

Guest Wacky.ddw

could someone upload the "

TWM_Fantastic_T3_Root_Packge.rar" as the link in the guide doesnt work

I dont have it here, i have a package to flash clockworkmod 4.0.1.5 im uploading it.

Everything is the same as in the tutorial except you have to click "install-recovery-windows.bat"

LINK: http://minus.com/mbaeBP2yjl#1

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest grh2g46

I dont have it here, i have a package to flash clockworkmod 4.0.1.5 im uploading it.

Everything is the same as in the tutorial except you have to click "install-recovery-windows.bat"

LINK: http://minus.com/mbaeBP2yjl#1

Thanks, what about superboot? that was included in the original package. im not sure if i want to flash a new ROM yet

Guest Wacky.ddw

Thanks, what about superboot? that was included in the original package. im not sure if i want to flash a new ROM yet

I dont have it on this computer, im going to see if i have it on my other computer.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D7NKE5AR

Thats the wrong link, it works but your wifi wont work afterwards i will ask johnny hung if he could reupload it :)

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest TrollFaceEngaged

Hi. I realise my problem may be a windows problem but my computer cannot find the android_winusb.inf driver from the google usb folder. Have tried several times but im getting nowhere, windows fails to see it. Have followed the instructions to the letter.

Any tips on what to do would be great.

Thanks

The exact same thing has happened to me. My computer cant find the android_winusb.inf from the google usb folder. can anyone help?? (im using windows 7)

Edited by TrollFaceEngaged

Guest monographix

to clearify my initial confusion : If i want to backup the whole phone before i touch it, before i even use cloclworkmod, to back up even stock recovery partition (and stock rom ofcourse and everything), what do i do ? And how i restore it from these backups to its stock (orange) state ?

Guest Wacky.ddw

to clearify my initial confusion : If i want to backup the whole phone before i touch it, before i even use cloclworkmod, to back up even stock recovery partition (and stock rom ofcourse and everything), what do i do ? And how i restore it from these backups to its stock (orange) state ?

You cant backup your whole phone :) thats why i state in the beginning you have to look what your stock is and see if there is a backup available.

You allways need two of the same phone's

One phone where you change the boot image, so you can dump "recovery.img, system.img, splash.img"

One phone where you cange the recovery, so you can dump the boot.img

And if you put the dumps from these 2 phones togetter you have a full dump :)

So conclussion, unless you still have a untouched phone of the same kind its not possible. But most stock ROMs are allready available.

hello every body

i have a montecarlo phone from optimus (zte skate i think) with 2.3.5 and iĀ“m completely rooky in this area .

i allready flash the recovery with the tutorial in the 1ĀŖ page, and i have some doubt about a few things, can i root the phone with the same tutorial and stay in the stock rom?

it is safe to do the tutorial? i read that i will lost the wifi, is this true or it is all ready fixed with the current links to 2.3.5? If i flash a cyanogenmod 7 it is all ready rooted and if i go back to stock rom it remains rooted?

sorry for all the questions and my bad english.

Guest Wacky.ddw

hello every body

i have a montecarlo phone from optimus (zte skate i think) with 2.3.5 and iĀ“m completely rooky in this area .

i allready flash the recovery with the tutorial in the 1ĀŖ page, and i have some doubt about a few things, can i root the phone with the same tutorial and stay in the stock rom?

it is safe to do the tutorial? i read that i will lost the wifi, is this true or it is all ready fixed with the current links to 2.3.5? If i flash a cyanogenmod 7 it is all ready rooted and if i go back to stock rom it remains rooted?

sorry for all the questions and my bad english.

Fist rooting and changing ROM is a different thing. If you want to change to cyanogenmod or better Atomic, you can flash a ROM without having to follow the rooting part of the tutorial. Its in the index which part that is. :)

The second question: Yea it is safe but the package is currently offline. The one that you should use with this tutorial doesnt break the wifi, but the link is offline and i dont have it on my computer anymore. So i have to wait till someone upload's it again. Or the megaupload server goes back online. But again if you want to change your rom just flash a ROM trough clockworkmod it is in the tutorial.

You can allways try to download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3QHBRBJ9

the 3th question: No root is ROM dependent, so if you flash back to a ROM that doesnt have super user installed to it root wil be gone. So if you flash back to stock rom you wil have your full waranty back, i guess thats why you want to know right?

There answers might not be 100% acurate but its explained so you could understand :)

I hope this makes things more clear?

btw: your english is fine, mine isnt better :)

Edited by Wacky.ddw

thank you for the faster answer

yes if i go back is for have my full warranty back, if something happen to the phone.

another thing can i flash back with the image to wave the recovery stock, for example, i have an original stock rom of the montecarlo, i opened and i saw a recovery.img , is this the image of the original recovery? is the recovery stock the same for all the montecarlo ?

Edited by hacrn

Guest Wacky.ddw

thank you for the faster answer

yes if i go back is for have my full warranty back, if something happen to the phone.

another thing can i flash back with the image to wave the recovery stock, for example, i have an original stock rom of the montecarlo, i opened and i saw a recovery.img , is this the image of the original recovery? is the recovery stock the same for all the montecarlo ?

I guess so, i have the P4310 model that is only sold in germany. We dumped the full ROM and the recovery was the same as the one in the monte carlo sold in england. But if you want to be sure download a app to see your stock build, and post it here.

Normally there should be a stock backup for your phone, so if you just flash those partitions back after you changed your Rom, you wil have full waranty.

Since you allready have clockworkmod you can can try and find the backup for your phone and flash only the recovery back.

But if the package you said is the same as your phone then yes that is your original recovery.

I guess so, i have the P4310 model that is only sold in germany. We dumped the full ROM and the recovery was the same as the one in the monte carlo sold in england. But if you want to be sure download a app to see your stock build, and post it here.

Normally there should be a stock backup for your phone, so if you just flash those partitions back after you changed your Rom, you wil have full waranty.

Since you allready have clockworkmod you can can try and find the backup for your phone and flash only the recovery back.

But if the package you said is the same as your phone then yes that is your original recovery.

the file i sad ishere the one "OPT_P743TV1.0.0B09" and this line "ro.build.software_version=OPT_P743TV1.0.0B03" is the same on my phone so i presume that is the original stock rom, but my question is if i can with "adb" flash only the file that says recovery.img in the package?

do you have a custom rom instaled in your phone? witch one?

with my backup done by clockwork when i restore, it wil restore everything, contacts, sms, aplications etc?

thanks for yourĀ“s awnsers

Guest Wacky.ddw

do you have a custom rom instaled in your phone? witch one?

with my backup done by clockwork when i restore, it wil restore everything, contacts, sms, aplications etc?

thanks for yourĀ“s awnsers

Yea a nandroid backup (clockworkmod one) will restore everything except your recovery partition, and your first bootscreen (splash.img) but the splash.img is the backup you made.

So if you flash a ROM like Cyanogenmod or Atomic you change all settings add contacts etc you can make a backup and go back to it later. Its quite handy this way you can switch easely between ROMs.

I recommend Atomic but i switch constantly :)

Guest razzmataz1478

Hi

If I'm stuck at the bootloader after my first boot into Atomic, what do i need to do?

Edit: Did the 4th wipe worked :)

Edited by razzmataz1478

Guest Josh92

Hi I'm also stuck, install says completed but getting stuck on the boot screen. Have tried 4th format with no luck..

Using Atomic v3.C.

EDIT: And spoke too soon... Re did the formatting and install and all seems ok thrusfar. Thanks!

Edited by Josh92

Guest Josh92

Just wanted to thank Diehard and everyone else involved in making these tutorials/mods/customs roms etc. Found this tutorial well written to follow. Cheers!wink.gif

Fist rooting and changing ROM is a different thing. If you want to change to cyanogenmod or better Atomic, you can flash a ROM without having to follow the rooting part of the tutorial. Its in the index which part that is. :)

The second question: Yea it is safe but the package is currently offline. The one that you should use with this tutorial doesnt break the wifi, but the link is offline and i dont have it on my computer anymore. So i have to wait till someone upload's it again. Or the megaupload server goes back online. But again if you want to change your rom just flash a ROM trough clockworkmod it is in the tutorial.

You can allways try to download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3QHBRBJ9

the 3th question: No root is ROM dependent, so if you flash back to a ROM that doesnt have super user installed to it root wil be gone. So if you flash back to stock rom you wil have your full waranty back, i guess thats why you want to know right?

There answers might not be 100% acurate but its explained so you could understand :)

I hope this makes things more clear?

btw: your english is fine, mine isnt better :)

hi

i make with this download and now i have superuser instaled but i donĀ“t have wifi , it tell me an error what do i do?

Guest Wacky.ddw

sorry for my last post

i done the superuser procedure and now i donĀ“t have wifi, i anote the adress in my book , how can i fixet it?

Its an easy fix, just take the boot.img from your stock backup and flash it trough fastboot. How to do it is on the first page in part 8

So just take the backup put the boot.img in the adb folder and do "adb reboot bootloader" > "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Its an easy fix, just take the boot.img from your stock backup and flash it trough fastboot. How to do it is on the first page in part 8

So just take the backup put the boot.img in the adb folder and do "adb reboot bootloader" > "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

thankyou i will try