[FAQ] Rooting for beginners. [UPDATED 24-02-13]

Guest Wacky.ddw

Thx for this great tutorial. I have a Medion P4310 and I managed to install clockwork and superuser, but now I have some questions :

* How can I backup and restore a system app like "Medion navigation app" after installing a new ROM. With Titanium Backup you need the pro version to activate "system app migration" to do so. I guess I'll have to pay for the pro version, but the migration option is experimental. Does anyone have experience with this ?

* How can I install the kernel module "tun.ko" for cisco anyconnect vpn ? The tun.ko installer app on the market didn't recognize my Medion Phone. I could install Cyanogenmod and use openvpn, but before I do so, see question above.

I need cisco anyconnect or openvpn to connect to the university WIFI. Actually, I don't understand why vpn-connections are so difficult with android phones, while its no problem with Iphones. Maybe its fixed in ICS ?

Guest Wacky.ddw

Google navigation and Medion navigation is the same thing :) its both free it gives you gps location but you need mobile internet ...

Medion navigation is just a re-skinned version of google navigation so its useless to want it back :) I also wanted to know this in the beginning.

If you want apps you can google mobilism market but you have to search for your self because piracy is not alowed here :)

Hope it helps :)

Edited by Wacky.ddw

OK, thx man .. I'll go on with Cyanogen then ...

Google navigation and Medion navigation is the same thing :) its both free it gives you gps location but you need mobile internet ...

Medion navigation is just a re-skinned version of google navigation so its useless to want it back :) I also wanted to know this in the beginning.

If you want apps you can google mobilism market but you have to search for your self because piracy is not alowed here :)

Hope it helps :)

Guest FoxVictor.be

Part 12b) Flashing splash/boot animation.

Now download this file: LINK this is a flashable clockworkmod .zip if you only want to change your splash screen then replace the "splash.bmp" file and delete the "bootanimation.zip" from the zip you downloaded.

Well, made my own splash.bmp, replaced the one in the linked zip file, transferred it to the OMC. Then flashed it with CWM, to find out the zip won't flash because it is looking for a blade (OSF)? Is there a zip available for the skate as well?

Greetz!

Guest Wacky.ddw

Well, made my own splash.bmp, replaced the one in the linked zip file, transferred it to the OMC. Then flashed it with CWM, to find out the zip won't flash because it is looking for a blade (OSF)? Is there a zip available for the skate as well?

Greetz!

Are u sure you used the right file? "zxandroidboot.zip" if it still doesnt work you can try one of these: http://android.modac...h-screens-here/

(If you use one of the .zips from the link dont take the stock ZTE & Medion files, they have .img files inside instaid of .bmp files.)

Good luck :)

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Are u sure you used the right file? "zxandroidboot.zip" if it still doesnt work you can try one of these: http://android.modac...h-screens-here/

(If you use one of the .zips from the link dont take the stock ZTE & Medion files, they have .img files inside instaid of .bmp files.)

Good luck :)

Hi dear... im in big trouble i tried this blog the few steps on http://android.modaco.com/topic/343587-guide-de-bricking-a-zte-blade/ method 5 i found out that this was ZTE blade..n not V9.. my phone is not powering up only the red led bkink when removed the battery an plug it in again. please help.. PM on [email protected]

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi dear... im in big trouble i tried this blog the few steps on http://android.modac...ng-a-zte-blade/ method 5 i found out that this was ZTE blade..n not V9.. my phone is not powering up only the red led bkink when removed the battery an plug it in again. please help.. PM on [email protected]

So you have a ZTE skate not a ZTE blade?

Try part 10 of this tutorial with this package:"Great Britain Monte carlo T card upgrading instruction & software package" LINK This is a mirror of the official TPT of ZTE's website.

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest the-cypress

Hi everyone,

Im following the tuturial but i'm stuck on the very beggining. The problem is that i can't make the computer to comunicate with the Zte Skate.

-When i run the file "0_Install_CWM_recovery" The console appears and stops with the message"<waiting for device>", and the phone is stuck at the green droid logo.

-When i open the device manager i don't see a Android Phone, just Other Device with a sub folder Android.

-When i try to browse the file "android_winusb" it doesn't appear inside the folder "google_usb_driver", only the folders "amd64" and "i386".

I tried to use both vista and windows 7 OS to do this...same problem on both.

I'm sure it is simple to solve the problem.

Thanx for your help.

Edited by the-cypress

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi everyone,

Im following the tuturial but i'm stuck on the very beggining. The problem is that i can't make the computer to comunicate with the Zte Skate.

-When i run the file "0_Install_CWM_recovery" The console appears and stops with the message"<waiting for device>", and the phone is stuck at the green droid logo.

-When i open the device manager i don't see a Android Phone, just Other Device with a sub folder Android.

-When i try to browse the file "android_winusb" it doesn't appear inside the folder "google_usb_driver", only the folders "amd64" and "i386".

I tried to use both vista and windows 7 OS to do this...same problem on both.

I'm sure it is simple to solve the problem.

Thanx for your help.

I think you are doing something wrong here is how you do it on windows 7:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-install-hardware-or-device-drivers-manually-in-windows-vista/

Guest the-cypress

I think you are doing something wrong here is how you do it on windows 7:

http://www.addictive...-windows-vista/

Thank you Wacky,

That is exactly what i'm doing...the problem is when i select the folder "google_usb_driver" i can't select "android_winusb" because it doesn't appear, as it doesn't recognize the file...it's strange

Edited by the-cypress

Guest Wacky.ddw

Thank you Wacky,

That is exactly what i'm doing...the problem is when i select the folder "google_usb_driver" i can't select "android_winusb" because it doesn't appear, as it doesn't recognize the file...it's strange

When you are here click the second one, then click "all devices" then the next screen it will ask you to browse to the driver

So click "let me pick bla bla" not browse :)

browsefordriver.jpg

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest the-cypress

When you are here click the second one, then click "all devices" then the next screen it will ask you to browse to the driver

So click "let me pick bla bla" not browse :)

browsefordriver.jpg

Great,

Problem solved...Thank you very much Wacky...Can't wait to start installing the Atomic Rom ;)

Guest ziofunk

You cant backup your whole phone :) thats why i state in the beginning you have to look what your stock is and see if there is a backup available.

You allways need two of the same phone's

One phone where you change the boot image, so you can dump "recovery.img, system.img, splash.img"

One phone where you cange the recovery, so you can dump the boot.img

And if you put the dumps from these 2 phones togetter you have a full dump :)

So conclussion, unless you still have a untouched phone of the same kind its not possible. But most stock ROMs are allready available.

Hi, I have a ZTE Skate with an apparently uncommon stock ROM (GB_MODELABS_P743V1.0.0B01). So I'd like to backup the whole phone before starting installing clockworkmod. I might be able to find another identical phone.

Is there a tutorial or more information available about how backing up all the needed images? Thanks.

Guest bartvdv

for those who can't install the

windows 7 usb android driver

look for "android usb driver rev4"

for instance here is a working link and I assume there are many more

http://drivers.softp...Revision4.shtml

perhaps it is better to reffer to this one in the original topic ;-)

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=139077&t=4&i=1

Edited by bartvdv

followed this guide and now have cyonagen 7 installed and running a treat . Thank you so much for all the work you must do

:)

BTW my screen goes off when i make a call now and comes back when i finish , it didnt do that on the orange stock rom :S

just need to see now how to get link2sd working and get bigger card

:)

btw i installed CWM when i unlocked using this guide

http://android.modac...-tutorial-here/

can I just be clear what is going on here, I used the giffgaff tutorial to unlock my omc and hence did not follow the optional part at the end of tillal's tutorial, though I still have all the files so I assume I am still able to run this final operation, but my query is this:-

is this rooting the phone, it seems too easy after reading this thread and wacky's tutorial, the reason I am asking is this equivalent to rooting is because on the 'addictivetips' site they seem to be saying the phone has to be rooted to install CWM "Your phone must be rooted prior to the installation of ClockworkMod." http://www.addictive...-android-phone/

?

Guest Wacky.ddw

Thats not true you dont need to be rooted to install clockworkmod, it would be true if you wanted to flash clockworkmod from android trough ROM manager or something like that. But ROM manager does not support the ZTE skate.

And the tutorial might look difficult but actually its really easy you just have to connect it to your pc, click a file your phone will reboot then you install clockworkmod and voila you have clockworkmod installed. Like i explained in the beginning of the tutorial you dont need to be rooted if you want to install clockworkmod :)

Acutally i never even rooted my phone, i just installed clockworkmod and flashed Atomic and because Atomic is pre-rooted i also rooted the phone :)

I hope it helps :)

Thats not true you dont need to be rooted to install clockworkmod, it would be true if you wanted to flash clockworkmod from android trough ROM manager or something like that. But ROM manager does not support the ZTE skate.

And the tutorial might look difficult but actually its really easy you just have to connect it to your pc, click a file your phone will reboot then you install clockworkmod and voila you have clockworkmod installed. Like i explained in the beginning of the tutorial you dont need to be rooted if you want to install clockworkmod :)

Acutally i never even rooted my phone, i just installed clockworkmod and flashed Atomic and because Atomic is pre-rooted i also rooted the phone :)

I hope it helps :)

think i'm getting there; so for me the best route might be to finish off the last step of tillal's unlocking tutorial and then just select a rooted ROM to flash using the already installed CWM?

Guest Wacky.ddw

sorry for this item, posted in haste, therefore deleted, but still want re-assurance on above if poss,

thanks

Just follow part 2 of the tutorial and you will be fine :) If your phone is unlocked you are ready to follow this tutorial. Thats the only thing the tutorial doesnt cover.

Just follow part 2 of the tutorial and you will be fine :) If your phone is unlocked you are ready to follow this tutorial. Thats the only thing the tutorial doesnt cover.

Have rooted phone now, followed Paul O'Brien's 'superboot' post, with some considerable difficulty, main problem was around getting the pc to recognise the phone, was also a problem when unlocking, that issue needs tidying up in a simple to follow methodology.

Am starting to entertain the thought of installing custom ROM's but am mindful of the sparse nature of info on these, many people are willing to recommend particular ones, and clearly some are more popular than others, but it would be great to have some sort of comparison chart available, do you know of such a thing?

Btw, though I don't appear to have used your tutorial in any one instance so far, it has been invaluable in giving me an oversight of the issues and processes, thanks for this.