[FAQ] Rooting for beginners. [UPDATED 24-02-13]

Guest Wacky.ddw

Maybe it would be fine to put this important information somewhere on visible place:

IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO ROOT THE PHONE PRIOR TO FLASHING ANY CUSTOM ROM.

THE ONE AND ONLY REQUIREMENT FOR INSTALLING CUSTOM ROMS IS TO HAVE CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY FLASHED!

Maybe it would be fine to put this important information somewhere on visible place:

THE ONE AND ONLY REQUIREMENT FOR INSTALLING CUSTOM ROMS IS TO HAVE CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY FLASHED!

have preferred to get to grips with my phone in a step by step exercise, thinking:-

unlocking = level 1

rooting = level 2, and

custom ROMing = level 3

I guess this just reflects my cautious nature and a desire to learn at the same time, and I suspect this is now why I wish to see some sort of ROM comparison before going to level 3.

Not sure if modders would agree with this simple hierarchy, but I wonder if there are levels of understanding beyond this which can be understood in their own right, for instance the discussion over unlocking left me bemused, if such levels of knowledge could be modelled in a systematic and accessible way I for one would like to get there.

Guest Wacky.ddw

Did it :)

Guest Wacky.ddw

Updated the tutorial!

Updated clockworkmod with v5 (thanks to tilal).

Added the download links separately.

Ive added info on how to install drivers on xp and windows 7 separately.

Ive re-writen some parts to make it easier to understand.

Updated the divers package with a better one. (+ the download link was down since megaupload is no more)

Guest Amphoras

Most of the stuff about TPT Helper is correct. The all in one option lets you choose which TPT to use and then checks and unzips it once it has downloaded so you don't have to do each step separately.

Your description of the create your own TPT option is not quite correct. It does let you pick which version of clockwork and partition sizes to use, but it doesn't keep your current rom or data. These will be wiped like with the other TPTs. If you made a backup first with clockwork, you can restore it as long as all the new partitions are big enough for the backup to fit.

Guest Wacky.ddw

UPDATED THE TUTORIAL!

i've changed the clockworkmod part in 3 parts.

Clockworkmod trough TPT

Clockworkmod trough Windows

How to update Clockworkmod trough terminal emulator

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Wacky.ddw

Um, Wacky, I got CWM 4.0.Whatever installed from your guide the first time; Can i just click on the .bat for CWM 5 and it'll install perfectly?

Yes it will keep in mind that the new key combo is "volume up + home + power" :) Or follow part 2c if it doesnt work :)

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest hazydaze

Hi

Sorry for a completely Newbie question but do I need to have my phone unlocked from my Network Provider before I can install Clockworkmod ?

Thanks for any response

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi

Sorry for a completely Newbie question but do I need to have my phone unlocked from my Network Provider before I can install Clockworkmod ?

Thanks for any response

Yes you can, my phone was allso factory unlocked :) Just follow the tutorial from part 2

Guest hazydaze

Yes you can, my phone was allso factory unlocked :) Just follow the tutorial from part 2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am awaiting the unlock code from Orange, I will follow the tutorial once I have unlocked the phone. smile.gif

Regards

Guest razzmataz1478

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am awaiting the unlock code from Orange, I will follow the tutorial once I have unlocked the phone. smile.gif

Regards

Why have you rung orange to get your phone unlocked?

Guest alfa999

Hi I am trying to follow the instructions to install Atomic R7 I have installed Clockwork mod how long should the wipe factory/data take about 25 mins have passed so far with just a man in the centre of the screen. Getting slghtly worried now

Thanks

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi I am trying to follow the instructions to install Atomic R7 I have installed Clockwork mod how long should the wipe factory/data take about 25 mins have passed so far with just a man in the centre of the screen. Getting slghtly worried now

Thanks

You just pressed the power button acidentally :) no worry's as long as you can boot in clockworkmod your good, also wiping cache cant brick your phone.

Guest monographix

trying to update the CWM , installed the Android Terminal Emulator, placed the recovery.img in the root of the sd card, typing the lines "su" etc but all i get a "Flash_image: not found"

Turns out linux is case sensitive. it should be i think "flash_image" (instead of Flash)

Edited by monographix

Guest Wacky.ddw

trying to update the CWM , installed the Android Terminal Emulator, placed the recovery.img in the root of the sd card, typing the lines "su" etc but all i get a "Flash_image: not found"

Turns out linux is case sensitive. it should be i think "flash_image" (instead of Flash)

Ok thanks for pointing that out, i changed it :)

Guest monographix

- how can i tell which partition layout my phone has ?

- can i download the v2a TPT to PC -> sdcard and have TPT Helper applying it ? (is there a download link for V2a ?)