Dragging problem - please help - Christmas present!

Guest jayneuk

Guest jayneuk

Guys I'm really sorry but I'm desperately trying to sort this Vega out for my son for Christmas. I've installed Vegacomb with the upgrade and also the Honey Ice upgrade.

The problem I'm having is that I can't drag any icons or apps. Every time I hold my finger on something to drag it, it launches. Does anyone know why it might be doing that? I have a Vega too and mine is fine.

Please can someone help?

Guest richardmlea

It could be that the touch-screen is detecting multiple touches when you are trying hold for a long press.

It may be the touch-screen needs calibrating. In Honeyice use the calibration app that’s in Shuttle tools. You could also download "touch test" app from the market. This will let you see if there is a touch-screen fault still after calibration.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest gevans3342

It may also be that the screen is locked.. Long press on a blank area of the screen and if it's locked a message will pop up asking you if you want to unlock it..

Guest jayneuk

Sorry, my phone sent that reply 3 times!

I take it back - it isn't fixed :-( Any more ideas, anyone? When I try to press and hold an app to drag it, it launches instead. Can anyone help?

Guest richardmlea

It does sound like another dodgy touchscreen. Have you tried touch test? get it from the market, its free and shows you what the touchscreen is detecting. It will tell you if its detecting one long touch or a few repeated touches.

There is a setting you could try and change but what ever you set it to it should still detect a long press.

Go to settings, accesability, touchscreen gestures and alter the setting to the opposite of whatever its set to at the moment.

Good luck

Guest jayneuk

It does sound like another dodgy touchscreen. Have you tried touch test? get it from the market, its free and shows you what the touchscreen is detecting. It will tell you if its detecting one long touch or a few repeated touches.

There is a setting you could try and change but what ever you set it to it should still detect a long press.

Go to settings, accesability, touchscreen gestures and alter the setting to the opposite of whatever its set to at the moment.

Good luck

I've installed that, and when I move my finger around the screen, it shows a broken line - it draws, then doesn't draw, then draws, then doesn't draw, etc. What does that mean?

Guest richardmlea

I've installed that, and when I move my finger around the screen, it shows a broken line - it draws, then doesn't draw, then draws, then doesn't draw, etc. What does that mean?

That sounds like the touchscreen is not working properly. If it still doing that after calibration then it has a fault. when you press and hold in one spot using touch test is it showing as one touch or is it flashing?

Guest jayneuk

That sounds like the touchscreen is not working properly. If it still doing that after calibration then it has a fault. when you press and hold in one spot using touch test is it showing as one touch or is it flashing?

It's flashing.

Guest jayneuk

It's flashing.

But it seems to be ok until I install Vegacomb. It seems ok on the modstock roms, although I can't tell 100% because I can't get the Touch Test app on there can I?

Guest richardmlea

Vegacomb makes Vega’s run much hotter than moddedstock because it makes proper use of the features of the Tegra2 chipset i.e. hardware acceleration. The extra heat causes some touch-screens to become unresponsive or just bonkers. This is not Vegacomb causing the problem its just showing up a fault that was already there but hidden. If its under guarantee get it swapped, it wil only get worse. if its a refurbished model then it was probably returned by the original buyer because of the faulty touch-screen. I know of a few refubs that have been returned again (for the second tinme)

because of dodgy touch-screens. They all seem to work with stock rom ok at first but after a bit even that will start to fail.

You could install touch test on moddedstock. You could install the market or you could download the program on you pc and install using clockwork mod (on and SD card) or using adb.

Guest jayneuk

Vegacomb makes Vega’s run much hotter than moddedstock because it makes proper use of the features of the Tegra2 chipset i.e. hardware acceleration. The extra heat causes some touch-screens to become unresponsive or just bonkers. This is not Vegacomb causing the problem its just showing up a fault that was already there but hidden. If its under guarantee get it swapped, it wil only get worse. if its a refurbished model then it was probably returned by the original buyer because of the faulty touch-screen. I know of a few refubs that have been returned again (for the second tinme)

because of dodgy touch-screens. They all seem to work with stock rom ok at first but after a bit even that will start to fail.

You could install touch test on moddedstock. You could install the market or you could download the program on you pc and install using clockwork mod (on and SD card) or using adb.

Thank you for your reply. It was a brand new unit, and as far as I know I can just take it back and swap it as I only got it last week. I'm going to do that tomorrow. There isn't one in stock locally so I've got to go 40 miles for it - just hope the replacement isn't the same, that's all!

At a guess, you have the unit plugged in to the charger while doing this?

There is a known issue with the standard charger that causes the the touchscreen to go "Whacky" while it's plugged in, registering multiple touch events for a single press. Unplug the charger and try again, it should be fine ;)

newbe5

Guest jayneuk

At a guess, you have the unit plugged in to the charger while doing this?

There is a known issue with the standard charger that causes the the touchscreen to go "Whacky" while it's plugged in, registering multiple touch events for a single press. Unplug the charger and try again, it should be fine ;)

newbe5

No, it does it all the time :-( I think it must be a fault, so I'm about to take it back - 80 mile round trip so I hope the next one doesn't do it as well lol.

Guest jayneuk

Same thing happening here too. have reverted back to 9n. No probs dragging

Hmm I think I might have to do the same. All 3 Vegas here have dodgy touchscreens intermittently :-/