Enabling Facebook Sync in Ice Cream Sandwich

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest gmoneyrox

On 1/3/12 at 1:45pm CST I got the 99complete and contactsprovider.apk just fine but the sqlite3 says "

The file has been deleted as per a copyright notification."

Guest neonixxx

No problem. Good luck, hopefully you get it working. Please report back if you do. I'd like to see if someone gets this hack working. I've still been unable to.

Guest gmoneyrox

I followed the instructions to a "T", even created the arrays.xml file with the lines of code as outlined in Paul's initial instructions. After completing all of the changes, moves, etc. my GNex won't even boot. It's stuck at the black Google screen with the lock at the bottom, won't even get beyond this to the boot animation sequence. MAJOR FAIL! Thank goodness I did a nandbackup before I attempted this cause it looks like it's the only way to get my GNex back up and running!

G

Guest neonixxx

Damn, yeah good thing for the NAND backup. But if you wanna try it, try simply deleting the script in init.d. Since you're stuck at boot, it's my guess that the startup script is what's stopping your phone from booting into the firmware.

I never actually tried using the script b/c I don't have startup scripts enabled on my rom. I tried an app from the market that supposedly runs a startup script at boot, but it didn't stop my phone from booting.

Guest gmoneyrox

Damn, yeah good thing for the NAND backup. But if you wanna try it, try simply deleting the script in init.d. Since you're stuck at boot, it's my guess that the startup script is what's stopping your phone from booting into the firmware.

I never actually tried using the script b/c I don't have startup scripts enabled on my rom. I tried an app from the market that supposedly runs a startup script at boot, but it didn't stop my phone from booting.

Yeah, i have no idea what the deal is as I am using Paul's most recent ROM. Oh well...

Guest neonixxx

Yeah, i have no idea what the deal is as I am using Paul's most recent ROM. Oh well...

I thought his rom already had this hack installed, doesn't it?

Guest gmoneyrox

I thought his rom already had this hack installed, doesn't it?

Well, it does but the photos don't sync, which is why I was trying to manually get this to work so see if I could get the photos over into my contacts list.

Guest neonixxx

Well that probably explains why it didn't work.

And pictures won't sync at all. That's a known issue. Paul's first post says this:

...First of all, enabling it is pretty easy when you know how! It's not perfect (contact pictures don't sync for some people, statuses aren't synced etc.) but it's a decent start...

Make sure to read everything fully ;)

If you want to sync pictures to your contacts, there's a handful of apps for that in the android market, many of which are free.

A popular one I've seen mentioned a lot is HaxSync, but that one costs 99 cents. I found one called Matcher that worked pretty well, and the "sync all" function isn't just a quick dirty feature like in some other apps such as SyncMyPix (last time I used it that is) where it copies pictures from any match it finds without letting you confirm it. Matcher lets you check the whole list and select which ones it matched correctly before copying over pictures.

I just found this one earlier - Friends Sync - which seems to sync a lot of different info. Haven't tried it yet though.

Something also interesting is FriendCaster, which is an entire replacement for the Facebook app which doesn't have it's syncing ability blocked.

Edited by neonixxx

Guest breakingspell

I can say, using CM9 Alpha 18, with Android 4.0.3 on a Nexus S, it still doesn't work for me, after pushing the proper files and rebooting three times.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I'm stuck. I have a stock rooted Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.2 (Verizon LTE version). I dissambled ContactsProvider.apk with apktool, added the arrays.xml file, rebuilt it, and signed it. I did not make the smali changes to the ContactsProvider.odex file, because I didn't know how to rebuild the odex file. So I downloaded sqlite3, installed it to /system/xbin, chowned, and chmodded it. When I downloaded 99complete, I went to install it, and discovered that the stock ROM does not have a init.d folder (in /system/etc or anywhere else)! So, like I said, I'm stuck. I'm not sure why Paul made the database change this way anyway. Does the database change really need to happen at every boot, or will a one time fix make it work?

I just found this one earlier - Friends Sync - which seems to sync a lot of different info. Haven't tried it yet though.

I tried Friends Sync, and I am happy with it. It works alongside my existing Facebook app with no interference, and it sync contacts well (including pictures). Thanks neonixxx!

• 1 month later...
Guest hisham027

Hi Paul,

The links doesnt work anymore "All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally. "

Appreciate if you could mirror the it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest zabi1

Guys need help. I decompiled miui v4 contacts provider.apk and it didnt have a arrays.xml, so i created one and added in the code in this post, then added a entry for arrays in public.xml

then done step 2, now facebook asks if i want to sync contacts but when i do and go back to contacts, none of the fb contacts are there.

Please help

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bhojo1

there is an issue with the array.xml code on the site... you need to remove the <pre> tags... try this for your arrays.xml

http://pastebin.com/4rFdvpsD

I was able to decompile my contactsprovider.apk and recompile it with both the smali and arrays.xml edits . However as I am already using friendcaster I did n't try it out....

I would strongly suggest not to use the 99complete script as it is a binary that looks like it is meesing with the proc filesystem so I cannot vouch for what it is doing...

C:\Android\d2g>apktool d ContactsProvider.apk

I: Baksmaling...

I: Loading resource table...

I: Loaded.

I: Loading resource table from file: C:\apktool\framework\1.apk

I: Loaded.

I: Decoding file-resources...

I: Decoding values*/* XMLs...

I: Done.

I: Copying assets and libs...

C:\>apktool b ContactsProvider

I: Checking whether sources has changed...

I: Checking whether resources has changed...

I: Building resources...

C:\ContactsProvider\res\values\arrays.xml:2: error: Error parsing XML: XML or text declaration not

at start of entity

Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p,

-F, C:\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL8836820432011147785.tmp, -I, C:\apktool\framework\1.apk, -

S, C:\Android\d2g\ContactsProvider\res, -M, C:\Android\d2g\ContactsProvider\AndroidManifest.xml]

at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:193)

at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:301)

at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Androlib.java:248)

at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:171)

at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:154)

at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:182)

at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:67)

Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL8

836820432011147785.tmp, -I, C:\Users\robinsc\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Android\d2g\ContactsProvider\res,

-M, C:\Android\d2g\ContactsProvider\AndroidManifest.xml]

at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:83)

at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:191)

... 6 more

C:\Android\d2g>apktool b ContactsProvider

I: Checking whether sources has changed...

I: Checking whether resources has changed...

I: Building resources...

I: Building apk file...

C:\Android\d2g>

note my contactsprovider.apk was from cm9 on the droid2global so I do not sugges using the smali file... but the array.xml should be okay...

ContactsProvider_modified_files_CM9.zip

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.