Rooting the SGS2

I bought my first android phone this week (woo!), it's not my first android device (got an advent vega with honeycomb on it).

I'm wanting to install either AdAway or Adfree Android. But they require root, if I root my SGS2 will it void in the warranty in the sense of flashing a flag on the phone itself that can't be undone?

If something happens to this phone that isn't my fault (like a hardware fault for example) I really don't want to be screwed on the warranty just because I wanted root to be able to use adblock essentially. I have zero interest flashing a new rom on here, i'm perfectly happy waiting for the ICS update in the new year.

Guest ojconcentrate

dude you should have total interest in installing another rom on there. cm7 on sgs2 resolves all those little pesky issues that Samsung does seem to see while testing.

dude you should have total interest in installing another rom on there. cm7 on sgs2 resolves all those little pesky issues that Samsung does seem to see while testing.

What issues?

Anyway, i'm still getting the hang of it. (i've now got two phones, my work iphone and the SGS2 which is my personal phone) All i've really done is replace samsungs launcher with Go Launcher Ex and installed a few apps.

I've only had the phone since Monday and for most of this week I've not really used it because I've been sick. So i'm not that familiar with any prioblems.

Guest ojconcentrate

you know... its the little things that bother me. like when you are on silent and vibrate you have two icons in the notification. how the sms (mms) application in recent Samsung firmwares doesn't vibrate when there is a notification. how the. phone vibrates when it's fully charged in the middle of the night even when vibration is off.

its all these little things that Samsung seem to ignore and the cm community have a good eye for.

• 4 weeks later...