[ROM] <<< Fish'N'Chips 7 >>> [2.3.5]

Guest raverrr

Guest Reider59

I purchased my SFII on 23.12.11, as a result of much deliberation and thought. After looking around and considering the available models at my budget I settled on the SFII. The main point, apart from looks, was the following the original San Francisco had and I felt sure this would continue with the new model. I scrimped and scraped and only just got my beloved phone in time for Christmas. I'm a semi invalid and not much spare cash.

I'd already researched the act of unlocking it, getting rid of the Orange flotsam etc. The info and help in this forum was and is just amazing. What I hadn't expected was the huge amount of work you all put in to make the many ROMS. Especially Raverrr, who really made this the best phone ever for me. Even when subsequent ROM changes left out the individual bits I really wanted he sent me an app to fix it and put them back. I tried every FnC and other ROMS but have settled a long time now on FnC 6. This phone, to me, is still the best of the best at my price point. I'm as happy with it now as I was when I first got it. I even just look at it and declare how much I like and appreciate it. The only problem was a battery that went duff within 8 months, I got a proper replacement one for a tenner.

A big big thankyou to Raverrr for all the time he spent on this. Here we are a year on mate and you did the biggest favour anyone could do in spending all that time investigating how to do these things. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family. Once again, a big thankyou because you did make a difference in this god awful world. Thankyou too, to the rest of the people who make this forum and it's tips and help work.

Steve

Edited by Reider59

• 2 weeks later...
Guest taannuk

I understand this ROM does not have Google Talk and it is not in the Market either.

Does anybody know where to get it and how to install?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I installed FNC 7 on my wife's Crescent and after swapping Music2 to the Gingerbread music player (for Bluetooth to work), all functions are working perfectly. Thank you raverr and n4y4nrules.

I noticed that the stock system partition size is 220MB. After deleting older versions of apps like Google Maps, Youtube and SMS Popup from the system partition (as newer versions of these apps installed themselves in the data partition), I have managed to get the memory used in the system partition down to 122MB, as reported via the "adb shell df -h" command.

As nearly a 100MB is wasted in the system partition, I would like to decrease the size of the system partiton and the cache partition (57.5MB!!) and increase the data partition size, using the TPT Helper app. I am thinking of implementing the following memory configuration: 128MB system - 272MB data - 40MB cache and have the following questions:

QUESTIONS:

1. Will there be any adverse effects from removing the older versions of apps from the system partition? I uninstalled the newer app version from the data partition before deleting the old version with adb. I have not experienced any issues so far (4 days).

2. Are the partition sizes reported by the df -h command accurate and will 128MB be enough for the system partition, given that df -h reports 122MB in use?

3. I am using the TPT version of Konsta's Swedish Snow RLS7 on my Blade (works perfectly by the way). I believe that Konsta has implemented a 2MB cache and mapped the cache partition to the data partition (only when required by the Play Store app??) in order to free up more memory for the data partition. Is there anyway I can do the same thing on the Crescent to increase the data partion to well over 300MB? If so, I'd be very grateful for the exact steps to follow, as I don't have much experience with Linux or mobiles.

I am hoping that the experts on this forum can give me their advice on the above questions and any related issues [colour addded 24 Jan]

Thanks in advance.

Edited by danbb

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thomas J Marshall

You need to install recovery before flashing FNC.

I have recovery installed already, just wondering if I flash a new rom will it remove cwm?

Guest reginaldo64

Hi, I've had this rom on my SF2 for a while now and its great except for a fault with bluetooth.

Althought bluetooth works, it constantly errors in the background (as seen from Eclipse debug) and as a result rapidly drains the battery.

I see that this is a known issue.

I understand I should install the "stock" music player using adb - but I don't know how to obtain this.

(I don't understand the alternative methods that involve flashing the kernel?)

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Now found answer in earlier post by Kezzy1965 (used search for "Music").

Instructions worked fine.

Bluetooth errors appear to have disappeared!

Edited by reginaldo64

Guest reginaldo64

OK - found earlier post by Kezzy1965 (using search for Music) - worked fine.

(Added to previous post. Please delete.)

Edited by reginaldo64

Guest Reider59

I had this phone 7 months and then started losing power, reinstalled FnC 6 (my fave) and ran loads of tests. Got a replacement battery for £10 and was happy again a few months. I always always got good power retension up until changing the battery and then after fitting the new one, up until it started again. I put the Micro SD and the 02 card in another non Android phone and decided to use that until I had enough for a new phone. I decided against another new battery, but really hated the fact that I could no longer use this phone, I love it to bits.

The non Android phone went flat overnight and was turned off when I awoke, yet it started with 100% power and I knew this phone normally lasted 5 days+. Straight away I suspected one of the cards, 02 or Micro SD. It turned out it was the Micro SD Card, so I copied the contents, formatted the card in the phone, replaced the contents, started the phone and ran Titanium Backup. Overnight the phone only lost 1% where normally even when I was happy with the power usage it lost 8% overnight. Two days in with slight use I still have 80% power left and I am well happy at this and the prospect of continuing to use the phone I love to bits. The Micro SD Card is a cheap 16gig Adata one and though a more expensive one may have helped people will fit their purchases to their budget. So this is a post to inform others that it's not always the end of the world with power issues and it's not always the most obvious of causes and/or replacements.

Just a FYI and hope it helps someone......

Steve

Guest omegavesko

Hmmm that's useful too know as having battery issues! So will swap sdcard to see results

.anyone know why sd can drain battery?

It's certainly interesting, but I have no idea. It could be some error that causes continuous I/O operations to occur (resulting in wakelocks and bad battery life), but I've never seen this happen before.

• 1 month later...
Guest snowbord

Hey. I've been out of the loop for a bit and have been given a TMV to reinstall.

What is the best / most stable ROM? RLS 6? Any hacks needed to reinstall the original Music app / flash the kernel / fix front facing camera etc? Also fixing the gray checkboxes with the original ones?

I need to have a solid release with no battery drain or not working bits. Thanks!

Guest dodgetimmy

The only reason to install stock music app is for Bluetooth to work, otherwise release 7 is great.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/359781-[ROM]-FNC-RLS8-[2.3.5]Release 8 is also good (it comes with original music app so Bluetooth works out of the box).

My camera isn't upside down and there and there are kernels built into different roms already, even if you need to flash it's easy, just done the same as the rom.

Edited by dodgetimmy