Help choose our MoDaCo charity for 2012

Guest PaulOBrien

Regular readers will know that at MoDaCo we have a long history of supporting charitable causes. We have had a number of charity events and fundraising efforts since our foundation in 2002 and donation links both at MoDaCo, XDA-Developers and elsewhere for my various pieces of work link directly to donation pages at the charities themselves.

In 2011 we have been supporting Cancer Research's Childhood Leukemia effort but it's now time to choose a different charity for 2012... and you can help!

I would love to hear from anyone who has a preference to which charity we should support, especially if you are a MoDaCo regular contributor and you have a specific link to the charity in question. Please reply to this topic with your choice of charity and I promise to read through every suggestion then make a decision. There are a couple of pre-requisites to be suitable as our charity partner, specifically...

• The charity should be UK based or have a significant presence in the UK

• The charity must be a registered charity

• The charity must accept donations directly via the internet (ideally via PayPal or debit / credit cards)

I look forward to reading your responses and hope we can continue to raise a good amount of money for a worthy cause in 2012.

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

There are lots of very good small charities struggling at the moment because the big ones get all the attention..(and behave like large corporations)

How about giving them some publicity and support instead?

The two work for have really been hammered this year (but I'm not suggested that they get support this way)

personally I propose surgeons, who do loads of good work with families (notably young carers) and not just because I used to work for them...

Guest Simon O

Sadly people are more willing to donate to larger well known charities than smaller ones. I don't know if it's because people don't know exactly what work smaller charities do, or if they are reputable charities but it is an issue sadly.

Fards, can you provide some links and information about the charities you are involved in please? It would be great to allow people to find out more and maybe think about supporting them?

Fards, can you provide some links and information about the charities you are involved in please? It would be great to allow people to find out more and maybe think about supporting them?

What he said. :)

P

Guest Reesters

I would like to suggest MacMillan Cancer Support.

My mother survived cancer a few years ago and has said she wouldn't have gotten through it without their help. They did her shopping when she couldn't get out of bed, kept her company when she felt lonely and kept her spirits up.

When my sister lost her husband to cancer earlier this year MacMillan were also there before he passed, to talk Glenn through what was happening to him but also a great support for my sister after he was gone.

This kind of support is invaluable for people going through such a torrid experience.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Whilst Help for Heroes is a great charity, they are quite selective about whom they offer their support to. They have however received a lot of publicity, making them the popular choice. My personal preference would be : Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) - http://www.ssafa.org.uk/

SSAFA tend to go relatively un-noticed, and do amazing work supporting all forces people, and their families too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.