Andy Rubin: 3.7m Android devices activated Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Guest PaulOBrien

Did you get an Android device for Christmas? Do you feel special? Well, you're special to us, but to Google you're one in 3.7m. That's how many Android activations took place on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day according to Andy Rubin, who heads up Android at Google (and founded Android before Google bought them).

The 3.7m figure is significantly higher than the normal ~700k activations per day Android sees, which makes sense really. What I WOULD love to see is a breakdown of those activations by manufacturer / device / territory / device cost / phone vs tablet... there's no doubt in my mind that the stellar numbers are driven as much by Android's penetration into the low end of the market as well as powerhouse halo devices like the Galaxy Nexus. Bear in mind this number doesn't include devices like the Kindle Fire and dodgy Chinese tablets with no Google Services on them, so the number of Android devices getting their first boot was probably even higher!

I wonder what the number will be next year...! :)

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest pedrojaime

Amazing! I think 2012 will mark the turning point for Android in Latin America. In Ecuador at least, a few people I know have recently discovered Android after moving from their beloved Blackberries this Christmas and their reaction is of shock that anything out there can be better than Blackberry or at least as good as iphone. I for one would love to see the worldwide numbers of mobile smartphone platforms..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.