Convert an MKV file to watch via HDMI on Optimus 2X

Guest ruggs1234

Guest ruggs1234

I want to convert MKV 720p files to watch in HD via the HDMI output of my phone.

But the 2X wont play MKV's directly so what settings do I use for smooth HD playback at the highest quality it will support? And what (preferably free) software do people use to do the conversions?

Ive searched around the internet and no-one seems to give a definate answer. All the conversions i've tried work..but the picture stutters.

Any ideas please.

Guest Macheath

Since GB 2.3.4 V20L the Optimus 2x will play mkv by default.

Notice, that mkv is just a container for several codecs and it may not work in every combination.

Also, there are several Video Players on Market which play mkv files.

Use dvdfab to convert video files, this programm is easy to use and can do EVERYTHING. But it is not for free as I remember.

Edited by Macheath

Guest libehv

easiest application for this job would be dvd catalyst 4

where you can just set the encoding profile to optimus 2x

you can even split-encode the video so that you can use higher bitrate without hitting the 4GB file size limit.

or you can use handbrake and ipod profile and change resolution and bitrate

Guest Carbonize

easiest application for this job would be dvd catalyst 4

where you can just set the encoding profile to optimus 2x

Same can be said about Xmedia Recode which is the program I use in my instructions. It also has an LG P990 setting although it doesn't call it the 2X for some weird reason.

Guest ruggs1234

My instructions for converting MKV to MP4 for playing on the Xbox might be useful here - http://carbonize.co....kv-on-xbox-360/

Thankyou for your suggestion. I installed the program you linked to, it seems like a very useful tool generally and im keeping it, but it did not solve the stuttering problem.

(I didnt realise the phone can play MKV files since Gingerbread, tried the MKV files I had, they still stuttered)

I processed my MKV 720p files (American tv shows..nothing special) exactly as you described but they still stuttered both on the phone and through the HDMI out. I even tried the LG P990 setting, with copy ticked and unticked. The files either stutter or play in SD. I have also tried Handbrake using various settings..without success.

Using another player will play the files on the phone ok but the stuttering via HDMI is much worse, almost as though the processor in the phone can't run an external program and deal with the HDMI at the same time.

What frustrates me is that the mp4 HD 1080p LG demo file on the phone plays perfectly through the HDMI out, so the phone CAN do it.

So back to the original question, what software and what settings to I need to use to get HD 720p output to work through the HDMI.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by ruggs1234

Guest arnookie

Thankyou for your suggestion. I installed the program you linked to, it seems like a very useful tool generally and im keeping it, but it did not solve the stuttering problem.

(I didnt realise the phone can play MKV files since Gingerbread, tried the MKV files I had, they still stuttered)

I processed my MKV 720p files (American tv shows..nothing special) exactly as you described but they still stuttered both on the phone and through the HDMI out. I even tried the LG P990 setting, with copy ticked and unticked. The files either stutter or play in SD. I have also tried Handbrake using various settings..without success.

Using another player will play the files on the phone ok but the stuttering via HDMI is much worse, almost as though the processor in the phone can't run an external program and deal with the HDMI at the same time.

What frustrates me is that the mp4 HD 1080p LG demo file on the phone plays perfectly through the HDMI out, so the phone CAN do it.

So back to the original question, what software and what settings to I need to use to get HD 720p output to work through the HDMI.

Any other suggestions?

Mx Video player plays MKV format video files.

Guest ruggs1234

Mx Video player plays MKV format video files.

The video player I refered to im my earlier reply was MX Player. It plays MKV files on the phone ok but stutters badly when the HDMI is used.

I even tried converting my MKV's using exactly the same attributes as the Tegra 1080p demo videos on the phone. The demo videos play great through HDMI...anything converted with the same settings stutters.

I think I will have to chalk this up as an unsolved mystery.

Many thanks to everyone in this thread who tried to help.

Edited by ruggs1234

Guest Macheath
I think I will have to chalk this up as an unsolved mystery.

Simply do the following:

Use 'GOM Encoder' with the following settings:

Profile: H.264

Outputfile: MP4

Tick 'Limit H.264 Baseline Profile@ 1.3/3.0' and choose '3.0'.

You can go up to 20MBps

-->NO FullHD Video will stutter

Guest ruggs1234

Simply do the following:

Use 'GOM Encoder' with the following settings:

Profile: H.264

Outputfile: MP4

Tick 'Limit H.264 Baseline Profile@ 1.3/3.0' and choose '3.0'.

You can go up to 20MBps

-->NO FullHD Video will stutter

Success! Ive learnt from an old XDA thread the phone will only reliably support the Baseline Profile up to 4.1. Ive had some success using the Main profile at 3.0 but im sticking to Baseline 4.0 to be safe. I adjust the bitrate according to file size from 5000 (smaller file size) to 10000 (larger file size) but the quality doesnt appear too different anyway. It takes a while to convert, but I am very happy with the 720p results so far.

(Profile-Custom; Format-MP4; File Extension-mp4; Video Codec-MPEG4 AVC/H.264; Audio Codec-AAC; Make sure on the 'Filter/Previews' tab the resolution is set to 1280x720)

I still prefer to use XMedia Recode, as GOM Encoder is only a trial version, but the clues from the old XDA thread and poster Macheath have finally solved this for me.

Thankyou to everyone in this thread for all your help.

Edited by ruggs1234