[ROM][ZTE Skate] SKatie by Ceco - Android 2.3.5 (DOLBY MOBILE NOW AVAILABLE!!!)

Guest C3C0

A lot of people believe that yes since garbage collector has less work to take care of cache.

Some say it's placebo effect :)

It may speed up scrolling in lists a bit. But not very remarkably.

Guest ukgnome

Version 2.4 now UP! More info in second post.

Excellent - did you improve the non-stock radio or is it still whisper quiet in this revision?

Guest MrDetonator

Are you streaming from internet or playing local file in VPlayer?

As far as I know only SW decoder works for streaming. HW decoder works for local playback only of supported files.

I use MXPlayer and HW decoder works OK at least for videos taken by Skate's camera.

Also tried some movies. If the movie cannot be played by hw decoder it automatically switches to SW decoder.

Have you tried with stock ROM or other custom ROM if it behaves the same way?

When you do full upgrade, your current applications and settings will not be erased.

Yes, now it plays only local files with HW decoder. But about two weeks ago it played streamed files also.

Are your streamed files playing only audio in HW mode too?

Can you share the link from which video streamed hw accelerated? I tried Mxplayer with other rom also and it switches itself to sw fast mode when streaming.

Hi, it seems to be a fast and battery friendly rom, although I have a big problem, I don't have google play, nor market.

I installed 1.1 via CWM on a fully wiped 150/35MB TPT and updated it right away with a cooked update to 2.4, and the market simply isn't there... When I install gapps from cyanogen rom, market is there, but gmail disappears and gives an error when trying to install from market. Thank you for any help, I really want to use this rom. (oh by the way, tried SS RLS7 too, again without market.)

EDIT: in both cases, I skipped the first logging in (together with sync), when promped to on first boot. Now I re-flashed SS and logged in and synced directly from that first screen, and now the google play is there.. strange

EDIT2: okay, so I installed the 1.1, turned on the device, synced, then installed the upgrade and voila, google play is there.

Edited by m4te

Great. Anyway I double check the kitchen. It is possible I omitted play when doing last update and it affects only fresh install with update from 1.1

Edited by C3C0

Guest MrDetonator

Can you share the link from which video streamed hw accelerated? I tried Mxplayer with other rom also and it switches itself to sw fast mode when streaming.

Yes, MXPlayer works like this, playing with SW decoder.

But VPlayer plays files with HW decoder, I tried streaming files by Wi-Fi.

It can open local files but when playing file by Wi-Fi, it fails.

Just share folder and, access them with ES file explorer and select to open with VPlayer.

Edited by MrDetonator

Tried GENERIC_P743V1.0.0B22-update_signed.zip and it behaves the same way.

VPlayer plays only in SW mode when streaming from network. Some files played in HW but had some green bar at the top of of the screen.

Exactly the same behaviour as SKatie. So I don't think there can be anything done about it....

Guest MrDetonator

Tried GENERIC_P743V1.0.0B22-update_signed.zip and it behaves the same way.

VPlayer plays only in SW mode when streaming from network. Some files played in HW but had some green bar at the top of of the screen.

Exactly the same behaviour as SKatie. So I don't think there can be anything done about it....

Yeah, reason is unknown.

Guest mrgpg

Noob Warning..... ;-)

Having ditched my jailbroken iPhone, I opted for the reasonably priced ZTE Skate aka Monte Carlo on Orange PAYO - for the singular purpose of breaking things apart and installing new ROMS -- I was frustrated by the closed eco system of iPhone AND as a teacher, the almost cult-like status of all things Apple. (You'd almost think that all teachers have had a chip implanted that forces them to think that mobile apps must be iSomething).

So, I buy the ZTE and start looking for ROMs and rooting advice.

Firstly, I thought I'd root the device to remove some of the Orange bloatware. Following the advice here >>> Superboot I downloaded the drivers promptly killed the phone, with it refusing to get past the Orange splash screen.

Panic Mode - I grab an install of ClockworkMod and manage to get the phone to boot into Recovery.

Now I need a ROM - In the bag for ROMs where: AtomicMod, CyanogenMod 7 and SKatie.

Having poked around various forums I opted for SKatie due to the apparent ease of installation and the community on this forum.

I download the 1.1 zip and put it in the root of the SD card and boot into Recovery. After wiping the system and cache I flash the new ROM.

It boots first time.

I jump straight to the 2.4 upgrade from the Kitchen - again booting into Recovery and installing from SD Card.

Fully functional phone, with a new ROM. Brilliant.

Having tinkered a bit with over clocking, it is now running happily at 883MHz, lagfree and cfq.

C3C0 - thanks for a great ROM, easy to follow instructions and a great introduction to the world of custom ROMs.

Cheers

MrGPG

You are welcome :) Glad to see this thread alive after some time... I almost forgot about it because I am currently more active in coldfusionX thread

Take care and feel free to ask in case of questions/problems.

Guest PERSCH

Hey there!!! I'm new 2 modaco! :)

I had my Skate since December 2011... In January I installed the Skatie 1.1 ROM.. I used it till this month and then updated to Skatie 2.3 ROM.

Recently I wanted to use the Google Maps, and my GPS coulnd't find any sattelites!

It happend before updating to 2.3 few times, I thought it's because of the weather conditions... But my GPS still doesnt work.

Can anyone help to fix it please?

btw. I have installed some gps apps from the Market, and they show that my phone finds at least 10 sattelites... cant undestand why it's not working.

Thank you very much!

Edited by PERSCH

I would start with the factory reset. If it doesn't work then i would try stock rom. If it still doesn't work with it then it could be a hardware fault.

Edited by C3C0

Guest PERSCH

I would start with the factory reset. If it doesn't work then i would try stock rom. If it still doesn't work with it then it could be a hardware fault.

Well, I have a few important software with information, wich will be destroyed after hard reset. So I don't want to loose that information...

If that was a hardware fault, why when I use a GPS test (or something like that) it finds at least 10 satelites...

I did try GPS Fix - didn't help.

p.s. the gps does not lock the sattelite, it just sees them.

Edited by PERSCH

Well...In this case you don't want to lose data I would try just wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache. I used mytrack soft today while biking and it worked well. It is bound with Google maps.

Guest radiodaze

Interesting. I've struggled to find anything wrong with this ROM whatsoever but just the other day I tried the GPS for Google Maps for the first time. It took so long I was convinced it wasn't working but after about five minutes it came to life. I have another GPS program which measures area and distance and that locates the GPS instantly. Skatie build 2.4.

This really is a great ROM. Thanks C3C0

R

Guest MrDetonator

Maybe you could try this A-GPS fix. Might help...

http://android.modac...od-a-gps-patch/

How can I install this patch, just "Install ZIP from SD" in recovery?

A-GPS works only when you are connected to Internet, right?

I don't use Internet in the streets because it's expensive. So it will not help.

By the way, I use 2GIS navigation program and in stock ROM it found satellites in few seconds.

Edited by MrDetonator

Guest C3C0

Well... With such weak GPS modules smartphones have it very often takes too long to fix the position without

A-GPS help, especially when you move too far from a location in what you were fixed last time.

I don't know if there's anything else to make it better (except for using patched A-GPS).

It also can behave nondeterministically. Sometimes you get a quick fix sometimes it takes too long.

I am using sygic satnav and MyTracks from google and I am always getting instant fix. But I have A-GPS turned on.

Guest MrDetonator

Well... With such weak GPS modules smartphones have it very often takes too long to fix the position without

A-GPS help, especially when you move too far from a location in what you were fixed last time.

I don't know if there's anything else to make it better (except for using patched A-GPS).

It also can behave nondeterministically. Sometimes you get a quick fix sometimes it takes too long.

I am using sygic satnav and MyTracks from google and I am always getting instant fix. But I have A-GPS turned on.

Yes, with A-GPS it works fast too.

How can I install this patch, just "Install ZIP from SD" in recovery?

Are you using 3g or GPRS to use A-GPS?

Sometimes you get a quick fix sometimes it takes too long.

That's right, time to time it works fast or slow.

Guest C3C0

Yes. This should be flashed from recovery (install zip from sd card).

I am using 2G network mode instantly as it has better signal than 3G in my area and thus saves battery.

I switch to 3G only when I need to download larger amount of data faster.

Guest MrDetonator

Here mobile Internet is very expensive, 3Mb of data, by GPRS or 3G costs almost 1$.

Edited by MrDetonator

Guest Camobat

hi all :)

im new to this forum ,being following it for the passed month im trying to get a few answers

i have just updated to 2.4 from 1.1 thinking that might fix issue :(

im running Skatie 2.4 by Ceco Baseband version P743B01 Kernel verison 2.6.35.7-perf+ceco@Hp-Linux #15

Firstly i cant get mobile network to work , it turns on but doesnt work , i have checked sim card in my old wildfire and it works OK in that ( ORANGE)

also since upgrading to 2.4 i have a thin green line across the very top of the screen Any ideas ? :unsure:

Thanks