Where to repair water damaged phone?

Guest precisionpete

Guest precisionpete

Does anyone know any decent ZTE blade repairers?

I managed to drop my mobile in the sea for a brief moment yesterday and washed it with tap water straight away. Unfortunately even though the charging LED still works and there is no obvious signs of damage the phone does not turn on. Is it time for a new phone or can it be repaired?

Cheers

Pete

Guest garethp

If it was me, I would have removed the battery straight away and placed the phone in a warm place e.g. on top of a folded towel on a radiator for a few days to make sure it was dried out completely.

However, as you dropped yours in salt water it may be too late for it as salt water can cause massive damage.

If you can, remove the 8 screws from the back casing and remove that to see if there are any signs of corrosion.

Guest meep.o.matic

I was told yesterday by a worker in the tech assistance of my phone's carrier that if you put the device in a recipient with rice (NOT COOKED! XD) for a day or two it starts to work when you pick it up.

I'm not joking, she really told me this, try it out. It might be your best shot.

If it fails feel free to flame me XD

Guest warwound

But a water damaged phone is just that...

You can try the bowl of rice solution or the methylated spirits solution and you MAY find that your mobile works again.

The fact that your mobile works again does not mean that the water damage has been terminated - at any point in the future your mobile may exhibit faults caused by the original water damage.

Sorry to be pessimistic.

warwound

Guest Maxsas360

Salt water is very bad and corrosive. Salt water has alot of dissolved minerals in it. And as you know distilated water is not conductive, but the minerals in tap water are. Salt makes it worse as it corrodes and shortens contacts. The internals of the phone should be rusty.

Edited by Maxsas360

Guest travellerscross

I dropped mine in the ditch! So got a soaking too!

What I did was take the back panel out, take the sd card and sim card out. Got the hair dryer and in a warm heat I blow dried the back of much water off as possible. Then I got the hoover and put the pipe over the back and sucked up the remaining water and moisture. Did the hair dryer thing again.

Then got a small plactive box and filled up a little of the bottom with rice. Then put the phone in along with the sim and battery and sd card and then more rice on top of it. I put it next to the water boiler where it's warm all the time in order for the phone to dry out.

I left it for four hours and naughtily put the battery back in and switched it on to see if it worked. It did. But immediately took the battery out and turned the phone the other way round and covered it up with rice again. I left the phone in over night and woke up the next morning and cleaned up the rice residue from the phone/card/sd/sim and put it all back together again. It worked for me luckily enough/

Fingers crossed... It should work... Otherwise I have no clue who can repair water damaged phones truth be told.

Edited by travellerscross

Guest Maxsas360

I dropped mine in the ditch! So got a soaking too!

What I did was take the back panel out, take the sd card and sim card out. Got the hair dryer and in a warm heat I blow dried the back of much water off as possible. Then I got the hoover and put the pipe over the back and sucked up the remaining water and moisture. Did the hair dryer thing again.

Then got a small plactive box and filled up a little of the bottom with rice. Then put the phone in along with the sim and battery and sd card and then more rice on top of it. I put it next to the water boiler where it's warm all the time in order for the phone to dry out.

I left it for four hours and naughtily put the battery back in and switched it on to see if it worked. It did. But immediately took the battery out and turned the phone the other way round and covered it up with rice again. I left the phone in over night and woke up the next morning and cleaned up the rice residue from the phone/card/sd/sim and put it all back together again. It worked for me luckily enough/

Fingers crossed... It should work... Otherwise I have no clue who can repair water damaged phones truth be told.

I would keep it in rice for a few days not 12hrs. Just to be sure. Nobody fixes water damage, because you can't guarantee that the phone will be ok for a longer time.

Guest damiensturdy

The rice trick works because it absobs moisture in the air, but it won't speed up the process of drying. If you ever drop an electrical device in liquid, *remove* all sources of power and put it in a warm airated cupboard of some sort (airing cupboard...) and leave it there for a few days *just to be safe*

At any moment in time a single drop of water just has to touch two contacts to blow a chip/component, and the phone, even then, may still seem to work, until later. If you ensure the device has no power this prevents any electricity from shorting out the circuits.

Salt water however- Well, you'll be extremely lucky. It's a bit like dunking the phone in Acid- you probably won't, ever, get it working again.

Someone I know had a laptop on a chair, upside down, and a pint of beer on the table. I knocked the beer over with my head (who has a table behind the sofa....) and the laptop had a bit of a drunken night.

It would have been fine but the owner thought t'd be clever to turn it on after 12 hours, it was still wet *inside* and it crashed during bootup. BRICKED.

• 1 year later...