[ROM][GEN2] Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5)

Guest KonstaT

Guest camille1462

Hi,

I've installed RLS5 few days ago, coming from Fish&Ships, and I am really pleased by this ROM. I don't have GPS reception problems anymore and the ROM is smooth.

My only problem is that the phone doesn't seem to sleep (battery drain): at night while in airplane mode, it lost more than 20% battery. Yesterday, it lost 30% while doing absolutly nothing except waiting...

Is it normal or is the battery still callibrating? I did 3 complete charge discharge cycles.

Thanks

Guest KonstaT

weird, download the gapps for gingerbread, take out every app except the market (vending.apk) then flash it in clockworkmod, that may help. By the sounds of it there may be something up with the apk you're using, possibly corrupt. you could also try before flashing to remove the current market you have installed. Give these ideas a go and let us know how you get on mate

edit: when I did it I just used the market from the appropriate gapps for gingerbread from goo-inside, which I believe are the ones hosted in ROM manager

Using the gapps package for that purpose is a pretty bad idea. It has lines in updater-script that removes all google parts before copying in the new. That'll just leave you without any google apps. ;)

For the original question, just remove MarketUpdater.apk and Vending.apk using e.g. Titanium. Reboot and then install the old market normally.

Hi,

I've installed RLS5 few days ago, coming from Fish&Ships, and I am really pleased by this ROM. I don't have GPS reception problems anymore and the ROM is smooth.

My only problem is that the phone doesn't seem to sleep (battery drain): at night while in airplane mode, it lost more than 20% battery. Yesterday, it lost 30% while doing absolutly nothing except waiting...

Is it normal or is the battery still callibrating? I did 3 complete charge discharge cycles.

Thanks

Doesn't sound normal. Most likely you have some misbehaving app that keeps your phone awake. You can use this app to see what's keeping wakelocks.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest camille1462

I installed RLS6 and BetterBatteryStat, will see and report if anything changes.

Thanks for the QUICK answer and for the amazing ROM ;)

Guest fox2000

For the original question, just remove MarketUpdater.apk and Vending.apk using e.g. Titanium. Reboot and then install the old market normally.

I did this, started Market, accepted EULA and got FC after a few seconds :(

Guest camille1462

my humble way of keeping the old market is to freeze marketupdater.apk with SystemTuner (or the paid version of Titanium backup) and to uninstall the updates of the market (or to replace the vending.apk by the old one directly into the ROM .zip before flashing it)

Edited by camille1462

Guest jventura

Hi fox2000,

I did some zip files for myself to install from clockworkmod (as you install a ROM) and one of them is to install the old market (v 2.3.6).

The links are:

- Install old market v 2.3.6: http://www.mediafire...r9teo74oans97m7 (Removes MarketUpdater.apk and installs old Vending.apk to /system/app)

- Install new market: http://www.mediafire...5e88j8ydbvoy50d (Copies Swedish Snow 6 MarketUpdater.apk and Vending.apk to /system/app)

Others that might be of use to some people:

- Remove some apks (to see what apks, or change, unzip, change "META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script"): http://www.mediafire...nzc899hjtp3wiow

- Install SpareParts and TaskManager: http://www.mediafire...icizgjybaefx0tl (Installs SpareParts.apk and TaskManager.apk)

To understand what the files do or to modify for your use, unzip a file, and check the file "META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script". The file is very easy to understand and modify. Then zip everything again and install via clockwork

Guest dodyweb

HI KonstaT

I tested rls6 and i found something buggy....if i play a game(i tryed angry birds) when i exit from game the animation on the phone are jumpy and keep skeeping frames...after reboot its ok ...im returnig to rls5 for now

I suspect that has to do with adreno libs...but im not sure...i instaled the libs on rls5 and the problem apeared again....i returned to rls5 backup without adreno libs and everything its ok.

Edited by dodyweb

Guest brokebloke

HI KonstaT

I tested rls6 and i found something buggy....if i play a game(i tryed angry birds) when i exit from game the animation on the phone are jumpy and keep skeeping frames...after reboot its ok ...im returnig to rls5 for now

I suspect that has to do with adreno libs...but im not sure...i instaled the libs on rls5 and the problem apeared again....i returned to rls5 backup without adreno libs and everything its ok.

I also have the same problem, didn't seem to effect rsl5.

Guest thewild

To understand what the files do or to modify for your use, unzip a file, and check the file "META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script". The file is very easy to understand and modify. Then zip everything again and install via clockwork

I thought those zip files were signed ? Can you just change files in a zip patch and flash it without any other manipulation ?

Guest Jitesh12345

Hey KonsTat , Nice Work :) , I have used all ur roms From Rls3 to RLS6 .. no bug found yet .. i just wanna ask that what does these governors and i/o schedulers means.. what is the function of each governor or i/o scheduler... [ No Frills CPU Control ]

if u dont have enough time for giving huge explaination , You can tell me that what is the setting best for :

1. Less battery consumption

2. Highest Performance

Guest agpoli

Thanks, but how do you actually go about altering the frequencies?

Just use the 'built-in' No-Frills app to overclock. If you set your CPU to 700MHz the GPU will be at 350MHz. If you want more control you have to dig deeper into the kernel to change the values. Don't ask me how to do it I'm not a software developer.

If you overclocked your CPU before and found the highest stable frequency for it, you MUST test it again. The overclocked GPU, AHB&AXI bus may cause problems at the same frequency that was stable before. I had to lower mine from 672 to 652MHz because some running apps just disappeared. No force close, they just disappeared.

Hey KonsTat , Nice Work :) , I have used all ur roms From Rls3 to RLS6 .. no bug found yet .. i just wanna ask that what does these governors and i/o schedulers means.. what is the function of each governor or i/o scheduler... [ No Frills CPU Control ]

if u dont have enough time for giving huge explaination , You can tell me that what is the setting best for :

1. Less battery consumption

2. Highest Performance

It's not easy to answer your questions, because battery consumption is mostly influenced by user behaviours. For example: the radio/WiFi module is using a (relatively) lot of juice. Some people use 3G, other just WiFi and some use both. Even now when it's undervolted, there will be differences.

The other most power consuming part is the LCD. Lowering the brightness (or just set it to auto) will help you to save battery power.

What about the CPU? I could write a few pages from how manufacturing affects the CPU's (or other chips in general) power usage, why are there a lot of different max stable OC frequencies, why some Blades got so hot while the others with the same settings are still cold as a stone, etc, but I won't. You will be fine using the SmartassV2 governor.

Reading through this would be helpful, it's a great guide about Kernel governors, I/O schedulers and (a lot) more: Link

Edited by agpoli

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Just use the 'built-in' No-Frills app to overclock. If you set your CPU to 700MHz the GPU will be at 350MHz. If you want more control you have to dig deeper into the kernel to change the values. Don't ask me how to do it I'm not a software developer.

If you overclocked your CPU before and found the highest stable frequency for it, you MUST test it again. The overclocked GPU, AHB&AXI bus may cause problems at the same frequency that was stable before. I had to lower mine from 672 to 652MHz because some running apps just disappeared. No force close, they just disappeared.

I see, so the GPU and AXI bus automatically overclock in line with the CPU when you change it in No-Frills.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest shanky887614

HI KonstaT

download a task killer.

i use advanced task killer. i set it to kill at screen off

most cfw's dont actually close the apps/games when you leave them either because of the game or the rom

this gets around the problem and i find when i do this my battery lasts longer because my games are no longer running in the background

(the reason i use advanced task killer over others is. its a set and forget program. you set it then never have to touch it again)

Edited by shanky887614

Guest thewild

Flashable zips of the Beats tweak is already available.

I forgot where, though. It's just somewhere in xda or modaco.

I got an error (error status 0 or something like that) trying to install this patch on RLS6. Did not try harder, I just gave up.

Guest Herlock

I got an error (error status 0 or something like that) trying to install this patch on RLS6. Did not try harder, I just gave up.

Use this from the post. Works fine for me!!

Guest D00nhamer

I just installed this ROM after a few happy months on fish'n'chips and it looks good. I did get quite used to swype keyboard though. Can I install it on this ROM? I can't find it in the market.

Guest brokebloke

One thing I do miss using this rom is Rom Manager automation.

Using CM7 roms Rom Managers backup now feature automatically reboots into clockwork, does a backup then restarts the phone.

Can this feature be included in Swedish Snow ? All that happens at the moment is Rom Manager boots in to clockwork and a manual backup is needed.

Also would like to say thanks for sharing this excellent rom

Guest youngsta2010

The overclocked GPU, AHB&AXI bus may cause problems at the same frequency that was stable before. I had to lower mine from 672 to 652MHz because some running apps just disappeared. No force close, they just disappeared.

Do you think that is due to overclocking? I've had that a few times where an app, mostly Opera Mobile, will just close, no FC or anything it just vanishes. I've had no reboots, phone overheating or anything like that. Cheers.

Guest bladebuddy

Noticed this with rls5 and now rls6 that it holds on to a 3g signal a lot better then any other rom I have tried. How I know this, is at work in the staff toilet you never get a 3g signal. That is no longer the case. So a big thanks for making my toilet break much better. And also for being such a good Developer who is always so helpful. Thanks again Konsta for another good Rom.

Guest somethingsomethingdarkness

Flashable zips of the Beats tweak is already available.

I forgot where, though. It's just somewhere in xda or modaco.

My idea was replacing DSP with Volume+/Beats&XLoud or adding XLoud separately? Any one of these should do a better job than DSP in my opinion and if one is stable enough I think it should be added to the rom for the next release :)

Guest Ape09090

Hi Folks,

I can't get Android File Verifier from market,only the legacy version.

Do I need to wipe if I want to install the TPT version?

Thank you.