[ROM][GEN2] Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5)

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Hey KonstaT,

1) Apologize for pestering you time and again. However I've noted a bug in the "network mode toggle (2G-3G-2G/3G)" of the scrollable notification power widget that has been added into SS-RLS7. I don't know if others are experiencing the same issue and would appreciate if you could test and confirm.

Well I presume that it is SUPPOSED to function as follows:

a) Selecting "2G" (notification power widget)>>>>activates>>>>"GSM only"(Settings\....\Mobile networks\Network mode) and vice-versa.

b ) Selecting "3G" (notification power widget)>>>>activates>>>>"WCDMA only"(Settings\....\Mobile networks\Network mode) and vice-versa.

c) Selecting "2G/3G" (notification power widget)>>>>activates>>>>"GSM\WCDMA auto"(Settings\....\Mobile networks\Network mode) and vice-versa.

However c) does not work. If "2G/3G" is selected on the "power widget", "Settings...\Network mode" will INITIALLY show "GSM\WCDMA auto". Check "Settings" after a while AGAIN and it will show "WCDMA pref" and the pop-up dialog will show that none of the options are selected. The phone is effectively functioning in "WCDMA only" mode.

Similarly if "GSM\WCDMA auto" is selected in "Settings...\Network mode", the "power widget" will show "3G". The phone is again effectively functioning in "WCDMA only / 3G" mode.

SUMMARY........"Auto" mode is not working!!!!

NOTE: I am not using the "SS-RLS7-Toggle2G.zip" add-on.

2) In relation to your above REPLY.....I came across the following on a couple of websites. One of them quoted "Now some precautions tips you should take in mind. After installing Darktremor Apps2SD don’t move your apps to sdcard either from Manage Applications Settings or by using app2sd pro or similar applications because it will ruin all your settings and your script will not work. Also you may notice that your used space in internal storage shown in Manage Applications Setting is not decreasing even after you install Apps2SD and you may think that the script is not working. But remember if you followed all the instructions from above and got the same results as explained above then the script is working. It is shown so because system is fooled to believe that the apps are in internal storage but in reality they are stored in the secondary partition we created (i.e. in /sd-ext/app folder) on your device".

The website is http://yagyagaire.bl...nd-install.html

Regards,

sidbali

1. No, it works just as it should. There are few different network modes in android. The notification power widget button just uses different mode setting for 2G/3G (WCDMA pref) as the ZTE settings (GSM/WDCDMA auto). Both do pretty much the same thing, but there is some some difference in treshold and 'WCDMA pref' prefers 3G over 2G.

You can test this by quickly double tapping the notification toggle, so that it goes straight from 2G to 2G/3G. You stay connected to GSM for some time (~minute) before it automatically switches to 3G. I'm sure if I went outside 3G zone, it would automatically switch to 2G (can't test this, there's 3G coverage everywhere I'm usually at).

2. Yes, you shouldn't move apps to sdcard from android's own application settings if you use darktremor a2sd (this will move them into FAT partition of sdcard). When you install new apps, also space in actual /data partition decreases. Like said, user data for each application and dalvik cache are still stored in /data.

Guest adonwenas

1. No, it works just as it should. There are few different network modes in android. The notification power widget button just uses different mode setting for 2G/3G (WCDMA pref) as the ZTE settings (GSM/WDCDMA auto). Both do pretty much the same thing, but there is some some difference in treshold and 'WCDMA pref' prefers 3G over 2G.

You can test this by quickly double tapping the notification toggle, so that it goes straight from 2G to 2G/3G. You stay connected to GSM for some time (~minute) before it automatically switches to 3G. I'm sure if I went outside 3G zone, it would automatically switch to 2G (can't test this, there's 3G coverage everywhere I'm usually at).

2. Yes, you shouldn't move apps to sdcard from android's own application settings if you use darktremor a2sd (this will move them into FAT partition of sdcard). When you install new apps, also space in actual /data partition decreases. Like said, user data for each application and dalvik cache are still stored in /data.

1. +1

2. Yup the point is script from konstat will automatically move apk not dalvik (it increase performance) cuz when application run it uses dalvik so it will be better if they still in internal.

Maybe the problem is when u try to move the applications to sdcard using native android system ull got fc like mine... (dont know with others) but I think we don't have to do that cuz the space are still large for me so why u move the applications.

N just fyi move to sdcard (apps2sd) from system it just move applications to ur fat partition (sdcard) not dalvik.

N move to sdcard (a2sd) from darktremor it can move ur applications even dalvik to ur sd-ext partition (sdcard) but the system recognized that sd-ext its ur internal. It very helpful for phones that having small internal like our blade.

:rolleyes:

sent from V880 using Tapatalk

Edited by adonwenas

Guest sidbali

Confirmed, even the icon back to 3g mode after a while

Thanks for the input DarkCrono !

1. Its working fine on mine...

Its not turn to 2g/3g (gsm/wcdma) auto but to 2g/3g (gsm/wcdma) preferred ... this option doesn't included in rls7 thats why no option ticked on setting>mobile but the switching working fine...

When I'm not on 3g coverage it turn to "E" n when Im on 3g coverage it turn to "H" so what's the problems... ?

2. Yup the point is script will automatically move apk not dalvik (it increase performance) cuz when application run it uses dalvik so it will be better if they still in internal.

Maybe the problem is when u try to move the applications to sdcard using native android system ull got fc like mine... (dont know with others) but I think we don't have to do that cuz the space are still large for me so why u move the applications.

sent from V880 using Tapatalk

Cheers adonwenas !

Grateful as always KonstaT, good man !!

1. The quick toggle from 2G to 2G/3G worked as you said. Earlier today I was in an area where 3G coverage is quite weak. I noticed my Dell Streak (GSM/WCDMA auto) had automatically switched to 2G, whereas my Dell Blade (I like to call it that....:rolleyes: ) was hanging on to 3G even with 0 bars. While making a call on the Blade with 0 bars, I noticed there was the occassional voice loss...but it did not drop the call or switch to 2G. Thats when I started to notice the "Network Settings". Well I guess I now can relate to your statement regarding 'Threshold' and preffering 3G over 2G.

2. One LAST question (for tonight :D ), what happens when internal storage is maxed out 326mb/326mb and there is still over 600mb space in the sd-ext partition?

Cheers Mate,

sidbali

Edited by sidbali

Guest KonstaT

1. The quick toggle from 2G to 2G/3G worked as you said. Earlier today I was in an area where 3G coverage is quite weak. I noticed my Dell Streak (GSM/WCDMA auto) had automatically switched to 2G, whereas my Dell Blade (I like to call it that....:rolleyes: ) was hanging on to 3G even with 0 bars. While making a call on the Blade with 0 bars, I noticed there was the occassional voice loss...but it did not drop the call or switch to 2G. Thats when I started to notice the "Network Settings". Well I guess I now can relate to your statement regarding 'Threshold' and preffering 3G over 2G.

2. One LAST question (for tonight :D ), what happens when internal storage is maxed out 326mb/326mb and there is still over 600mb space in the sd-ext partition?

1. Here is some more info/speculation on android network modes.

2. That will never happen. ;) Android system will start warning about low space when you have ~20mb left. I've noticed that while using darktremor with default settings, /data and sd-ext have pretty much the same amount of space used. I guess it wouldn't be necessary to have EXT partition larger than 512mb if you're not also moving dalvik cache to sd-ext (not recommended).

Guest sidbali

1. Here is some more info/speculation on android network modes.

2. That will never happen. ;) Android system will start warning about low space when you have ~20mb left. I've noticed that while using darktremor with default settings, /data and sd-ext have pretty much the same amount of space used. I guess it wouldn't be necessary to have EXT partition larger than 512mb if you're not also moving dalvik cache to sd-ext (not recommended).

Cheers Mate,

All info well understood.

Hyvää yötä,

sidbali

Guest psycho84

This rom seems nice. So far haven't noticed any problems with it, it is very smooth and everything works just fine. I hope battery life will also be good so I can use this rom for a longer period of time.

edit 1: After 12 hours of use, 15 minutes of calls, 10 minutes of 3g and 10 minutes of wifi still 92% of battery...I haven't used my phone much today but so far it seems battery will last for nice amount of time. :)

Great job!! Thanks!

Edited by psycho84

KonstaT I want to thank you for this awesome ROM, it works very well and fast. I have only 1 questions to ask:

I'm wondering about the 42MB Cache Partition created after using the TPT all-in-one installation, for what is the large size?

-updates gen1->gen2

-repartitions internal storage (128mb /system, 326mb /data, 2mb /cache, 0,1mb /oem)

Edited by d79

Guest supergoldohulk

First, let me thank you for an awesome ROM; I had the Greek Wind official 2.2 version installed, yours seems to be on steroids. Scrolling is much more smoother and applications open without any wait.

I do have a couple of questions though and a possible: the Greek phones came with RAM locked to 256. So I had a hack installed to unlock/utilize the entire 512Mb of RAM.

Is this hack lost now that I have flashed RLS7? How can I tell if the phone sees 512 or 256Mb RAM?

And an issue: after flashing to RLS7, I reconnected the phone via USB to transfer some files to the SD. For some unknown reason, USB "died". This happened 3-4 times in 30' or so... Just before flashing, everything worked rock-steady with USB. Don't know if this has been reported, reading page 52 atm :) If this has not been reported, how do I go about troubleshooting this? (Not a newbie here flashing mobiles, from HTC Magic, SE Minis etc).

EDIT: Incorrectly referenced RLS6 instead of the correct RLS7 above...

Edited by supergoldohulk

Guest purplehead

First, let me thank you for an awesome ROM; I had the Greek Wind official 2.2 version installed, yours seems to be on steroids. Scrolling is much more smoother and applications open without any wait.

I do have a couple of questions though and a possible: the Greek phones came with RAM locked to 256. So I had a hack installed to unlock/utilize the entire 512Mb of RAM.

Is this hack lost now that I have flashed RLS6? How can I tell if the phone sees 512 or 256Mb RAM?

And an issue: after flashing to RLS6, I reconnected the phone via USB to transfer some files to the SD. For some unknown reason, USB "died". This happened 3-4 times in 30' or so... Just before flashing, everything worked rock-steady with USB. Don't know if this has been reported, reading page 52 atm :) If this has not been reported, how do I go about troubleshooting this? (Not a newbie here flashing mobiles, from HTC Magic, SE Minis etc).

Cheers, mate.

Let me answer that as a fellow Greek wink.gif

The hack for the 512 MB RAM doesn't get lost when you flash another ROM. To check it, go to Settings - Applications and then to the rightmost tab (Running apps). On the bottom of the screen you should see the amount of used and free RAM. The total should be way more than 256 MB, so you're in the clear...

As for the second question, one thing I can think of is that you have disabled USB charging from ROM setting. So when the screen switches off, you get disconnected. That is only my guess though. Or, worse case senario, you might have a defective USB cable.

Take care !

Guest minifig

Hi,

I've had some trouble using bluetooth in RSL7. Yesterday I did a wipe/clean/factory reset/... and bluetooth connections are ok now.

Except for 1 thing that I didn't have in RLS6: when the connection closes, my bluetooth goes off as well. I've been looking for a setting to fix this, but can't seem to find one.

Is this normal behavior?

P.S.: this is by far the best ROM I've tried.

Guest supergoldohulk

Cheers, mate.

Kalimera file moy :)

The hack for the 512 MB RAM doesn't get lost when you flash another ROM. To check it, go to Settings - Applications and then to the rightmost tab (Running apps). On the bottom of the screen you should see the amount of used and free RAM. The total should be way more than 256 MB, so you're in the clear...
I *think* that the running apps showed a number near 256. Phone is my wife's so I'll have to check later today. Would running a cat /proc/meminfo from the terminal provide an accurate number here?

As for the second question, one thing I can think of is that you have disabled USB charging from ROM setting. So when the screen switches off, you get disconnected. That is only my guess though.
Interesting (with a twist): But your reference to USB charging is interesting (with a twist): yesterday and immediately after flashing, while examining the various settings I stumbled upon the "USB Charging" option. I remember this clearly, because at the time I selected "enable" just in case and Superuser asked me if I wanted to grant this application permission to go root. So I'm absolutely certain that USB charging was on. I'll try to reproduce this.

Or, worse case senario, you might have a defective USB cable.
The cable is ok, double checked that. The trouble started immediately after installing SS.

Oh, and another *possible* issue. I made yesterday an experiment to try and use the ZTE dialer. Short story: I could not create new contacts. Steps I took:

1) I made a full wipe, installed it the ZTE dialer

2) during installation I disabled 3G access and instead opted to sync via Wifi

3) contacts from Gmail were d/l'ed to the phone just fine

4) I made a new contact, complete with phone number, to be stored on the gmail account. After pressing save I tried to find the contact in the dialer. It was not there. Nor was the sync indication in the status bar present.

After this I booted to CWM, made a full wipe again and re-installed RLS7, to get rid of the ZTE dialer. This time, I had no problems at all (apart from the USB issue described above).

EDIT: By "full wipe" I meant that in CWM I select two options which are present in the main menu (don't recall the exact names): data reset and cache reset. I hope that these two were the only ones needed.

Edited by supergoldohulk

Guest minifig

EDIT: By "full wipe" I meant that in CWM I select two options which are present in the main menu (don't recall the exact names): data reset and cache reset. I hope that these two were the only ones needed.

Usually you have to clear the dalvik cache as well. You can do this under the advanced menu in CWM.

Guest slumslayer

Usually you have to clear the dalvik cache as well. You can do this under the advanced menu in CWM.

AFAIK, if you clear /data, the dalvik cache and the cache are also wiped.

Guest supergoldohulk

I see. As I have made a number of settings, installed some apps etc, would you recommend doing again a full wipe (dalvik cache wipe included this time) and then a re-installation of RLS7? Or can I safely just delete the dalvik cache and reboot without re-installing (if that is an option)?

AFAIK, if you clear /data, the dalvik cache and the cache are also wiped.

I just saw this. Like I said, I only used the two options in the central menu of CWM. Don't recall their names unfortunately. Does either of them clear /data (and therefore dalvik as well)?

Edited by supergoldohulk

Guest slumslayer

I just saw this. Like I said, I only used the two options in the central menu of CWM. Don't recall their names unfortunately. Does either of them clear /data (and therefore dalvik as well)?

There is "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache" in the main menu. First one wipes dalvik too.

Guest supergoldohulk

There is "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache" in the main menu. First one wipes dalvik too.

Ok, so I did make a *full* clear/reset after all :) Thanks for the info!

Guest jiminorris

KonstaT, I just installed the TPT for RLS7 but the ROM settings still says RLS6. Did I do the wrong file or is this an oversight on your part?

Guest chapmans35

KonstaT, I just installed the TPT for RLS7 but the ROM settings still says RLS6. Did I do the wrong file or is this an oversight on your part?

I upgraded from Rls 6 to Rls 7 and ROM settings show RLS7.

Guest jiminorris

I upgraded from Rls 6 to Rls 7 and ROM settings show RLS7.

I just redid the TPT after redownloading the file... it still says it, but is there any chance that it is the circlebattery mod changing it?

Guest bladebuddy

Sorry to bring this up again but I am struggling to get it to work. I am trying to get bootsounds operational. This is what I have done so far to no avail.

Have tried bootsound with a capital B converted to a ogg file and everything else I can think of.

Could it be possible my boot animation is the problem.

Any help appreciated.

post-955381-133468994609_thumb.jpg

Guest kubiczek

Anyone having problems with the battery drain by maps? I didn't even use them and after 5 hours of using the phone I have only 20 percent of my battery left and when I check the battery usage, 25 percent have been used by maps. And as I said before, I didn't even use them. Any idea what is wrong?

Guest Ro-man

4) I made a new contact, complete with phone number, to be stored on the gmail account. After pressing save I tried to find the contact in the dialer. It was not there. Nor was the sync indication in the status bar present.

Hi,

I think you should check the Groups to Sync in contacts' Display Options. Tick All Other Contacts or check the Group then you save contact. It's must be stored on the Gmail but this group not synced.

Guest archish

How is the battery life for others? I usually struggle to get more than 10 hours with few mins calls, an hour browsing, 1 hour music and installing new apps

Guest eszleny

Dear KonstaT

Could you add the music buttons (prewious,play/pause,next) to the notification widget in the next update ? Its already have good battery lifen and performance but i miss these buttons very much:) so what i can say: Thank you!

(:sorry for my bad english:)

Guest jiminorris

Anyone having problems with the battery drain by maps? I didn't even use them and after 5 hours of using the phone I have only 20 percent of my battery left and when I check the battery usage, 25 percent have been used by maps. And as I said before, I didn't even use them. Any idea what is wrong?

I have this, had it previous releases, too, though.