Bricked recovery, can't get usb connection

Guest Lemppari

Guest Lemppari

Hi,

I managed to "brick my recovery". I felt lazy and flashed CWM from Rom Manager and booted to recovery from there. The thing is that the screen of the Vega (Viewsonic s10) just flashes on for an instant and then total darkness.

I have tried all the tricks and combinations I have found from this forum, but it's been like that for a week. Nothing seems to fix it. Worst of all, it doesn't even show up in windows when I plug the it with the usb cable. It just doesn't respond to anything. I had the USB on host mode with shuttle tools, so I don't know if that influences it?

If anyone had some ideas how to get it running again, I would appreciate it very much. Is there any kind of hard reset button on it? (I'm willing to open it up, if that helps)

Thank you for any responses,

Yours sincerely

Me

Guest Oldbarzo

Hi,

I managed to "brick my recovery". I felt lazy and flashed CWM from Rom Manager and booted to recovery from there. The thing is that the screen of the Vega (Viewsonic s10) just flashes on for an instant and then total darkness.

I have tried all the tricks and combinations I have found from this forum, but it's been like that for a week. Nothing seems to fix it. Worst of all, it doesn't even show up in windows when I plug the it with the usb cable. It just doesn't respond to anything. I had the USB on host mode with shuttle tools, so I don't know if that influences it?

If anyone had some ideas how to get it running again, I would appreciate it very much. Is there any kind of hard reset button on it? (I'm willing to open it up, if that helps)

Thank you for any responses,

Yours sincerely

Me

Hi

Google for and download Vega Tools version 4.1. Then put you s10 in NV mode (hold back button 2 secs, hold power button 2 secs while still holding back button, release power button but continue to hold back button for a further 2 secs)

Then run Vega Tools and select install Modded stock v2 and follow the prompts.

If your PC does not see the s10 use Vega Tools to install the drivers and then continue as above.

The modded stock will install and the Tab will re-boot to a green Android figure and then go blank screen. Just press the power button again and it will reboot into modded stock.

Hope this helps, Vegas and clones are not brickable there is always some way to recover.

Stransky

Guest Lemppari

Hi

Google for and download Vega Tools version 4.1. Then put you s10 in NV mode (hold back button 2 secs, hold power button 2 secs while still holding back button, release power button but continue to hold back button for a further 2 secs)

Then run Vega Tools and select install Modded stock v2 and follow the prompts.

If your PC does not see the s10 use Vega Tools to install the drivers and then continue as above.

The modded stock will install and the Tab will re-boot to a green Android figure and then go blank screen. Just press the power button again and it will reboot into modded stock.

Hope this helps, Vegas and clones are not brickable there is always some way to recover.

Stransky

Hi and thanx for the answer. Yes, that would have been the easy way out and I have tried. The problem is that I already had drivers installed (ran VegaComp). When the tab didn't register in windows I uninstalled old drivers and tried to install new drivers with the Vega Tools. The problem is that windows doesn't see the device. Or any device that it could be. If I only could get an USB connection in the NV-mode, I could easily flash a new recovery and a rom.

I actually might have a first real bricked Vega.

*sad face*

Guest dibbles

You can't brick a Vega - trust me.

My Granddaughter was here today and whilst I was flashing the modified stock ROM she pulled the plug out as it was partially through sending the bootloader to the tablet.

Was it stuffed - nope.

Just a matter of getting it into the right mode and starting again.

They are built so well, in terms of flashing, it seems that they can be recovered from most situations.

You have got either or and the following issues...

Need to use a different USB port - mine will not flash correctly from the front USB ports on my PC but only from the back ones on the I/O plate.

Faulty cable

Firewall not allowing connection to device.

Wrong drivers and or methodology used to install correct ones.

I have always found getting the correct drivers installed for either a ADB or a recovery mode type of flash is the most difficult part of the process, sometimes getting it into the recovery mode is a problem.

Good luck :)

Guest Lemppari

Need to use a different USB port - mine will not flash correctly from the front USB ports on my PC but only from the back ones on the I/O plate.

You sir are a lifesaver. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't recognise the Vega trough the front USB ports. Especially because it did so before. So I plugged it into one of the free backports. Nothing. I unplugged my external HD and plugged the Vega to its port and Eureka! It worked!

Thanks a million!

*happyface*

...the legend of the "true bricked vega" still eludes us.

Guest dibbles

You are welcome.

Today I tried to use the front USB port and, for me, it would get as far as this into the flash...

1327095179.png

...and then it would sit there all day long with the NVFlash notification on the Vega and do absolutely nothing more.

Changing to the back USB ports and it will work fine.

Just an hobnomoly :D

Edited by dibbles

Guest Lemppari

Just on a sidenote, I lost the device again. Even tough teh audi showed me green I tough it would be a "good" idea to reinstall new drivers. After I did that I couldn't get it to recognise it from any port. At all. Thank god I had an extra Vega laying in my drawer, so I pulled it from there and plugged it with the same usb cable. It was instantly recognized and the drivers installed smoothly. After that my troublesome vega was recognized finally. Now I have it running stock rom and just about to test ICS alpha 2.

On a sidenote (another), I couldn't install clockwork from the Vegatools. It said that the device was not found. So there is still some funky s*** going on, but at least there is hope.

Still can't boot to recovery or install any other stuff vith Vegatools. Says device not found. Roms flash just fine tough...

But thanx again and let the light shine on all Vega (or cousins) owners!

(I seem to have a lot of sidenotes...)

Edited by Lemppari

Guest dibbles

Remember that when you want to do things like flash CWM or add a boot animation you are needing a different set of drivers loaded than you need when you are flashing using the NV Flashing method, like a ROM via the PC.

So when you are using the Vega tools to do that you need AUDI to give you the green light when the appropriate mode is selected...

1327156637.png

the device manager at that stage must show an Android Composite ADB Interface installed.

When my Vega is in the recovery mode I see...

1327143690.png

but I do not get the ADB Composite Interface within the Device Manager as that bridge is not needed when using the NVflash method BUT the Vega Tools flashing CWM etc will not work in that mode.

BTW you have your sidenotes and my life is full of addendums.!

Edited by dibbles

Guest Lemppari

Gosh I'm such a dork. I did remove ALL my old drivers, including the ADB driver.. ...no wonder I got no connection rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!

P.S.

I really should check my head to make sure it's still there.