[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2 | Kernel 2.6.32 | Camera works

Guest pier11

Settings -> CyanogenMod Settings -> Performance settings -> Lock messaging app in memory

This has the side effect that messaging app will permanently use up ram, whereas Ghostly SMS would allow the messaging app to be killed and sms still be received. From my understanding, the critical part is only when the massaging app is killed exactly during sms receive. Having the app persistent in memory all the time is not required since android os will launch it upon incoming sms. At least that's what I believe.

I don't know which option is better. I would recommand having Ghostly SMS installed for a while. Then one can judge if it catches any SMS that would have got lost otherwise. Try with or without "Lock messaging app in memory" to see if it makes any difference.

Edited by dr.flo

This has the side effect that messaging app will permanently use up ram, whereas Ghostly SMS would allow the messaging app to be killed and sms still be received. From my understanding, the critical part is only when the massaging app is killed exactly during sms receive. Having the app persistent in memory all the time is not required since android os will launch it upon incoming sms. At least that's what I believe.

I don't know which option is better. I would recommand having Ghostly SMS installed for a while. Then one can judge if it catches any SMS that would have got lost otherwise. Try with or without "Lock messaging app in memory" to see if it makes any difference.

I have installed Ghostly SMS, but is it really work?

I can't see any processes or services that indicate that it is running.

I have installed Ghostly SMS, but is it really work?

I can't see any processes or services that indicate that it is running.

It does not mean to be running all the time. Try receiving an SMS and see if it gets it. The idea of Ghostly SMS is that it receives incoming sms notification from android os, then fetches the sms in parallel with stock messaging app. Stock messaging app is said to sometimes fail doing this in low memory conditions, while Ghostly SMS claims to work well even when ram is low.

The problem is said to be the following: android os notifies the sms app when a new message arrives. the sms app then launches, takes over the message from os, and then processes and stores it. Now if it gets killed during that small time slot AFTER taking over the sms from os, but BEFORE having stored it, the sms would be lost. Ghostly SMS claims to avoid that by storing sms in its internal db right after taking it over from the os.

But I have to add that I currently don't run cm7 so I can't tell for sure if that will help. Just try.

It does not mean to be running all the time. Try receiving an SMS and see if it gets it. The idea of Ghostly SMS is that it receives incoming sms notification from android os, then fetches the sms in parallel with stock messaging app. Stock messaging app is said to sometimes fail doing this in low memory conditions, while Ghostly SMS claims to work well even when ram is low.

The problem is said to be the following: android os notifies the sms app when a new message arrives. the sms app then launches, takes over the message from os, and then processes and stores it. Now if it gets killed during that small time slot AFTER taking over the sms from os, but BEFORE having stored it, the sms would be lost. Ghostly SMS claims to avoid that by storing sms in its internal db right after taking it over from the os.

But I have to add that I currently don't run cm7 so I can't tell for sure if that will help. Just try.

So it is like an SMS app, but smaller/faster?

So it is like an SMS app, but smaller/faster?

That's the idea. But it is only a "receive sms" app, it is not meant to do anything else (like writing sms...). Thats why it should be used in parallel.

It can move sms to your normal sms inbox in case the sms got missed there. Then you can reply to an sms as usual. That's the idea.

You will get double notifications per sms (in case stock app does not miss sms). You can either live with that or make a donation to the dev (would enable to turn off double notification and only notify about missed sms).

Edited by dr.flo

That's the idea. But it is only a "receive sms" app, it is not meant to do anything else (like writing sms...). Thats why it should be used in parallel.

It can move sms to your normal sms inbox in case the sms got missed there. Then you can reply to an sms as usual. That's the idea.

You will get double notifications per sms (in case stock app does not miss sms). You can either live with that or make a donation to the dev (would enable to turn off double notification and only notify about missed sms).

Is it possible to configure the device NOT to use the stock messaging app until manually initiated then? Rather than having messaging running all the time (which I currently have), or even most of the time, one could kill it entirely and let Ghost SMS receive messages until I was ready to read them?

Guest PhoenixPunk

I've tried Ghostly SMS, it works as expected. Since the messagging app was killed, i received the sms only on ghostly and recovered it. This solution sounds better to me than the message app memory locking, since i don't want to have the messaging app all the time in memory which is already too small.

Is it possible to configure the device NOT to use the stock messaging app until manually initiated then? Rather than having messaging running all the time (which I currently have), or even most of the time, one could kill it entirely and let Ghost SMS receive messages until I was ready to read them?

I don't know of such a mechanism - but it should not be needed, since android moves messaging out of ram itself as soon as ram is needed for new processes.

I just want to ask if installing first TRE 2.1 or CHT8000 2.1 official roms makes any difference in rom performance, since I installed this rom with 80MB system partition and it worked ok but not as smooth as 2.2, and if so could anyone post links for downloading TRE 2.1 or CHT8000 2.1 official roms because I can't find them anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Guest desalesouche

I just want to ask if installing first TRE 2.1 or CHT8000 2.1 official roms makes any difference in rom performance, since I installed this rom with 80MB system partition and it worked ok but not as smooth as 2.2, and if so could anyone post links for downloading TRE 2.1 or CHT8000 2.1 official roms because I can't find them anywhere. Thanks in advance.

http://android.modac...74#entry1891774:)

Those roms will make no difference on performance. They are only necessary to get the /system partition large enough to install this rom mod with gapps. I personally suggest Tre. CHT8000 is useful to know if that is the phone you are already using, but it offers no advantage if your real goal is to install a modified rom over it.

the green screen bug only appears on my phone when the sim card is in! Otherwise everything works fully.

Can somebody advise any solution? Or can i help somehow to improve this Rom?

I've tried Ghostly SMS, it works as expected. Since the messagging app was killed, i received the sms only on ghostly and recovered it. This solution sounds better to me than the message app memory locking, since i don't want to have the messaging app all the time in memory which is already too small.

I also am using it now. I definitely recommend the donation so you don't get duplicates and it is much more automated. (Nice to not have to see ads as well.)

the green screen bug only appears on my phone when the sim card is in! Otherwise everything works fully.

Can somebody advise any solution? Or can i help somehow to improve this Rom?

also try to disable all animations in Settings -> Display.

This rom and our others need developer involvement. To solve remaining issues and help moving forward... If you can, jump on board.

http://android.modac...ost__p__1895923

also try to disable all animations in Settings -> Display.

This rom and our others need developer involvement. To solve remaining issues and help moving forward... If you can, jump on board.

i have tried to switch off the rotation animation from terminal didn't work for me.... All animations off, but the same end.

Is there any new things for the rom since 12 01 31??

Edited by levos

i have tried to switch off the rotation animation from terminal didn't work for me.... All animations off, but the same end.

Is there any new things for the rom since 12 01 31??

Turn off animations in spare parts too.

Guest stifflersmom

hi guys, I have a problem. Maybe you can help me out. I have installed this Cyanogenmod 7.2 with the following method

1. rooted with z4root apk

2. installed rom manager 4.xxx

3. downloaded cyanogenmod7

4 used rom manager to install from sd

now I would like to go back to an OEM 2.1 rom, and found one, but I can not install anything now, with this method.

when I go to "Android System Recovery" using this menu+callend+power bottun and try to install an orginal rom there I receive an error message:

"" Installation aborted.

E: can't mount cache

E: cant open cache

E: cant found misc

Would appreciate your help, thanks in advance (I have a simlock just for info, maybe this is an issue)

now I would like to go back to an OEM 2.1 rom, and found one, but I can not install anything now, with this method.

when I go to "Android System Recovery" using this menu+callend+power bottun and try to install an orginal rom there I receive an error message:

"" Installation aborted.

E: can't mount cache

E: cant open cache

E: cant found misc

@ Pier11

it didnt work. I receive a message: Update failed

But thanks a lot for your help

Same update problem here, originally (I'm not sure but I think) from the Hungarian rom. I also applied HU locale, green screen error was present (I haven't tried with EnN), it only stopped when I disabled rotation (which is not really an option for me), not even the setprop helped, nor disabling any animations. Anyways, the rom was unusably slow for me, not like the 6.1, which runs great on my Pulse.

(Another strange stuff if I want to restore any nand backup, I've just always got a bootloop...)

Same update problem here, originally (I'm not sure but I think) from the Hungarian rom. I also applied HU locale, green screen error was present (I haven't tried with EnN), it only stopped when I disabled rotation (which is not really an option for me), not even the setprop helped, nor disabling any animations. Anyways, the rom was unusably slow for me, not like the 6.1, which runs great on my Pulse.

(Another strange stuff if I want to restore any nand backup, I've just always got a bootloop...)

Hi, NPeete!

I use my pulse in english language and I never get green screen after disabled animations, so the bug is only in hun locale? huh.gif

Guest stifflersmom

please read this also gives info about your phone original network provider. And what model is?

could that be an issue that my phone is U8230 and not U8220?

If so, what should I do for U8230?

Thanks