[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2 | Kernel 2.6.32 | Camera works

Guest pier11

Guest baotica

Dude this is much faster than cynogen 6.1.Hats down to you.

A2SD seems broken though.Tried a2sd reinstall, didn't do squat.Then I installed a2sdgui and did cache to SD klick.That did it, 72 MB of data partition free.But it seems that progs still install on data partition (SD-EXT partition is 760 MB but 76 MB data is on it, but that must be dalvik cache).

Anyhow, please repair that a2sd, or at least give a detailed instructions how to install apps to SD because no a2sd is no show for most of us.

PS

A2SDGUI reports that apps are on sd, and that swap is on (even if I know that swap is off, no matter that i have swap partition on SD).

Well, it appears that I'm an idiot.A2SD does work.Only thing that needed to be done is moving dalvik to SD.Apps are installed on SD, even if space on data partition is slightly decreasing per app installed (as is normal because some small part of app is put on data partition).

And considering swap, if I check the memory on terminal with the free command, it tells me that swap is activated. So maybe the kernel supports swap?

It does.

Edited by pier11

Guest oOBENJYOo

Well, it appears that I'm an idiot.A2SD does work.Only thing that needed to be done is moving dalvik to SD.Apps are installed on SD, even if space on data partition is slightly decreasing per app installed (as is normal because some small part of app is put on data partition).

Just about to install this fantastic rom so can you tell me what and how to change dalvic to sd, do I need to set up partition first please...

thank you

Dude this is much faster than cynogen 6.1.Hats down to you.

A2SD seems broken though.Tried a2sd reinstall, didn't do squat.Then I installed a2sdgui and did cache to SD klick.That did it, 72 MB of data partition free.But it seems that progs still install on data partition (SD-EXT partition is 760 MB but 76 MB data is on it, but that must be dalvik cache).

Anyhow, please repair that a2sd, or at least give a detailed instructions how to install apps to SD because no a2sd is no show for most of us.

PS

A2SDGUI reports that apps are on sd, and that swap is on (even if I know that swap is off, no matter that i have swap partition on SD).

Re: "a2sd reinstall", that never seems to work right when I have tried it either. But apps2sd was working just fine prior to the latest OC kernel update. I had to issue "a2sd cachesd" to get that working correctly (even though it suggested "reinstall"), but apps were running from SD correctly without any additional work on my part from the first boot after installation.

(I have not tested this newest version though.)

Edit: LOL. I hadn't gotten down to your "recant".

Edited by twrock

Re: "a2sd reinstall", that never seems to work right when I have tried it either. But apps2sd was working just fine prior to the latest OC kernel update. I had to issue "a2sd cachesd" to get that working correctly (even though it suggested "reinstall"), but apps were running from SD correctly without any additional work on my part from the first boot after installation.

(I have not tested this newest version though.)

only kernel got updated. No other changes in rom.

one can install just separate kernel from the first page to achieve the latest rom state.

Edited by pier11

Guest sun lbx

Well, after thorough testing:

1) CPU & 3D perfomance is great, just great. The fastest rom in that respect currently available.

2) Something is wrong with DSP though (should you turn the EQ on, you'll figure out what I mean)

3) 2D perfomance is very very poor. Don't even know why. That can be noticed in games like MX Moto (ran like 50fps on cm6) or when we see the background-blur UI effect)

4) Battery drain (or that's just my batt is getting old huh)

A kind of "rewiew" after some u8230 experience :)

Thank you so much for this rom.

How better CWR will be if compiled with newer kernel?

Because newer is "always" better. ;)

And, while you are at it, you should consider downgrading to Ubuntu 10.10. :lol::lol::lol:

(The "old" CWR 2.5.0.7 seems to work better than the newer versions anyway.)

3) 2D perfomance is very very poor. Don't even know why. That can be noticed in games like MX Moto (ran like 50fps on cm6) or when we see the background-blur UI effect)

I think this is what causes my personal impression that CM6 or eclair are "faster" regarding the user interface, e.g. list scrolling in Settings menu. Is there something like hardware support for 2D graphics? Maybe in addition to 3D, which is fixed by replacing libEGL, for 2D there maybe s.th. broken...?

This might be the key to the user experience... always when running CM7 I've got the impression that something is just not right...

Edited by dr.flo

Well, after thorough testing:

1) CPU & 3D perfomance is great, just great. The fastest rom in that respect currently available.

2) Something is wrong with DSP though (should you turn the EQ on, you'll figure out what I mean)

4) Battery drain (or that's just my batt is getting old huh)

A kind of "rewiew" after some u8230 experience :)

Thank you so much for this rom.

with re to 2D performance - may be we should update some other graphics libs? Don't know which:-)

with re to 2D performance - may be we should update some other graphics libs? Don't know which:-)

some random quick google search brought up this:

"for 2d rendering android uses sgl which is nothing but skia or scalable graphics libray"

I believe to remember that there is s.th. like libskia. We should look at that...

edit: libskiagl.so in system/lib

Edited by dr.flo

@twrock an others who know,

people mentioned data2ext solution as an alternative to dt a2sd.

anyways we are trying to move everything to sd - apps, dalvic cache.

do you know - if it is a good idea (data2ext)?

Edited by pier11

@twrock an others who know,

people mentioned data2sd solution as an alternative to dt a2sd.

anyways we are trying to move everything to sd - apps, dalvic cache.

do you know - if it is a good idea (data2sd)?

I know that link2sd can move data and dalvik cache to sd on an individual (per app) base. But I already stated my opinion that the rom should not include such stuff by default. Most complaints about s.th. not working in the ROM was about a2sd stuff. Many people simply do not know how to handle it. For those, simply installing link2sd from the market would possibly be an easier solution.

some random quick google search brought up this:

"for 2d rendering android uses sgl which is nothing but skia or scalable graphics libray"

I believe to remember that there is s.th. like libskia. We should look at that...

edit: libskiagl.so in system/lib

may be to try same from official froyo releases for msm7200a? Like htc sapphire (magic) and LG gw620.

or from gingerbread for msm7227 (in has gpu contrary to msm7225). Like ideos x3 - u8510, u8650

I know that link2sd can move data and dalvik cache to sd on an individual (per app) base. But I already stated my opinion that the rom should not include such stuff by default. Most complaints about s.th. not working in the ROM was about a2sd stuff. Many people simply do not know how to handle it. For those, simply installing link2sd from the market would possibly be an easier solution.

they will complain that no space for angry birds otherwise if no solution at all will be provided out of box. (there is always room to complain:-))

they will complain that no space for angry birds otherwise if no solution at all will be provided out of box. (there is always room to complain:-))

That's true ;)

But still - the out of the box solution could be in a seperate zip file, like the gapps are.

All three zips could be flashed via CWM in one go...

But those that do not need it (because they feel native apps2sd is enough for them) or those that would like to use whatever alternative they prefer, would have a clean rom to start with. The advantage of native apps2sd is that it doesn't require any special partitioning of the sdcard. I bet many people get this wrong... For those the basic rom would still be functional.

And extra instuctions on how to partition the sd card for use with a2sd solution xyz could be posted to warn people they should setup this before flashing the corresponding update.zip

-----

About libskia I think, yes, we should look at other roms

edit: there is a market app: "fps2D" claiming it does a 2D graphics benchmark. Running it on froyo gives me 29 fps. Anyone willing to run this on CM7? This could possibly be used to quantify 2D performance, which is good when testing replacement libs...

Edited by dr.flo

I differ here. Maybe Link2SD has changed since I last used it, but it did not move as much to SD as DT's A2SD did. And the built-in a2sd of Froyo was not good at all, no widgets, etc.

I think DT is the cleanest and best solution. It moves almost everything once you set up the card right. (Which only has to be done correctly once, and never touched again.)

I don't know why "cachesd" doesn't seem to activate "out of the box", but that seems to be a common problem. It is one of the reasons why I never implemented it as part of the installation on the roms I made. But it has never failed to work for me if I issue the command after the first boot. I don't think it is that big of a problem.

Honestly, the biggest problem is people who can't be bothered to do the background work to learn how to use this stuff. It is all here and it is not that hard. But my experience over the last 18 months of producing roms is that people want everything done for them.

[edit: and that is the reason why every once in a while I just snap and say something mean to someone <_< ]

Even if you write extremely detailed instructions (cf. TXG and FTB threads), some people are still going to have the same problems over and over again. You can't make this stuff "idiot-proof", so there will always be some problems.

Of course you can set up the boot.img to allow for DT to be installed separately, and let the user chose the built-in, DT, Link2SD, etc. themselves. That would be similar to the "Basic CM6.1 Rom" I set up back in the day. But in the end, that isn't less complicated for the end user.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Edited by twrock

Guest zoki.m1

here is a data2ext for this rom flash through recovery

1 uninstall a2sd

2 flash the file

3 in terminal emulator write data2ext --enable

4 restart

done

this only work on ext2 partition

post-851466-0-00594600-1327669422_thumb.

data2ext_for_CM.zip

Edited by zoki.m1

1 uninstall a2sd

2 flash the file

4 restart

done

ok, this looks simple and clean...

now me for example - although way able to mostly fix camera - I don't know how to cleanly uninstall a2sd. How do you do this?

Edited by dr.flo

1 uninstall a2sd

2 flash the file

4 restart

done

how do you do #1 uninstall a2sd?

internal space 500mb+ feels good :-)

edit:

what the good card can be - class 6, class 10? Is stock Pulse 2Gb card good enough - 10 reads 6 writes...

Edited by pier11

Guest rulerofkaos

edit: there is a market app: "fps2D" claiming it does a 2D graphics benchmark. Running it on froyo gives me 29 fps. Anyone willing to run this on CM7? This could possibly be used to quantify 2D performance, which is good when testing replacement libs...

I ran it on CM7 and got 22 fps. So this might expain the choppy behaviour of the UI sometimes.

I ran it on CM7 and got 22 fps. So this might expain the choppy behaviour of the UI sometimes.

one should probably take into account cpu speed. Good practice I'd guess to use stock frequency for tests 528 i.e. No overclock.