Rooting SF2

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Hello there everybody!

I am wanting to root my Orange San Francisco II, I don't want to unlock or mess around with custom roms. I just want to get root access.

I have rooted my old phone (Galaxy 5 I5500) and installed Cyanogenmod numerous times on it so I'm not a complete Android noob, but still, try and keep it as simple and easy to understand as possible.

I have read the main thread about unlocking/debranding but I can't see anything about rooting. Is there a one-click method available yet?

Thank you

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

have you tried pushing the superuser apk to the system?

No, how would I go about doing this, would it just be as simply as putting the APK on my SD card and installing it, also would this be safe and have no risk on braking my device?

Thank you.

Guest Amphoras

No, how would I go about doing this, would it just be as simply as putting the APK on my SD card and installing it, also would this be safe and have no risk on braking my device?

Thank you.

That wouldn't work. To write to the system partition you need to mount it as read/write, and to do that you need to be rooted.

I think there are some root methods for gingerbread, but don't know if they will work here or not. Alternatively you could flash ClockworkMod recovery through fastboot then install the superuser zip from here. After you do that you should be rooted.

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

That wouldn't work. To write to the system partition you need to mount it as read/write, and to do that you need to be rooted.

I think there are some root methods for gingerbread, but don't know if they will work here or not. Alternatively you could flash ClockworkMod recovery through fastboot then install the superuser zip from here. After you do that you should be rooted.

Would this be safe and secure?

Guest Amphoras

Whenever you do any kind of flashing, there's a chance of breaking something, but its one of the safer ways. Once you've flashed ClockworkMod recovery you can use it to take a backup of your current setup before you flash the superuser zip. Then if something went wrong at that point you could just restore the backup.

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Whenever you do any kind of flashing, there's a chance of breaking something, but its one of the safer ways. Once you've flashed ClockworkMod recovery you can use it to take a backup of your current setup before you flash the superuser zip. Then if something went wrong at that point you could just restore the backup.

I don't want to risk anything at this moment in time, will Super One Click, Universal Androot or any other easy-to-use, simple rooting methods work?

Thanks for the replies, I really do appreciate it.

Guest Amphoras

I don't want to risk anything at this moment in time, will Super One Click, Universal Androot or any other easy-to-use, simple rooting methods work?

Thanks for the replies, I really do appreciate it.

I don't know if they'd work or not, I've never used either of them. Any rooting method is making changes to your phone, so they all come with some element of risk of damage.

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

I don't know if they'd work or not, I've never used either of them. Any rooting method is making changes to your phone, so they all come with some element of risk of damage.

I understand that, but using a one touch application just makes my life easier and risk-free. I don't want to mess around with flashing on this phone just yet.

Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest t.reddings

I understand that, but using a one touch application just makes my life easier and risk-free. I don't want to mess around with flashing on this phone just yet.

Thanks for your help.

Did you ever get any further on this. I too have an unlocked phone and wanted to root it. Looks like I'll have to go through the whole unlock root process again.

******* updated ********

Just throught about this again. CAn anyone confirm that if I install CWM and then put on a rom the phone is rooted?

Edited by t.reddings