Bricked T-Mobile Vvacity

Guest The smartphone

Guest The smartphone

Hi all, I've managed to brick my new T-mobile Vivacity.

I first installed ClockworkMod directly, using image directory as explained here. As a result, the normal OS will not boot and the phone would always go into recovery mode.

Then I tried to restore the original ROM, which I flashed using the recovery mode. It completed successfully, however upon restart the phone doesn't go into OS again, but rather starts in some broken recovery mode. It is blue, rather than orange, and doesn't allow me to select any menu entries (but it does allow me to change them).

I can go into FMT mode by pressing VolDown during start-up. However it doesn't look like adb is detecting my phone. Windows 7 32bit sees my phone as "ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface(DFU) (COM3)", but adb doesn't see the device at all (adb devices).

Looks like I need a way to start my phone in "fastboot" mode, as described here, where the guy has a similar problem. I tried a few key combinations during start-up, Menu+VolDown, Menu+VolUp, Home+VolUp/Down, but so far I either get the FTM or the broken blue recovery.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Guest woodywoodpecker

I first installed ClockworkMod directly, using image directory as explained here. As a result, the normal OS will not boot and the phone would always go into recovery mode.

Then I tried to restore the original ROM, which I flashed using the recovery mode. It completed successfully, however upon restart the phone doesn't go into OS again, but rather starts in some broken recovery mode. It is blue, rather than orange, and doesn't allow me to select any menu entries (but it does allow me to change them).

I can go into FMT mode by pressing VolDown during start-up. However it doesn't look like adb is detecting my phone. Windows 7 32bit sees my phone as "ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface(DFU) (COM3)", but adb doesn't see the device at all (adb devices).

Looks like I need a way to start my phone in "fastboot" mode, as described here, where the guy has a similar problem. I tried a few key combinations during start-up, Menu+VolDown, Menu+VolUp, Home+VolUp/Down, but so far I either get the FTM or the broken blue recovery.

D/load this mate and run it with your phone in ftm mode this will get you to clockwork so you can install the rom.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qz9zxw2su026vzj

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I kind of got stuck earlier on in the same way as you, so I made sure I got clockwork installed as above, then used my sdcard adaptor on my laptop and copied all my needed files over to the sdcard, then stuck the sdcard back in the phone and used clockwork to flash it. I would try that. I also lost my mac address but I had backed it up with the QPST suite so was able to restore it.

Guest The smartphone

I've tried the suggested solution. Flashing fails at 6/100 with message "Line fail - reset modem manually". Any ideas?

Edited by The smartphone

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Can't find any additional info on the subject so far :(

Think you need to find someone with a 32bit computer who will be willing to let you do the necessary although I have 64bit installed and managed to get it all working so I'm not sure what's going wrong with yours.

Guest The smartphone

Think you need to find someone with a 32bit computer who will be willing to let you do the necessary although I have 64bit installed and managed to get it all working so I'm not sure what's going wrong with yours.

I am using Windows 7 32 bit actually...

Guest The smartphone

You did install the drivers from this post? Also, you did use the proper unlock from the same post? (i.e. Not the Orange one?)

I followed this blogpost, which talks about Vivacity quite explicitly. The drivers appeared to be ok, as far as I can tell...

Guest ROMZERO

sounds like clockwork recovery isnt installed correctly, flash the tpt partition layout found on page 2 of the zte crescent section. i used the 40mb choice that'll give you a full working Clockwork and you can fix things from there i.e. flash another rom make sure you download the TMV one

Edited by ROMZERO

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I followed this blogpost, which talks about Vivacity quite explicitly. The drivers appeared to be ok, as far as I can tell...

OK, We're going to need much more info in order to help you...

1. What happens when you power up the phone?
  2. What happens when you power up the phone while holding down the volume down button?
  3. Have you tried to remove the battery, wait 10 seconds and then power up in both methods above?
  4. Are you able to get into the FTM mode (Where the screen shows nothing but the letters "FTM")?
  5. You know that you must try to use the download.exe while in FTM mode or while the clockwork recovery is showing?
Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest The smartphone

sounds like clockwork recovery isnt installed correctly, flash the tpt partition layout found on page 2 of the zte crescent section. i used the 40mb choice that'll give you a full working Clockwork and you can fix things from there i.e. flash another rom make sure you download the TMV one

I tried doing that, following this post, however I cannot force the phone to pick up the image. I don't have a running system to do it from settings, and pressing different keys on startup, in particular the suggested Vol+-Menu, doesn't do anything. Do you know which keys I need to press to init flashing from the SD card on startup?

Edited by The smartphone

Guest The smartphone

OK, We're going to need much more info in order to help you...

1. What happens when you power up the phone?
  2. What happens when you power up the phone while holding down the volume down button?
  3. Have you tried to remove the battery, wait 10 seconds and then power up in both methods above?
  4. Are you able to get into the FTM mode (Where the screen shows nothing but the letters "FTM")?
  5. You know that you must try to use the download.exe while in FTM mode or while the clockwork recovery is showing?

Sure, more than happy to provide any information. Here we go:

1. Green robot is shown for some time, then screen goes blank and the robot reappars, finally blue-colored CWM is shown, with an exclamation sign in the background. I can move between menu items in CWM, but I can't select any.

2. I get FTM mode

3. Yes, same result

4. Yes

5. I used download.exe while the phone was in FTM mode.

Guest ROMZERO

you need to hold + keep holding it then hold power button (still holding + for 5 seconds) or if you can get to the os you can go to updates and flash from there. Also im sure pyscho knows more about pushing ADB too maybe he can expand.

I tried doing that, following this post, however I cannot force the phone to pick up the image. I don't have a running system to do it from settings, and pressing different keys on startup, in particular the suggested Vol+-Menu, doesn't do anything. Do you know which keys I need to press to init flashing from the SD card on startup?

Edited by ROMZERO

Guest The smartphone

you need to hold + keep holding it then hold power button (still holding + for 5 seconds) or if you can get to the os you can go to updates and flash from there. Also im sure pyscho knows more about pushing ADB too maybe he can expand.

Ok, so I press and hold Vol+ (VolUp), then I press the power button - the phone starts booting. I don't let go the Vol+. The phone eventually boots into the defective CWM...

Guest ROMZERO

I had the exact problem you have (defective Clockwork) what i suggest you do is uninstall the zte drivers,reinstall them, make sure you have clockwork4.0.1.5-blade2.img or clockwork 5 in the same folder as ADB folder then keep trying.i had to try an insane 10 or 20 times but it eventually worked.

Ok, so I press and hold Vol+ (VolUp), then I press the power button - the phone starts booting. I don't let go the Vol+. The phone eventually boots into the defective CWM...

Edited by ROMZERO

Guest The smartphone

I had the exact problem you have (defective Clockwork) what i suggest you do is uninstall the zte drivers,reinstall them, make sure you have clockwork4.0.1.5-blade2.img or clockwork 5 in the same folder as ADB folder then keep trying.i had to try an insane 10 or 20 times but it eventually worked.

Could you be more specific please, what exactly did you try with adb?

Guest ROMZERO

what you do is follow bouncers guide to install clockwork which is this (ignore the enable debugging as you cant acces the OS it shouldnt matter. but how i done it was the clockwork image drag and drop it into the adb folder before you open the commad prompt window)

• Boot up phone
  • Enable Debugging Mode. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Install Drivers.
  • Open the ADB Folder,Hold shift and Right click in the folder and select "Open Command Windows Here"
  • Type adb-windows.exe reboot bootloaderThe phone will reboot to a great Android man and stay there
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
  • It will say recovery sending... Okay, Recovery writing... Okay, If this says failed. Please contact me.
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe reboot
  • Once your phone has started up type adb-windows.exe reboot recovery and you will be in Clockwork Mod Recovery Congratulation!

Could you be more specific please, what exactly did you try with adb?

Edited by ROMZERO

Guest ROMZERO

try this while in FTM mode it might work,you cant brick your phone twice over but -DO AT YOUR OWN RISK IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FURTHER DAMAGE

what you do is follow bouncers guide to install clockwork which is this (ignore the enable debugging as you cant acces the OS it shouldnt matter. but how i down it was the clockwork image drag and drop it into the adb folder before you open the commad prompt window)

• Boot up phone
  • Enable Debugging Mode. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Install Drivers.
  • Open the ADB Folder,Hold shift and Right click in the folder and select "Open Command Windows Here"
  • Type adb-windows.exe reboot bootloaderThe phone will reboot to a great Android man and stay there
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
  • It will say recovery sending... Okay, Recovery writing... Okay, If this says failed. Please contact me.
  • Now type fastboot-windows.exe reboot
  • Once your phone has started up type adb-windows.exe reboot recovery and you will be in Clockwork Mod Recovery Congratulation!

If you get into FTM mode holding down the vol button that's all you're supposed to get! You won't get into clockwork proper until you install the correct ROM.

The blue version of CWM is a newer version not compatable with the roms on here IIRC.

If your soft keys don't work in CWM you need to continually press 'down' until cheat mode is enabled, which lets you use the power button as 'select'.

HTH

Edited by fr0do

Guest The smartphone

If you get into FTM mode holding down the vol button that's all you're supposed to get! You won't get into clockwork proper until you install the correct ROM.

The blue version of CWM is a newer version not compatable with the roms on here IIRC.

If your soft keys don't work in CWM you need to continually press 'down' until cheat mode is enabled, which lets you use the power button as 'select'.

HTH

Ok, the cheat trick with CWM sounds like a useful one, thanks, will give it a go.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Ok, the cheat trick with CWM sounds like a useful one, thanks, will give it a go.

That's the one I was trying to think of, unfortunately I have a San Francisco II which does not have the "soft" buttons so I've never needed this. As I said, best advice for you is from Vivacity owners :)

Guest woodywoodpecker

HTH

fr0do, clockwork ver 5.0.2.7 blue version is working perfect on my vivacity installed fish and chips rom with it no problem.