Possible Brick - any ideas

Guest t.reddings

Guest t.reddings

***************** UPDATED - The phone is now working

A big thank you to all who suggested help. But to MCZQ who suggested the zte tool.

Hi all, I'm not new to this and I've had my Vivacity running nice since last December. (however I may not be new but I'm still needing some help)

Background: I'm running unlocked FLB2a and CW v5 since December (CW installed via system update option from the settings menu) on a Vivacity.

Everything was fine till now....I believe I've bricked my phone after trying to update it today.

Process of events:

I repartitioned my memory using the tried method for Vivacity. Option 3: 160MB system, 40MB cache, 240MB data

Prior to this I backed up in CWM. Took about 5 mins.

This install worked. It rebooted to CWM.

Then I tried a restore. This failed. Bugger! I saw I had a different version of CWM (4 not 5) therefore I assumed I could not restore till I had the same version that I backup with (which was 5). Can someone confirm this???

Okay so I installed FLB2a ROM. This worked. Next and this is where I'm kicking myself. I then downloaded CWM ver 4. Put it as an IMAGE directory I then used the system update from setting menu.

The phone shut down rebooted and I saw the update blip past, then the green man.

That's where I am now.

If I reboot:

(+) vol and power on with Menu - green man

(-)vol and power = green man

Plugged in phone at one point the PC recognised the phone installed drivers. But still no joy. I've tried ADB method, 'device not found' given.

I have also in one of the many attempts managed to get to CWM, but all I saw was one line of text with CWM 5 on my screen.

So what I need is help to somehow 'force' my phone to take the new CWM. Any takers out there?

One issue I've always had. The boot with (+) vol and <menu> and power has never worked. Would be nice if it did. Could this be as the Vivacity has no physical buttons?

I give up for now. I'll check back tomorrow.

Edited by t.reddings

Guest woodywoodpecker

Hi all, I'm not new to this and I've had my Vivacity running nice since last December. (however I may not be new but I'm still needing some help)

Background: I'm running unlocked FLB2a and CW v5 since December (CW installed via system update option from the settings menu) on a Vivacity.

Everything was fine till now....I believe I've bricked my phone after trying to update it today.

Process of events:

I repartitioned my memory using the tried method for Vivacity. Option 3: 160MB system, 40MB cache, 240MB data

Prior to this I backed up in CWM. Took about 5 mins.

This install worked. It rebooted to CWM.

Then I tried a restore. This failed. Bugger! I saw I had a different version of CWM (4 not 5) therefore I assumed I could not restore till I had the same version that I backup with (which was 5). Can someone confirm this???

Okay so I installed FLB2a ROM. This worked. Next and this is where I'm kicking myself. I then downloaded CWM ver 4. Put it as an IMAGE directory I then used the system update from setting menu.

The phone shut down rebooted and I saw the update blip past, then the green man.

That's where I am now.

If I reboot:

(+) vol and power on with Menu - green man

(-)vol and power = green man

Plugged in phone at one point the PC recognised the phone installed drivers. But still no joy. I've tried ADB method, 'device not found' given.

I have also in one of the many attempts managed to get to CWM, but all I saw was one line of text with CWM 5 on my screen.

So what I need is help to somehow 'force' my phone to take the new CWM. Any takers out there?

One issue I've always had. The boot with (+) vol and <menu> and power has never worked. Would be nice if it did. Could this be as the Vivacity has no physical buttons?

I give up for now. I'll check back tomorrow.

Follow every step and don't miss anything out from the link below, i revived a zte blade stuck at green man would not do anything but this got it up and running again.

Guest Reider59

Be careful, I think that was for the original SF. The posts are from April 2011 for the gen 1/2 and the SFII/Vivacity came out at the back end of November 2011. Unless I`m much mistaken.

I doubt its truly bricked. But wait for someone with more experience of this problem. Whatever you do just be careful from here on in, don`t put just anything on. Good luck

Edited by Reider59

Power plus vol- does work on the TMV. USB mustn't be connected. Hold down vol-, then press power on for a couple of secs like a normal power on. Keep holding vol- until the screen changes. You shouldn't see the green android.

Edited by fr0do

Guest t.reddings

Power plus vol- does work on the TMV. USB mustn't be connected. Hold down vol-, then press power on for a couple of secs like a normal power on. Keep holding vol- until the screen changes. You shouldn't see the green android.

Hi Fr0do. Thanks for this. However I have already tried this. Before I messed up this would take me to clockwork mod. But as I tried to flash version 4 over the top of version 5 it's now in a state of nothing. As mentioned in one of many attemptes I did get to a screen with no green man and one line of text. This line was half way donw the screen and said 'Clockwork MOD Ver 5..... )

That was the only text. The buttons worked and vibrated but no other text displayed.

I have two options. Somehow get the phone recognised on a PC and push Clockwork. This is failing as the phone is in a limbo state.

The second option os use the image directory to update clockwork mod. This option fails as the vol(+) & MENU with power on is not working. I've held these for 5 minutes and nothing.

However I will again try what you state. What do you expect will happen when I do? You say the screen will change. What will it change to?

Cheers

Guest t.reddings

Be careful, I think that was for the original SF. The posts are from April 2011 for the gen 1/2 and the SFII/Vivacity came out at the back end of November 2011. Unless I`m much mistaken.

I doubt its truly bricked. But wait for someone with more experience of this problem. Whatever you do just be careful from here on in, don`t put just anything on. Good luck

Thank you for the words of encouragement. :unsure: At the back of my mind I've accepted it's a gonner. If I could just force CWM on this then I'm good to go. That's the problem...how?

Does anyone remember what the original boot screen was on the Vivacity. If there was a green man soemwhere there maybe I'll try the warranty option? :(

Edited by t.reddings

Just fastboot a new recovery.img similar to this http://android.modac...mple-windows-7/ I think you have made this more dramatic than it is unless I have misread youll be fine :) Either way, whats warranty for :)

Youll have to power the phone on using the Volume UP + Power button this will put the phone into bootloader mode, after that you want to issue the fastboot command fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-blade2.img after a reboot into recovery (Which would be Volume Down + power) you should be able to flash a update.zip for your ROM as normal.

Edited by MCZQ

Guest t.reddings

Just fastboot a new recovery.img similar to this http://android.modac...mple-windows-7/ I think you have made this more dramatic than it is unless I have misread youll be fine :) Either way, whats warranty for :)

Youll have to power the phone on using the Volume UP + Power button this will put the phone into bootloader mode, after that you want to issue the fastboot command fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-blade2.img after a reboot into recovery (Which would be Volume Down + power) you should be able to flash a update.zip for your ROM as normal.

Hi, thank you for the help. It's nice to see most think I haven't 'bricked' it. The advice here I attempted for hours last night. I am unable to get the fastboot command to run. It fails with 'device not found'. I will try again tonight. I tried on an XP machine that failed. Maybe a Win 7 will do better? Fingers crossed. :mellow:

Guest windy_miller

Have you tried taking the battery out, plugging the phone in to the mains, then try the vol +/- boot? That is the only way I could get my phone into FTM mode the first time.

Guest t.reddings

I have tried to get the phone into fast boot mode but unsure of the success. Possibly as I am unsure what the phone will show on the screen in fastboot mode, I'm guessing green man, but as that's all I normally see either way I'm unsure. So I have to assume fastboot is active, I have pressed vol(+) and power and also taken the battery out and pluged in each time the green man shown. Each attempt I do plug in the phone and run the command to fastboot a new image. But this sits with command waiting for device.

I have however spotted that each time I plug in the device the XP machine now recognises an Android device. But the driver from this forum instals to C:\Program Files\ZTE Handset USB Driver, neither of these work. Windows states the driver was not installed. Device Manager shows the Android with yellow ?. I've tried to manually update driver but again this fails.

So maybe I try a different driver. If my XP machine recognises the phone it can send the clockward image via fastboot.

More help needed please. :unsure:

Guest t.reddings

I posted this else where, give it a shot

Are you doing all of this on the machine you unlocked/flashed it from in the first place?

All from the same machine. Also using other machines. My mates PC (XP) now installed the driver for ZTE. But still gets the same issue 'waiting for device' when trying to puch down clockwork mod.

I'll try the ZTE tool you list.

Guest t.reddings

Possible option.

Right looking through the old Blade area I uncovered a tool for debricking, listed here

I have managed to get the phone into download mode. The next step is a flasher.

Here's a recap:

Method 5: The dodgy ZTE firmware flasher

This method can help if your blade cannot boot at all. Consider it a LAST RESORT - people do this all the time and only make their situation worse. Only use it if all the above methods fail or if your IMEI is corrupt. Your IMEI will be lost in the process and you will need to use hex editing to fix it up afterwards. This method also requires windows. Most of this is taken from burstlam’s thread here, which you can also refer to (burstlam has posted screenshots which also help to show what to do). Do the following in order:

Boot into download mode and set up connection

Download and install the ZTE USB driver.

Put your phone in download mode by turning it on with both volume buttons held down at the same time. The screen will remain black, but the notification LED should briefly flash red.

Plug it into your computer. The phone should be recognised in windows device manager under “Ports (COM & LPT)” as “ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface(DFU) (COMxx)”. Take note of the port number (xx). If your phone cannot turn on at all and the LED doesn’t flash, it is dead. Sorry about that.

Now I need help. Who has the firmware I could flash here. Or should I steer clear? :unsure:

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Possible option.

Right looking through the old Blade area I uncovered a tool for debricking, listed here http://android.modac...ng-a-zte-blade/

I have managed to get the phone into download mode. The next step is a flasher.

Here's a recap:

Method 5: The dodgy ZTE firmware flasher

This method can help if your blade cannot boot at all. Consider it a LAST RESORT - people do this all the time and only make their situation worse. Only use it if all the above methods fail or if your IMEI is corrupt. Your IMEI will be lost in the process and you will need to use hex editing to fix it up afterwards. This method also requires windows. Most of this is taken from burstlam’s thread here, which you can also refer to (burstlam has posted screenshots which also help to show what to do). Do the following in order:

Boot into download mode and set up connection

Download and install the ZTE USB driver.

Put your phone in download mode by turning it on with both volume buttons held down at the same time. The screen will remain black, but the notification LED should briefly flash red.

Plug it into your computer. The phone should be recognised in windows device manager under “Ports (COM & LPT)” as “ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface(DFU) (COMxx)”. Take note of the port number (xx). If your phone cannot turn on at all and the LED doesn’t flash, it is dead. Sorry about that.

Now I need help. Who has the firmware I could flash here. Or should I steer clear? :unsure:

To be honest, If it was me I would sooner ask someone with a vivacity here to jump on teamviewer and try carrying out the steps remotely for you, you could also have a webcam trained on the phone to let them see what the phone is doing too. There may be something you're missing that they could catch.

Just an idea :)

Might be nice to have volunteer "flashers" who could do this. They would have to be trustworthy of course.

Guest t.reddings

I posted this else where, give it a shot

Are you doing all of this on the machine you unlocked/flashed it from in the first place?

This option gave a parital success. I had to use a mates android in USB tether mode as the work network blocked. He's offered to try this at home as the tool detected a newer version, yet it showed 129Mb download. See attached file. Shall I update or not?

untitled.bmp

Edited by t.reddings

This option gave a parital success. I had to use a mates android in USB tether mode as the work network blocked. He's offered to try this at home as the tool detected a newer version, yet it showed 129Mb download. See attached file. Shall I update or not?

100odd mb sounds right. Go for it. :) Your phones detected etc all you have to do is hit update!

Download took awhile with this tool for me, must be coming from chinas best shittest servers.

FYI this should restore the phone to how you bought it.

Edited by MCZQ

Guest t.reddings

100odd mb sounds right. Go for it. :) Your phones detected etc all you have to do is hit update!

Download took awhile with this tool for me, must be coming from chinas best shittest servers.

FYI this should restore the phone to how you bought it.

Thank you, your help resolved my issue. I have just heard from my mate who's got a working phone for me.