ZTE-Z990 Avail HowTo's

Guest mikefm

After quite some time searching the net for details on this great phone, I though I'd have enough data to start a new set of HowTo's.

I couldn't find a forum for the Z990, so I posted here - if anybody feels, this needs to be moved elsewhere, please go ahead.

All these Howto's have been tested by myself, however, these come with no guarantee whatsoever. I will not be responsible for any damage to your equipment!

Proceed with caution, there's a chance you might brick your phone!

Let's start with the most interesting HowTo:

HowTo unlock a ZTE-Z990

This set of instructions is mostly based on the steps outlined in other ZTE device related posts, but it takes some different sets of files to succeed.

Part I: save your Wifi settings

- Google for "QPST 2.7 366", download, install

- Set your phone to FTM mode (turn off, hold vol down & power for 5 seconds, display will show FTM)

- Connect your phone to USB port

- From the QPST program folder, run Software Download

- Select Backup tab, then hit Start

- You now have a file containing a backup of your NVRAM, including the WIFI MAC address. Note the file name and folder of the backup file

- Close "Software Download", right-click the globe icon in the status bar, select "Stop QPST server"

Part II: flash the device

- Get the flasher tool, extract to a folder of your choice, e.g. c:\flasher

- Get the v1.0.0B29 firmware package, extract to c:\flasher\files

- Start Unlock.exe. The status below the Start button should be "Ready".

- Hit Start. This will take 5-10 minutes. Be patient, do not interrupt the process! The phone will restart at ~98%, and switch back to FTM. Wait for completion!

- Close the flasher tool.

Part III: restore Wifi settings

- Open "Software Download" again.

- This time, select "Restore". Enter the name and folder of the qcn file you just generated.

- Hit Start to write back settings to the phone

Done! Your phone is now unlocked, and will accept any SIM of your choice!

Let's move on...

HowTo root a ZTE-Z990

Does not require any prerequisites.

This is the long way, I'm sure there are simpler solutions. Should you have any, please feel free to share with us.

- Boot the phone, enable USB debugging in Applications->Development->USB-Debugging

- Download this package

- Extract

- Open a shell and run adb-windows.exe devices, it should list a P736T. If it doesn't, make sure drivers are installed.

- now type these commands:

- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs (ignore any errors)

- adb shell mkdir /data/local/logs

- adb shell ln -s /data/local.prop /data/local/logs/loglast1.tar.gz

- Use your Z990's dialer to enter *983*7668# and wait, but DON'T PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON. Then wait 10 seconds. This enables root access.

- adb shell echo \"ro.kernel.qemu=1\" > /data/local.prop

- adb reboot

- Wait for the phone to reboot, then type

- adb push su /system/xbin/su

- adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su

- adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

- adb shell rm /data/local.prop

- adb shell rm /data/property/persist.sys.ztelog.enable

- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs

- adb shell rm -r /data/local/rwsystag

Now the phone is rooted, and you are ready to install the Superuser app from the Market.

HowTo change the Bootlogo and sound on a ZTE-Z990

This requires root access.

Get this package, unpack to your phone's sdcard.

The animation is removed, only a still AT&T logo is displayed. In addition, the annoying noise is replaced by a blank mp3 file.

Now use root explorer to copy the Bootsound.mp3 and bootanimation.zip to the below locations.

/system/media/audio/ui/Bootsound.mp3

/system/media/bootanimation.zip

Thanks

MikeFM

Package mirrors

Flasher tool package

v1.0.0B29 stock firmware package

Root package

Bootlogo package

Edited by mikefm

Guest chunk351

I have a question relating to the QPST tool...I have my phone attached and have it set on COM 1, the program is not detecting it...there has to be a step you are missing or that is for the Roamer which is CDMA not GSM as the Avail is...both have the same model number (Z990).

If you recognize my name its because it was my thread over on XDA that prompted Jcase to figure out how to root the phone. I want to develop a custom rom, first step to that is to get a a way to flash the phone...if this tool works then it would solve a lot.

Also Mike, I answered your PMs over on XDA...and put them in the thread there.

Edited by chunk351

I have a question relating to the QPST tool...I have my phone attached and have it set on COM 1, the program is not detecting it...there has to be a step you are missing or that is for the Roamer which is CDMA not GSM as the Avail is...both have the same model number (Z990).

Hm, this is the way it worked for me. You may want to try another COM port. Right-click the globe icon from the task bar, select QPST Configuration, click tab Ports, your phone should be listed here. Make sure State says Enabled. If it's not, try removing the COM port, and adding a new one. When adding a new COM port, the program will suggest a usable port. Use this one, don't change it. If all this fails, try rebooting your PC. For some reasons, this seems to change things. It should list your phone as SURF7627-LINUX (DEADD00D).

You may also want to try a different PC.

Let me know if this helps.

Guest lgboyoptimus

Hey Mike,

Can you please upload those files you asked us to download to another server like rapidshare or mediafire or something similar. The link (flasher tool, v1.0.0B17 firmware package, etc) you gave is not working for me(maybe some other people as well).

Thank you

Guest mikefm

Can you please upload those files you asked us to download to another server like rapidshare or mediafire or something similar. The link (flasher tool, v1.0.0B17 firmware package, etc) you gave is not working for me(maybe some other people as well).

I added a list of mirrors at the bottom of the post. Mediafire won't work for me (keep getting timeouts), so if anybody is willing to create a Mediafire mirror, please go ahead.

Guest lgboyoptimus

I added a list of mirrors at the bottom of the post. Mediafire won't work for me (keep getting timeouts), so if anybody is willing to create a Mediafire mirror, please go ahead.

Thanks Bro. Thanks for your effort

Guest chunk351

Hm, this is the way it worked for me. You may want to try another COM port. Right-click the globe icon from the task bar, select QPST Configuration, click tab Ports, your phone should be listed here. Make sure State says Enabled. If it's not, try removing the COM port, and adding a new one. When adding a new COM port, the program will suggest a usable port. Use this one, don't change it. If all this fails, try rebooting your PC. For some reasons, this seems to change things. It should list your phone as SURF7627-LINUX (DEADD00D).

You may also want to try a different PC.

Let me know if this helps.

can you put qpst on rapid share as well, I had to download from another source...maybe that is my issue

Not available

Our service is currently unavailable in your country. We are sorry about that.

Guest mikefm

can you put qpst on rapid share as well, I had to download from another source...maybe that is my issue

Google for "QPST 2.7 366", it gives you tons of hits. Try another one.

Guest chunk351

Google for "QPST 2.7 366", it gives you tons of hits. Try another one.

Thats what I did, You know your version works, why reinvent the wheel?

Guest chiqmava

I followed your instructions for unlocking this phone, but the unlocker got stuck on 98 percent because the phone didn't go into FTM. Now i am unable to go into FTM manually as well. Is the phone bricked, or is there a way to revert the process.

BTW, phone is stuck on AT&T logo, from the ROM in your description.

Edited by chiqmava

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kryzzle

Got mine unlocked, too - thanks!

@chiqmava: is your phone still accessible through adb? If so, you might be able to re-flash the recovery partition.

Guest lgboyoptimus

Ok, so I tried to unlock another z990 but the unlock software is GREYED out and it's got this open link underneath but i can't get to click anything. Good thing is it didn't freeze or do anything to the phone. What do I do next?

Thanks

Guest mikefm

Ok, so I tried to unlock another z990 but the unlock software is GREYED out and it's got this open link underneath but i can't get to click anything. Good thing is it didn't freeze or do anything to the phone. What do I do next?

Check if QPST properly recognized the device. If it did, make sure the QPST server is terminated (right-click the globe icon in task bar to select shutdown).

If QPST did not recognize the phone, this would point to a driver problem. Try re-installing the drivers.

Mike

Guest lgboyoptimus

Check if QPST properly recognized the device. If it did, make sure the QPST server is terminated (right-click the globe icon in task bar to select shutdown).

If QPST did not recognize the phone, this would point to a driver problem. Try re-installing the drivers.

Mike

Qpst did just fine. I think the problem is from when you launch the unlock tool. Does QPST server has to be on again for the unlock tool to work?

Guest mikefm

Qpst did just fine. I think the problem is from when you launch the unlock tool. Does QPST server has to be on again for the unlock tool to work?

QPST should be quit for the flasher tool to work. Did you try running the flasher just after a boot, without starting QPST?

Guest lgboyoptimus

QPST should be quit for the flasher tool to work. Did you try running the flasher just after a boot, without starting QPST?

Yea I made sure QPST shut down before I started the flasher tool

• 2 months later...
Guest NeoDraven

I found and followed this guide to unlock my Avail. It worked; I tested it with a T-Mobile SIM Card, and successfully placed a call. The problem was, unlocking it with this method unrooted my phone.

When I attempted to reroot it, it hangs on the "adb shell echo \"ro.kernel.qemu=1\" > /data/local.pro" part, saying, "cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied".

I had to use the ZTE T-Card stock flash method to be able to reroot my phone, which, of course, also undid the unlocking.

Does anyone know how to unlock this phone and keep it rooted? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Nevermind. User error. I was going too fast after entering the dev code. It works perfectly now, and I am finally off of AT&T's networks. Thanks!

Edited by NeoDraven

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest phani

Thanks for all your help in putting a guide on unlocking. I had followed all the steps for my Avail, and they ran successfully. But, when I insert the SIM, it's still saying SIM not found.

I really appreciate your pointers with this issue.

Guest jorrddan

Hi, thanks for the cool description!

I have problem with rooting, when I start adb.windows.exe, cmd window shows for a second and than close himself.

cmd not recognized command adb and show me error.

I'm sure that the problem in me, but I don't know how to resolve.

Please help me!

Thanks!

Mike,

Congratulations for learning to copy and paste, next time your steal my work please attach my name to it, ie so it's not theft anymore. I actually spent hours breaking down the system applications, and going through them line by line to find this bug, and all I want is accreditation for my work. Thats it.

Original publication (modified versions were posted elsewhere in various forums)

http://www.androidpo...sy-root-access/

After quite some time searching the net for details on this great phone, I though I'd have enough data to start a new set of HowTo's.

I couldn't find a forum for the Z990, so I posted here - if anybody feels, this needs to be moved elsewhere, please go ahead.

All these Howto's have been tested by myself, however, these come with no guarantee whatsoever. I will not be responsible for any damage to your equipment!

Proceed with caution, there's a chance you might brick your phone!

Let's start with the most interesting HowTo:

HowTo unlock a ZTE-Z990

This set of instructions is mostly based on the steps outlined in other ZTE device related posts, but it takes some different sets of files to succeed.

Part I: save your Wifi settings

- Google for "QPST 2.7 366", download, install

- Set your phone to FTM mode (turn off, hold vol down & power for 5 seconds, display will show FTM)

- Connect your phone to USB port

- From the QPST program folder, run Software Download

- Select Backup tab, then hit Start

- You now have a file containing a backup of your NVRAM, including the WIFI MAC address. Note the file name and folder of the backup file

- Close "Software Download", right-click the globe icon in the status bar, select "Stop QPST server"

Part II: flash the device

- Get the flasher tool, extract to a folder of your choice, e.g. c:\flasher

- Get the v1.0.0B29 firmware package, extract to c:\flasher\files

- Start Unlock.exe. The status below the Start button should be "Ready".

- Hit Start. This will take 5-10 minutes. Be patient, do not interrupt the process! The phone will restart at ~98%, and switch back to FTM. Wait for completion!

- Close the flasher tool.

Part III: restore Wifi settings

- Open "Software Download" again.

- This time, select "Restore". Enter the name and folder of the qcn file you just generated.

- Hit Start to write back settings to the phone

Done! Your phone is now unlocked, and will accept any SIM of your choice!

Let's move on...

HowTo root a ZTE-Z990

Does not require any prerequisites.

This is the long way, I'm sure there are simpler solutions. Should you have any, please feel free to share with us.

- Boot the phone, enable USB debugging in Applications->Development->USB-Debugging

- Download this package

- Extract

- Open a shell and run adb-windows.exe devices, it should list a P736T. If it doesn't, make sure drivers are installed.

- now type these commands:

- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs (ignore any errors)

- adb shell mkdir /data/local/logs

- adb shell ln -s /data/local.prop /data/local/logs/loglast1.tar.gz

- Use your Z990's dialer to enter *983*7668# and wait, but DON'T PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON. Then wait 10 seconds. This enables root access.

- adb shell echo \"ro.kernel.qemu=1\" > /data/local.prop

- adb reboot

- Wait for the phone to reboot, then type

- adb push su /system/xbin/su

- adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su

- adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

- adb shell rm /data/local.prop

- adb shell rm /data/property/persist.sys.ztelog.enable

- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs

- adb shell rm -r /data/local/rwsystag

Now the phone is rooted, and you are ready to install the Superuser app from the Market.

HowTo change the Bootlogo and sound on a ZTE-Z990

This requires root access.

Get this package, unpack to your phone's sdcard.

The animation is removed, only a still AT&T logo is displayed. In addition, the annoying noise is replaced by a blank mp3 file.

Now use root explorer to copy the Bootsound.mp3 and bootanimation.zip to the below locations.

/system/media/audio/ui/Bootsound.mp3

/system/media/bootanimation.zip

Thanks

MikeFM

Package mirrors

Flasher tool package

v1.0.0B29 stock firmware package

Root package

Bootlogo package

Edited by jcase

• 4 weeks later...

jcase,

thanks for providing the link to this "original" post - I hadn't seen that before. This referenced post (is that yours? I read it was written by some Cameron Summerson) only touches the rooting process, using codes that are known from previous ZTE phone models. Plus it uses some obvious linux commands to work on the file system :D

I was working on this HowTo for three weeks, experimenting with bits and pieces I found on the web, e.g. translating some russian forum posts, and finding the z990 relevant files to enable the process of unlocking.

I don't think I violated any hacker's copyrights, since I created a new howto document from scratch, documenting the obvious and relevant steps and tools.

You're constructive contribution to this thread is very much appreciated.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

is the att avail the same as a zte blade gen 2 ?? i've ran Mr PigFish and it states that its a blade gen 2. If its a blade or a skate, that would be fantastic due to heaps of community support. Nothing online has confirmed it as a zte blade though

Guest Marlboro Man

This is complete BS. I tried this stuff and it doesn't do what you say. I got the FTM and that's it. Nothing about a "Backup" or any of that other garbage. This thread is useless. We need someone that really knows how to unlock these POS phones.

Edited by Marlboro Man