[ROM] Early Days Test CM9 Build

Guest Fuzzra

hello guys !

I'm closely following this thread, as I ordered a Crescent and would like to have it running with cyanogen.

I see you have various results with gapps, but how do you think it would work without gapps at all ? I'd rather use f-droid repository.

I normally do not install gapps myself as I dont need any of that stuff. If you can find replacements your fine :) I would just install my random .apks through ADB or using a file manager.

Going to flash this ROM today, my phones been sitting switched off for a week got bored messing with my porting.

Edit

---

Seems great so far no reboots. Thanks Titas for "BK SoftHome" suggestion for homekey :)

Edited by MCZQ

Guest Titas

Thanks for your comments on gapps. After re-flashing latest package along with ROM the Calendar now works.. However the wifi icon is still grayed out. Has anyone else got this issue? Any quick fix suggestions welcome!

I replaced Calculator & have added BK SoftHome which sits in notification bar & works fine as a stand in Home softkey. I gonna be running this for a while but I really need that camera working too so I hope we can make use of the fix tilal found for the Skate.

PsYcH - my system ROM is 209Mb (I've never re-partitioned) & 3.78Mb of that is free - a bit tight or maybe just efficient - but anyway it fits!

Edited by Titas

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I've got the weird wireless icon too, it's like a grey arc and an up and down arrow in black overlaid on top.

adroc, I'd gues you'll be fine but it depends how many apps you're going to install, if it's more than a couple then I would use Amphoras's new TPT.

Guest Titas

I've got the weird wireless icon too, it's like a grey arc and an up and down arrow in black overlaid on top.

adroc, I'd gues you'll be fine but it depends how many apps you're going to install, if it's more than a couple then I would use Amphoras's new TPT.

Yeah; that the same icon issue. A common issue apparently due to a bad connection to Google server - Strange cos I can connect, download to all. Widely reported but no fix that I've found yet.

The System ROM space is tight but OK as long as system apps are not expanded or added. If it became an issue I could TPT or alternatively convert some system apps to user apps (Titanium can do that) & move them. Internal data space is 170Mb with 63 Mb of that free - no A2SD on this so I would use Link2SD & create more space that way but it's not needed yet

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Yeah; that the same icon issue. A common issue apparently due to a bad connection to Google server - Strange cos I can connect, download to all. Widely reported but no fix that I've found yet.

Yeah it made me very nervous at first cos my allowance for internet on Orange is only 100MB a month, cos I've got the Crescent on basic contract so when it started downloading apps automatically I freaked lol, quickly got it on the wireless though although the lack of a proper icon was very worrying too.

Fuzzra, I noticed Tilal has another build imminent, will you be converting it? Just asking cos it seems he's made progress on the battery usage (dunno if he's managed to add SmartAssV2 or something, that would be cool) and camera, the camera now works but gives no preview on screen yet, although apparently he has ideas on that too.

Just a heads up for folks, I was having problems with SetCPU freezing/crashing on the rom so I tried Antutu CPU Master (Free version here to try out) and it seems to work better for me, when the screen goes off it seems to be underclocking correctly, going to see how the battery usage overnight is.

Again, many thanks to both you and Tilal for all your hard work, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we really appreciate you giving your time for us.

Guest Titas

I echo PsYcHo's appreciation. - huge thanks to all. The ROM is already pretty stable & is clearly the way forward. I really want to be able to use this as my day to day ROM but it's not quite good enough yet. With your continuing effort we will eventually (soon I hope) have a great ROM. I'm looking fwd to the next release esp. since I picked up Camera Zoom FX in the sale.

Thanks for your tip on Antutu CPU Master. Also I know no frills CPU https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.sineo.android.noFrillsCPU&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIml0LnNpbmVvLmFuZHJvaWQubm9GcmlsbHNDUFUiXQ.. is favoured by many.

In case of related issues it could be worth using 245 Mhz as min setting as I believe the CPU can sometimes struggle to kick in from 122.

Its quite fine for daily usage as long as you understand no camera and some stock apps may be broken. This ROM has been extremely stable for me in my testing not one freeze or reboot.

I really feel like the "ondemand" CPU setting is the wrong way to go, it always feels laggy to me when I am typing. I look forward to the return of some of the others. In the meantime, I selected Performance and set max CPU to 4xxmhz which is more than enough for my needs (calls texts).

Just had 2days from my battery (granted no wifi or mobile data) and no crashes. Extremely pleased with that :)

People who are expecting a "100% perfect ROM" should have bought a device with ICS on it! That being said given time we will get extremely close :)

Edit:

Thanks for everyones hard work etc :D

Edited by MCZQ

Guest adroc

Well , I have it up and running since yesterday, so far it seems to work great , excepted for the known issues with camera and calculator.

Gallery doesn't work for me either - I think I read somewhere it may be because of wrong partitioning size ? I have the stock layout.

The interface has a very smooth and fast feeling ! I will keep using it, and report if I notice anything going bad.

Thank you , all, for the great information and support :)

Edited by adroc

Guest adroc

Just wanted to report that I had a little issue with international roaming. There is a warning about this in the first post of this thread, not sure if it applies. I live near the france-spain border, and yesterday I went to that city the other side. I had set "national roaming only" to avoid data connections when I am in spain, but today I notice they charged me a few cents for 49ko data. Maybe I forgot some setting somewhere, not sure what it could be - Or there is actually a glitch here. I am not sure how to reproduce it, and not sure I want to ( this time it was 0.23 € , so that is fine , but I really don't want to play with my bill ! )

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Well , I have it up and running since yesterday, so far it seems to work great , excepted for the known issues with camera and calculator.

Gallery doesn't work for me either - I think I read somewhere it may be because of wrong partitioning size ? I have the stock layout.

The interface has a very smooth and fast feeling ! I will keep using it, and report if I notice anything going bad.

Thank you , all, for the great information and support :)

I would recommend installing quickpic instead of trying the stock gallery, I use it on gingerbread too as it's much quicker (hence the name :P )

Also thought I would point out this launcher for you guys :

Apex Launcher

I like it a lot more than Trebuchet, I think it's smoother, has lots of transitions, lots more tweaks, you can also totally resize any widget, my favourite feature though is being able to change shortcut icons on the screen and on the dock. :)

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Fuzzra!!

Tilal has released a nice new version of the CM9 test, any chance of porting it? It's now got a working camera, with fully working preview, working gallery and working calculator. Sounds like it's near to completion :)

Guest Dazzozo

I've been compiling a bit of a bodged ROM from source using Fuzzra's repos for device configs, and everything seems a lot smoother now, including no random crashes. There's a massive difference between the most recent ROM (this one) and what's available as source, and I think we're due for a new build. Some progress is being made somewhere. ;)

Edit:

Oh what the hell! Releasing what I have. http://www.mediafire...zq1e416nrkc6x5j (w/ OSFII kernel)

If you're after a Vivacity kernel, use the one in the OP.

This is nothing more than a more recent build of Fuzzra's work (on newer CM9) with a few (very minor) changes, which is in turn the work of tilal6991.

Camera and Calculator still do not work. You can grab a separate gapps zip or use GooManager (and I'm now just repeating the OP).

Admittedly had a few problems with the RIL libraries not doing their job (meaning no actual phone features), but I fixed this by just stealing the ones out of Fuzzra's release. :unsure:

Disclaimer: Backup your current ROM, I am completely new to Android ROM baking and this is the result of me hacking away at things over a weekend, but I've been using earlier builds over the weekend and it seems to run spot on. No crashes, and everything seems to be a lot snappier. With previous ROMs I've always had to fall back to GB because of some issue, but I think I'm sticking with ICS from now on.

I have no plans to support this, but if I fix anything or build against newer CM9 again with noticeable changes, I'll post a build.

tl;dr: try it out and see for yourself.

PS: Should I create a separate thread for this? :blink:

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Thanks for all the work you're putting into porting CM9 to our devices- just wondering when a fully working, stable rom suitable for everyday use will be released?

Thank you

Guest Dazzozo

When things are fully working and stable. ;)

Backup, try it out and see if it's suitable for you - if not, go ahead and restore. I've deemed it suitable for my daily use, but people have different needs.

Guest Dazzozo

Runs a little better, at least for me. Not sure how, but. If anything, it's more recent CM9. Nothing that exciting. 

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

You shoulda rebuilt from Tilal's sources, apparently he's got the calculator, gallery and the camera fully working on the Skate.

22/03/2012:

Use hw libs from Tom G's Alpha 7

Should have fixed gallery and calculator

Fixed preview in camera! - full credit to Tom G

Fixed notification LEDAdded proximity calibration

...but thanks for keeping us updated with the latest builds :)

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Dazzozo

You shoulda rebuilt from Tilal's sources, apparently he's got the calculator, gallery and the camera fully working on the Skate.

...but thanks for keeping us updated with the latest builds :)

He doesn't seem to have those sources anywhere. Just the device config, and I can't see anything being in that. If you can dig up anything I'll have a go at building it. 

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest tilal6991

The fixes apparently haven't solved it for everyone. The one confirmed thing is camera though. And thats in the Zte common repo of the organisation ColdFusionX.

Guest Dazzozo

The fixes apparently haven't solved it for everyone. The one confirmed thing is camera though. And thats in the Zte common repo of the organisation ColdFusionX.

Pretty sure I'm building with them already then. I'll try pushing the libs just to be sure (I'm assuming it's just the libs).

Edit: No dice. I have no clue what's causing the camera issue.

Edit 2: For what it's worth, I got A2SD scripts up and running (with a few sd-ext mounting issues along the way, now fixed). I can put out a ROM with this if it's desired. Installing the Darktremor scripts via recovery seems a no-go - as far as I'm aware it requires CWM 3 because of the old update-script format. Fudging it like I spent today doing seems to be the only way, but I'm pretty sure I could get this done as a ROM.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest domenico lamberti

this is a great ROM guys, both Fuzzra's Build and Dazzozo's, i must say once you have got ICS its hard to go back to gingerbread even if it is a great ROM like FnC , but a few bugs on Fuzzra's, lockups,alot of them, doing seeming meanless this like scrolling in the messages application, not OC'd , and transition and window animations are turned to 0x , and a bug on most ICS ROM's Calculator and Gallery need to be opened whilst it is upside down to open properly otherwise they just display black, hope i helped guys

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

ARM6 Qualcomm Adreno binaries for ICS have been released. Grab them from http://www.mediafire...c3j7skgbzr4kd68

WOW!! Are these legit? i.e. released by Qualcomm themselves or are they some kind of port of the released Arm7 binaries?

In other news, for the love of god, please someone released an update with these :)

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa