[ROM] Styx (CM6; updated 2012 05 25)

Guest twrock

Guest desalesouche

Hmm, I've never thought about re-odexing the rom. I suppose I could, but I haven't even looked into it. It makes it hard to work on it later, so I never was motivated to do it.

What do you think the advantages will be?

As for updating, I've been using the latest build of this rom since the day I released it. I have made no other build.prop modifications, and the only change to performance I have made is to bump up the CPU frequency to 614 with SetCUP (which anyone can do as well). It just runs solid for me, and does everything I want it to do.

So if I updated it, it would only be to update individual apps in /system/apps. But using programs like Titanium Backup, I can easily update those apps anyway. So in the end, I just can't come up with a really good reason to update this ROM.

Now if there was a way to work on CM7 and get it to work as well as this one does for me, that would be of much greater interest to me. But, alas, I don't have the skills to do that kind of work.

Off topic: I actually ordered my next phone online. I decided to get the ZTE V970. For the online price (less than US$200), the specs are amazing! It was reviewed by Paul here at MoDaCo, if you are interested. There is at least one community produced ROM, and I messed around with the stock rom myself to see if it would be easy to mod. It is. However, because of the chip base, it can never have a CM rom. Bummer

But then, after waiting a couple of days, I decided to check on my order. It was canceled! I couldn't believe it. They had some kind of concern about my credit card payment. Crazy. So I decided to drop it, and wait until I get back to Taiwan to buy my next phone. Who knows what else will be available by then. So it looks like I'm sticking around for at least six more weeks. ;)

here is some answer about odexing or deodexing... http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-tv-2/pro-tip-number-5-why-you-should-odex-and-deodex-xda-tv/

i manage to reodex easily onyx and cm7 with that reodexer zip (use it via cwm , wipe dalvik cache twice and reboot...)but it seems that it is not doing his job correctly ...not enough more free ram

and about cm7 i might give you a reason to test my last work, and may be to work a little on it before switching to new device...and may be you can give a last supreme cm7 to those who still use that phone(everything is assembled from various rom and i use many tweaks but the result is good...will upload it tonite i think...just some more to finish...antutu benchmark give me a 1148 and even more...

but i think i would need your advice to improve it...you always have good advice... ^_^

ps.hereis the odex.zip http://www.mediafire.com/?105wnp8saysklyw

Edited by desalesouche

here is some answer about odexing or deodexing... http://www.xda-devel...-deodex-xda-tv/

i manage to reodex easily onyx and cm7 with that reodexer zip (use it via cwm , wipe dalvik cache twice and reboot...)but it seems that it is not doing his job correctly ...not enough more free ram

and about cm7 i might give you a reason to test my last work, and may be to work a little on it before switching to new device...and may be you can give a last supreme cm7 to those who still use that phone(everything is assembled from various rom and i use many tweaks but the result is good...will upload it tonite i think...just some more to finish...antutu benchmark give me a 1148 and even more...

but i think i would need your advice to improve it...you always have good advice... ^_^

ps.hereis the odex.zip http://www.mediafire...105wnp8saysklyw

A better CM7 sounds great! But remember, I've never been happy with just having the fastest possible phone. It needs really good battery life to make me happy. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest YORK1233

Im new to the pulse scene , just as it seems to be dying :( lol

ive tried your rom as it is up to date but once booted there is only a small chance the touch screen will work

also the usb mass storage in the recovery and in the rom does not work once ive installed the rom

so to flash back to 2.1 stock i had to use a card reader

Ive tried the flb mod and it seems to be the best but i cannot seem to find apps e.g youtube , have they been discontinued?

whats the best rom do you think twrock? i would give yours a try but i need mass storage and the touch is unreliable as i have to boot 5 times in order for it to work.

Im new to the pulse scene , just as it seems to be dying :( lol

ive tried your rom as it is up to date but once booted there is only a small chance the touch screen will work

also the usb mass storage in the recovery and in the rom does not work once ive installed the rom

so to flash back to 2.1 stock i had to use a card reader

Ive tried the flb mod and it seems to be the best but i cannot seem to find apps e.g youtube , have they been discontinued?

whats the best rom do you think twrock? i would give yours a try but i need mass storage and the touch is unreliable as i have to boot 5 times in order for it to work.

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble with this rom. This is the rom I personally use, and it has been downloaded by literally thousands of people who were able to get it to work, so I am sure you can too.

But, this is important, you must read carefully all the installation instructions and follow them precisely. Anything you do that is different from the installation instructions can result in a lot of problems.

Go back to the first post in this thread and start reading again at the big red heading "Pre-installation requirements". If you have not done all of those requirements as they are explained, then do not try to install this rom. Only after you are sure your phone fulfills all the pre-installation requirements, then you can proceed to follow the installation instructions below those. Again, please don't think you can skip the requirements or any of the steps. They are necessary.

After you get the rom installed correctly, make sure to look at post #2 for more instructions on how to set up the rom.

The problem with FTB is that more and more apps require that you have Android 2.2 or higher. FTB is 2.1.

Good luck.

Edited by twrock

Guest YORK1233

thanks alot twrock you give fast responses:) i resolved the mass storage problem by going into recovery and mounting the sd card

the touch screen ,another person mentioned the same probelm but i can live with it

it is a very fast rom thanks alot

also i read that you will get a new phone soon , are you going to keep developing the pulse ?

i dont think youd get much if you sold it now lol

also i read that you will get a new phone soon , are you going to keep developing the pulse ?

i dont think youd get much if you sold it now lol

No, I won't even try to sell my Pulse. It isn't worth enough to bother. I will give it to my wife if she wants it, or I will just save it as a backup.

I haven't been doing any rom modding since May of this year on this phone. This rom is very stable (in my opinion), and the only thing I would do is update the apps. But this can be done by the user with some app like Titanium Backup, so I don't even need to do that.

I wish there was a better CM7, but I haven't been able to get the Onyx mod (CM7) to even work as well as this Styx rom. I am not really a developer, so I can't do the really useful coding/development to make the necessary improvements. So I think my work on the Pulse is done.

Enjoy.

Guest desalesouche

No, I won't even try to sell my Pulse. It isn't worth enough to bother. I will give it to my wife if she wants it, or I will just save it as a backup.

I haven't been doing any rom modding since May of this year on this phone. This rom is very stable (in my opinion), and the only thing I would do is update the apps. But this can be done by the user with some app like Titanium Backup, so I don't even need to do that.

I wish there was a better CM7, but I haven't been able to get the Onyx mod (CM7) to even work as well as this Styx rom. I am not really a developer, so I can't do the really useful coding/development to make the necessary improvements. So I think my work on the Pulse is done.

Enjoy.

hi...try that one i've done recently...what do you think about that one? no beats , no dolby just tried to make it smooth and good as your styx rom...can you check and tell me what you think?

regards....

Guest YORK1233

Hey styx the rom is going good very fast and running smoothly , just to clarify ,the cyanogenmod settings for allowing movement of applications doesnt matter right? im running a2sd

if i move an app to the sd card through the manage applications menu it has no affect on the available space on sd card and phone storage

so im guessing not

side note- im also running setcpu how how can you guys get stable

Hey styx the rom is going good very fast and running smoothly , just to clarify ,the cyanogenmod settings for allowing movement of applications doesnt matter right? im running a2sd

if i move an app to the sd card through the manage applications menu it has no affect on the available space on sd card and phone storage

so im guessing not

side note- im also running setcpu how how can you guys get stable

If you formatted your SD card properly and then installed DT A2SD correctly, then no, you should not use the CM built-in Apps2SD. With DT A2sd, the apps should all be automatically going to SD, including widgets. You might want to also set cachesd if you start to run out of space.

I have SetCPU installed. However, I don't actually use it because I prefer battery savings. When I have used it, I simply use the first tab and set the max CPU speed to something higher than 528. Note: if you set it too high, your phone might crash. My phone can not handle anything higher than 614mhz, or it becomes unstable. Some people report they can go to 710 without a problem.

i can't install arabic_support (error!!)

Sorry, but you have not given enough information for me to be able to help you.

Please identify exactly what you have done, telling us all of the steps you have taken. Be sure to include information about what rom and what Arabic patch you are using.

Also, you can refer to the Arabic support thread:

And this post, in which I talk about installing the Arabic patch for this rom (Styx) to confirm it worked: page__st__20#entry1927304

• 4 weeks later...
Guest YORK1233

Hey twrock the rom has been doing well so far i just have small problems

ive found users on this forum boasting about having 100 apps running on their pulses i had 20 and it ran out of space and became unusable e.g- i couldn't receive messages . is there something im doing wrong? did i configure apps2sd properly?

Also the web browsing experience on this phone honestly sucks. the browsers all lag constantly and if i switch programs the webpages are not stored in memory . so i have to start over.(which is a pain when i have multiple windows open)

the only browser that is runs smooth and fast is opera mini but it fc's alot

im about to wipe and start from beginning again and configure everything properly

which may help the storage problem. but is there anyway to fix the slow browsing? its putting me off buying data for the phone as it would go to waste.

edit - also touchpal is quite slow , is there a reason why most roms use it above stock android?> how can i install stock android keyboard back ? as i think its been removed from styx?

Edited by YORK1233

Guest theprincemoh

ive found users on this forum boasting about having 100 apps running on their pulses i had 20 and it ran out of space and became unusable e.g- i couldn't receive messages . is there something im doing wrong? did i configure apps2sd properly?

Also the web browsing experience on this phone honestly sucks. the browsers all lag constantly and if i switch programs the webpages are not stored in memory . so i have to start over.(which is a pain when i have multiple windows open)

the only browser that is runs smooth and fast is opera mini but it fc's alot

im about to wipe and start from beginning again and configure everything properly

which may help the storage problem. but is there anyway to fix the slow browsing? its putting me off buying data for the phone as it would go to waste.

edit - also touchpal is quite slow , is there a reason why most roms use it above stock android?> how can i install stock android keyboard back ? as i think its been removed from styx?

look

u should install app2SD correct

so do what i say

first remove every thing and then format system (from recovery)

now do steps on this topic with installing app2sd correctly

now u have enough space for apps and good performance with even the browser (it's very good for me)

if u need a better keyboard

try using A.i type keyboard

the best launcher for me is launcher pro ( make the drawer 3D and check high quality) it will be very fast

for the best weather widget use go weather

:D

Guest twrock

Yep, sounds like you didn't get A2SD installed correctly or didn't have a correct ext2 partition and swap partition on your SD card.

As theprincemoh said, go back to the first post in this thread, and follow all "Pre-installation requirements". Read everything I wrote in the first and second posts, and make sure you understand and do all of it.

Also, to gain even more space, make sure you use the "a2sd cachesd" command as well, or your internal memory will be full of cache files quickly.

Good luck.

Edited by twrock

The wifi turns off a little bit after the phone going idle. Any way to fix that? I needed the wifi to stay on even if I am not using the cellphone.

Go to Settings/Wireless & networks/Wi-Fi settings, then click Menu button, then choose Advanced, then Wi-Fi sleep policy.

This will effect your battery usage.

• 4 months later...