[MOD] A-GPS Patch

Guest CoaBalboa

Guest CoaBalboa

Hi guys. I'm new to this community, so I wanted to do something for the community. :D

So, am presenting you a little A-Gps mod / patch for faster satellite acquiring. I think you all familiar with this mod, but no one did put it on a ROM or a single patch, so let me be the first guy to do this. (my excuse to all of You if I'm ain't the first)

It's a simple installation ZIP archive for your Clockwork Mod recovery , Boot, install, enjoy (You all now that ;), right). You could do a backup, just in case. You never know....

DOWNLOAD

Please put some comments if it's working? I'm using a iGO ver.8.4.2.139242 and in open space (outside) acquire gps signal in 2 seconds, in close space (house) in 6-8 seconds.

Don't forget to say thanks! ;)

Greeting from Serbia!

Guest PejotA

Congratulations on the work my friend.

My feedback is positive.

Use iGO to time and your patch helped to find the satellite really well faster than normal.

I'm using the Rom SplashMod V3. Hugs and thank you!

:D:D:D

Guest Wacky.ddw

Please put some comments if it's working? I'm using a iGO ver.8.4.2.139242 and in open space (outside) acquire gps signal in 2 seconds, in close space (house) in 6-8 seconds.

Thank you very mutch :D I use IGO for i while now on my bicycle, but the thing with it is that it was waaaay to slow. Everytime i put my phone in my pocket the signal gets lost. I havent bine outside, but normally it wouldnt even find signal when im inside it took 3 sec now so i can confirm it is really working. I will post my outcome when i used it outside some more :)

I have a question about IGO tough, when i use google maps when im connected to wifi then turn of wifi and follow the route with GPS on it refreshes instantly and it says to turn left/right when im 5meters from where i need to turn, but IGO doesnt do that, is there an option to turn it on?

So i can confirm it works on LogicMod R3

Guest CoaBalboa

Does it work on CM7 IA3?

I'm apprehensive about CM roms

I'm using Ice Armor 3 and works like a charm. In fact, this is only ROM I've tested this patch.

Guest RaTToX

Hey, that sounds great!

I often use "MEDION GoPal". So I'm going to test it on CM9 with iGo and MEDION GoPal!

But one Question: How to backup my original GPS-Data? Or will it be stock after flash a new ROM?

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Thanks for the patch. By applying it I think Google maps located quicker on my phone.

As to the Network Time Protocol Server part, It's better for UK users to use following setting:

NTP_SERVER=uk.pool.ntp.org

People from other countries can find NTP server in your own country.

Guest RaTToX

Thanks for the patch. By applying it I think Google maps located quicker on my phone.

As to the Network Time Protocol Server part, It's better for UK users to use following setting:

So, im from Germany; It is recommended to change this to:
NTP_SERVER=de.pool.ntp.org

Will there be a better performance?

Guest xiaoyaoswim

So, im from Germany; It is recommended to change this to:

NTP_SERVER=de.pool.ntp.org

Will there be a better performance?

Yes. You could use PING to check the latency from different servers

Normally severs in your own country give you lowest latency i.e. fastest connection speed.

Guest dreamfox

Yes. You could use PING to check the latency from different servers

Normally severs in your own country give you lowest latency i.e. fastest connection speed.

What if I , from Belgium am visiting my friend in Germany, while he's at my place? Which one should I or he has to take then ? or with other words, does it count for people that travel as well that it's the best from your own country?

Nice to say everybody knows how to install, but I'm very new at this, so just a few lines would still help me.

Question also as somebody else: I suppose some files are replaced. is there a bu of these file performed, if not, which are the ones that are beeing modified?

Would be glad to test it in a non-urban area...

Thanks

Guest Wacky.ddw

I am allso from belgium, it works great with IGO this is the best thing that happend so far :P i am way happier with this then 480p video recording or flashlight...

Now i dont have to wait 1min for my GPS to finally find where i am. Ive tested it serval of times inside and outside, when im outside it finds signal allmost emmidiately. Normally when i put my phone in my pocket the signal goes away and when i want to know where i am again i have to wait half a minute to 1min. Now when i pull it out of my pocket it allready knows where i am.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

What if I , from Belgium am visiting my friend in Germany, while he's at my place? Which one should I or he has to take then ? or with other words, does it count for people that travel as well that it's the best from your own country?

Nice to say everybody knows how to install, but I'm very new at this, so just a few lines would still help me.

Question also as somebody else: I suppose some files are replaced. is there a bu of these file performed, if not, which are the ones that are beeing modified?

Would be glad to test it in a non-urban area...

Thanks

Normally a server is fast for you to access if it's geographically near your current position.

OP has already mentioned that this zip can be installed in ClockworkMod Recovery .

Guest RaTToX

Just tested it with CM9 and the "NTP_SERVER=de.pool.ntp.org" : Does not work (on my phone). [Tested while driving with car]

Then i tested it with standart file [@ home, outside]: Works! Inside it get no signal. But i will flash it again now!

Guest bennypo

thanks for the tip

the patch had no effect as far as i can tell

but maybe now after editing NTP to my country it will help

thanks for the tip

the patch had no effect as far as i can tell

but maybe now after editing NTP to my country it will help

This is part of reason why I was enquiring as to what the patch does in a previous post... most advice I have read on GPS speedup seems to be about adding something like:

server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 2.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 3.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org

server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org

server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org

server 3.uk.pool.ntp.org

to /etc/gps.config - obviously with appropriate region and country codes.

I am curious if the patch adds a fixed set of codes (and if so what? - can anyone who has run the patch check?) - or are the codes added in some smart way that determines region automatically? Or does it replace the whole file?

I think also apps such as GPS Status may overwrite the gps.config file (via Manage A-GPS State option) so probably not a good idea to use both?

Guest crnadakm

Hi guys. I'm new to this community, so I wanted to do something for the community. :D

So, am presenting you a little A-Gps mod / patch for faster satellite acquiring. I think you all familiar with this mod, but no one did put it on a ROM or a single patch, so let me be the first guy to do this. (my excuse to all of You if I'm ain't the first)

It's a simple installation ZIP archive for your Clockwork Mod recovery , Boot, install, enjoy (You all now that ;), right). You could do a backup, just in case. You never know....

DOWNLOAD

Don't forget to say thanks! ;)

Greeting from Serbia!

Is this safe? I've done similar to my blade and had to backup rom because GPS stopped working :D

BTW: Hvala drugar

Guest RaTToX

server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 2.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 3.europe.pool.ntp.org

server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org

server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org

server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org

server 3.uk.pool.ntp.org

Is it possible to change ALL the values to "de.pook.ntp.org" ? Or what whill happend if i change them? Nothing? Better performance? Errors?

Is it possible to change ALL the values to "de.pook.ntp.org" ? Or what whill happend if i change them? Nothing? Better performance? Errors?

Don't know - I would say why not try editing the file and try, but... I have tried editing the file via root browser and I can't save changes. I don't know why - tried adding file permissions to original rw-r--r-- but that didn't help.

Anyone able to suggest why I would not be able to save edits on this file?

Also still would be interested to know what the OP's patch does to /etc/gps.conf?