A little help for a noob?

Guest jasonleeds

Guest jasonleeds

Hey guys n gals.

Been here with you crescent people for a while, having a little trouble getting started with the ZTE editing.

Now ive got the cygwin sorted with dsixda kitchen, notepad ++ and a ubuntu virtual box set up, although not used yet.

Ive been playing with the build.prop and update-script...but to be honest im not sure as to the main things to be looking for.

If anyone has a few tips or things to read it would really help

Got some free time to kill rolleyes.gif

Guest raverrr

download a stock rom. and have a play with cygwin :). it pretty much explains itself lol. Or if you have a lot of time to waste stary looking into compiling from source.

Guest jasonleeds

cheers, ill have another go playing with stock

What are the main areas to be playing with and what to avoid??

would it be best to get going in linux rather than windows or can cygwin do most things?

sorry if this is really remedial, just finding it hard wading through google looking for a good tutorial/guide.

Guest raverrr

it depends if you just want to modify stock roms like me or go the full hog and compile from source. have you got cygwin set up? and the kitchen working?

Guest jasonleeds

yea got cygwin & dsixda kitchen set up and running.

mainly my plan was to modify a stock rom, add and remove some apks and have a tinker.

compiling from source seems outta my range for now.

thanks for you help, really appreciate it.

Guest jasonleeds

really getting somewhere now, got my rom to boot with new animation and a bit of the bloatware removed, and root added.

Where should I be looking to remove the crappy orange launcher and replacing it? is this solely in the framework.apk?

Thanks again for anyones help.

Guest jasonleeds

cheers dude.

Well ive almost got done what I want.framwork/launcher/bloatware etc.

Couple of things bugging me though now.

The first is a pain, all of a sudden the wifi will not obtain an IP...works fine on all other roms, I broke it somehow

Second is that crappy orange internet shortcut thing....where the hell does it live? I cant find the little bugger.

Will probably post this up once I can get the wifi working again....any ideas?

Guest raverrr

cheers dude.

Well ive almost got done what I want.framwork/launcher/bloatware etc.

Couple of things bugging me though now.

The first is a pain, all of a sudden the wifi will not obtain an IP...works fine on all other roms, I broke it somehow

Second is that crappy orange internet shortcut thing....where the hell does it live? I cant find the little bugger.

Will probably post this up once I can get the wifi working again....any ideas?

If the "orange thing" is some kind of widget it will more then likely be in system/app.

Compare folders with fish and chips for example to get a better idea of what should be left over after :)

Wifi problem could be any number of things you may or may not have done.

Guest jasonleeds

its the orange "internet" browser link its bugging me but im gunna try something today.

The wifi is still puzzling the hell outta me though, as far as im aware I havent done anything to the wifi.

This is somewhat strangely addictive though, so Ill keep at it.

Mite pop something up later today see what people think get some feedback

Guest Dazzozo

its the orange "internet" browser link its bugging me but im gunna try something today.

The wifi is still puzzling the hell outta me though, as far as im aware I havent done anything to the wifi.

This is somewhat strangely addictive though, so Ill keep at it.

Mite pop something up later today see what people think get some feedback

Regarding Wi-Fi, try poking around a bit with ADB. Turn USB debugging on, run "adb logcat" and see what you get when you turn Wi-Fi on. "adb shell dmesg" could also be worth a try.

Guest jasonleeds

yea, never even thought of that.

< Dumb

ill have a poke about, with adb, it all seems good up until it tries to get an IP from the router.

Cheers

Guest Dazzozo

yea, never even thought of that.

< Dumb

ill have a poke about, with adb, it all seems good up until it tries to get an IP from the router.

Cheers

If it's actually doing a network scan it can't be as bad as the CM9 issues. :P

Guest jasonleeds

If it's actually doing a network scan it can't be as bad as the CM9 issues. :P

I very much doubt it, its probably something really simple ive overlooked.

Ill find out more once I get on the logs