How to root your Huawei Ascend G300 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

If you've been following my antics with the G300, you'll have seen that i've found a couple of security holes and a working root exploit. I've been able to use these to extract the stock images from the device and to build a modified recovery image to flash via fastboot, which means disclosure of the other root method isn't necessary. Which is good, it might be needed later.

Strangely, 'fastboot boot' doesn't work on the G300 so the usual superboot approach won't work, so i've created a 'SuperRecovery'. This is a stock recovery image with 2 changes - firstly the ADB access is upgraded to root, secondly the recovery will automatically install Superuser / SU on start (in the same way as a superboot). This means it will give you root while maintaining compatability with stock upgrades applied via the stock recovery.

Download and instructions can be found below!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• SuperRecovery r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 76a8fe61badc3a27fbfde4427ffad965

How to use SuperRecovery - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the SuperRecovery zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - turn off the phone, pull the battery and USB cable, wait a few seconds, replace the battery then turn on with the 'volume DOWN' button pressed to enter the bootloader. The device will stay at the Huawei logo.

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superrecovery-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superrecovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-superrecovery-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superrecovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-superrecovery-linux.sh'

- When prompted, put your device in recovery mode - turn off the phone, pull the battery and USB cable, wait a few seconds, replace the battery then turn on with the 'volume UP' button pressed to enter recovery. When recovery has loaded, you are rooted! Select the reboot option using the power button and you're done!

Enjoy! ;)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

Guest skull_fcuk

Damn you for making this phone even more attractive! This is good for those of us who like Titanium back up, and other Root level apps.

Guest leemann

All rooted. Followed instructions and worked like a charm!

Many thanks for allowing me to have control over my own device. Changed the font and removed some crapware. Feel much better now.

Thanks Paul for making this available so quickly.

Guest PaulOBrien

All rooted. Followed instructions and worked like a charm!

Many thanks for allowing me to have control over my own device. Changed the font and removed some crapware. Feel much better now.

Thanks Paul for making this available so quickly.

HTH! :D

P

Guest goodfella123

I'm saving downloaded file to pc is that right.

I'm getting lost as to when usb cable should be inserted/ removed.

I just get waiting for device from .bat file.

Guest putbinoot

I'm saving downloaded file to pc is that right.

I'm getting lost as to when usb cable should be inserted/ removed.

I just get waiting for device from .bat file.

Mine took two attempts but this is what i done.

phone off

pull usb cable

pull battery

wait few seconds

install battery

holding down "volume down" turn phone on, phone vibrates let buttons go.

Huawei logo should be on screen if yes insert usb cable.

windows detects phone and installs drivers (or something I am no expert). lol can you tell.

double click the bat file and a command windows appears and magic happens and the command window disappears.

I got no prompt about going into recovery mode, it may have been in the command window but it disappeared to fast. once the command window disappeared i done the following.

Pulled the battery

pulled the usb cable

waited a few seconds

installed battery

hold down "volume up" and turned phone on, once phone vibrates let buttons go.

you should be at the recovery screen ( i was not the first time)

reboot device should already be highlighted

press power button to select reboot

phone reboots and look in app drawer for SU

and that should be you.

hope this helps.

Guest goodfella123

I think the problem is that i'm on win xp.

It won't detect the phone when its in bootloader mode, only when i manually turn on usb storage from a normal boot.

Any ideas?

Edited by goodfella123

Guest putbinoot

I think the problem is that i'm on win xp.

It won't detect the phone when its in bootloader mode, only when i manually turn on usb storage from a normal boot.

Any ideas?

it's a driver issue there may be a post on the zte skate forum about how to install the drivers for android in winxp

Guest goodfella123

Thanks.

With my Orange San Francisco i seem to remember avoiding the pc and .bat method due to that same problem.

In the end i followed a guide which could be done entirely from the phone using wifi.

Guest empollon

Hi Paul. Just a couple of quick questions:

1. If I root the phone, do I still need to unblock it?

2. Does the ROM you provided include more than the standard European languages? Specifically Arabic? I say this because I want to buy the G300 as a present for an Arab friend.

Thanks

Guest putbinoot

Hi Paul. Just a couple of quick questions:

1. If I root the phone, do I still need to unblock it?

2. Does the ROM you provided include more than the standard European languages? Specifically Arabic? I say this because I want to buy the G300 as a present for an Arab friend.

Thanks

1 you still need to unlock , currently costs 7.50.

2 he is not providing any rom.

Guest feckineejit

Does doing this allow me to run adb, as i've rooted it, and have the superuser icon in app drawer but cant get any info in adb, it just says

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Willie>cd C:\android\platform-tools

C:\android\platform-tools>adb devices

adb server is out of date. killing...

* daemon started successfully *

List of devices attached

C:\android\platform-tools>adb remount

error: device not found

C:\android\platform-tools>

Am i doing something wrong?

Guest zbvif

Impressively quick work Paul

I am new to Android phones, but will give this a go (when Vodaphone stops cancelling...)

One (newbie) question: Is it easy/possible to un-root the phone (i.e. restore original setup)?

Guest zerosignull

It's you!

P

Yeah just restarted the phone after unistallin Root Uninstaller and unticking fast boot now the phone is showing 334Mb of ram (242 free :))

Edit: Now to figure out why the Launcher has lots of gaps where the unstalled apps used to be ..

Edit 2: Clearing the cache for the Huawei Launcher did the trick

Edit 3: Dont uninstall the "HelpLogin App" app as it required by something and the phone will sit there and constantly crash.

Edited by zerosignull