possible voicemail fix (it works :D)

Guest bumps

Guest bumps

as i posted in an earlier post about not being able to set default o2 voicmail number. the phone is always setting it to tesco mobiles vm number. well i have found a file in the \data\cust\xml\voicemail-conf.xml that lists alot of different networks and their vm numbers, so im thinking if i change tesco's from 905 to 901 it will be sorted. the only problem is when i try to save changes to the file with root explorer is says unable to save changes. any suggestions?

Edited by bumps

Guest putbinoot

as i posted in an earlier post about not being able to set default o2 voicmail number. the phone is always setting it to tesco mobiles vm number. well i have found a file in the \data\cust\xml\voicemail-conf.xml that lists alot of different networks and their vm numbers, so im thinking if i change tesco's from 905 to 901 it will be sorted. the only problem is when i try to save changes to the file with root explorer is says unable to save changes. any suggestions?

I take it you have rooted the phone as per pauls instructions.

Guest putbinoot

how are u giffgaff guys getting on with network settings? is it getting them all right automatically?

Just download giffgaff APN by Paul Shirley from market and get it to do it for you, job done.

Guest leemann

I must be doing something stupid, but I cannot delete that voicemail-conf.xml file. I'm rooted as per Pauls instructions, but I cannot delete the file or change it's permissions. I'm tried the root mode of ES File Explorer, Rom Toolbox's root browser and I attempted it through adb commands. When I do 'adb shell' I get a $ sign. I can type 'su' and I get the #, but still cant change permissions or delete anything in /data/cust/xml

'adb remount' gives me a 'remount failed: Operations not permitted' error. The strange thing is, I've deleted stuff from elsewhere. I removed the UNO trial and Sims 3 trial with no problems.

Any ideas anyone ?

Guest goodfella123

Just download giffgaff APN by Paul Shirley from market and get it to do it for you, job done.

If you haven't got any data to be able to download the giffgaff settings, fear not.

Just type these settings in manually here: settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > network settings > access point names.

GPRS-3G Settings

Connection Name: giffgaff - GPRS

APN - Access Point Name: giffgaff.com

Proxy Server Address: 193.113.200.195

Proxy Port:8080

Login - Username: giffgaff

Password: password

MCC: 234

MNC: 10

MMS Settings

Connection Name: giffgaff - MMS

APN - Access Point Name: giffgaff.com

Username: giffgaff

Password: password

Server: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002

MMSC: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002

MMS proxy: 193.113.200.195

MMS port: 8080

MCC: 234

MNC: 10

APN type: mms

If any settings are missing it means don't change them.

• 1 month later...
Guest eirlysbill1

If it helps anyone who is trying to edit and move that voicemail xml file, I couldn't do it from this location: /data/cust/xml/voicemail-conf.xml

I simply couldn't delete it for nothing.

But there is an identical file in /cust/europe/xml that I could delete and add in the

edited file. Worked sweet as a nut. My proper voicemail number now shows as default. Thanks for the tip Frankish

Edited by eirlysbill1

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Konstipated Kiwi

I am unable to delete voicemail-conf.xml using ES Explorer but there is no 'europe' folder in my 'cust' folder either.

Edit: Ignore me; I was looking in data/cust when in fact the 'cust' folder is in the root directory. There is also a folder named 'normal' between 'cust' and 'europe' on my phone.

Edit 2: Still can't change or delete the file, though. :-(

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest eirlysbill1

yeah, that's it. I must have missed out the normal. Just looked again this is path: /cust/normal/europe/xml then it's the voicemail-conf.xml file that you change.

You have to search through loads of numbers, but for O2 to giffgaff you have to find 901 and then change it to 443, then copy and save the file to the sd card, then delete the old one and copy/paste the changed file back in to the same location.

Regarding not be able to delete, try ticking or unticking USB debugging in the settings menu. I used rom toolbox pro and I believe I needed to tick it to make changes at root level.

Hope that helps. It does work once its done and it stays changed even if you install a new rom

Maybe someone nice person with the appropriate skills could make a CWM flashable zip with modded voicemail-conf.xml file. It might save a lot of hassle for people having to do it via root explorer. ;)

Guest eirlysbill1

That's probably not me sorry. I still have the altered file but I wouldn't know how to make it flashable. I'm sure I could put in a zip file but not sure if that's all that's needed to make it play with Cwm?

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

yeah, that's it. I must have missed out the normal. Just looked again this is path: /cust/normal/europe/xml then it's the voicemail-conf.xml file that you change.

You have to search through loads of numbers, but for O2 to giffgaff you have to find 901 and then change it to 443, then copy and save the file to the sd card, then delete the old one and copy/paste the changed file back in to the same location.

Regarding not be able to delete, try ticking or unticking USB debugging in the settings menu. I used rom toolbox pro and I believe I needed to tick it to make changes at root level.

Hope that helps. It does work once its done and it stays changed even if you install a new rom

Thanks for the update. Ticking/unticking USB debugging didn't make a difference. Think I'll have to purchase Root Explorer pro. Have been using ES File Explorer.

Guest infobleep

I tried with ES File Explorer but didn't get any where. I'll probably have to try Root Explorer Pro but I don't really want to spend £3 on it to find I'm still having problems.

I'm on O2 and there are other numbers besides the voicemail number. Are these stored anywhere in the settings?

When the exclusive period ends for Vodafone, I imagine if O2 sell the phone, there will be O2 settings available. Could someone who buys the phone once it comes out on O2, just create a ROM with the O2 settings. Flashing that would be simpler. Of curse typing in 901 every time isn't exactly difficult.

Edited by infobleep

Guest eirlysbill1

I tried with ES File Explorer but didn't get any where. I'll probably have to try Root Explorer Pro but I don't really want to spend £3 on it to find I'm still having problems.

I'm on O2 and there are other numbers besides the voicemail number. Are these stored anywhere in the settings?

When the exclusive period ends for Vodafone, I imagine if O2 sell the phone, there will be O2 settings available. Could someone who buys the phone once it comes out on O2, just create a ROM with the O2 settings. Flashing that would be simpler. Of curse typing in 901 every time isn't exactly difficult.

That's funny cause my phone had the default number as 901. That's the number I couldn't change with out this fix, cause I needed the giffgaff one.

Guest mutt08

Any idea what the number would be for Virgin Mobiles voicemail?

Guest eirlysbill1

Any idea what the number would be for Virgin Mobiles voicemail?

no sorry, I found the giffgaff on their community forum, because I didn't remember it either. But, I would have thought the company website ought to have it somewhere?

Guest mutt08

no sorry, I found the giffgaff on their community forum, because I didn't remember it either. But, I would have thought the company website ought to have it somewhere?

Thanks for the reply,

Have had a scan through the xml file & Virgin Mobile is not mentioned, when I press & hold the 1 key on the phone I get a text from VM telling me to use +44003********* (the stars being my mobile number) as my direct voicemail number.

Is this the number that I should be editing into the file as the 'vmnumber' & if so what do I write as the 'numeric'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Guest eirlysbill1

Sorry, not an expert but this link has some info: http://www.filesaveas.com/virginmobile.html

I'm guess 222 is the number, judging by that. Not 100% though.

If Virgin isn't listed in the xml file then do you know if they are part of a bigger telcom co. (e.g. giffgaff is owned by O2, so I found 901 listed under O2 and changed it to 443) Also, all I saw in that xml file was 3 digit numbers and no full phone numbers

BTW: 003 is Ireland's country code, so if you're over there it might be a different number. Just to confuse things more :P

Guest mutt08

I'm guess 222 is the number, judging by that. Not 100% though.

Thanks, I tried 222 but that just generates the same text reply that I get when I hold down the '1' key.

Appears that it does require the full number adding.

On the Desire S I just added the number in Settings, Call, Voicemail Settings & it saved it without any problems, shame the G300 is unable to do the same.