possible voicemail fix (it works :D)

Guest bumps

Guest Dan Staines

I am unable to delete voicemail-conf.xml using ES Explorer but there is no 'europe' folder in my 'cust' folder either.

Edit: Ignore me; I was looking in data/cust when in fact the 'cust' folder is in the root directory. There is also a folder named 'normal' between 'cust' and 'europe' on my phone.

Edit 2: Still can't change or delete the file, though. :-(

I struggled with this too - for me the file I wanted to change was /cust/vodafone/gb/xml/voicemail-conf.xml and after a bit of googling found /cust is mounted read-only, so I remounted /cust rw like this (I used adb shell but I guess could be done with terminal emulator):

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 /cust

and then I used adb pull/push to grab the file, edit it and replace it (I guess you could use terminal emulator to use cat to copy it to sdcard, edit it and cat it back or root explorer to copy/edit/paste it but adb was much easier for me)

Hope this helps...

Dan.

• 2 months later...

there is no easier way to do this (than that ADB stuff)? ridiculous

i was going to say can we modify the original rom zip then flash it, but can't find those files in the zip?

Edited by Smiff2

does someone mind explaining for me whose never used ADB, how to do that please? how to remount normally afterwards, or do we just just reboot?

i've installed adb, figured out how to connect etc.

http://linuxo.com/content/install-adb-and-fastboot-android-tools-ubuntu-ppa

now i get

$ mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 /cust

mount: Operation not permitted

any advice please? if i figure this out i'll write it up for others..

update: ok got it:

adb shell

su

mount (command above)

i then used ES file explorer on phone to change permissions on the file and edit file on the phone 'cos i couldnt figure out how to adb push (probably just the file permissions).

in my case i edited the Tesco number from 905 to 443.

whole thing is retarded anyway because we should be able to choose operator or add gg to this list? anyway the word tesco doesnt appear anywhere afaik so its satisfactory.

is there any reason why /cust should not be left mounted rw ?

Edited by Smiff2

Guest wiiman2012

I'm using a unlocked Vodafone UK version of the phone running on O2. It is also rooted and has a full version of ROM Toolbox installed and ES File Explorer.

I edited the file on the phone (starting at the root) /cust/vodafone/gb/xml/voicemail-conf.xml and changed the Tesco number from 905 to 901, rebooted and it works without fault. I didn't have to mess about coping files here to there or changing permissions.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest turnerfromdover

I'm using a unlocked Vodafone UK version of the phone running on O2. It is also rooted and has a full version of ROM Toolbox installed and ES File Explorer.

I edited the file on the phone (starting at the root) /cust/vodafone/gb/xml/voicemail-conf.xml and changed the Tesco number from 905 to 901, rebooted and it works without fault. I didn't have to mess about coping files here to there or changing permissions.

Cheers mate that worked a treat ;) not to try n change vodafone to giff gaff in settings/about phone operator and country info ..any ideas???? ;)

oh and also get a signal from giff gaff as mines still off!!!!grrrr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Projjer

Thanks wiiman2012 !!

Your method worked a treat for me here in Spain.

I am on O2 (not the Tesco VMO) but it still worked OK

Looking through the XML file the only O2 is the German one.

Cheers

Edited by Projjer