Removing preinstalled apps

Guest Ubiquitoustastic

Guest Ubiquitoustastic

Does anyone know how to remove all that vodafone bloatware and game demos? I really do not want to play Sims 3 (demo)!

Guest Ubiquitoustastic

Thanks.

I have got rid of the odvious things like the demos. What other things are safe to be removed? I dont want to unistall something important.

Edited by Ubiquitoustastic

Guest goodfella123

I accidentally removed the stock calendar app thinking it was a vodafone one.

Apparently i can get it back by extracting the relevant calendar apk files from the img file paul provided.

Can anyone provide info / links on how to do this?

I already have the superrecovery folder.

Guest NeostarNeko

I think my previous post on the other thread is more appropriate here :rolleyes:

Just extract them using WinRAR or 7-Zip, then transfer them over to the microSD card on your phone

install Root Explorer and copy them over to the relevant place

Reboot phone and it should work

Guest NeostarNeko

I think your opening the wrong file, it's not the recovery.img it's the system.tar file you need

So go here and download the big system.tar file and then follow my previous post

Guest goodfella123

Managed to do all that, but when i select the apk to install, it just says 'app not installed'.

The only option i get then is 'done'.

I have the 'allow installation of unknown sources' box ticked.

Guest NeostarNeko

Copy them to the system app folder using root explorer and make sure the permissions are set the same as the rest of the apks in that folder. Job done. They wont install normally.

1) Install ES File Explorer or File Expert.

2) Install Remount.

3) Using Remount mount the system/app folder as RW.

4) Copy the missing .apk to System/App using ES File Explorer or File Expert

5) Reboot

:D

Guest goodfella123

Did all that but couldn't view system/app with es file explorer. Using file expert i copied the file but it wouldn't paste!!! Struggling! There must be some reason why the files won't paste or install.

Edited by goodfella123

Guest putbinoot

Did all that but couldn't view system/app with es file explorer. Using file expert i copied the file but it wouldn't paste!!! Struggling! There must be some reason why the files won't paste or install.

In a rush so just a quick thing, the app you are changing the file to RW when you select it are going going into that apps settings and selecting save , so the operation is saved. I forgot to do this modding the OMC and thought I could not change file properties but it was that after changing I was not saving the change as nothing asked me to, you had to know to go into the app and click save.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest Davidoff59

I use rom toolbox for stuff that involves the root of the phone. Its layout Is very easy to navigate and it's free. Its always one of the first apps I download.

Edited by Davidoff59

Guest razzmataz1478

Right, in es explorer, go menu>settings.

Tick root explorer, you'll get a super user pop up, click allow.

Then tick mount system as writable.

Now you'll be able to copy the app into there

Edited by razzmataz1478

Guest feckineejit

i downloaded root explorer and managed to remove google+ and twitter but cant for the life of me find the demos or vodafone stuff on the system/apps folder, can someone direct me to were i can find them so i can delete them/

Guest Davidoff59

data/data app for games.

There is so much bloat in that folder, but going to. leave it there for now incase phone develops a fault.

Edited by Davidoff59

Guest Davidoff59

some of the Vodafone stuff may be needed for future ota updates so be very careful.

I see a mobile protect unsigned apk in there. any idea what it is or what it does? never seen it heard of it before

Edited by Davidoff59

Guest goodfella123

Ok i managed to finally copy and paste the calendar apk file into system/app and it is there at last, widget too.

Thanks to everyone who helped i appreciate it.

Edited by goodfella123

Guest punjabi

Please can someone "list" the apps that can be removed without any harm to the phone...? I'm a little worried now I've read some apps causing problems I wouldn't have imagined.... Please...

Guest Davidoff59

the game trials, facebook, twitter can be safely removed for now. The rest might mess up the ota update in the future.

You could freeze or block permissions for anything you don't use or need.

Guest Davidoff59

Titanium backup could not find the apks so could not remove them with titanium including use the force removal option. Managed with another app.

Removed games, qype, facebook, and TouchPal languages like french, italian,spanish, german.

AlSo books removed.

I presume system rom has now increased. can someone please post what theirs is at with stock rom. mine is at 309 MB now

Edited by Davidoff59