[KERNEL] S series kernel for "all" custom ROMs

Guest C3C0

Guest jtharmor

New update in the first post - S3 for CM7 ROMs with volume boost hack.

Read the first post for more info.

First page has old file or what ?

Guest C3C0

?? First post contains info on 05/06 update. Together with the latest link.

Edit: yeah and it applies only to cm7. There's no new version for CFx.I think Cfx sound is OK and doesn't need any hacks.

Edited by C3C0

Guest utternoob

Would it be possible to create an AOSP kernel similar to this to improve battery life? I get 4-5 hours very heavy usage and 10-12 on light-heavy usage

Guest jtharmor

?? First post contains info on 05/06 update. Together with the latest link.

Edit: yeah and it applies only to cm7. There's no new version for CFx.I think Cfx sound is OK and doesn't need any hacks.

Nopes i dont agree..........CM9 has same sound problems.......its very low compared to stock.............anyways i know how to fix it........ :)n

Following line to be added in sys/bind.prop

ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps=100

Edited by jtharmor

Guest C3C0

This is a setting to set the number of steps of volume for in-call. This means how many times you must press the volume+ button to get from min to Max volume. I haven't tried to set it this high because it makes no sense since it doesn't affect the volume. Well if it does for you then it's either placebo or some bug that makes some kind of overflow resulting in more volume...

Edited by C3C0

Guest C3C0

Thanks.

Well, I am not satisfied at all :) I will continue in investigation to improve it even more. It's that distortion in high volume I don't like.

But anyway I think it's a bit better than it was before.

Regarding music... I'd like to share my DSP settings that work best for me on Koss porta pro headphones with this new kernel.

compression off, bass boost off, equalizer on (rock preset), loudness compensation: strong or strongest - depends on the particular music.

Guest C3C0

No. ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps=100

definitely just sets the number of volume steps to 100. So to get from min volume to max volume you have to press

the Vol+ button 100-times. It doesn't effect the overall level of volume in any way.

Trust me.

Volume+ app uses other methods of boosting sound. It uses the same technique as DSP Manager.

Guest jtharmor

Lol...use app first then give this silly comments. Behave like a developer as you claim to be one.....it clearly takes backup of bind.prop and adds this line ....and this works on cm9 which has painfully low sound....

Tilal has also said he will fix sound in next release....

Guest jtharmor

I think you meant ~/system/build.prop

Yep...in call volume will be far better and no distortion also....when u set volume to max during call....

Add this line at end and reboot once

Edited by jtharmor

Guest C3C0

Lol...use app first then give this silly comments. Behave like a developer as you claim to be one.....it clearly takes backup of bind.prop and adds this line ....and this works on cm9 which has painfully low sound....

Tilal has also said he will fix sound in next release....

I am talking about sound enhacements in CM7. The build.prop tweak in this case is useless. It does what it was designed to and the name of the variable speaks for itself.

CALL_VOL_STEPS... So once again. This defines how many steps of volume adsjustments you have between min and max. Hawgh.

And.. Can you show me where I claimed to be a developer? As far as I know I am treated as an addict if you look to the left.

I am also pretty confident that if you remove this line from build.prop (without uninstalling volume+) you won't notice any difference in sound levels.

Edited by C3C0

Guest C3C0

Would it be possible to create an AOSP kernel similar to this to improve battery life? I get 4-5 hours very heavy usage and 10-12 on light-heavy usage

What system exactly are you thinking of?

Guest jtharmor

I am talking about sound enhacements in CM7. The build.prop tweak in this case is useless. It does what it was designed to and the name of the variable speaks for itself.

CALL_VOL_STEPS... So once again. This defines how many steps of volume adsjustments you have between min and max. Hawgh.

And.. Can you show me where I claimed to be a developer? As far as I know I am treated as an addict if you look to the left.

I am also pretty confident that if you remove this line from build.prop (without uninstalling volume+) you won't notice any difference in sound levels.

Ohh yes of course you are addict and not a developer sorry for the confusion........... :P

And increasing volume steps increases the volume......have you tried yourself ? i have tried and it works.....

You yourself write on first post share other ways to increase volume and you only argue with people's statements without trying what they are suggesting...... :excl:

Guest C3C0

Ohh yes of course you are addict and not a developer sorry for the confusion........... :P

And increasing volume steps increases the volume......have you tried yourself ? i have tried and it works.....

You yourself write on first post share other ways to increase volume and you only argue with people's statements without trying what they are suggesting...... :excl:

I tried - it simply doesn't work on CM7. And I know WHY it can't work (checked the code).

What I was trying to do all the time is to clear what this parameter does and what it doesn't.

Anyway, there is still no reason to start being offensive.

Guest jtharmor

I tried - it simply doesn't work on CM7. And I know WHY it can't work (checked the code).

What I was trying to do all the time is to clear what this parameter does and what it doesn't.

Anyway, there is still no reason to start being offensive.

I said it works on CM9..........check previous comments.....i dont use CM7. The discussion was about CM9 only, from the time i said first page does not have latest kernel for CM9 and you said CM9 does not need this.

Edited by jtharmor

Guest C3C0

Should work with AOSP, too. The reason why it's not listed there is because AOSP did not exist at the time of writing the post.