[ROM] VegaCream for Advent Vega / PoV Mobii Tegra

Guest Scanno

Guest Scanno

[iNTRODUCTION]

This ROM is based of the joined effort of a couple of devs (Cass, Eduardo, Corvus, Scanno and Brucelee666) who are working on getting ICS as good as possible for our device. This has resulted in a git repository where all the specific files and patches are located that are needed to compile the Android 4.0.4 AOSP source code and create a working ROM.

I am trying to keep the git repository up-to-date so that all the devs that would to compile the AOSP source code can use the repository to build a good working base rom and put effort in improving the ROM instead of figuring everything out themselves.

I am making VegaCream because i would like to have done this and have some knowledge about making roms. I am working in the IT business for almost 20 years and like many i have a professional and personal life. That means that if i am lucky i have 8 hours per week that i can spend time on this ROM. My wife, my child and my own health are more important then this ROM, so lets keep everything simple and nice. This is supposed to be fun and a hobby (at least it is for me). Let's keep it that way.

[sPECIFICATIONS]

This ROM is based on AOSP 4.0.4 and the device config made by Cass, Eduardo, Corvus and myself (see https://github.com/vegaics).

- DPI is set at 120dpi

- Default ICS Launcher installed

- Apex Launcher installed

- Filemanager installed

- Terminal installed

- Google Apps is installed. This means that the Google base is installed and all the apps that are available in the Play Store are not installed (i.e. GMail, Maps)

- All languages that are available in AOSP are included

- Partition layout is the same as VegaICS beta1 / Modded stock

- /system/app, /system/lib, /system/fonts, /system/framework and /system/usr are Squashfs filesystems.

[iNSTALLATION]

With BETA2 there are two ways of installing VegaCream:

- Installing the CWM update zip from recovery

- Using the NVFLASH windows executable.

Use the CWM update zip when you are sure that you have the correct partition layout (modded stock or VegaICS). Always do a *Full Wipe* BEFORE installing the zip file.

Use the NVFLASH installer when you are not sure if you have the correct partition layout or want to repartition and format your NAND. Put your tablet in nvflash mode (back-power-back) and run the exe in windows.

*ATTENTION* The Install zip is *BETA* and it does not have nice text or a good working progress bar. My primary efforts are going to the ROM itself at the moment.

[WORKING]

VegaCream is now on the same level as VegaICS beta1 is. That means it has the same stuff working but it has also the same things that do not work and / or the same problems.

- Wifi (same connection problems as VegaICS beta1)

- Bluetooth (Did not test a lot, but it pairs and communicates)

- (P)EAP (I could connect to the enterprise wifi AP that is available at my work, it connects and could update my apps through the Play Store. The Signal Strength indicator is NOT working when connected to that AP)

- Camera (same as VegaICS beta1)

- 3G (for most huawei modems)

[NOT WORKING]

[CREDITS]

- Cass

- Eduardo

- Corvus

- Scanno

- Brucelee666

- Areo

Edited by Scanno

Guest Scanno

*WARNING*

As you might already have read, some people have problems with their touchscreens after flashing a new ROM (this can happen with any ROM). In worst case their touchscreen has died. There has been an investigation into this problem and the conclusion is that there are bad batches of touchscreens that can die when they overheat. This is also due to a design flaw of our tablets. As a precaution it is strongly adviced to disconnect the power from the tablet when booting the first time after flashing a new ROM. This because after flashing a new ROM, the tablet needs to do a lot of processing and that generates heat and increases the change of overheating the touchscreen.

If you feel VegaCream is worth it and would like to show your gratitude (the donate link is added on request):

btn_donate_SM.gif

AND also do NOT forget about ejtagle and brucelee666 for their great work.

[DOWNLOADS]

VegaCream BETA RC2:

If you use the CWM zip, please do not forget to do a *Full Wipe*

CWM-Flashable ZIP: VegaCream-RC2-120dpi-Apex.zip

NVFlash: VegaCream-RC2-NVFlash.exe

VegaCream BETA RC1:

If you use the CWM zip, please do not forget to do a *Full Wipe*

CWM-Flashable ZIP: VegaCream-RC1-120dpi-Apex.zip

NVFlash: VegaCream-RC1-NVFlash.exe

VegaCream BETA 4.1:

*Warning* This version uses the new 3.1.10 kernel and can still cause problems. If you are not sure if you want to use this version, then please do not download and install !!!

CWM-Flashable ZIP: VegaCream-Beta4.1-120dpi-Apex.zip

NVFlash: VegaCream-Beta4.1-NVFlash.exe

VegaCream BETA 3:

CWM-Flashable ZIP: VegaCream-Beta3-120dpi-Apex.zip

NVFlash: VegaCream-Beta3-NVflash.exe

VegaCream BETA2.1:

CWM-Flashable ZIP: VegaCream-BETA2.1-120dpi-Apex.zip.zip

NVFlash: VegaCream-Beta2.1-nvflash.exe

===============================================

VegaCream BETA1: VegaCream-Beta1-120dpi-Apex.zip

VegaCream Alpha2: VegaCream-Alpha2-120dpi-Apex.zip

VegaCream Alpha1: VegaCream-Alpha1-120dpi-Apex.zip

[CHANGELIST]

RC2:

- New kernel based on the latest NVidia rel-15r7 kernel.

RC1:

- Latest Apex Launcher

- Wifi working as it should

- Hopefully no lockups anymore

BETA 4.1:

*THIS IS STILL EXPERIMENTAL*

- Kernel 3.1.10

- WiFi working as it should

- Suspend problems should be solved

BETA 3:

- Updated sources to latest AOSP 4.0.4 version (IMM76L)

- Recompiled the kernel:

- Fixed clock frequency staying locked at 1000 Mhz

- Kernel version shows up in About

- TUN module is compiled into the kernel (not as a seperate module)

- Updated proprietary drivers

- Small change in vold.fstab. You can now see connected USB mass storage devices in settings/storage.

BETA2.1:

- Newly compiled from scratch

- Mms.apk is back.

- LatinIME now has build in languages for spellcorrections and hints

BETA2 (compared to BETA1):

- Removed provision.apk. This may conflict with Google Apps

- Added Advanced Wifi Lock to /system/app

- Changed keyboard

- Updated to latest AOSP 4.0.4 version (IMM76I)

- su, busybox, superuser build from source

- SystemUI.apk force closing should be solved.

- Sound problems (stuttering) solved (thanks brucelee666)

- 3G should be working (it is working on my Huawei E153 dongle)

- Browser updated and includes setting to change useragent

- Webkit updated

- OpenVPN compiled from source

BETA1:

- Bluetooth working (Thanks Brucelee666)

- Video problems should be solved (not all libraries needed were included)

- Enhanced Powermenu implemented (Thanks Brucelee666)

- Both Apex Launcher and Stock Launcher included. You can choose at first boot which launcher you want to use)

ALPHA2:

- Squashfs working, all the apps now on /system.

- Camera working.

- All Languages added

- Added a Filemanager on /data/app (can be removed)

- Added a Terminal on /data/app (can be removed)

- Added tun.ko in /system/lib/modules/

- OpenVPN binaries added

Edited by Scanno

Guest robbo247

I have read that there are many peopele who are getting nervous when there is nothing to flash.... Well here is another ROM for the Vega that you all can try out :cool:

For the people who are watching the kernel thread over at Modaco know that Cass, Eduardo, Corvus and myself are working on a ROM base based on the Android 4.0.4 AOSP source code. Corvus has already released CorvusReloaded and now i am giving you the stuff i have been working on.

This ROM will roughly have the same problems as CorvusReloaded, because it is based on the same base settings needed to compile the AOSP source code. But offcourse there are differences ;)

While there are still a lot of problems to be worked out (like bluetooth not working, camera not working) i thought people could have a peek already.

Please beware this is an *ALPHA* version and it will have problems !!!!

[sPECIFICATIONS]

This ROM is based on AOSP 4.0.4 and the device config made by Cass, Eduardo, Corvus and myself (see https://github.com/vegaics).

I personally like 120dpi and Apex Launcher, so this ROM is set at 120dpi and has Apex Launcher 1.0.5 as the Launcher.

Google Apps is installed.

To preserve space, this ROM does not have all the languages included. The languages that are included are:

- German

- English (UK and US)

- Spanish

- Dutch (i am from the Netherlands)

- Russian

As of yet i did not manage to get squashfs working, so i needed the space. Also some apps are put on the data partition during install. As soon as i can get squashfs working, i will use it and get all the languages back. But i think with the chosen languages, most people can work with this.

Paritioning is the same as VegaICS beta1.

[iNSTALLATION]

You *MUST* have modded stock / VegaICS installed because of correct partitioning. This ROM uses the partion sizes specified in those ROMS. This installation does *NOT* resize the partitions.

This is a CWM update ZIP so it should be flashed from a Recovery. You *MUST* do a factory reset / complete wipe before installing.

Flash the ZIP as you normally would do and reboot.

*ATTENTION* The Install zip is *ALPHA* and it does not have nice text or a good working progress bar. Everything is work in progress.

[WORKING]

On first boot you get the Google Setup wizard and you can add your Google Account there. For me it is working and i get my Contacts and Calendar synced.

Booting into recovery is working with the recovery images i posted in my recovery thread. In this install there is no recovery image included.

USB Host mode is working.

Wifi is flaky. At best the same as VegaICS beta1.

[NOT WORKING]

- Bluetooth

- Camera

- 3G

[CREDITS]

- Cass

- Eduardo

- Corvus

- Areo

- Scanno B)

I have a few Advents and will run some tests of this new rom,nice one...

UPDATE.

Have installed on a few units but freezes at the android screen ,any ideas ?

Edited by robbo247

Guest Scanno

I have a few Advents and will run some tests of this new rom,nice one...

UPDATE.

Have installed on a few units but freezes at the android screen ,any ideas ?

Did you wipe ?

Guest robbo247

Did you wipe ?

yes will test again now give me 2 mins

Got it mate,forgot Dalvic gonna av a play now

Edited by robbo247

Guest brucelee666

Scanno,

Congrats on releasing an image.

You may know this but camera does work you just need to use the camera apk from beta1, the camera apk created when building aosp force closes so this needs work but if you add the other apk users will at least get camera.

Guest Scanno

Scanno,

Congrats on releasing an image.

You may know this but camera does work you just need to use the camera apk from beta1, the camera apk created when building aosp force closes so this needs work but if you add the other apk users will at least get camera.

I did use the apk from beta1, but it still FC's. Seems to be missing some stuff still...

Seems that perhaps the kernel used from beta1 is not completely compatible....

Edited by Scanno

Guest brucelee666

I did use the apk from beta1, but it still FC's. Seems to be missing some stuff still...

Ok camera works for me using this apk able to take pic and video (just tested on my own build). Will download your update and take a look at it.

edit:- Ok had a look and think the problem is in the boot.img, you have a ueventd.ventana.rc - this does not get run so no permissions are being set for dev/*.

Needs to be ueventd.harmony.rc (Cass had this problem when he first released an image which was why he added stuff to vegapostboot script for camera was fixed in the beta1 boot image)

Attached my latest boot image which should fix that also has all Eduardos updates for 3g, give it a try.

edit - boot.img removed

Edited by brucelee666

Guest Scanno

Ok camera works for me using this apk able to take pic and video (just tested on my own build). Will download your update and take a look at it.

Thanks,

I think that i am starting to find out why it does not work for me... I am using the complete kernel+ramdisk from Eduardo's 3G fix.. I think that using the shuttle device config, i should edit the ramdisk and change the ueventd.ventana to ueventd.shuttle. I also should change the init files in the ramdisk. Sigh... That would also explain i guess some other problems...

Never been very good in the kernel stuff. Lets see if i manage to split the boot.img, edit the ramdisk and put it together correctly :unsure:

Guest brucelee666

Thanks,

I think that i am starting to find out why it does not work for me... I am using the complete kernel+ramdisk from Eduardo's 3G fix.. I think that using the shuttle device config, i should edit the ramdisk and change the ueventd.ventana to ueventd.shuttle. I also should change the init files in the ramdisk. Sigh... That would also explain i guess some other problems...

Never been very good in the kernel stuff. Lets see if i manage to split the boot.img, edit the ramdisk and put it together correctly :unsure:

Posted my update while you were posting this, also noticed someone mention a random reboot issue on tabletroms.

This is probably due to the write lp2_in_idle line not being commented out in init.harmony.rc of your original boot image, this was commented out by Cass when he had this issue in vegaICS and it fixed this issue.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest Scanno

Posted my update while you were posting this, also noticed someone mention a random reboot issue on tabletroms.

This is probably due to the write lp2_in_idle line not being commented out in init.harmony.rc of your original boot image, this was commented out by Cass when he had this issue in vegaICS and it fixed this issue.

Thanks,

sent you a pm.

Guest Oldbarzo

Hi scanno

Just downloaded Vegacream and will give it a go later and post results.

Thanks for the effort.

Oldbarzo

(Stransky)

Edit: 2045 installed and running.

Wifi ok restarts auto on reboot.

Playstore working, downloaded Titanium backup and now restoring my apps.

Getting Screen freezes sometimes when backing out ofan app (i.e. Titanium)

Observations: Display timeout up to 10 Mins only available. Most other roms allow 30.

On first boot after install screen would not sync. Google search only showing half of search entry at top of screen, and downloaded apps appeared

cut off at top of screen, after a couple of reboots Google search now residing in mid screen and apps appearing correctly.

Again thanks for the Alpha build.

Oldbarzo

(Stransky)

Edited by Oldbarzo

Guest Cass67

Nice work Scanno getting this out ... im installing it as soon as i get some battery life in my Tablet .. then i can have a look as to why the squashing does not work for you ... and BT ... let ya know :)

edit :- ok booted your image with a squashed app .. your problem is mostly permissions related ... Ill PM some details and reasons as to why its probably occuring ... ive NO IDEA at all why this boots ok with no squashed app as it should fail that way too :)

also: - Apex needs fixed to properly display at 120dpi .. but that's another discussion how :)

Ill look to BT now

Cheers

Cass

Edited by Cass67

Guest mytoza

edit :- ok booted your image with a squashed app .. your problem is mostly permissions related ... Ill PM some details and reasons as to why its probably occuring ... ive NO IDEA at all why this boots ok with no squashed app as it should fail that way too :)

Well I have had this installed most of the day now and I love the fact that it isn't using the squashfs system.

Now we know it can be done what are the chances of some stripped down lite ICS images that do not need to have squashfs going forwards? I'm sure they will be popular.

Great work Scanno, I have been reporting back some of my experiences over on Tabletroms, should have realised there was probably more happening over here.

Guest Cass67

Well I have had this installed most of the day now and I love the fact that it isn't using the squashfs system.

Now we know it can be done what are the chances of some stripped down lite ICS images that do not need to have squashfs going forwards? I'm sure they will be popular.

Great work Scanno, I have been reporting back some of my experiences over on Tabletroms, should have realised there was probably more happening over here.

Out of interest, what is it about squash that you don't like ? what do you modify that needs a build without it ? just asking ...

Cheers

Cass

Guest mytoza

Out of interest, what is it about squash that you don't like ? what do you modify that needs a build without it ? just asking ...

Cheers

Cass

Well in VegaICS, as much as I loved it, it always frustrated me that I could not remove certain system apps that i didn't want so not being able to free up space on the internal storage.

I mean movies, does anybody really use their Vega to edit movies (you watch somebody is gonna prove me wrong rolleyes.gif) I also tend to remove email, exchange and the wallpapers amongst others. I don't use them so they go.

Then there was the startup stuff, I could never stop any programs from running at startup, I'm not sure that actually has anything to do with the Squashfs but I seems to have managed to do this in Vegacream.

The thing I have found about Vegacream as it stands is that it seems to be quite light on the Vega's resources, now again this may have nothing to do with squashfs, but compared to Honeyice, Corvusreborn and VegaIce it seems to fly on my tablet.

So if ICS can be used on the P10NA10 range without the need for Squash then why use it? Surely there is a system overhead involved with the decompression on the fly side of things?

Maybe I am putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but you did ask smile.gif

Edited by mytoza

Guest Cass67

Well in VegaICS, as much as I loved it, it always frustrated me that I could not remove certain system apps that i didn't want so not being able to free up space on the internal storage.

I mean movies, does anybody really use their Vega to edit movies (you watch somebody is gonna prove me wrong rolleyes.gif) I also tend to remove email, exchange and the wallpapers amongst others. I don't use them so they go.

Then there was the startup stuff, I could never stop any programs from running at startup, I'm not sure that actually has anything to do with the Squashfs but I seems to have managed to do this in Vegacream.

The thing I have found about Vegacream as it stands is that it seems to be quite light on the Vega's resources, now again this may have nothing to do with squashfs, but compared to Honeyice, Corvusreborn and VegaIce it seems to fly on my tablet.

So if ICS can be used on the P10NA10 range without the need for Squash then why use it? Surely there is a system overhead involved with the decompression on the fly side of things?

Maybe I am putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but you did ask smile.gif

yeah no probs mate, i did ask and for good reason .. ive not heard yet a good reason for not having it, some of what you post is a good reason, so fair play .. there is a need for squash, but for my way of thinking and working .. for others maybe not so much .. its all swings and roundabouts ;)

Cheers

Cass

Guest rickyb75

when i try lo load vegalcs it says non 7 zip arcive what can i do so it will work so can add it so then i can try this new rom

stupid me if its based on same as corvus just add the zip to sd card and load ddeeeerrrrrrrr havin a play now shuttle tools works cool connects to google play and downloads apps no probs lookin good so far and it seems its not a touch sensative as corvus reborn on my vega it was a bit sensative cant wait to spend a few days playib with this you guys are doing a great job

Edited by rickyb75