[ROM] VegaCream for Advent Vega / PoV Mobii Tegra

Guest Scanno

Guest buddybu

Thanks for this ROM. It has been, by far, the best replacement ROM to work with on my ViewPad 10s. I only had one anomaly, in that I had left my tablet sitting for a couple of days and when I powered it on, the touch screen wouldn't work. I rebooted, and still the same thing. I then reflashed the ROM and it worked again.

Has anyone else seen this?

Guest richardmlea

I have seen something similar yes but the touchscreen stops responding after a few second of sleep. It was happening to me when I was experimenting with different touchscreen firmware and was trying firmware off another similar tablet. The touchscreen worked at first normally but sleep killed the touchscreen until factory reset or flashing a rom. I now have a tested solution to the 99 firmware problems and will post this info shortly in my touchscreen problem thread.

You could check what firmware your touchscreen has using an android 2.2 rom and the TPutility.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70550095/TP%20upgrade/TpUtility8_P10_20110227_0.apk

Guest elf69

I had to join to say BIG thank you to this ROM.

Im using beta3 after a friend pointed me this way as well as a great guy on ebay, (richardmlea on here)

Anyway all great and love that I can now txt, but no MMS or voice but looking on here its a firmware issue so I will have to live with it.

GPS restarts the tablet if you turn it on and off again.

I dont use GPS but my firend does so downgraded him to vegacomb as GPS stable.

great work in here looking forward to exploring more on here as time goes on :)

Edited by elf69

Guest c31b32364ce19ca8

All,

I'm (in the meantime) very much into the em770w firmware thing and I'd like to request firmware version data from those of you with a builtin em770w 3G/GPS. Not sure if it's known yet (to Richard most likely) that we're able to get the firmware version via AT command(?). That said, may you please run

$ echo AT+GMR > /dev/ttyUSB0 && cat /dev/ttyUSB0

in Android Terminal Emulator and let me know your em770w firmware version? I'm very curious if we're all dealing with the very same beast here - from a firmware perspective - and thus if we can get any assumptions upon firmware versions VS poor GPS of our huaweis, i.e. if a firmware update actually may help.

Mine is 11.126.10.81.00, poor GPS Test result (15 satellites in view, 3-4 with 20-30 SNR, rest -1), POV mobii 3G. May you please provide your data?

Thanks!

Guest Scanno
All,

I'm (in the meantime) very much into the em770w firmware thing and I'd like to request firmware version data from those of you with a builtin em770w 3G/GPS. Not sure if it's known yet (to Richard most likely) that we're able to get the firmware version via AT command(?). That said, may you please run

$ echo AT+GMR > /dev/ttyUSB0 && cat /dev/ttyUSB0

in Android Terminal Emulator and let me know your em770w firmware version? I'm very curious if we're all dealing with the very same beast here - from a firmware perspective - and thus if we can get any assumptions upon firmware versions VS poor GPS of our huaweis, i.e. if a firmware update actually may help.

Mine is 11.126.10.81.00, poor GPS Test result (15 satellites in view, 3-4 with 20-30 SNR, rest -1), POV mobii 3G. May you please provide your data?

Thanks!

Sorry that i cannot help. I have a pov without 3g and GPS so it is not possible for me to test and develop vegacream with GPS support.

Guest c31b32364ce19ca8

Sorry that i cannot help. I have a pov without 3g and GPS so it is not possible for me to test and develop vegacream with GPS support.

Hi Scanno, 3G/GPS actually works just fine with Vegacream Beta3 already. It's just that the builtin huawei em770w really isn't the very best GPS device out there from a signal strength/SNR & locking behavior perspective. richardmlea rightfully suggested (previously within this thread) that these issues may be related to the em770w firmware and after finding out the right AT command to query the firmware version, I felt it a good idea to start a survey to get a better picture of firmware versions out there (i.e. do we all have the same firmware, SNR, locking behavior). Huawei unfortunately isn't very supportive by publicly releasing firmware updates. That said, I just got started reading huawei tech specs, firmware release notes, AT command docs & starting this user survey. I mean, maybe it turns out that flashing the firmware will provide us way better GPS experience.

Guest elf69

I would like to offer my firmware data but can someone tell me how to do it step by step?

From within my tablet, the viewsonic 10S.

Im an android fan and like to play with the OS but I not been too much behind the scenes.

Many thanks :)

Guest Daedric1383

Open terminal

type "su" and enter (without quotes)

accept superuser request

then type that command

Mine is : 11.126.10.85.00

Edited by Daedric1383

Guest c31b32364ce19ca8

I would like to offer my firmware data but can someone tell me how to do it step by step?

OK, some more precise instructions (supplementing Daedric1383):

1. open Terminal app

2. type "su" and enter (without the quotes)

3. accept superuser request

4. type "echo AT+GMR > /dev/ttyUSB0 && cat /dev/ttyUSB0" and enter (again without the quotes)

5. let us know the following information:

a. the firmware version

b. the tablet, i.e. Vega, POV, Viewsonic, ...

c. ideally, please provide a screenshot of GPS Test app (available for free at Google Play) - be patient until satellite info actually shows up

Tip: For GPS to work you need to insert a Sim card.

Thx!

Mine is : 11.126.10.85.00

We already have two different versions then! May you please provide tablet info (Vega, POV, ...) & (ideally) GPS Test screenshot?

Edited by c31b32364ce19ca8

Guest richardmlea

The one in mine is 11.126.10.81.00 my result are similar to C31b's

I have a few EM770W's so I will test them all and see what they have but I think they will all be the same FW because they are from the same source.

I received the sim adapter to try one in my laptop but its not having it. I need to borrow one that's compatible with the cards.

I don't know if firmware will help the GPS because our firmware is later than the GPS improvement. See the release notes

em770wnotes2.th.jpg

em770wnotes1.th.png

But it will give us voice calling by the look of it.

Other idea's for the culprit,

The accelerometer is going crazy (not on all axis though so it works for most things) when tested using apps from the play store. Could this be causing the gps to play up?

Also the time is way off when viewed in gps test apps (compared to the system time, system time is correct) updating ntp time using GPS aid doesn't help.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest Muji12

ok so touch screen doesnt work as expected, cant find calabration utility, but most off the biggest problem i have is that my play store payed apps, now says i need to repurchase them WTF???

Opiuz - I have the same problem. WTF indeed! Have you found a fix?

Scanno - thanks for the hard work.

--EDIT--

I managed to fix it by going into settings > apps > Google play > Delete data

Now everything works. Again, wonderful work, Scanno

Edited by Muji12

Guest elf69

since going from viewcomb to this ICS rom my xenta wireless keyboard with built in touch pad not work at all.

its the xenta pkb-1720 from ebuyer.com

can anyone offer why it dont work, and yes turned usb host on.

will post my firmware data on monday, thanks guys.

Guest Daedric1383

Downloading, will test ASAP.

Cannot actually test 3G, no 3G sim card available. Do you have any idea why it's not working ?

Guest Scanno
Downloading, will test ASAP.

Cannot actually test 3G, no 3G sim card available. Do you have any idea why it's not working ?

Yes it has to do with ppp. In the logcat you can see that the kernel does not support ppp. This comes from pppd. But the kernel is compiled with ppp support. Somehow when the USB port is in host mode ppp cannot be used with my USB huawei. Do not know about the internal modem, because I do not have one.

Why it does not work I do not know yet.

Guest elf69

I shall wait til 3G is working as I use it quite a bit on weekends away from home with no wifi points (yes I know hard to belive).

Guest elf69

OK, some more precise instructions (supplementing Daedric1383):

1. open Terminal app

2. type "su" and enter (without the quotes)

3. accept superuser request

4. type "echo AT+GMR > /dev/ttyUSB0 && cat /dev/ttyUSB0" and enter (again without the quotes)

5. let us know the following information:

a. the firmware version

b. the tablet, i.e. Vega, POV, Viewsonic, ...

c. ideally, please provide a screenshot of GPS Test app (available for free at Google Play) - be patient until satellite info actually shows up

Tip: For GPS to work you need to insert a Sim card.

Thx!

We already have two different versions then! May you please provide tablet info (Vega, POV, ...) & (ideally) GPS Test screenshot?

I typed the command as writted here with the spaces and it said "COMMAND NOT SUPPORT"

Did I miss something?

Sorry cant seem to take a screen shot and txt sooooo tiny anyway not sure its readable.

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hi scanno, so far every update has broken the home button and apps stop working and requires me to wipe and start afresh

What is going on? Is this issue just with my tablet or is a wipe after every update mandatory

Guest elf69

Double check the echo command. CAPS count

I typed it EXACTLY as it is displayed on here, I'll give it yet another go but it MUST be me.....

I just cant see what I done wrong.

Guest elf69

Well it must have been me, coz it worked!

Mine is: 11.126.10.85.00

I have a Viewsonic 10S

Cannot do GPS test yet as work is granite building and stops signal.

Guest elf69

since going from viewcomb to this ICS rom my xenta wireless keyboard with built in touch pad not work at all.

its the xenta pkb-1720 from ebuyer.com

can anyone offer why it dont work, and yes turned usb host on.

Anyone help with my keyboard?

This happened to some on the Motorola Xoom forum after upgrading to ICS.

wifi and USB keyboards stopped but bluetooth worked over there.

Is it a ICS problem then?

I really want this working as I use my tablet for a media PC linked to my big TV, but now I have to keep getting up to change photo or movie :(

somebody help please.....

EDIT:

Also cannot use my USB memory stick, it works in PC and my 2.2 tablet but seems NO USB device is working but its powered as red light on on the memory stick and my USB wifi keyboard stick.

Im gonna try to reflash it see it that cures it, if not Im going back to viewcomb.

Great ROM just hope bugs are just my tablet and a reflash cures it.

Edited by elf69

Guest masterg0g0
Hi scanno, so far every update has broken the home button and apps stop working and requires me to wipe and start afresh

What is going on? Is this issue just with my tablet or is a wipe after every update mandatory

This happens to me also, so I have started using titanium backup to restore.

Guest Scanno

@All,

VegaCream Beta4.1 is uploaded. I have uploaded a CWM zip and a NVFlash version. See second post for the download links.

VegaCream Beta 4.1 uses the 3.1.10 kernel and might still cause problems. For me personally it works like a charm. Wifi comes back and no suspend problems anymore.

I have posted a Beta4, but that version did not have 3g and HDMI output. This is resolved in this version.

Regards Scanno