Intermittent blob appearing inside the screen

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Guest strowger

I'm getting the 'blob' as well. It's present occasionally when I take the phone out of my pocket, and fades after a while.

I can produce it on-demand by flexing the phone with moderate force - by this I mean "more than you would normally consider reasonable, but less than you would expect to cause damage" if that makes sense.

It fades of its own accord after a little while.

I don't know exactly what it is but I recognise it as common when LCD panels are flexed.

Won't be returning mine unless it gets *much* worse - as everything works fine and I can't be bothered setting it all up again.

Guest Frankish

I'd be happy to talk anyone through the steps to make it Vodafone enough for a warranty to be ok. I don't view this as fraud in any way as you would be returning for a hardware fault.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peninsula

I can replicate this on my G300, but it does not happen of its own accord, thankfully!

The 'blob' is the glass being touched by the lcd panel. Holding the phone between thumb and forefinger and squeezing will cause the lcd to flex up and touch the underside of the glass.

The gap between the glass and lcd is so small that some pressure from the back of the phone will push the lcd against the inside of the glass and they stick together a bit.

Do you carry the phone in your pocket with the glass facing out, and the battery side facing your leg? I would say carrying the phone in your pocket with the glass inwards should stop this happening.

If it doesn't, then the phone is faulty in my opinion. Something is perhaps warming up due to electrical currents and swelling, pushing the lcd against the underside of the glass.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Thanks for the feedback, Peninsula. I do actually carry my phone with the glass facing my leg (I usually wear jeans and it seems to me that the fabric of the lining is less abrasive than the denim). The visual appearance of the blob does accord with your description; it does seem that something is pressing from the back and pushing the LCD against the glass at that point. 'Massaging' from the back usually removes the blob in a few seconds. Usually when I press form the back in this manner (with the battery removed) each time I apply pressure the blob gets smaller until, after about five presses, it disappears completely. Currently there is no residue or evidence that it was there. It has happened about five or six times now and in all instances it has been in my pocket and the phone is likely to have been squashed slightly (e.g. when I squat down and the denim is pulled taught). It has never just appeared while I have been using the phone, so it is likely to be the squashing rather than just heat that causes it. I have always removed it by actively intervening, so could not say whether it clears up if I just leave the phone alone for a bit. The only time it did clear up without me mucking about with it is the time I left it on my dashboard (I didn't have time to be taking the back off and faffing about just then) and the blob had gone by the time I reached work. I couldn't say whether this would have happened had I just left it on a desk, or whether it was caused by the vibrations of the dashboard moving whatever is causing the pressure. The next time it happens I'll try just leaving it on a desk and see whether it goes away of its own accord.

As the blob appears to be in the same place for everybody, it seems likely to me that there is a particular component that causes it. Perhaps from a faulty batch, given that not everybody experiences it. I am considering reeturning it, but it has been almost two months now since I bought it and I am running B888, so would have to muck about a bit to get it to a returnable state.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

It does seem to be a faulty batch,if it was a fault with the design of the phone many would have this.I personally have no problems with mine,and I have had it for a month now.

I think all devices have a dodgy batch,in fact all things sold must sooner or later have faulty batches.I was one of the unfortunate ones who had a zte blade from the batch with light leak in top right corner,that on top of several dead pixels too.

Guest FrankieADZ

have to agree with Jiko, I think that every product can have a faulty batch slip thru. just annoys you to see it if Im honest.

Guest Davidoff59

I thinks its more than a faulty batch. Some are having hardware failure as well. I just read of some Guy who had 4 random phone wipes in 3 days so he took it back to Vodafone who told him they were having a lot of problems with this phone.

Community users here are only a tiny percentage so we only have a bit to go on. The issue could be more wide spread than we know and it probably is.

Vodafone apparantly dropped the contract deals by a fiver to get stock of this phone out the door.

Guest Jamie :)

May be just that! I haven't had any other problems with it besides this!

Different batches of phones are usually store/area specific aren't they? Hmm

Guest Gary_J_Wright

I'd be happy to talk anyone through the steps to make it Vodafone enough for a warranty to be ok. I don't view this as fraud in any way as you would be returning for a hardware fault.

I guide would help as i need to make it look as close as b882 vodafone as possible as got the non downgradeable b888 rom on....

Guest rustwood

I'm another user with the same problem. It began after about the fourth day. I to carried in my hip pocket (though it never even went outside the house!). Like others on this topic, the size of the blob has grown considerably and will move slightly and expand if I press hard on the glass. I purchased mine on-line from Vodaphone and was, to say the least, a bit put out to find that they reckon they will only accept responsibility for the product for the first SEVEN days (what happened to purchasers rights ?) I was advised to contact the Huawei help desk, which I did, only to be referred back to Vodaphone. A couple of internal phone transfers later I did get to talk to the sales people who have now arranged for my phone to be taken back and (hopefully) my money refunded.

I think the one lesson I have learned is to NEVER purchase from Vodaphone online again! (and I am a shareholder !!!)

I will update any news as it happens.

Guest kai666

I have had my phone for 4 weeks, and today I get this problem. the blob takes up about half the screen, though aggressive poking does get rid of it eventually, though it comes back when returned to my back pocket

Guest kai666

I would say carrying the phone in your pocket with the glass inwards should stop this happening

It doesn't. I always keep the glass facing inwards, and get the blob

Guest pritsey

Just an FYI - got the phone out my pocket this evening and the blob was there.....argh! Having read about it here I went to take off the hard case I keep on the phone and boom! When I tried to case the case off the blob went away!

Guest Jamie :)

Just an FYI - got the phone out my pocket this evening and the blob was there.....argh! Having read about it here I went to take off the hard case I keep on the phone and boom! When I tried to case the case off the blob went away!

Were you wearing Jeans? I always notice with the same pair of jeans the blob appears, It's happened in the same jeans twice now.. Quite odd because the jeans aren't skinny or anything they're just normal and the pockets are big enough? Strange how it happens in the same jeans though

Guest ColEx

Thought id should post a reply to this thread seeing as i had the same problem over the weekend. Not really sure how it happend, could be to do with preasure on the screen while being in my pocket etc, but not 100% sure. But i took the phone back to the vodafone store, i did originally buy it online, but after typing out a email to vodafone via the website, they suggested to take it to my nearest store if possible, so i did.

The phone is only 3 weeks old to me, and the gentleman in the shop replaced it there and then. At first when i showed him the phone from a distance he thought it had contact with water, but after a close examination he said "weird, not sure what that is" and replaced it on the spot. Really annoying to be honest because now im abit cautious with putting the phone in my pocket! If it happens again i will probably try and get a full refund and put some extra cash towards a new phone. I dont really wana do that becaues this phone is just to good for the money!

Guest Maximus9

You are so lucky, I was told they cannot actually replace it in-store if bought online, and had to arrange for a postal return, which takes AGES and is a lot of hussle.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

If i grip the phone in one hand and squeeze the left and right sides together the blob disappears.

Thanks. I'll try this next time it appears. It does sound as though it is pressure being applied form behind the LCD somewhere. Squeezing the sides presumably separates the front and the back sufficiently to alleviate it for a while. I am certain that is it being squeezed in pockets that is causing it.

Guest ColEx

You are so lucky, I was told they cannot actually replace it in-store if bought online, and had to arrange for a postal return, which takes AGES and is a lot of hussle.

Yeah i guess.

I went to the store with the mentalitly of getting a full refund. but because they did a straight swap with no hassle i just went along with it. The phone was also rooted to.

Guest snippins

I got the same issue over the weekend.

I bought the phone from vodafone online and have put giffgaff sim in it.

When I tried my local vodafone shop they wouldn't take it without a vodafone telephone number and I managed to forget that the phone didn't actually come with a vodafone sim so I wasted a bit of time trying to find out my number until I remembered. I did try and point out to them that the number is in any case entirely irrelevant.

I then followed the online instructions to email customer care about the issue and that was spectacularly unhelpful.

I think I am going to to try a different vodafone shop as by looks of it some are good and some are, shall we say, less good.

Customer service does seem pretty lamentable so far - wish I had bought the phone from amazon in any event as at least you know they have good after sales service.

Yeah the customer care of these mobile companies is usually shockingly bad,once they have your money in their pockets they dont give a s***!

I am having trouble with orange(the worst network in existence) I ordered a san diego on contract which was delivered to my local store as I was out most of the day it was due for pickup.So I went into store to collect and was told I could not have my OSD without either a driving license or a passport,I have neither.So I then went home and rang after care who assured me I do not need a driving license or passport,all that is needed is the card the order was made on and the confirmation email along with something like a bank statement.Yet again,I go back to store with my card,email confirmation printed and a bank statement which included the delivery charge for the phone,still it was not enough.I then phoned customer care whilst in store so they could tell the store what they told me,guess what,they changed their mind,I now need a driving licence or passport WTF!!! :angry:

So I go home phone orange again explaining all the above and they contacted the store and had the device sent back to them and told me another one was being sent out for wednesday.(two days away)

Wednesday comes and goes no delivery,I phone orange who say it has not been sent,they are waiting for the one from store before they can send one :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: WTF is wrong with these people.

Anyway,I cancelled that mess and reordered online this morning,it will be here by 10am tomorrow.

Now that is one bad customer hostile network,I do not even want a contract with them,but i do want the OSD for my daily driver.(G300 for playing about)

If I could afford to go spend 200 right now,I would just go in store and pick up a pay as you go.

And to top it off,I am still waiting for my bricked G300 to return from store.

Sorry way off topic now,just see that post about customer care and it just set me off in a droid rage :lol:

Guest snippins

I sympathise.

I think it is the general inconsistency and incoherence that ratchets up the rage. To be honest I think the staff just make things up of the spot.

One of the posters above got his phone-with-blob replaced in store whilst I have been told that the online and shop parts of Vodafone are completely separate, which is clearly complete bollax and should be of no concern to a customer. In my case the only way to actually return the phone in store would be to insert it into one of the hapless members of staff.

How completely useless are they? You might think there was some advantage in having lots of stores that online customers could use as well. Some small advantage over amazon. But no, or maybe not; I don't think they have a clue.

Don't get me started on the "we're very busy right now" customer service number.

I suppose we live and learn.

Guest Davidoff59

Profits have taken over any customer satisfaction in a load of corporations now. Bullshit I know but if people accept s***, they will be given s***.

Example, I bought a new sat nav. got it home and it would not lock onto satellites. Took it back, they said you can't get a refund or replacement as its been opened. I said I had to open it to find out it didn't work! She called manufacturer they said to update it so as it didn't come with a cable, I would have to buy one which I then couldn't return as it had been used. They didn't have just a lead so I had to buy a £50 kit. I argued that I was being forced to spend a further £50 on an optional extra to get a brand new product to work. I was mad as could be. Went home, updated sat nav and it worked. Fired off a stinking email to the manufacturer, and rang the shop the next day. Ended up returning the used kit for full refund, and getting a free lead to update off the manufacturer.

You have rights but if YOU don't enforce them, they are useless.

Guest snippins

Well, I haven't had time to send mine back to vodafone yet for various reasons, but yesterday the blob disappeared completely!

So it appeared on 23rd June, spent most of its time the half the size of my thumb and towards the end fluctuated a couple of times between that and the size of a finger nail. And the last time it was finger nail size it in fact just went and disappeared.

Curious.