Help! I'm new and I can't do...

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

Hi and welcome to the help i'm new topic for the G300. If you have followed instructions for certain things and are still struggling this is the place to be. In this topic there are no stupid questions please feel free to ask but at least read my full post first guys and welcome to the wonderful world of Modaco. Enjoy your stay!

If you just want a stock debranded rom and do not care for rooting then just follow Step 1. Forgive the chaotic layout i'm just throwing some stuff together. Formatting will come in time.

1. Installing a Stock rom.

2. Rooting your current rom.

3. Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery.

4. Installing a custom rom.

1. Installing a stock rom.

It is really easy and the downloaded files actually even come with instructions. It is recommended to install the B886 rom as it is the newest build. Installing this will fix the speaker volume that came with the Vodafone branded rom. It is an unreleased test rom but seems to work 100% with no issues.

Download the B886 build rom now!

Please take note that this will fully wipe the data on your device. It will be like starting from new out of the box again. It is your responsibility to backup your apps and data!

1a. Extract the downloaded file to your desktop, make sure your phone has at least 512mb of space free on it's sdcard. I used my 8GB external, people who used the 2GB internal seemed to get a pink screen and no progress. Copy the "dload" folder from the extracted file to the root of your sdcard noting that you need to click into the first dload folder and copy the next one. Root directory being the first location that pops up after mounting your phone in mass storage mode,

1b. Switch your phone off and pull the battery. Replace the battery and hold both the volume up and down buttons down at the same time. Whilst holding these power on your device. This will force an update.

1c. Let your phone boot. Now mount your sdcard again. This time you need to copy the "UPDATE.APP" file from the "vendor" folder in the extracted rom download folder. Now paste this into the "dload" folder on your sdcard and allow it to overwrite the existing one.

1d. Now power off again and pull the battery, yet again replace the battery and hold both the volume up and down buttons down at the same time. Whilst holding these power on your device. This will force the last part of the update. You are now done! Just as a note i had to pull the battery after this part of the update.

You can now set up your account and settings as you like.

2. Rooting your current rom.

Paul has made this ridiculously easy for us all so i won't go into too much detail here. His method which will work on Linux, Windows and Mac is pretty much a one click root. Please follow the instructions in this topic Pauls Root Thread.

3. Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Some users have had issues with flashing this so i have done some text editing of some of Pauls scripts for his root method to make a similar one click install for Clockwork Mod Recovery. I have bundled the latest version by Sebastian as of the 5th May 2012. So please first of all,

3a. Download this file first. Easy CWM Recovery Installer. Now extract the zip file to a suitable location. On your phone press Menu, Settings, Applications, Development. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

3b. Power off your phone and pull the battery. Replace the battery and power on your phone with the volume DOWN key pressed.

3c. The same as Pauls root installing your phone will now stick on the Huawei logo. Plug in your USB cable.

3d. Same as Pauls still...

For WINDOWS - double click 'install-cwmrecovery-windows.bat'

For MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-cwmrecovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-cwmrecovery-mac.sh'

For LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-cwmrecovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-cwmrecovery-linux.sh'.

3.e When finished, you can put your device in recovery mode by turning off the phone, pulling the battery and USB cable, wait a few seconds, replace the battery then turn on with the 'volume UP' button pressed to enter recovery.

Note that to navigate the menus you use the volume keys and the home button makes a selection. Back obviously goes back.

4. Installing a Custom rom.

For now there isn't much available other than a slightly debranded version of the Vodafone rom by Sebasatian. You can find it and the details over here at his blog. Which is here, Sebastians Blog.

4a. Boot your phone into Clockwork Mod Recovery which you installed in section 3. Do this by either pulling your battery and then replacing it, then powering on with volume up held. Or i select restart from the power menu and just keep the volume up button held.

4b. Make a backup of your current rom. This is optional but a good idea! Do this by selecting "Backup and Restore" then "Backup". Once this is done you need to select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" this wipes EVERYTHING.

4c. To install a rom you have already downloaded and placed on your sdcard now select "Install Zip from SDcard". Then choose "Choose Zip from SDcard". Navigate to the folder containing your rom zip and select it with the power key.Once it finishes installing you can go back to the main menu and select "Reboot System Now".

Thanks!

Thanks to Paul for everything he does as always but mostly for the instructions i 99% copy and pasted etc.

Thanks to Sebastian for bringing us Clockwork Mod for our fantastic new device!

Thanks to hecatae for uncovering the B884 and B886 roms!

This is the initial draft which i will attempt to improve upon with neater formatting and i would appreciate any suggestions on what to add or i'd be happy to answer any of your questions. Let's keep it friendly guys, that is the main difference between Modaco and places like XDA!

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

Hopefully there is something useful there and i know the info is all here but i feel it's organised my way :D I think the biggest help will be the easy installer for Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Guest eirlysbill1

Thank you sir, you are a gentleman. I did all this to Blade over a year ago and I still struggle with to understand it all. This guide is a great help to a 50 year old grandfather. Thanks again. It was very Frank-ish of you. :unsure:

All the best, Bill

Guest Rednose01

Nice One,

All i wanted was to get shut of the Voda Garbage, and the Volume Fixed.

Attempting stage one now!

Weehee!!

Carl..

OMG, step 1b (LOL) when i hold the volume up and down + power, all i get is pinkish screen, thats not right is it?

Edited by Rednose01

Guest FrankieADZ

Reserved because it's what all the cool kids do.

so if all the cools kids jumped off the cliff.....would you? :ph34r: :D lol

Nice work btw :D

also isnt it worth doing a back of the stock vodafone rom before you put the B884/886 file on the phone?

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest Frankish

Nice One,

All i wanted was to get shut of the Voda Garbage, and the Volume Fixed.

Attempting stage one now!

Weehee!!

Carl..

OMG, step 1b (LOL) when i hold the volume up and down + power, all i get is pinkish screen, thats not right is it?

Heard of a couple of people having this. It's not right and i'm not sure what causes it! Files are definitely in this order?

SDCARD/dload/UPDATE.APP ?

Also realised (not sure if it matters) that my dload folder i put on my external/removable sd card. Not the 2gb internal one.

Edited by Frankish

Guest Rednose01

Heard of a couple of people having this. It's not right and i'm not sure what causes it! Files are definitely in this order?

SDCARD/dload/UPDATE.APP ?

Also realised (not sure if it matters) that my dload folder i put on my external/removable sd card. Not the 2gb internal one.

I put it on the internal, just going to try it on the external.

Thanks!

Guest Rednose01

I put it on the internal, just going to try it on the external.

Thanks!

I think thats got it, it says its unpacking, not just the pink screen!

Guest Frankish

I think thats got it, it says its unpacking, not just the pink screen!

Good you may be well on your way to doing it then. I will change my first post to say seems to work best when dload is placed on external sdcard.

Guest davenew

Many thanks for this guide as well.... hopefully I will get round to plucking up courage to put b886 on and then root... have already unlocked the phone though!

Lets hope as more info becomes available, your guide can be added to as and when.

Guest putbinoot

Frankish good man this should help a lot of people. Can I point out a couple of things I discovered.

1. When you unpack rom the structure is dload/dload/update.zip so I had to open the first dload folder then copy the second dload folder that has the update in it.

2. You cannot update by putting update in internal SD card as instructions say put update in SD card and install card which says to me it must be in the external card. I tried internal and it always failed.

3. I updated by having phone on and simply imputing the *#*#2846579#*#* on the dialer keypad and when you input the last * the update starts automatically. No need to fart around removing batteries and trying to hold 3 buttons.

Hope you don't mind the input.

Guest Rednose01

Who Hoo,

Panicked for a few minutes there as it didnt recognise my mobile vendor (im unlocked on Virgin and thought it had wiped my unlock) but all seems to be working ok.

So as above it would appear to work only if extracted from the External SD Card.

Big Thanks to Frankish! :D

p.s. Ah so thats what my phone sounds like :lol:

Guest Frankish

Frankish good man this should help a lot of people. Can I point out a couple of things I discovered.

1. When you unpack rom the structure is dload/dload/update.zip so I had to open the first dload folder then copy the second dload folder that has the update in it.

2. You cannot update by putting update in internal SD card as instructions say put update in SD card and install card which says to me it must be in the external card. I tried internal and it always failed.

3. I updated by having phone on and simply imputing the *#*#2846579#*#* on the dialer keypad and when you input the last * the update starts automatically. No need to fart around removing batteries and trying to hold 3 buttons.

Hope you don't mind the input.

1. I did state this although maybe it's not clear?

2. I have already updated this after Rednose couldn't update.

3. I suppose that would be useful to add in! :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Hope this is of help to some of you and helps keep some common questions in one place.

Guest Rednose01

2 hour update, everything working great, had 1 random reboot when i was texting,but could of been anything.

Volume all sorted, its actually pretty loud, defintley a lot louder than my LG optimus one.

So yes it was worth the effort.

Carl..

Guest feckineejit

2 hour update, everything working great, had 1 random reboot when i was texting,but could of been anything.

Volume all sorted, its actually pretty loud, defintley a lot louder than my LG optimus one.

So yes it was worth the effort.

Carl..

Had a reboot myself about 20 minutes ago while texting, hopefully its not gonna happen again.

Guest eirlysbill1

In this topic there are no stupid questions please feel free to ask but at least read my full post

Boy, I'm sure glad you said this, cause I feel as dumb as a bunch of rocks because I can't figure out how to root this phone. When Paul says to extract the file directory, is this on the sd card on the phone or any directory on the pc? I'm using WinXP, SP3 and I saw in the root thread that some one found drivers for this. I tried install them and windows found and loaded the following driver, that was in the Huawei XP file (in the driver download rar): Android Sooner Single ADB interface. But it hasn't helped. Sorry for being so ignorant. But any you can give would be great.

Thanks,

Bill

PS: at least I was able to load that new B886 build :D

Edited by eirlysbill1