Help! I'm new and I can't do...

Guest Frankish

Guest Davidoff59

took me a few goes to install the b888 also. I'm not sure if my SD card didn't have enough room, under 500mb but what I did was download the file to PC, extract it and you will see a dload folder. Put this dload file on the root of your SD card and when done remove phone from PC.

Then go into settings, storage, software upgrade and follow the steps given on the phone.

I am not sure what caused the pink screen whether you need over 512mb free to flash it, or whether it needs to be downloaded to PC first. I suspect it was not enough memory.

Please note that there is a vendor zip also that you will see after extracting the zip. This is installed the same way. I didn't install this. It adds the shortcut to the pull down screen and probably more.

Sound is good, phone seems faster and smoother, also all touch seems more accurate including the bottom 3 buttons. I went straight from stock to B888 so I can't compare it to B884 or B886.

Hope this helps.

Guest Davidoff59

Please note, there is a file in the dload folder. Leave it in there and move the full slowdown folder with its contents to the root of the SD card.

Guest sparkyh0611

Done it cheers, It was the dload file inside the dload file that did it!! realised it was the the second dload file that i needed to copy over, noob......

Cheers lads

Guest anteg

Frankish good man this should help a lot of people. Can I point out a couple of things I discovered.

1. When you unpack rom the structure is dload/dload/update.zip so I had to open the first dload folder then copy the second dload folder that has the update in it.

2. You cannot update by putting update in internal SD card as instructions say put update in SD card and install card which says to me it must be in the external card. I tried internal and it always failed.

3. I updated by having phone on and simply imputing the *#*#2846579#*#* on the dialer keypad and when you input the last * the update starts automatically. No need to fart around removing batteries and trying to hold 3 buttons.

Hope you don't mind the input.

Thanks to Frankish for putting this post up & putbinoot for adding the "easy way" to install the stock ROM. This is my 1st android, until now I've been using a raspberry but I wanted more apps without spending too much, the Huawei seemed like a good entry level phone. It did seem risky to mess with a new phone but the low volume was too annoying to live with and you guys made the whole process simple. Thanks again

Guest eirlysbill1

Just install the B888 update, and went to re-root. But no joy, once in bootloader mode and then clicking on the install batch file (from superrecovery r1), the command dos window hangs up at <waiting for device>

its not as simple as ticking the USB debugging, is it? I think I've seen in the threads that you need to do that, but not 100% sure.

Thanks

PS: I went to try this on another PC this morning, and when I went to download the superrcovery zip, sophos caught a trojan. And yesterday on another computer Macfee caught a trojan as well.

When that happened yesterday, I suspected the site that the Android drivers download link pointed to (that's in the root thread 1st page, I think) cause when I entered that site a few days ago Macfee gave me a warning, but I ignored it.

Anyone else have trouble with trojans related to these download sites?

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest FrankieADZ

Just install the B888 update, and went to re-root. But no joy, once in bootloader mode and then clicking on the install batch file (from superrecovery r1), the command dos window hangs up at <waiting for device>

its not as simple as ticking the USB debugging, is it? I think I've seen in the threads that you need to do that, but not 100% sure.

i managed to do it ok, did u follow the instructions....i found this post probably the best instructions on how to do it. when u connect ur device to ur computer check if it is there in device manager...something like ADB android something..most important bit is ADB. also u need USB Debugging ticked aswell

Guest eirlysbill1

i managed to do it ok, did u follow the instructions....i found this post probably the best instructions on how to do it. when u connect ur device to ur computer check if it is there in device manager...something like ADB android something..most important bit is ADB. also u need USB Debugging ticked aswell

Yeah its probably the debugging option (should have ticked it), but thanks for the cluing me up on the device manger too.

Cheers

Guest FrankieADZ

Yeah its probably the debugging option (should have ticked it), but thanks for the cluing me up on the device manger too.

Cheers

thanks cool :)

I didnt know either until about week ago...Thanks Youtube lol

Guest Davidoff59

I doubt the virus is connected to the super recovery file as Paul is the owner of Modaco and pretty sure that its hosted here. Maybe flibblesan will mention it to Paul.

Guest eirlysbill1

Fair play, I thought these guys would be on top of it. I thought it could have come from the file share sites. 2 in 2 days, though, and I haven't been on too many other sites, lately

Thanks Frankish. I did the update to B886 yesterday; took about 15 minutes to do the update app and the vendor app. I used the Normal upgrade method and it went like a dream.

I restored all my Apps from Google Play; all went OK apart from the paid version of MM Tracker. I had used it OK on the VF stock ROM but I now get an error message (on phone): 'Your device isn't compatible with this version'; I've emailed their support team. I have been able to restore other paid apps.

I think I'll wait a bit before doing B888. It's a bit worrying if you can't go back to previous ROM's!!

I notice in the 'Software Upgrade Guideline' for B888 they specifically recommend using a Sandisk, Kingston or Kingsmax Micro SD. Could that account for others having partition problems?

Guest KasioPC

Thanks Frankish. I did the update to B886 yesterday; took about 15 minutes to do the update app and the vendor app. I used the Normal upgrade method and it went like a dream.

I restored all my Apps from Google Play; all went OK apart from the paid version of MM Tracker. I had used it OK on the VF stock ROM but I now get an error message (on phone): 'Your device isn't compatible with this version'; I've emailed their support team. I have been able to restore other paid apps.

I think I'll wait a bit before doing B888. It's a bit worrying if you can't go back to previous ROM's!!

I notice in the 'Software Upgrade Guideline' for B888 they specifically recommend using a Sandisk, Kingston or Kingsmax Micro SD. Could that account for others having partition problems?

With B888, I'm thinking it is the actual update file that changes the partitions. I believe, as someone said, perhaps to prepare for ICS. I used a Kingston and SanDisk one for all the times I've tried, and always the same result.

Guest FrankieADZ

With B888, I'm thinking it is the actual update file that changes the partitions. I believe, as someone said, perhaps to prepare for ICS. I used a Kingston and SanDisk one for all the times I've tried, and always the same result.

the only reason I said that is the fact I had to resize my partitions and all that to use ICS on my Orange San Fran :)

Regarding my previous post about installing B888, I notice that the internal 2Gb SD Card was wiped as part of the upgrade. I backed it up before I upgraded, should I restore from the back-up?

Guest FrankieADZ

Regarding my previous post about installing B888, I notice that the internal 2Gb SD Card was wiped as part of the upgrade. I backed it up before I upgraded, should I restore from the back-up?

If it was a NON B888 back up(So up backed up a B886) I'm pretty sure it won't restore as the partition sizes are different.

Guest eirlysbill1

Help, I'm not that new, and I can't do:

I simply haven't been able to root this phone, since loading the B888 rom.

I have read and re-read the instructions but it ain't happening. I did root it last week, after loading the B886 build, but I'm beginning to think:

1. it either wasn't fully done or done correctly, because I couldn't install CWM after that (had same warning icon in android system recovery, as below)
  2. or it was a fluke.

Here is what I'm doing:

• untick fastboot; tick usb de-bugging (settings/apps/dev)
  • put phone into bootloader mode (battery pull, vol down + power) no problems there
  • plug in cable, go to into r1-g300 superecovery file (extracted to desktop)
  • open the install-superrecovery-window batch file, little window pops up and I click "run", and the dos command window opens and closes so fast, that its impossible to see what it says
  • pull cable and battery
  • battery in again and vol up+ power to boot into android system recovery
  • getting an unpacking icon at first, and then a triangle with an exclamation point in it
  • in then goes into android recovery and I choose reboot by clicking the power button (interestingly, I decided to browse those menus once, but had to pull the battery cause I couldn't find any way to make it go back; did try the capacitive buttons on bottom)
  • it reboots ok, I go into app tray and no superuser app????

So, I'm thinking its a driver thing?? I've extracted and tried to install the drivers that came with the phone. I found them in the Mobile Partner thing that pops up when you connect the phone and computer normally (usb debugging off & no bootloader)

But, everytime when I go back into bootloader mode and try to point “Found new hardware” to the drivers, it can’t find any. When I browse to search the folder the driver is in, the select button greys out.

I’m guessing it can’t be that hard to do, and I have really tried, before asking on here again…

Thanks for your help,

Bill

PS: using PC running WinXP SP3

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest FrownBreaker

....I simply haven't been able to root this phone, since loading the B888 rom. ......PS: using PC running WinXP SP3

The USB drivers for Andriod are a bit of a pian under XP. It took me 3 days to get them working when trying to flash the Advent Vega, and I had issue with on a new PC doing the ZTE Blade. If you have a laptop or another machine with Win7 it would be worth trying on that. The process only takes a few seconds.

If you open a commend window (Windows Key + R then enter CMD and press Return, move to the directory with the batch file e.g. cd C:\FRED and run the update command) you will then see the error.

Alternatively add a pause command at the end of the Batch file to keep the window open.

- Frankish would adding a pause command to the batch file be ok? We could at least see the error message?

Guest eirlysbill1

nice to know its just not me then... sort of

at least I know its a driver problem, I'm tempted to use the solution below again, BUT, Macfee gave me a warning on the link below, and then a day or two later, it picked up a trojan. So, I'm not sure I want to try it again (I guess the virus could have come from anywhere, but I'm not sure I want to give it another try)

Here is the post with this link (from: Paul's root thread)

Managed to root on win xp sp3 using these drivers: http://depositfiles....files/2fyv2nqq1

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!

And, I tried them and did root the phone last week.

Another person posted this link http://developer.and...dk/oem-usb.html regerding winXP drivers. I'll try and study it, but a lot of this stuff is lost on me.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

@ frownbreaker, thanks again, but I don't have access to a W7 machine, but I do have a friend who has an apple? Is that any good? If it is, what happens the next time I upgrade the rom and need to root it again? Cheers

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest nearby

hi

does anyone else have a CD G: drive open up when plugging in there usb to connect the phone to a pc, because of this i cant root or add CWM as this G: drive opens up when trying flash either of them. please help im a complete newbie to all this. thanks

Guest eirlysbill1

Hi All,

Regarding Adb drivers for WinXP Sp3, when I loaded those drivers from depositfile (2 posts) above last week, I pointed the pc at that file and the only one it installed was: android sooner single adb interface.

Because, I was worried that there was a virus attached to it, I dumped it all a day or two later after rooted the phone the first time.

So, my question is: if I just search and download that driver on its own. Say from here: http://www.radarsync.com/drivers/d191436-android_sooner_single_adb_interface will it work? Does the driver have to be for a specific devices or is this a common driver that works with loads of android devices. And, what's the possible risks in trying it?

Thanks again

Guest FrownBreaker

nice to know its just not me then... sort of ............@ frownbreaker, thanks again, but I don't have access to a W7 machine, but I do have a friend who has an apple? Is that any good? If it is, what happens the next time I upgrade the rom and need to root it again? Cheers

I think the Mac might be an option.

I know Pauls Root scripts work on Windows and Linux. I think Mac might be the third option?

I'd get rid of the trojan / virus first. You might need to wipe WinXP and start again. The plus side your USB drivers will be reset!

I would not recommend doing anything on a compromised PC. Take it off the network and format. Restore new OS and set of backups.

My Win7 machine mumbles something about an Asus ADB driver! but it connects and works in a few seconds..

I've wasted 6 or more days (Advent Vegas x2, SF x6, OMCarlo x1) on the Windows USB driver issues for ADB. Happy to report instant sucess on win7 with the G500!

Perhaps a a small Linux install might be the way to go if you are rebuilding your machine. Ubuntu is great for first time use.

Also for browsing make sure you use firefox or chrome with adblock and noscript when downloading stuff.

CCleaner is also a must. I set it to delete everything except the cookies I want. It is set to run on startup. Good for Quidco resets too!

Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest FrownBreaker

the only reason I said that is the fact I had to resize my partitions and all that to use ICS on my Orange San Fran smile.png

Are you using Tilal's ICS on the SF? I will hand over my G300 to the Mrs and have sold my SF (ran Tilal's ICS- installed Atomic Dolby for sale) and OMC this week. So ICS on her SF will be my "new" phone in a short while.

Guest FrankieADZ

Are you using Tilal's ICS on the SF? I will hand over my G300 to the Mrs and have sold my SF (ran Tilal's ICS- installed Atomic Dolby for sale) and OMC this week. So ICS on her SF will be my "new" phone in a short while.

i did for a short while yes :).

it wasnt bad at all when I last tried it, but...i went back to CM7 as it was more stable and battery life seem to last that bit longer :)

Guest eirlysbill1

I'd get rid of the trojan / virus first. You might need to wipe WinXP and start again. The plus side your USB drivers will be reset!

I would not recommend doing anything on a compromised PC. Take it off the network and format. Restore new OS and set of backups.

I think the trojans were caught and destroyed by both a/v programmes (two different pc's) Perhaps I'll run another A/V scan and cc cleaner too. Hope I don't have to re-install windows. Never did it before :wacko:

I'll wait to see if anyone else comes up with some drivers that work. Pretty happy with the B888 build. Good responsiveness to touch and the volume is fixed. BTW, can't change it back anyway, so I better be happy with it :P Cheers

Edited by eirlysbill1