Help! I'm new and I can't do...

Guest Frankish

Guest Davidoff59

Mine also installed the Asus adb driver or that's what it was called anyway. It can take a while to find them.

Firstly thanks to all you guys at Modaco for all the advice and guidance you've given to us noobies.

I used ‘App Backup & Restore’ to back up my apps before I upgraded to R886. It doesn’t back-up copyrighted (paid for) apps so I tried to use ‘My Android Apps’ on Google Play (as I had done before on my rooted, 2.3.5 SF) anyway it failed to restore any of my paid apps. I contacted Google Play Store support about it and this is their reply:

Thanks for providing details about the issue you're experiencing on Google Play. In reviewing the information you've provided as well as our records, it appears that this issue is related to the fact that you're not using the authorized ROM that came with your device - using any ROM besides the factory default may cause the device to have limited functionality and may cause unexpected behaviour with the Google Play Store app. Unfortunately, we won't be able to troubleshoot this issue because the issue appears to be unique to the way your device is configured, and we can't recreate the issue with our devices here. To resolve the issue, I recommend using the authorized Android operating system provided by your manufacturer that can be obtained from their website or your carrier.

I had no problems prior to the upgrade, so unless the app developers can come up with a workaround I will need to go back to the stock VF ROM and then update to R885. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I really would like to stick with R886 because I use one of the apps for biking and walking; it uses OS mapping so I'll have to revert to paper maps!

Edited by Guest

Guest eirlysbill1

Mine also installed the Asus adb driver or that's what it was called anyway. It can take a while to find them.

Thanks both,

I searched for this asus driver, but everything I found had to do with W7.

I did find xp drivers for the Huawei Pulse 2.1 and the folder contains the Android Sooner Single ADB Interface driver. I'm sure that's the one that loaded last week, but that I later dumped because of the virus alert.

Is there any harm in trying the Pulse one. Will it just not install and/or work, or could it mess up the phone?

Thanks again

Guest anteg

Hope this is the right section to ask about APN settings

All worked ok out of box, unlock went well & phone accepted my tesco mobile sim & automatically set mobile network settings. I installed the 886 rom to fix the sound problem & that went ok (even got rid of the vodafone bloatware :D ) but i think the APN is wrong

I've now got O2 Pay&Go (payandgo.o2.co.uk) and cant do any mms os data unless in a wifi area. I'm sure the APN was prepay.tesco-mobile.com before, I've tried adding a new APN, but after i entered all the details nothing happened. Is there a "complete novice guide to applying the tesco payg APN settings" somewhere? If not can anybody with a tesco payg sim let me know what the settings should be & I'll have another go at updating it

Thanks

Guest Frankish

Not sure on this being the best method but if applying manually doesn't seem to work...

Reinstall voda rom where data worked. Use "APN Backup and Restore" from market to backup apns. Reinstall B886, download or restore APN Backup and Restore app, select delete apns. Restore apns from backup.

Its the long way but so is manually tapping settings in once you find them ha ha.

Guest Davidoff59

You need to make sure that the new apn has a green tick next to it to show the phone that that's the apn to use. I also always delete any apns that are not being used.

Guest anteg

Just found out that I was being thick, I didn't save after entering the new settings which explains why they disappeared!

I've just entered them again - should the GPRS logo come on?

If this fails I'll try the reinstall +deleting unused APNs as suggested. Ta

Guest eirlysbill1

Thanks Davidoff59, Frownbreaker & Feckin, I sussed it now. The phone's rooted and CWM is installed. It was a driver issue.

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest feckineejit

Thanks Davidoff59, Frownbreaker & Feckin, I sussed it now. The phone's rooted and CWM is installed. It was a driver issue.

Hello eirlysbill1 where did you get the drivers from to get everything sorted, as i have my phone rooted, B888 on it, CWR on it, but my adb wont remount as it seem to be missing the phones usb driver.

Guest DVDeus

Or you can manually edit the apns_conf.xml file (I think that's the filename); edit with RootExplorer or copy to SD and edit in windows, then replace with rootExplorer.

Guest eirlysbill1

Hello eirlysbill1 where did you get the drivers from to get everything sorted, as i have my phone rooted, B888 on it, CWR on it, but my adb wont remount as it seem to be missing the phones usb driver.

Managed to root on win xp sp3 using these drivers: http://depositfiles....files/2fyv2nqq1

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!

I had them the whole time on my pc, after the first root last week :wacko: (I had rooted it, then installed B888, but couldn't re-root) There were two problems.

1) I was working on 3 different computers and lost track of which one I had the drivers on. Duh.

2) During this time, two trojans were caught by 2 different a/v programmes on 2 different computers (this caused me to not trust these files, and I started looking elsewhere)

When I opened that link above, Macfee kicked up an warning, which I ignored (but shouldn't have). At the time I was on a borrowed laptop and I freaked a bit when a trojan was caught soon after. But it seemed too much like coincidence, that first I got a warning and then the a/v caught a trojan. The good thing is that it was caught and dealt with.

I really searched for other drivers this week but no joy. So I tried the drivers again, on my old pc, thinking I'll take the risk on my own machine. And it worked this time, and Panda a/v, which was is on my pc didn't flag a problem.

All I can say is: if you are going to install those drivers, then you have to know the risk, and at best you ought to have a good anti-virus programme that is up to date, before trying it.

Hope that helps

PS: that link, from goodfella, is off the first page of Paul's root thread

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest DeviousScissors

Is there any way to change the the colour scheme in the email app, or is this something that we need to wait for CM9 or ICS to fix? Grey on black is really hard to read.

Guest anteg

Or you can manually edit the apns_conf.xml file (I think that's the filename); edit with RootExplorer or copy to SD and edit in windows, then replace with rootExplorer.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm finally sorted & have posted the settings HERE for anybody else who needs them

Guest twinkletino

Hi, total newbie to android phones and purchased the G300 a few days ago online. I paid Voda to unlock the phone put in my orange sim and theres no internet connection. Ive been phoning Voda and Orange for 3 days now about this. They are passing me from one to the other... one says they cant do anything as its not their phone and dont seem to know the settings for that phone and Voda said theres nothing they can do and to go back to orange shop. Im just about to throw in the towel and return as I havent a clue about phones and all the techy stuff which is why I paid the shop to unlock thinking everything would be done for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Guest punjabi

I hope this helps...

Seeing as a few people seem to be having problems with APN settings :-

To input a new APN click "MENU" on front of phone, click "settings" on the bottom right of the screen

click "Wireless and Networks" at the top of the screen, Click "Mobile Networks" at the bottom of the screen,

Click "Access Point Names" at the bottom of the screen. Click "MENU" on the front of the phone and select "New APN" on the screen,

Enter details of network settings below and then click "MENU" on the front of phone and "Save"

Hope this helps some people

Regards to all Billyhl.

Settings taken from unlocked-dongle website to help people out.

Whichever mobile network you use, try setting the APN to 'Dynamic' initially and use the appropriate username \ password below. If it doesn't work change to 'Static' and manually enter the APN setting.

All settings are case sensitive!

Vodafone

APN (contract): internet

APN (PAYG): pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username: web

Password: web

Orange

APN: orangeinternet

Username: leave blank

Password: leave blank

O2

APN (contract): mobile.o2.co.uk

APN (PAYG): m-bb.o2.co.uk

T-Mobile

APN: general.t-mobile.uk

Three

APN: 3internet

Tesco Mobile (uses the O2 network)

APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com

Username: tescowap

Password: password

Virgin Mobile (uses the T-Mobile network)

APN: goto.virginmobile.uk

Username: user

BT Mobile (uses the Vodafone network)

APN: btmobile2.bt.com

Username: bt

Password: bt

ASDA Mobile (uses the Vodafone network)

APN: asdamobiles.co.uk

Guest twinkletino

Ahh thank you so much punjabi for your much needed help Im really grateful and will try this taking my time...Im really no good at this stuff but hopefully everything will be ok. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Guest punjabi

Ahh thank you so much punjabi for your much needed help Im really grateful and will try this taking my time...Im really no good at this stuff but hopefully everything will be ok. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Hey I hope it works for you... You're welcome!

Guest twinkletino

Than you...thank you...thank you punjabi IT WORKED yeah. Will not be returning my phone now :D . Just have to read up on the sound issue now and see if I can fix that :o

Guest punjabi

That's simple enough.

Just go to settings on your phone -> about phone -> and upgrade firmware. Apply the new upgrade and you should be done after that and it fixes the sound issue.

Guest twinkletino

That's simple enough.

Just go to settings on your phone -> about phone -> and upgrade firmware. Apply the new upgrade and you should be done after that and it fixes the sound issue.

Thank you punjabi Ive just done that too and volume is so much better. Thanks so much for your replys and helping me...youve been great!!!!!! Cheers!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Guest punjabi

Thank you punjabi Ive just done that too and volume is so much better. Thanks so much for your replys and helping me...youve been great!!!!!! Cheers!!!!!

:D :D :D :

Hi Twinkletino

You might want to install this B888 ROM from Huawei - it's much faster and more responsive also the Vodafone bloat ware is all removed.

The instructions are in the rar file, I've installed it on my phone and it works super smooth!

http://www.uloz.to/x...001c185b888-rar

MediaFire mirror: http://www.mediafire...navhb71095je2fh

Link to document included: https://docs.google....5F-g8BSLF0/edit

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

Ok, I've successfully rooted my phone now without any problems. Got the Super User Icon. :D

Now I want to ask what program, etc do you use to get rid of the Vodafone bloatware? I want to start off by getting rid of all the trial games like Sims 3 Trial, Texas Hold'Em, etc

Which program did you guys use to get rid of them?

Guest feckineejit

Ok, I've successfully rooted my phone now without any problems. Got the Super User Icon. :D

Now I want to ask what program, etc do you use to get rid of the Vodafone bloatware? I want to start off by getting rid of all the trial games like Sims 3 Trial, Texas Hold'Em, etc

Which program did you guys use to get rid of them?

why don't you just install the B888 update that removes all the vodafone crap!!