Huawei G300 - weak and inconsistent mobile signal strength

Guest billilo

Guest rosco-85

I was also experiencing the exact same issue, where i would have a decent signal when the phone was lying flat and then it would drop upon picking it up. If it was somewhere with an already weak 2g signal, then sometimes it would drop out altogether - then i wouldnt come back until i restarted the phone.

However for some truely bizarre reason, removing the plastic back cover seems to fix this for me... this is obviously not ideal, but i have a silicon case also - so the battery, sim etc ate still covered/protected.

Can some of you guys try this and tell me if you have the same outcome...?

Edited by rosco-85

Guest infobleep

I had a Huawei Glaze until I dropped it and the screen stopped working correctly. Now i am with O2 and when the mobile signal was good, I had no problems with the Blaze.

So I bought the Ascent G300 and unlocked it. I entered in all the O2 details for the web and it accepted them. However when I switch in the 3G or even limit it to 2G, it connects; loses the signal; connects losses the sinal for a time; connects etc. etc. thus I cannot get online properly because as soon as I try to, I loses the signal.

It goes 2 bars, 1 bar each side and then none and repeats that are frequent intervals with the longest time being spent with. I bars but still H or 3G.

This is happening everywhere I go. Central Londom, outside of London. Places where I got a signal with the Blaze. I first tried this yesterday and put it down to O2 but it's no different today and I was in different places today.

I now suspect the phone. If my details were wrong I would expect not to be able to connect full stop but it is connection only to them lose it.

I am also getting frequency syncing messages in the top status bar, despite auto sync being off. If I switch in auto sync it seems to give me a stronger signal because the H goes to 3 bars. However it may no actually get holding a stronger signal behind the scenes.

I have done an OTA update to the latest official ROM, the one ending in 88.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or suggestions?

Is it may phone. Is it hardware related or firmware/software related? Is it something I've done when entering the 3G settings. I can't see how it being on O2 and not Vodafone should matter.

Guest infobleep

I had a Huawei Glaze until I dropped it and the screen stopped working correctly. Now i am with O2 and when the mobile signal was good, I had no problems with the Blaze.

So I bought the Ascent G300 and unlocked it. I entered in all the O2 details for the web and it accepted them. However when I switch in the 3G or even limit it to 2G, it connects; loses the signal; connects losses the sinal for a time; connects etc. etc. thus I cannot get online properly because as soon as I try to, I loses the signal.

It goes 2 bars, 1 bar each side and then none and repeats that are frequent intervals with the longest time being spent with. I bars but still H or 3G.

This is happening everywhere I go. Central Londom, outside of London. Places where I got a signal with the Blaze. I first tried this yesterday and put it down to O2 but it's no different today and I was in different places today.

I now suspect the phone. If my details were wrong I would expect not to be able to connect full stop but it is connection only to them lose it.

I am also getting frequency syncing messages in the top status bar, despite auto sync being off. If I switch in auto sync it seems to give me a stronger signal because the H goes to 3 bars. However it may no actually get holding a stronger signal behind the scenes.

I have done an OTA update to the latest official ROM, the one ending in 88.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or suggestions?

Is it may phone. Is it hardware related or firmware/software related? Is it something I've done when entering the 3G settings. I can't see how it being on O2 and not Vodafone should matter.

There must be some faulty batches going about because my data on giffgaff is rock solid.

Also,when I had blade & skate,my wifi constantly dropped in the next room,but with g300 it has not dropped once in any place in the house.

Guest Smiff2

jikobutsu, do you notice bars changing rapidly when you grab the phone vs put it down on a desk?

Edited by Smiff2

No sorry my signal bars are not influenced in anyway by holding,even if I cover the phone with both hands the signal does not change.

The 3g flashes on and off,but thats normal as it shows data in/out.

Guest infobleep

There is. Chance that I am using the wrong settings as in wrong username / password.

There is no error message regarding the username being wrong though it I typed in a nonsence username and it still accepted it although I wasn't connecting.

I disn't know the two bars were data in and out. When I get a strong signal previous both bars would light up.

Guest infobleep

The settings I'm using are:

Mobile Web 

Name: O2 Mobile Web 

APN: mobile.O2.co.uk 

UserName: o2web

Password: password

MCC: 234 

MNC: 10 

APN Type: default 

IP Bersion: IPv4

And Pay Monthly

Name: o2 Pay Monthly

APN: wap.o2.co.uk 

UserName: o2wap 

Proxy: 193.113.200.195

MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 

MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195 

MMS Port: 8080 

APN Type: mms

Authentication type:PAP

iP Version: IPv4

I also tried web for password and user name on O2 mobile settings.

Guest infobleep

Issue now resolved.

It was an incorrect and out of date password and username.

Username: Vertigo

Password: password.

I got the o2web user name from their web site but I found that by browsing google rather than searching on their site.

I would have thought the current details would have been on o2's Web Site and if they are, that Google would pick them up during their indexing.

I got the details file a work colleague who had an iPhone on O2.

Hopefully this information wil be of use to others. Here it is again but this time with correct username. I've not tested the wap. iPhone's use idata

Guest infobleep

Issue now resolved.

It was an incorrect and out of date password and username.

Username: Vertigo

Password: password.

I got the o2web user name from their web site but I found that by browsing google rather than searching on their site.

I would have thought the current details would have been on o2's Web Site and if they are, that Google would pick them up during their indexing.

I got the details file a work colleague who had an iPhone on O2.

Hopefully this information wil be of use to others. Here it is again but this time with correct username. I've not tested the mms password/username. iPhone's use idata.o2.co.uk both both mobile and mms. I don't use mms which is why I've not tested it.

Name: O2 Mobile Web 

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk 

UserName: Vertigo

APN Type: default Y

And Post Pay, 

Name: O2 Pay monthly

APN: wap.o2.co.uk 

UserName: o2wap 

MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 

MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195 

MMS Port: 8080 

APN Type: mms

Guest Ascend

Bought the G300 a couple of days ago from Vodafone to replace my Samsung Wave. (fed up with Bada!)

First impressions were very good but now I have noticed that the signal strength cycles from 3 bars to complete disconnect and then back again. (At home)

I am on "3" network and also have a Galaxy Tab on same network. The Tab sits on 3 bars rock solid when the G300 is cycling.

Very disappointing as I love the phone.

Build Number is: U8815V100R001CO2B885

Guest Maximus9

Hey guys,

I'm having the exact same issue with my G300. Bought it online and unlocked it with a code from ebay so I can use it with a Giffgaff sim. Seems to miss every 5th or so call and text message in a rather inconsistent and random manner. Took it back to Vodafone. They sent it off to get fixed, but seemed to think that unlocking it from a 3rd party voided any warranty from Vodafone or Huawei.

Seems a bit rubbish to me, especially since the shop assistant that I collected the phone from (ordered it to a store) said to go to some random shop and get it unlocked cause it was cheaper.

Anyways, have to wait now to see what they come back with. Not quite sure what I'll do if they decide to charge me/can't fix it...

Wow, that even more good news... what happened in the end? Did they honored the warranty ?

Guest Smiff2

i would start mentioning the sale of goods act.. IANAL but no way is it legal for them not to replace/refund you just because you unlocked it..

Wow, that even more good news... what happened in the end? Did they honored the warranty ?

Kind of. They said they updated the software on it and that it has solved the problem, it hasn't. The build version is now ...B885 (not sure what it started off on however). The phone still does what it did before, particularly in the house. I put both the G300 and another HTC, both on Giffgaff side by side in my room and every now and then the G300 just sits there, not taking texts and forwarding calls to voice mail. Stuck in a Vodafone sim and it does the same.

Looking closer at it, the signal actually seems to be unaffected during these times, so I don't really know what's going on. Took the phone back to Vodafone again after the "repair" today, and they said that they can't replace the handset because the warranty has been made void by not unlocking it with them. Apparently my best option is to talk to Huawei directly and see if they can still honour the 1 year manufactures warranty.

I've been reluctant to put a custom ROM on the phone, as I'm not sure what this will mean for trying to return the phone. But for now, I would warn everyone to make sure their phone is working 100% before getting it unlocked, or at least to get Vodafone to unlock it, as it may help to stop huge headaches later down the line. Sad but true :P

Guest Smiff2

yes they need reminding of UK law.. the contract is between you and the seller. if the phone doesn't work properly on their network, you are entitled to replacement within x days (i think 30?). how it works on other networks is not relevant unless you prevented it from working on vodaphone in some way. seriously don't put up with that. if it's outside that period things may be different i'm not sure. start using words like "fit for purpose". and ask to speak to a manager.

Edited by Smiff2

Guest Ascend

How do Voda know who unlocked it? There have been quite a few reports of PAYG phones being delivered directly from Voda already unlocked?

Edited by Ascend

Guest Davidoff59

How do Voda know who unlocked it? There have been quite a few reports of PAYG phones being delivered directly from Voda already unlocked?

They can find out if they unlocked it going by the imei I would imagine.

Guest fr0do

If 3rd party unlocks are fully legal, as we have to assume they are, and the method used is identical to that used by Vodafone themselves, I don't understand on what grounds Coda could complain about this. Your agreement with them doesn't change.

Just an update:

I noticed that the "Mobile Network type" under settings -> status was constantly cycling from HSDPA to UMT. Last week, my girlfriend put in the APN settings for Giffgaff and from that day on, it's been on HSDPA. I've been using it for about a week now, and so far I haven't had any more issues with :) . Hopefully it stays that way. Thanks for the advice guys, will mention the above if I get any more trouble from it!

Guest Maximus9

The manufacturer's warranty is 24 month actually. I would contact them anyway, just to see their response.

Keep us posted!

Can't believe Vodafone is such a cr*p company that would make any sort of connection between unlocking and warranty.

• 1 month later...
Guest ryan2801

Same signal problems for me. Had 2 phones now and signal is erratic and unusable on both. I popped the same Vodafone sim on my other phone and signal was full strength. Definitely a problem with the G300. Shame, nice budget smartphone, but it's of no use to me if I cant even make/receive calls.

Edited by ryan2801