Kernel Experiment - 4.0 updated 2012.05.28

Guest ipaq3870

Guest nikkotsoi

s***

i got all my sms lost suddenly!!

i heard the vibrating sound of receiving sms just before i went bathing

after i finished bathing

all sms are goneee!!! No way to recover ?

by the way i will run the terminal again to check with modules are loading,, quite busy this week

Guest ipaq3870

i got all my sms lost suddenly!!

Hmm... you have filesystem corruption..... so funny things can happen as a result of data loss and files get trashed. If you have a linux or linux vm around, you can try to manually do a fsck after you reboot it back to WinMo. Believe if you ignore this problem - more strange things will happen until the fs is so corrupted that your phone will no longer boots to your home screen. Yes, it happened to me few months ago. It turned out to be my linux box automounted the same mounted root partition on phone when it's connected via USB, and thus creating a mess with the fs. Then I immediately turned off automount on my desktop, and turn on exporting lun0 on phone by commenting out the following line in init.rc:

#write /sys/devices/platform/s3c6410-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file /dev/block/mmcblk0

Guest nikkotsoi

Hmm... you have filesystem corruption..... so funny things can happen as a result of data loss and files get trashed. If you have a linux or linux vm around, you can try to manually do a fsck after you reboot it back to WinMo. Believe if you ignore this problem - more strange things will happen until the fs is so corrupted that your phone will no longer boots to your home screen. Yes, it happened to me few months ago. It turned out to be my linux box automounted the same mounted root partition on phone when it's connected via USB, and thus creating a mess with the fs. Then I immediately turned off automount on my desktop, and turn on exporting lun0 on phone by commenting out the following line in init.rc:

#write /sys/devices/platform/s3c6410-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file /dev/block/mmcblk0

ohthx

so i should do a chkdsk to fix the error

and run your line to prevent the same error occurs again ?

Guest ipaq3870

so i should do a chkdsk to fix the error

and run your line to prevent the same error occurs again ?

chkdsk is for FAT filesystem, and is of no use to Linux's ext4 partitions, which needs a command called fsck. Do you have a Linux box or virtual machine around? It would be much easier to fix things in a Linux box...

Guest ipaq3870

3.0 AHB Overclocked & CPU Underclocked & 24bpp Framebuffer (superseded)

CPU: 667Mhz / AHB: 166Mhz / 141MB free memory / 24bpp display

Build No: a3b8d7f-866

Note: always watch first post for latest builds in case this build has been superseded.

3.0-a3b8d7f-866-667mhz-166mhz-141mb-24bpp.part1.rar

3.0-a3b8d7f-866-667mhz-166mhz-141mb-24bpp.part2.rar

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest ipaq3870

3.0 Even more memory (superseded)

CPU: 667Mhz / AHB: 166Mhz / 160MB free memory / 24bpp display

Build No: a3b8d7f-867

Note: always watch first post for latest builds in case this build has been superseded.

3.0-a3b8d7f-867-667mhz-166mhz-160mb-24bpp.part1.rar

3.0-a3b8d7f-867-667mhz-166mhz-160mb-24bpp.part2.rar

Edited by ipaq3870

Guest nikkotsoi

chkdsk is for FAT filesystem, and is of no use to Linux's ext4 partitions, which needs a command called fsck. Do you have a Linux box or virtual machine around? It would be much easier to fix things in a Linux box...

i have ubuntu only

Guest synescu

3.0 Vanilla build

CPU: 800Mhz / AHB: 133Mhz / 141MB free memory / 16bpp display

Build No: a3b8d7f-865

Hi I tried version above but it seems to be the same story with wifi error.otherwise everything seems ok even faster I think it's just my impression :D good job I hope to not lose your enthusiasm. It seems that you have left only one on here with real knowledge that can continue devs work and give one more chance to our phones Edited by synescu

Guest Pathwalker

hi i was searching on google and i've found that jetdroid gingerbread (for samsung jet s800x) is working fine on our phones but it needs to be developed for i8000 users, could anyone give it a try??

Guest jingang

3.0 Even more memory

why?it is still 83mhz with 3.0 you update?and there still flicker???

Guest ErcanPolat

I installed 800 Mhz version. Wifi and GSM is working. I tried 667 Mhz version before. It has network and wifi error.

Guest ipaq3870

I installed 800 Mhz version. Wifi and GSM is working. I tried 667 Mhz version before. It has network and wifi error.

Do you mean that you only got "network & wifi" error in 667Mhz? in 3.0 builds or 2.0? By "network error", do you mean you can't get any phone GSM signals?

Hi I tried version above but it seems to be the same story with wifi error.

wifi still error and screen flickering @@

Thanks all for the testing. The wifi is really a sticky issue. Strange thing is I never encounter any problem with it. I know it's rather difficult to do some logging - but I'll need that information to debug. To ease collecting these info, I wrote a log multiplexer script that collect both the kernel log and the android log.

1. Download the attached script

2. Rename it to mlog

3. Put it in root directory "/" of your phone

4. Do a chmod +x /mlog in terminal

5. You are ready to collect log in the future - the above is one-time procedures.

Before starting wifi, fire up a terminal, and type /mlog and wait few seconds. Then you can start wifi, and wait for a few minutes for the log to collect. Then you can go back to the terminal and press "q". It will write a logfile to /sdcard/log.yymmdd-HHMMSS.txt. It only contains the log segment since mlog is started. Post it and hopefully I'll be able to find a solution. This script could also be used for other scenarios too.

mlog.txt

Guest ErcanPolat

Do you mean that you only got "network & wifi" error in 667Mhz? in 3.0 builds or 2.0? By "network error", do you mean you can't get any phone GSM signals?

After a clean installation I installed 3.0 build 667 Mhz (I just wanted to see 24 bit difference) But "No service" + "Wifi Error" exists: Then I copied 800 Mhz zimage and modules(3.0 build). Now I am using it.

Guest ipaq3870

After a clean installation I installed 3.0 build 667 Mhz (I just wanted to see 24 bit difference) But "No service" + "Wifi Error" exists: Then I copied 800 Mhz zimage and modules(3.0 build). Now I am using it.

Can you also do a mlog as describe in post #64?

WiFi still error

Hmmm... you are hitting one of the usb bug that I am chasing after. Anyway, can you try the following:

1. disconnect USB cable

2. reboot

3. install this new terminal emulator (for later steps)

4. open terminal and start mlog script

5. press menu key, and select "new window"

6. run "insmod -f /modules/libertasspi.ko"

7. wait for 30 seconds, and note any error messages

8. swipe the screen to your right to get back to original window 1

9. press q to stop mlog

10. post the resulting .txt and any error message you see in step 7.

Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this.

Guest ErcanPolat

I have noticed that when I use video recording on winmo (record to sdcard) my android installation corrupted. It happened two times. I am not sure it is possible.

Edit : @ipaq: Because of corrupted installation i couldn't make mlog.

Edited by ErcanPolat

Guest synescu

3.0 Even more memory

/mlog +insmod -f /modules/libertasspi.ko

log.120526-074337.txt

Guest ipaq3870

I have noticed that when I use video recording on winmo (record to sdcard) my android installation corrupted. It happened two times. I am not sure it is possible.

It's not impossible, but unlikely - since winmo and linux use their own partitions. The only slightly possible case that I can think of is partition overlap. Do a "fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0" if you reinstalled android, or "fdisk -l /dev/sd?" when phone is connected to a Linux box via USB and phone is in winmo with USB mass storage mode, or in your host in windows use something like partition magic to verify if you have no overlapped partitions in your partition tables.

So what do you mean by corrupted installation? Android couldn't boot? Hanged at where?

Guest ipaq3870

/mlog +insmod -f /modules/libertasspi.ko

It seems to me your hardware and modules files are okay. These are the lines that I am looking for which is a good sign:

<6>[  474.266237](		 insmod) libertas_spi: Libertas SPI driver

<4>[  475.760329](		 insmod) Sanya: Power On wlan

<6>[  475.761038](		 insmod) libertas_spi spi1.0: firmware: requesting libertas/gspi8686_hlp.bin

<6>[  476.158740](		 insmod) libertas_spi spi1.0: firmware: requesting libertas/gspi8686.bin

<6>[  476.455511](		 insmod) libertas: 00:21:19:ba:90:ac, fw 9.70.10p0, cap 0x00000303

<4>[  476.463046](		 insmod) txpower:18 min:4 max:20

<6>[  476.473278](		 insmod) libertas: wlan0: Marvell WLAN 802.11 adapter

I think we need a few more rounds of these - so instead I will outline the troubleshooting procedures here so that you can try it all yourselves and others might find it useful. It will be a bit lengthy though, mind you. First we need to understand how the wifi stuff are put together in Android. 1. Kernel has a compiled in wifi driver call Libertas, which loads at boot (normally it won't spit any message in kernel log) 2. When you press the wifi on in the android interface, the android framework will load a second piece of driver named "libertasspi" spi is the SPI bus interface where the hardware card is connected. This is equivilent to you running "insmod /modules/libertasspi.ko" in a terminal. When you do a dmesg you'll see the above quoted message if the module is successfully loaded, together with the wlan firmware. Any error will show up in the kernel log (using the command "dmesg" or my mlog script.) 3. Note that there are kind of modules versioning problem - i.e. you use a different set of module files than that is required by that particular kernel zImage. That won't work - though sometimes, you might get it working by doing a "insmod -f /modules/libertasspi.ko" - the "f" parameter tells the kernel to load the module by force. Not a good thing in general - but it might provide you will more useful error messages nevertheless. It is noteworthy that android won't do a -f, so if the module is for a different zImage, it won't even attempt to forcefully load it, and report a "Wifi error" right away. Then a couple of things will happen fast here. See init.rc:

service wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/data/misc/wifi/bcm_supp.conf

disabled																	

oneshot																	 

service dhcpcd /system/bin/dhcpcd -BKL wlan0								   

disabled								

oneshot								 

on property:init.svc.wpa_supplicant=running	  

start dhcpcd							   

4. Android will then try to start the wpa_supplicant which was originally used for connecting WPA protected networks - but Google hacked it and turn it into a android<->hardware communication software and to issue wifi hardware commands via this piece of software. When it runs you'll see something like this in kernel log:

[ 1028.016935](		   init) init: starting 'wpa_supplicant'

[ 1033.297673]( wpa_supplicant) libertas: Unknown PRIVATE command RXFILTER-ADD 0, ignored

[ 1033.298463]( wpa_supplicant) libertas: Unknown PRIVATE command RXFILTER-ADD 1, ignored

[ 1033.299200]( wpa_supplicant) libertas: Unknown PRIVATE command RXFILTER-ADD 3, ignored

[ 1033.299933]( wpa_supplicant) libertas: Unknown PRIVATE command RXFILTER-START, ignored

[ 1033.301539]( wpa_supplicant) libertas: Unknown PRIVATE command BTCOEXSCAN-STOP, ignored

They are harmless and is an evidence that wpa_supplicant is running. As you can see from the command line parameter you'll see it expects a config file /data/misc/wifi/bcm_supp.conf This file could be troublesome. I usually delete it (after backup of course) and let it generate a fresh copy. You can use the following commands in a terminal and reboot afterwards:

mv /data/misc/wifi/bcm_supp.conf /data/misc/wifi/bcm_supp.conf.bak

chmod g+w /data/misc/wifi/

5. The next one in init.rc is a dhcp client to obtain IP address when being connected to a wifi SSID. Nothing special here - it's just will run and directly exits when you have no network joined, and thus you'll see those lines "untracked pid XXXX exited" all the time. Normal kernel message would look like:

[ 2392.631228](		   init) init: processing action 0x2f658 (property:init.svc.wpa_supplicant=running)

[ 2392.631806](		   init) init: starting 'dhcpcd'

6. Back to android - normally, you'll need to configure some settings in Wi-Fi settings->Menu->Advanced->Regulatory domain. Also, make sure you don't use static IP in the same page. 7. Android should now be scanning for available APs. Trouble is sometimes it won't scan due to some weired reasons. Do the following in a terminal:

ifconfig wlan0 up

iwlist scan

and you will get the scan results in the terminal, and soon appear in the android UI. It should be almost everything.

If you turn on wifi in android and receive the "wifi error" in the user interface, it's probably related to the driver/firmware loading. It could be anything like missing file, corrupted file, mismatched file, kernel bugs, file and directory permissions, etc. It should be quick to get into that error state and is usally within seconds. But if you are not receiving "wifi error", it might be one or more steps outlined above has problems. Try to make sure the config files (including init.rc) has the relavant sections, and the files it requests are in place and are accessible.

Lastly, a quick way is to reload the original cm beta2 kernel and modules and see if it works well or not. Hope this piece is useful for you all.

Guest ipaq3870

BTW, I finally get my act together and make kexec working. It can reboot the phone without going back to WinMo altogether. It will be useful to someone who reboots regularly - like me, rebooting almost 30 times a day for trying out new kernel builds. :P After that I will be completely offline until probably some time in July.

Guest ErcanPolat

So what do you mean by corrupted installation? Android couldn't boot? Hanged at where?

After Android on Omnia logo. I see color bands.

Guest synescu

ok, I made a new clean install with all modules already replaced in ext4.tar.gaz archive. and wifi is working. I think that goes for all versions

Guest zappazz

BTW, I finally get my act together and make kexec working. It can reboot the phone without going back to WinMo altogether. It will be useful to someone who reboots regularly - like me, rebooting almost 30 times a day for trying out new kernel builds. :P After that I will be completely offline until probably some time in July.

Does it means you are going to release a new kernel today/tomorrow?

i usually reboot many times, so i like it :)

Anyway, thanks for continuing to upgrade Omnia2droid!