Kernel Experiment - 4.0 updated 2012.05.28

Guest ipaq3870

Guest TRoN_1

It seems people are still interested in the Omnia 2. I gave up on it a few months ago. If anyone wants mine and lives in Montreal, let me know...it's all yours. Don't live in Montreal, it's yours for the shipping.

Guest dpspcdrgn

It seems people are still interested in the Omnia 2. I gave up on it a few months ago. If anyone wants mine and lives in Montreal, let me know...it's all yours. Don't live in Montreal, it's yours for the shipping.

I Live in Alberta and can not afford to buy another smartphone but need one for my Wife. I would be more than happy to pay shipping to have another o2. :)

Edited by dpspcdrgn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bibubibu

halo ipaq i found out bugs they are:

1)the camera's options small icon can't display well..

2) the cyanogenmod widget of 2g/3g button can't turn on after i turn off it once , evn can't disable it showing on widget bar

3)can't check my phone credit by dialing *122# (USSD code that to checking the credit balance of Maxis commnication in Malaysia), it just jump out into home after i dial this code.

sorry for my poor english and just want to inform you there are the bugs i found.hope you can solve it. thanks and appreciate your work~ have a nice day~ :)

Guest nikkotsoi

2) the cyanogenmod widget of 2g/3g button can't turn on after i turn off it once , evn can't disable it showing on widget bar

for me it is working

however, i can take photo but nothing are saved

x)_x

Guest bibubibu

for me it is working

however, i can take photo but nothing are saved

x)_x

i'm using module 800mhz-133mhz-141mb-16bpp and get the camera issue that the camera option icon display something like interference, can't see the camera option properly.. i also found out that all kernel 4.0 also have the camera issue that all taken photos are saved in black...

Guest Kannan Ramaswamy

Hi Ipaq,

what is the closest we can get to deploying JetDroid in Omnia2. I see JetDroid has reached ICS.

Is there a remote chance???

Regards

Kannan

Guest pavel12.10

People need a good artist

1. Who is not difficult to throw off the full assembly instructions for the core i8000

2. Who is not difficult to throw off the full instructions for modifying init.cpio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest zappazz

After that I will be completely offline until probably some time in July.

Ehm ehm, September arrived :) passed over :unsure:

ipaq, let us know if you will keep improving this very good rom kernel.

Thanks!

Edited by zappazz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nikkotsoi

Ehm ehm, September arrived passed over

ipaq, let us know if you will keep improving this very good rom kernel.

Thanks!

I am very worried if he is suffered in some accident or something :( :(

he is not online since june =[

Not even ONCE!~

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest sam jason braddock

Hi everyone.

Has anyone suceed in recompiling the kernel from source ?

I tried with ipaq's sources, the compilation works but the kernel does not boot. It remains on haret displaying "jumping to kernel"...

Sources are here : https://github.com/ipaq3870/o2droid

I used the default configuration script provided for omnia II on kernel 2.6.32

When I use the compiled kernel provided in the initial post, it works.

So my haret's configuration should be OK.

When I compile the old kernel_oII, it works, so my cross compilation should be ok...

So what's wrong ? Does anyone have a clue ?

Guest rom_omnia2

Hi everyone.

Has anyone suceed in recompiling the kernel from source ?

I tried with ipaq's sources, the compilation works but the kernel does not boot. It remains on haret displaying "jumping to kernel"...

Sources are here : https://github.com/ipaq3870/o2droid

I used the default configuration script provided for omnia II on kernel 2.6.32

When I use the compiled kernel provided in the initial post, it works.

So my haret's configuration should be OK.

When I compile the old kernel_oII, it works, so my cross compilation should be ok...

So what's wrong ? Does anyone have a clue ?

I've been able to compile a working kernel from his source. I don't think any change was necessary, basically the default config have every feature disabled by default (24bpp driver, 166/Ahb, etc). It should at least get to the "Android on Omnia II loading" screen.

You can try to disable kexec (#CONFIG_KEXEC=y). Kexec may prevent the "jump" to the kernel sometimes due some bugs. But this bug only show up sometimes, it will work just by trying to boot again. To be honest i don't think kexec is the problem. You may also check the compiled kernel final size. I always had problems with kernels with 2.9mb+ size. I've solved most of the problems related with this by using the "official" arm-gcc from friendlyarm (friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=arm-linux-gcc-4.4.3.tgz).

But tell me if you make it work, my compiled kernels from his sources doesn't have phone signal working, i have no clue why, phone works fine with his "official" compiled kernel.

Guest sam jason braddock

I've been able to compile a working kernel from his source. I don't think any change was necessary, basically the default config have every feature disabled by default (24bpp driver, 166/Ahb, etc). It should at least get to the "Android on Omnia II loading" screen.

You can try to disable kexec (#CONFIG_KEXEC=y). Kexec may prevent the "jump" to the kernel sometimes due some bugs. But this bug only show up sometimes, it will work just by trying to boot again. To be honest i don't think kexec is the problem. You may also check the compiled kernel final size. I always had problems with kernels with 2.9mb+ size. I've solved most of the problems related with this by using the "official" arm-gcc from friendlyarm (friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=arm-linux-gcc-4.4.3.tgz).

But tell me if you make it work, my compiled kernels from his sources doesn't have phone signal working, i have no clue why, phone works fine with his "official" compiled kernel.

Hi,

I tried to disable kexec but it didn't change anything...

I am using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc 4.6.3, maybe there's something to do with that.

I will give friendly arm 4.4.3 a try to tell you if there's something new.

The kernel size is around 2.7MB whih is a few bytes less than ipaq's kernel... So I don't think size is a problem here...

When I compiled the kernel in verbose mode, I noticed this in the link phase : arm-linux-gnueabi-ld -EL --defsym zreladdr=0x50008000 --defsym params_phys=0x50000100

Could it be an issue because haret ramaddr parameter is 0x50000000 (I tried 0x50008000 but there's no change - I also tried to force zreladdr to 0x50000000 but still no changes)...?

Guest rom_omnia2

Hi,

I tried to disable kexec but it didn't change anything...

I am using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc 4.6.3, maybe there's something to do with that.

I will give friendly arm 4.4.3 a try to tell you if there's something new.

The kernel size is around 2.7MB whih is a few bytes less than ipaq's kernel... So I don't think size is a problem here...

When I compiled the kernel in verbose mode, I noticed this in the link phase : arm-linux-gnueabi-ld -EL --defsym zreladdr=0x50008000 --defsym params_phys=0x50000100

Could it be an issue because haret ramaddr parameter is 0x50000000 (I tried 0x50008000 but there's no change - I also tried to force zreladdr to 0x50000000 but still no changes)...?

This ramaddr change doesnt make sense at all unless you are changing the source files. Are you sure that there's no errors on the compile log. Are you using this command bellow?

make zImage modules ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

On the end it should say "image ready" / "zimage ready". Any error and it would jump out before this message.

Guest sam jason braddock

This ramaddr change doesnt make sense at all unless you are changing the source files. Are you sure that there's no errors on the compile log. Are you using this command bellow?

make zImage modules ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

On the end it should say "image ready" / "zimage ready". Any error and it would jump out before this message.

Hi,

there were no errors on the log.

Anyway, I recompiled the kernel with "friendly arm 4.4.3" and it's now working perfectly !

I guess there's something incompatible with "arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc 4.6.3" but I really don't see what... (no specific error, and I was able to compile and boot the previous kern_oII (2.6.31 based) very well, so it is quite weird...).

Right now I am doing some experiments with raspbian on Omnia II :-) , so I cannot tell you yet if radio is working for me with the recompiled kernel.

But I will try the next fex days and tell you.

• 1 year later...
Guest argentinos

i do not want to start a new thread since i am planning and already working on continuing this project.

i want to modernize this kernel in order to make our froyo ROM faster and make gingerbread ROM with more features to work.

there are many sources over the internet. we only need some volunteers. no need for advanced linux/programming knowledge. some free time and will to study a little is necessary of course.

volunteers can contribute here

https://github.com/argentinos/o2droid (fork from ipaq's job)

sources can be found here

https://github.com/argentinos/kernel-s5pc100

https://github.com/argentinos/android_device_samsung_omnia2

https://www.kernel.org/

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=m910

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=5800

https://github.com/argentinos/android_device_samsung_omnia2

http://omnia2droid.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

my last goal is to see latest version of 2.6 kernel on our phone. i do not think our old phone can ever execute 3.X kernel or run properly android ICS, JB etc

for those you dream about it can contibute on erikcas 3.0 kernel here

https://github.com/erikcas/spica-3.0

Edited by argentinos

• 1 month later...
Guest argentinos

yes,both phones are armv6. just i8000 has s3c6410 chipset and i5500 has Qualcomm MSM7227 . chek here http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2390&c=samsung_gt-i5500_galaxy_5__corby_smartphone. we can port at least ics on our phone too, i5700 spica and samsung transform (both s3c6410 too) have but with poor functionality). so even if do it  it will work only as pda because of no drivers. qualcommm chipset phones have the best drivers support

• 1 year later...
Guest Eskulap

Hi.

I'm new to this forum, but I read most of the topics of Omnia II. However I can not download the file archive 4.0-ae49c12-950-667mhz-166mhz-141mb-24bpp.part1.rar and part.2 and "Kexec a.k.a. Never See WinMo Again".

Please help me.