• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Kernel Experiment - 4.0 updated 2012.05.28

199 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It seems people are still interested in the Omnia 2. I gave up on it a few months ago. If anyone wants mine and lives in Montreal, let me know...it's all yours. Don't live in Montreal, it's yours for the shipping.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It seems people are still interested in the Omnia 2. I gave up on it a few months ago. If anyone wants mine and lives in Montreal, let me know...it's all yours. Don't live in Montreal, it's yours for the shipping.

I Live in Alberta and can not afford to buy another smartphone but need one for my Wife. I would be more than happy to pay shipping to have another o2. :)

Edited by dpspcdrgn

Posted · Report post

waiting for ipaq to come back :wub:

Posted · Report post

It's possible to have versions of your kernels with iptables included??

Posted · Report post

thank

Posted · Report post

halo ipaq i found out bugs they are:

1)the camera's options small icon can't display well..

2) the cyanogenmod widget of 2g/3g button can't turn on after i turn off it once , evn can't disable it showing on widget bar

3)can't check my phone credit by dialing *122# (USSD code that to checking the credit balance of Maxis commnication in Malaysia), it just jump out into home after i dial this code.

sorry for my poor english and just want to inform you there are the bugs i found.hope you can solve it. thanks and appreciate your work~ have a nice day~ :)

Posted · Report post

2) the cyanogenmod widget of 2g/3g button can't turn on after i turn off it once , evn can't disable it showing on widget bar

for me it is working

however, i can take photo but nothing are saved

x)_x

Posted · Report post

for me it is working

however, i can take photo but nothing are saved

x)_x

i'm using module 800mhz-133mhz-141mb-16bpp and get the camera issue that the camera option icon display something like interference, can't see the camera option properly.. i also found out that all kernel 4.0 also have the camera issue that all taken photos are saved in black...

Posted · Report post

Also happens to me, all taken photos are saved in black

Posted · Report post

Hi Ipaq,

what is the closest we can get to deploying JetDroid in Omnia2. I see JetDroid has reached ICS.

Is there a remote chance???

Regards

Kannan

Posted · Report post

People need a good artist

1. Who is not difficult to throw off the full assembly instructions for the core i8000

2. Who is not difficult to throw off the full instructions for modifying init.cpio

Posted · Report post

it seems that ipaq3970 threw his phone in the trash this summer holidays :D

Posted · Report post

Ive moved to a galaxy fone, so thank all guys for the great support and thrill ive enjoyed. Keep it up. Cheers.

Kannan

After that I will be completely offline until probably some time in July.

Ehm ehm, September arrived :) passed over :unsure:

ipaq, let us know if you will keep improving this very good rom kernel.

Thanks!

Edited by zappazz

Posted · Report post

Ehm ehm, September arrived passed over

ipaq, let us know if you will keep improving this very good rom kernel.

Thanks!

I am very worried if he is suffered in some accident or something :( :(

he is not online since june =[

Not even ONCE!~

Posted · Report post

i8000用的怎么样

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone.

Has anyone suceed in recompiling the kernel from source ?

I tried with ipaq's sources, the compilation works but the kernel does not boot. It remains on haret displaying "jumping to kernel"...

Sources are here : https://github.com/ipaq3870/o2droid

I used the default configuration script provided for omnia II on kernel 2.6.32

When I use the compiled kernel provided in the initial post, it works.

So my haret's configuration should be OK.

When I compile the old kernel_oII, it works, so my cross compilation should be ok...

So what's wrong ? Does anyone have a clue ?

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone.

Has anyone suceed in recompiling the kernel from source ?

I tried with ipaq's sources, the compilation works but the kernel does not boot. It remains on haret displaying "jumping to kernel"...

Sources are here : https://github.com/ipaq3870/o2droid

I used the default configuration script provided for omnia II on kernel 2.6.32

When I use the compiled kernel provided in the initial post, it works.

So my haret's configuration should be OK.

When I compile the old kernel_oII, it works, so my cross compilation should be ok...

So what's wrong ? Does anyone have a clue ?

I've been able to compile a working kernel from his source. I don't think any change was necessary, basically the default config have every feature disabled by default (24bpp driver, 166/Ahb, etc). It should at least get to the "Android on Omnia II loading" screen.

You can try to disable kexec (#CONFIG_KEXEC=y). Kexec may prevent the "jump" to the kernel sometimes due some bugs. But this bug only show up sometimes, it will work just by trying to boot again. To be honest i don't think kexec is the problem. You may also check the compiled kernel final size. I always had problems with kernels with 2.9mb+ size. I've solved most of the problems related with this by using the "official" arm-gcc from friendlyarm (friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=arm-linux-gcc-4.4.3.tgz).

But tell me if you make it work, my compiled kernels from his sources doesn't have phone signal working, i have no clue why, phone works fine with his "official" compiled kernel.

Posted · Report post

I've been able to compile a working kernel from his source. I don't think any change was necessary, basically the default config have every feature disabled by default (24bpp driver, 166/Ahb, etc). It should at least get to the "Android on Omnia II loading" screen.

You can try to disable kexec (#CONFIG_KEXEC=y). Kexec may prevent the "jump" to the kernel sometimes due some bugs. But this bug only show up sometimes, it will work just by trying to boot again. To be honest i don't think kexec is the problem. You may also check the compiled kernel final size. I always had problems with kernels with 2.9mb+ size. I've solved most of the problems related with this by using the "official" arm-gcc from friendlyarm (friendlyarm.net/dl.php?file=arm-linux-gcc-4.4.3.tgz).

But tell me if you make it work, my compiled kernels from his sources doesn't have phone signal working, i have no clue why, phone works fine with his "official" compiled kernel.

Hi,

I tried to disable kexec but it didn't change anything...

I am using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc 4.6.3, maybe there's something to do with that.

I will give friendly arm 4.4.3 a try to tell you if there's something new.

The kernel size is around 2.7MB whih is a few bytes less than ipaq's kernel... So I don't think size is a problem here...

When I compiled the kernel in verbose mode, I noticed this in the link phase : arm-linux-gnueabi-ld -EL --defsym zreladdr=0x50008000 --defsym params_phys=0x50000100

Could it be an issue because haret ramaddr parameter is 0x50000000 (I tried 0x50008000 but there's no change - I also tried to force zreladdr to 0x50000000 but still no changes)...?

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I tried to disable kexec but it didn't change anything...

I am using arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc 4.6.3, maybe there's something to do with that.

I will give friendly arm 4.4.3 a try to tell you if there's something new.

The kernel size is around 2.7MB whih is a few bytes less than ipaq's kernel... So I don't think size is a problem here...

When I compiled the kernel in verbose mode, I noticed this in the link phase : arm-linux-gnueabi-ld -EL --defsym zreladdr=0x50008000 --defsym params_phys=0x50000100

Could it be an issue because haret ramaddr parameter is 0x50000000 (I tried 0x50008000 but there's no change - I also tried to force zreladdr to 0x50000000 but still no changes)...?

This ramaddr change doesnt make sense at all unless you are changing the source files. Are you sure that there's no errors on the compile log. Are you using this command bellow?

make zImage modules ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

On the end it should say "image ready" / "zimage ready". Any error and it would jump out before this message.

Posted · Report post

This ramaddr change doesnt make sense at all unless you are changing the source files. Are you sure that there's no errors on the compile log. Are you using this command bellow?

make zImage modules ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

On the end it should say "image ready" / "zimage ready". Any error and it would jump out before this message.

Hi,

there were no errors on the log.

Anyway, I recompiled the kernel with "friendly arm 4.4.3" and it's now working perfectly !

I guess there's something incompatible with "arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc 4.6.3" but I really don't see what... (no specific error, and I was able to compile and boot the previous kern_oII (2.6.31 based) very well, so it is quite weird...).

Right now I am doing some experiments with raspbian on Omnia II :-) , so I cannot tell you yet if radio is working for me with the recompiled kernel.

But I will try the next fex days and tell you.

i do not want to start a new thread since i am planning and already working on continuing this project.

i want to modernize this kernel in order to make our froyo ROM faster and make gingerbread ROM with more features to work.

there are many sources over the internet. we only need some volunteers. no need for advanced linux/programming knowledge. some free time and will to study a little is necessary of course.

volunteers can contribute here

https://github.com/argentinos/o2droid (fork from ipaq's job)

sources can be found here

https://github.com/argentinos/kernel-s5pc100

https://github.com/argentinos/android_device_samsung_omnia2

https://www.kernel.org/

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=m910

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=5800

https://github.com/argentinos/android_device_samsung_omnia2

http://omnia2droid.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

my last goal is to see latest version of 2.6 kernel on our phone. i do not think our old phone can ever execute 3.X kernel or run properly android ICS, JB etc

for those you dream about it can contibute on erikcas 3.0 kernel here

https://github.com/erikcas/spica-3.0

Edited by argentinos

Posted · Report post

I just installed CM 10.2 on this SH#T phone (also Armv6) for a friend: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i5500_galaxy_5-3371.php Isn't our omnia also Armv6? I don't know... i am still strong with my omnia 2, my only device... sometimes i still cry about, our phone have so much potential.

Posted · Report post

yes,both phones are armv6. just i8000 has s3c6410 chipset and i5500 has Qualcomm MSM7227 . chek here http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2390&c=samsung_gt-i5500_galaxy_5__corby_smartphone. we can port at least ics on our phone too, i5700 spica and samsung transform (both s3c6410 too) have but with poor functionality). so even if do it  it will work only as pda because of no drivers. qualcommm chipset phones have the best drivers support