Better audio quality when recording video?

Guest ManOfSteal

Guest ManOfSteal

As with my previous phone, the audio quality is dire when recording videos, which makes it pretty useless for my purposes. Any apps out there that offer anything better than stock, or is it a case of being saddled with a low quality audio CODEC and it can't be improved upon?

yes it is a bit on the poor side.I recorded my cousin yesterday mixing on his decks(DJ)

The video was not too bad,compared to my blade or skate,but sound was crap.There are apps that record in wav format and the sound is awesome,I purchased pcm recorder pro and it is worth every penny.It is a real shame there is not a video app that can record the audio in wav,but as far as I know there are none :(

Edited by Guest

Found a tweak to increase video and photo.

ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=8000000

ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps=8000000

And to increase jpeg to 100%

ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100

Edited by Guest

Guest kyan31

Found a tweak to increase video and photo.

ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=8000000

ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps=8000000

And to increase jpeg to 100%

ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100

where can i find these files?

Guest FrownBreaker

There are videos on YouTube of people using the Galaxy phones audio in with XLR mics etc. The pin outs must be the same on the G300 so that might be an option. The camera software needs to support alternate inputs not just the stock system mic input.

I think there is an app called recForge (Paid plus crippled free) or the free HQ Audio Recorder

There are pinouts on youtube so you can make a cable for £2 - £3

There are premade units..

http://www.cablejive.com/products/ProJive-XLR.html

Guest ManOfSteal

The problem is the CODEC used for the audio during video recording, rather than the quality of the microphone itself, which is acceptable when using audio recording apps. This was also a problem on my previous phone (HTC Desire) and no-one managed it on that.

Guest FrownBreaker

The problem is the CODEC used for the audio during video recording, rather than the quality of the microphone itself, which is acceptable when using audio recording apps. This was also a problem on my previous phone (HTC Desire) and no-one managed it on that.

The recording software I mentioned supports mutlple codecs and bit rates search Play or here

https://play.google....aoyu.voicenotes

Description

A free lightweight and high quality audio recorder, which supports up to 48K sampling rate and 16 bits encoding. Much better than the stock recorder.

- Simple and intuitive interface

- Supports multiple sampling rates

- Includes two recording modes:

* Normal record mode

* Push to talk mode: recording continues until the button is released. Good for taking short voice notes quickly.

- Allows users to email/share the audio after recording. Works with gmail, gdrive, dropbox and etc.

- Supports basic editing like clipping audio files

- Click the help menu for more details about how to use this app.

- Has all the functionalities of the pro version except for the ads.

Keywords: audio recorder gmail voice notes PCM mp3 mic share send dropbox gdrive

Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest eirlysbill1

The recording software I mentioned supports mutlple codecs and bit rates search Play or here

https://play.google....aoyu.voicenotes

Hi Mate,

Just curious, as I'm not up on this stuff at all; is this one comparable in quality to the one you posted?

https://play.google....3JkZXIubGl0ZSJd

This is the one I use for voice recordings.

But, I'm a bit confused too. Since the thread started about audio quality when shooting video, does this mean when you install one of these apps, that it takes over as the default recorder for all audio, including video recording?

Thanks,

Bill

EDIT: please forgive my ignorance, I did just re-read the thread, and I still can't suss it. To me it looks like Tilal is saying the only way to improve audio whilst shooting video is a hack?

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest FrownBreaker

Hi Mate,

Just curious, as I'm not up on this stuff at all; is this one comparable in quality to the one you posted?

https://play.google....3JkZXIubGl0ZSJd

This is the one I use for voice recordings.

But, I'm a bit confused too. Since the thread started about audio quality when shooting video, does this mean when you install one of these apps, that it takes over as the default recorder for all audio, including video recording?

Thanks,

Bill

EDIT: please forgive my ignorance, I did just re-read the thread, and I still can't suss it. To me it looks like Tilal is saying the only way to improve audio whilst shooting video is a hack?

There are a couple of things to remember for HQ audio.

1) Lossy codecs such as MP3 (this is what the program you asked about uses) are not good for recording for later editing. Best to capture in a lossless coded

2) Audio capture for Video is best done with an off board microphone - You wont hear the noise of the chasis of the phone, you can use a HQ mic etc

3) If you capture the video and audio seperately these can be recombined later when editing

4) If you have long audio recording with some loud and some soft section then a program like leveliser is good for normalisation.

5) Audacity is a good PC program for Audio processing it can input and output most formats

6) FFMPEG isa good program for transcoding video

7) There is no good or high quality standard but there are references useful as a yardstick- CDs for example are PCM audio lossless with a 44Khz sample rate

8) For video / audio recording the capabiltyi depends on the code that the developer used. If they hardcode system default then the phone cam and mic will be used. However the API on andriod allows for the use of offboard Audio (external mics)

Guest eirlysbill1

cheers for this. Some great info in there, most of it I had no idea about. To risk going off topic: I have a long MP3 recording, off of an old cassette tape, and I was hoping to find a free editing programme to break up the different songs. But considering what you've written, MP3 isn't the way to go, even if I did find such a programme. (sorry, just looked at the Audacity site) :unsure:

Any suggestions? Incidentally, the friend who made the digi recording of the tape originally gave it to me as a MPEG-4.

Cheers and please feel free to PM me, if you want, in order to not take this thread to far away from its original post.

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest FrownBreaker

cheers for this. Some great info in there, most of it I had no idea about. To risk going off topic: I have a long MP3 recording, off of an old cassette tape, and I was hoping to find a free editing programme to break up the different songs. But considering what you've written, MP3 isn't the way to go, even if I did find such a programme. (sorry, just looked at the Audacity site) :unsure:

Any suggestions? Incidentally, the friend who made the digi recording of the tape originally gave it to me as a MPEG-4.

Cheers and please feel free to PM me, if you want, in order to not take this thread to far away from its original post.

If you have the tape and the quality matters make a new copy to PCM (.WAV) audio 44Khz using a good tape deck and capture on a PC sound card.

If the existing tape MP3 is ok then load into and edit and select the track and hit save, repeat for each track. The silence between tracks can be seen on the trace in audacity.

http://videoguides.avs4you.com/How-to-split-audio-into-separate-tracks.aspx

If it is music then buy the CD and rip with DBPowerAMP free CD- FLAC or MP3, AAC the free version is fine.

Guest eirlysbill1

If the existing tape MP3 is ok then load into and edit and select the track and hit save, repeat for each track. The silence between tracks can be seen on the trace in audacity.

http://videoguides.a...ate-tracks.aspx

Mp3 is ok. Thanks for the link above and all the help. You're living up to your name ;)

Ok heres the thing,this morning I got an external mic to see if it would improve audio in video and it made not one bit of difference.

As tilal said it may be more a matter of media_profiles.xml or something like this.I wonder does anyone still have the B882 rom on ? and is the video audio still bad there,just thinking,is the video audio this bad before the audio fix ?

Guest armin74

I recommend the free lgCamera app (or paid LgCameraPro).

You can set video and audio encoder, bitrate, audio samplerate and many other things.

On H.263 and audio AAC (samplerate 48000) I've got great recording results. Bitrate also can be increased, for better quality.

I recommend the free lgCamera app (or paid LgCameraPro).

You can set video and audio encoder, bitrate, audio samplerate and many other things.

On H.263 and audio AAC (samplerate 48000) I've got great recording results. Bitrate also can be increased, for better quality.

I tried Lg camera pro as its one of the first apps I purchased,but even still I cannot figure the best settings,anything I do is just a guess more than anything.

It would be good if you shared your exact settings here if they work :)

How much improvement has lg camera made on audio quality ?

I may take a chance and email some video app devs and see if they could add audio that's independent of android system like this great app that records in amazing clarity: https://play.google....29yZGVyLnBybyJd

Edited by Guest

Guest armin74

Please try to set the audio codec AAC, with samplerate 48000, bitrate 256000. I think is far better than stock camera app. Also video quality, if video bitrate increased.

The only minus discovered is no thumbnails for video files, in phone and computer too. (I think because of the video codec).

Excellent it really works,audio sounds good now,and with bit rate set to 10 the video quality seems much better......I am tempted to try 100mbit. :lol:

edit: 100mbit is too much :lol: no surprise there.

10mbit seems about right,and after playing back a video through my headphones,I am surprised but the audio is crystal clear :D

Edited by Guest