ZTE Kis / Orange Dublin

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

Thats not an update you flash with CWMR, you have to unzip it to your SDcard and then hold down.. erm, something.. unzip it and there should be instructions inside.

to root the device, you need to install Clockwork Mod Recovery:

http://blog.podtwo.c...E Roamer 2.html

then install the su-bin and Superuser updates (ARM version) from here :

http://androidsu.com/superuser/

Guest JUNIER-SANCHEZ

I cant seem to install Clockwork Mod Recovery when i run 'adb reboot bootloader' it does reboot to the android logo but when i try fastboot flash recovery.img, it says fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, i have put the recovery img file in sdk platform tools, i installed all the drivers, have been doing alot of reading cant seem to figure this out, getting really annoyed now , im a newbie im sure theres something im doing wrong, is there not a alternative easier way of flashing cwmr?

Im using win xp

Edited by JUNIER-SANCHEZ

Guest oggerz

I cant seem to install Clockwork Mod Recovery when i run 'adb reboot bootloader' it does reboot to the android logo but when i try fastboot flash recovery.img, it says fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, i have put the recovery img file in sdk platform tools, i installed all the drivers, have been doing alot of reading cant seem to figure this out, getting really annoyed now , im a newbie im sure theres something im doing wrong, is there not a alternative easier way of flashing cwmr?

Im using win xp

in 'command prompt' go to platform tool directory and run command from there :)

Guest Sebastian404

I've checked out the update zip, it does look like ZTE have screwed up the update, but your not really missing out, its the same version as the one that came with my device, (build date of 20120607)

Guest cjm106

I've checked out the update zip, it does look like ZTE have screwed up the update, but your not really missing out, its the same version as the one that came with my device, (build date of 20120607)

Anything that can be done to make it work, I'm no longer able to get into fastboot and have tried reziping and signing the update but no joy...

Guest JUNIER-SANCHEZ

in 'command prompt' go to platform tool directory and run command from there :)

I was doing that but wasn't working so I had a bat file which flashes recovery I put it in the platform tool folder alongside the recovery img and just ran it and it flashed recovery without writing any commands, thanks for trying to help my friend, I flashed superuser got every thing working got rid of the virgin apps etc

Guest Sebastian404

Hmm, I fixed and resigned the update, and applied it to my device and now I cant get into fastboot either..

fortunatly I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery to the device before I did a reboot so can at least do a restore of my back up and get it working... not sure what ZTE have done with this update, but I'd REALLY not recommend that anyone install it

Guest mikegianni

so whats new with this device then just picked it up for my son (he was going for the t-mobile vivacity but Virgin Med had better deal) its currently charging and I wanted to find if there was any working roms for it.

Guest KaczyZTE

Hi!

I have problem with rooting ZTE Kis. I'm from Poland and i buy this phone for my girlfrend in our country but i think he is the same like yours. I installed Java and Android SDK when i go with command 'adb reboot bootloader' phone restarts and stay on android logo but when i go with 'fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img' and try flash ckwm adb tells <Waiting for device>. And like oggerz i tried reinstall phone drivers and everything but is the same.My system is win7 x64.When phone restarts device menager shows "Android" with question mark(?). This is very new phone and i can't find any solution for rooting him every app like superonclick , z4root, gingerbreak didn't work. Problem is with internal memory new lancher , dialer and 16mb free. I wants to remove branded apps and some google for more space or move most things for SD card(ext4) but without root i think this is impossible.

Guest Sebastian404

Im afriad I'm not able to help, I'm an Apple / Linux user, they dont really have driver problems..

Tho in past with other ZTE devices, these sort of issues have always come down to the USB drivers, either you have installed the wrong version or not installed the correct drivers. the device presents itself as a different USB device depending on its mode, so you need drivers for Fastboot & 'regular' use.

The only thing I can say is go look in the other ZTE threads for talk about USB drivers and see if you can get any tips there.

I'm a newbie, sorry if this is not relevant.

I got a ZTE Kis from Virgin, and an unlock code from them. The code worked no bother and the phone is unclocked (i.e. works for voice and SMS), but I can't set it up for data as there are no options to manually input access points for other providers - they are just not present where they should be.

Guest hecatae

I'm a newbie, sorry if this is not relevant.

I got a ZTE Kis from Virgin, and an unlock code from them. The code worked no bother and the phone is unclocked (i.e. works for voice and SMS), but I can't set it up for data as there are no options to manually input access points for other providers - they are just not present where they should be.

so the access points config xml are locked down and cannot be edited by users?

you may have to root and custom rom to get the access you need

JUST IGNORE THE STUFF ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO EDIT THE APNs.

I got it working, it was total user error (i.e. me being a newbie). I could not find the fields to enter the APN because when I went to SETTINGS > WIRELESS & NETWORKS > MOBILE NETWORKS, I thought that the words "network settings" were a title for the page and hence did not press them. When I pressed "network settings" I found the feilds I needed. Sorry folks, this is my first experience of using a touchscreen for anything, the whole episode is made all the more humiliating because a few years ago I worked for Nokia on thier tech support line and I thought I knew my way around phones pretty well - but that was in the days before touchscreens.

Guest the182nd

Dear Sebastian404,

I've tried to install your customised ROM but I had stuck at the beginning.

When I try to install the recovery, I turn on USB debugging mode, then type 'db reboot bootloader'. When it restarts, the screen stays at the green droid. Then I type 'fastboot flash recovery CWM.img'. The image file is in the folder, however, I also tried it with C:\CWM.img (I copied it there).

It says "Waiting for device..." and then nothing on earth. All the drivers are good, everything else is working well.

I just cannot change the recovery. Could you please explain the method to me please with more details? I can't figure out what's wrong.

I've also tried with Terminal Emulator, no success... I've tried with ROM Manager which doesn't support my phone...

Cheers

Guest Sebastian404

if you do 'fastboot devices' you should be able to see a device listed, in the same way you can do 'adb devices'

If your on windows then its more than likely a driver problem you need to install a different set of drivers for fastboot as to the ones you need for ADB.

Check your control panel / devices and in there see if there is an unknown USB device.. that'll be it

Sorry I don't use windows so I cant really help any further

Guest mikegianni

Sebastian - when i try to d/l I am getting a 404 error on both the firmware link and the mirror link have they been taken down ? wanna try and flash my sons phone as the virgin bloated rom takes up far to much room and he constantly runs low on space even with apps2sd running those few apps that cant be moved soon fill it up.

Guest Sebastian404

Sebastian - when i try to d/l I am getting a 404 error on both the firmware link and the mirror link have they been taken down?.

Been having problems with my hosting, i've lost all the stock roms and I have the SLOWEST upload speed ever, so going to be a few days before all the files are back.

However, I've uploaded the file, let me know if you still having problems

Guest KonstaT

I mentioned it on twitter, but Turkcell Maxi Plus 5 has the same part number as the Roamer2/Kis, but its board is called 'nice'....

This seems to be the same device as ZTE Ice sold by greek operator WIND.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=267762103328508&set=a.128101500627903.19875.123351034436283&type=1

There's an update available in the ZTE website and board name is 'nice'.

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/Greece/

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/Greece/Greece_Instruction/201208/P020120822624235615339.zip

It seems that ZTE is now putting out bunch of msm7x27a devices with minor differences. There was also some news about Blade III (it's available for pre-order here in Finland).

Guest hecatae

This seems to be the same device as ZTE Ice sold by greek operator WIND.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=267762103328508&set=a.128101500627903.19875.123351034436283&type=1

There's an update available in the ZTE website and board name is 'nice'.

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/Greece/

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/Greece/Greece_Instruction/201208/P020120822624235615339.zip

It seems that ZTE is now putting out bunch of msm7x27a devices with minor differences. There was also some news about Blade III (it's available for pre-order here in Finland).

yes and the Blade III is the Skate Acqua

Guest KonstaT

yes and the Blade III is the Skate Acqua

No, it's not the same device. Casing is different at least. Other specs are very similar, but Acqua has 4GB of ROM and Blade only 512MB? (it even says 200MB on the pre-order link but that's probably not right).

ZTE Skate Acqua/Medion Life P4012/Momodesign MD Droid/V880E/N880E/V889D/etc board name is atlas40. We really don't know much more from Blade III other than the specs/photos on the web.

Guest the182nd

OK, I managed to change the firmware. Thanks a lot! :)

But I was quite disappointed when I realised that my device is still locked to Virgin...

Do you know any method to unlock the phone? I'd try to buy an unlock code but the money was sent back, because they found no code...

Today I saw on YouTube that it's possible to do it with Furious Gold, but for that I'd need a box...

I've bought the phone about a month ago and I still cannot use it... By the way I chose ZTE because it's famous about can be unlocked easily... :)

Cheers

PS.: Nice ROM, but when I put the phone on the charger, the screen doesn't response. ;)

Guest Sebastian404

In theory its unlockable in the same way as the blade2 & skate.. but I've not really tried it, I'm not really able to take my device back if I brick it.