Huawei C8812 with downloadable ICS - Any use for us?

Guest Hans Gruber

Guest Hans Gruber

I notice on the Chinese Huawei site they have a phone called a C8812 which specs wise looks very similar to the U8815. The difference being that it's CDMA rather GSM. Interestingly in the download section it has ICS. Can any of the devs get anything useful out of it?

http://www.huaweidev...eeId=3677&tab=2

Guest Hans Gruber

It is according to http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

Looks like it also has a front facing camera and the rear one is only 3.2mp without a flash but other than that the cpu and ram and bits look the same. I'm no expert I just thought maybe there's something that could be used on the G300

Edited by Hans Gruber

Guest KasioPC

Looks quite interesting. I'll see if I can rip it apart and check for any differences. I just hope it uses the old Huawei update process. The new one doesn't work with the unpacking script, and I doubt it will flash on our phones.

Guest omegamoon

No, unfortunately not. This once again is a UPDATE.APP image, which cannot be extracted with any available tools (yet). I'm looking on some chinese forum with the help of Google Translate :wacko: It seems there are other custom ROMs available. I'll try to get one

Update: Ok, I got an image from here. This has a "normal" image. I'll try flashing it

Edited by omegamoon

can flashing one of those roms in CWM kill a phone? Or is the worst that can happen it just won't boot?

I think it is most likely that it will not flash at all or will flash but not boot.

Flashing is recoverable TPT is not,a tpt could easily brick your device if you used wrong one or one that was corrupt.

Edited by Guest

To change partition sizes it would have to be a tpt or official update which would be tpt also,flashing cannot change partitions.

Edited by Guest

Guest Frankish
just won boot afaik but someone who knows more could say to be sure

If the zip only contains a selection of the following...

System

Metainf

Boot.img

Data

Then there's no chance of bricking. Only boot loops or hangs at Huawei logo. But its been confirmed roms are interchangeable between 18 and 15 variants.

Guest omegamoon

Did it flash ?

I made minimal adjustments to the boot.img, system.img and the update-script, recreated the update.zip and flashed it with CWM. It flashes ok, but doesn't boot. It's stuck on the Huawei logo, so I guess it crashes very early in the boot process. The adb service isn't started, logcat doesn't work and it doesn't leave any logging info behind in /data on recovery restart.

I also replaced the default v3.0.8 kernel in boot.img with the older original G300 Gingerbread v2.6.38 kernel. It then boots, adb starts, logging gets created and shows that zygote crashes.

Any ideas on what other options there might be?

Are you using pauls deodexed rom ?

I was just looking up about zygote as I have no clue what that is other than its to do with boot process and I come across this:

You have to deodex the base Rom before porting. If the CPU arch is different of both phones you will have to use lib from your rom and all Java part from the other rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1174044

Not sure if that has anything to do with this,but my knowledge of kernel is noob so I got no real ideas for you.

Guest omegamoon

Are you using pauls deodexed rom ?

I was just looking up about zygote as I have no clue what that is other than its to do with boot process and I come across this:

You have to deodex the base Rom before porting. If the CPU arch is different of both phones you will have to use lib from your rom and all Java part from the other rom.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1174044

Not sure if that has anything to do with this,but my knowledge of kernel is noob so I got no real ideas for you.

Thanks for pointing that out. I copied the /system/app and /system/framework from the MIUI v2.5.11 for the U8860. Then I copied the qcnvitems.jar and qcrilhook.jar files (including the .odex files) back in. Booting now stops at the Huawei logo, but on reboot at least there are "tombstones" logfiles. See the result here. Any help on analyzing the logfile is much appreciated!