RIM: We'll keep our crown jewel (BBM) to ourselves thanks very much

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Since the dawn of time (well, it feels that way) there have been reports, even leaked screenshots, of efforts to bring Blackberry Messenger (BBM) functionality to platforms other than RIM's own. It now appears that RIM have - sensibly - decided that this is a bad idea.

An article at the Wall Street Journal journal is reporting that although Executives at the company did come up with a detailed strategy aiming to license BBM as a service to other vendors, this has now been shelved through fears that it would damage a key part of buyers' motivations to buy a RIM device.

I have to say I agree with their new stance on the situation. Although i'd actually quite like BBM on my Android device (for some reason I just don't really get on with any of the multitude of 3rd party alternatives) and it would no doubt open up a new revenue stream for the company, I know of many people personally who still buy Blackberry handsets purely on the back of BBM, something that RIM just can't do without at the moment.

Of course, with financial pressures what they are at the company it's definitely a 'never say never' situation, but for now it seems, if you want BBM, buy a Blackberry.

Click here to view the item

Guest rufree2talk

if you care to do, please list the advantages of BBM against any of the "multitude of 3rd party alternatives"... in my opinion... there are none...

Guest Mikkle

Isn't BBM the only RIM device selling point?

Many enterprises use MS Exchange, and Android and IOS devices integrate neatly with these environments without too much fuss.

BBM - as far as I know - needs extra servers and weird (and sometimes working, sometimes not) integration/sync protocols...

What did I miss?

Guest Karucifer

I'm not sure crown jewel is the right term for BBM, I can think of several others which are more fitting - albeit inappropriate to post :-P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.