[ROM / 4.0.4] AndyStrip ICS 2.1 (Aug 13)

Guest Csharpe

Guest Csharpe

My goal with this ROM was not to remove as many as I could (which I did on the GB releases). I wanted to create a standard Google tablet instead, without all the bloatware that comes with some firmware.

Download:

Changelog:

Version 1:

• Android 4.0.4 (running on 3.0.8 kernel released with stock rom)
  • All Google apps (Play Store, Talk, Face-unlock, Gmail, Youtube HD)
  • Apex Launcher as the default launcher
  • Latest Superuser (if you don't want this, you can remove the su binary from /bin using the Android SDK)
  • Ad-hoc support (Tethering from phone / Windows 7)
  • Zipaligned apk
  • Bootloader v2.14, which allows custom recoveries. Expect CWM soon.
  • Busybox (without the symlinks)

Version 1.1:
    • Fixed USB / SD-card storage mounts
    • Added Bluetooth (with external enable-apk)
    • Added Market Enabler (temporary fix)
    • Fixed app2sd functionality
    • Updated Apex
    • Updated Music
    • All busybox symlinks

Version 2.0:
      • Rebased off Moage / Odys Loox 4.0.4 ROMs
      • Google Play now defaults to O2 - UK
      • Hide/Show ICS bottom bar
      • HDMI menu
      • Bluetooth -should- work now
      • Speed improvements, stability
      • HD file browser

Version 2.1:
        • Fixed Superuser/root
        • Added Live-wallpapers back
        • ADB support through Android SDK Google drivers

Note: The install doesn't include GMail nor Youtube, since these are now available from the Store.

Installation:

Drivers:

[*]Make sure the tablet's shut down.

[*]Plug in the USB device while keeping the Volume-up button pressed.

[*]Windows will ask you for drivers, point it to either x86 or amd64 (which is for all x64 computers) and the correct operating system. The drivers are included in the download.

[*]Wait until drivers are installed before continuing the ROM installation.

ROM Installation:

When you just installed the drivers, please proceed to step 3.

[*]Make sure the tablet's shut down.

[*]Plug in the USB device while keeping the Volume-up button pressed.

[*]Open RKAndroidTool.exe as Administrator.

[*]Optionally, press Erase IDB and wait for completion.

[*]Make sure all checkboxes are checked except for the last one (Backup)

[*]Click 'Run' and wait for completion, the tablet will reboot twice.

[*]As soon as you see the Charging icon reappear, unplug the device.

[*]Power on the tablet as usual and wait for it to restart. This might take a while (~ 5 minutes)

[*]Either skip or complete the setup and reboot it for the last time (this is because first boot is mostly laggy)

[*]Enjoy!

Screenshots:

Antutu benchmark (2077 score): http://i.imgur.com/O8Wc2.png

Home: http://i.imgur.com/qRotA.png

Apps: http://i.imgur.com/7W6oR.png

Bugs:

- Missing live-wallpaper support.

Credits:

[*]Astralix, for helping me with kernel-specific stuff

[*]Aino from SlateDroid - adb fix, bluetooth fix

[*]Christian Troy - wpa_supplicant and Gapps.

[*]stigmatafun / moage - ICS 4.0.4 base

[*]Oma from Odys-Loox forums

[*]...

And as always, ideas and suggestions are more than welcome!

Edited by Csharpe

Guest Tichy

Only problem i've found so far is that when installing some apps from the market place i get an error:

"Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card"

This has happened with Metro Tablet Edition by A&N Media and Theme Hospital by barleystudio.

Other than those, it has been working well. Thank you for your hard work in making the Andypad more useable.

Guest Csharpe

Only problem i've found so far is that when installing some apps from the market place i get an error:

"Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card"

This has happened with Metro Tablet Edition by A&N Media and Theme Hospital by barleystudio.

Other than those, it has been working well. Thank you for your hard work in making the Andypad more useable.

Does removing

\sdcard\.android_secure\smdl2tmp1.asec[/CODE]

[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000]solve this issue for you? Can be done through ES File Explorer or equivalents that give you root file access. [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]If so, this seems to be an Android issue first reported in 2010.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]The more I looked up about this issue, the more it points me at the kernel:[/size][/color]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1547674

And there's no way I can access that sourcecode. 2nd 'fix' is by unmounting the sd-card and then trying to install again OR in settings, make sure all applications install to NAND & not to the sd-card.

Edited by Csharpe

Guest modacoste

Thanks for this Csharp, installation was a breeze and it runs great.

Just on thing, bluetooth isn't available in your rom, it is in the AP release, do you plan to add it later?

Guest Csharpe

Thanks for this Csharp, installation was a breeze and it runs great.

Just on thing, bluetooth isn't available in your rom, it is in the AP release, do you plan to add it later?

I will add it as soon as I can, requires some boot.img tweaking.

Guest Tony_J

Interesting problem - in Google Play, the carrier (as in telecoms provider) is detected as "China Telecom mumble mumble" - consequently some apps that are sensitive to the country of origin won't load. For example, I can't load the iPlayer app - I get the following message in the web version of Google Play:

"This item cannot be installed in your device's country".

The AP ROM comes up as no carrier (which is reasonable since it doesn't take a SIM), and hence it will load up iPlayer no trouble at all.

Would be great if that can be fixed in V2 :)

Regards,

Tony

Guest Tony_J

Aargh...discovering more apps that won't load because they think I am in China...Kindle for example. There's wuite a list - Google Street View as well...

Regards,

Tony

Guest Tony_J

...and some others that "cannot be loaded on this device" on the Web version of Play & simply don't appear in the Play app...presumably because it is ICS and the app isn't compatible?

Regards,

Tony

Guest zurien

I have been noticing that wifi disconnects(then reconnects again) every 2-3 minutes after some data starts transferring, be it:

ftp(andftp), ssh(connectbot), streaming video(bsplayer) or just plain browsing(default browser and chrome beta tested) and reading news through PULSE.

I have connected Andypad to two different routers and to my phone through hotspot. Same behavior on all connections.

My sgs2 on CM9 based rom does not disconnect, nor does my M009s android tablet, or any other laptop that is connected to my network.

Other than the wifi problem things are looking good on this rom.

Cheers :)

Edited by zurien

Guest Csharpe

As for that wifi disconnect, it could be because of the patched adhoc binary. I will test with the older one again.

Already fixed the incorrect Market localisation on my local builds, and the SD-install should also be gone.

Getting Bluetooth to work is harder than I thought. Some patience & I hope it'll be fixed soon :)

Guest Tony_J

I have been noticing that wifi disconnects(then reconnects again) every 2-3 minutes after some data starts transferring, be it:

ftp(andftp), ssh(connectbot), streaming video(bsplayer) or just plain browsing(default browser and chrome beta tested) and reading news through PULSE.

I have connected Andypad to two different routers and to my phone through hotspot. Same behavior on all connections.

My sgs2 on CM9 based rom does not disconnect, nor does my M009s android tablet, or any other laptop that is connected to my network.

Other than the wifi problem things are looking good on this rom.

Cheers :)

Haven't seen that on mine so far

Regards,

Tony

Guest Csharpe

Only bug left's Bluetooth, all other issues have been fixed but I REALLY can't find what's blocking it for now.

With some build.prop edits the tablet reacts faster now.

Guest kokotron

Haptic feedback is disabled, while on the sound options "vibrate on touch" is selected. Where have the touch vibrations gone? :)

Guest Tichy

Thank you Csharpe. You are right about unmounting the SD card. Now i remember there was an issue raised that because the NAND FLASH and SD card are both called SD card that that causes problems. I'n the next build are you able to rename the SD card back to TransFlash, like the original 2.3 Andypad rom?

Cheers.

Guest Tony_J

A couple of odd things:

- Opera seemed to have trouble with field filling - it got stuck when I was attempting to log into my UK national lottery account;

- BBC iPlayer wanted the latest version of Flash. I clicked the update option in Google Play; the update was downloaded but failed to install because there was a problem with the signature (presumably of the old version of flas, not the new). So I uninstalled flash & re-installed the new version. Now iPlayer plays, after a fashion, but not at all responsive, with very jerky output, lots of pauses while it buffers more data, and no lip-sync between sound and picture when re-playing old stuff, and sound with a static picture when attempting to stream live TV.

Otherwise good so far :)

Regards,

Tony

Guest zurien

My wifi woes continues.

I have been testing the connection on AndyStrip 1.0 & 1.1 and on the officicial ICS rom from Andypad aswell:

Bewan Vodafone Box (VOX):

WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption

disconnects after 2-3 minutes after data transfer starts.

Have tried it with no encryption, WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA2-PSK

changing encryption keys, changing the ssid to no avail.

SpeedTouch Thomson 585 v6:

Disconnects after 2-3 minutes of data transfer starts.

Same as above exept WPA2-PSK not on this router

Cisco Aironet 1200 series (AIR-AP1231G-E-K9):

802.1x EAP TLS encryption with user and root certificates.

Holds the connection perfectly

Zyxel router at my in laws (don´t remember the exact model):

WPA/WPA2 PSK encryption

Holds the connection perfectly

The router at the top is the one at my house.

I am baffled by this, the connection drops then it takes just 1-2 seconds to reconnect. But it is enough to create so much lag that webpages stall for quite a bit.

Makes streaming video over wifi impossible.

This does not happen on the official AndypadPro ICS rom - but then again, there is no market on that one :(

This did not happen on any of the old 2.3 roms.

Guess it is time to start browsing for a new router.

Thank you for your work Csharpe, you have given our tablets new life :)

Edited by zurien

Guest Tichy

Upgraded to 1.1 and the problems i was having with installing apps is sorted. Thanks.

Now i'm not sure if this is a problem with Bluetooth or just the speed of the pad, but i've paired an Apple wireless Mighty mouse with the pad and the swipe left/right works fine on the homescreen and the scroll up/down works fine in most apps, but the problem is the lag when moving the cursor if one or more apps are open and when trying to type by clicking on the letters on the on-screen keyboard. The system is still responsive, and quick, to touch input doing the same tasks.

Not sure if there is a way of increasing the priority of processing for bluetooth devices?

Tichy

Guest Tichy

Just one other thing for the moment, the Play market installed is only for apps. Is the an APK i can download for the full market (books, apps and movies)

Cheers.

Tichy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tricky103

Hi.. Thank you csharp for the rom. I have tried it many times and I almost have the same problems, on the instructions it says to reboot after the start up wizard. Every time I have done this the andypad seems to freeze at the andypad pro screen..... I have reinstalled the rom and not yet rebooted and it is working fine. I am dubious not to reboot it although soon I know I will have to.I will enable usb debugging and see if the logcat helps at all :) Any other ideas. I haven't flashed much on the andypad but fancied ICS on it.

Thanks Again.

After using the rom for a few days, it is great a much better step up than the 2.2.1 build, I am really impressed...

Edited by Tricky103

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tichy

Hi, I've been using you 1.1 rom since you posted it hear and things have been good. I have got a USB host cable and that is working with my keyboard and mouse setup fine, although i do find the system get rather laggy when there are only a couple of background tasks running. Do you think this is an issue with the ROM or due to the hardware spec of the Pad?

Cheers,

Tichy