XMOD: Region / Device / Root patched Google Wallet

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

xposed-wallet1.pngxposed-wallet2.pngxposed-wallet3.png

[Edit: This modification is now in my FREE MoDaCo Toolkit - details]

This is now an Xposed mod. Read on for more details.

Google Wallet is super cool. It allows purchasing of things using the NFC chip in your device using any card you have in your Google Wallet account. But, there is a problem - and that's that Wallet is only available for a very limited subset of devices on a limited number of operators in the US. It also displays a rather annoying banner if you're rooted.

Hence the need to patch out some checks. ;)

Now, i'll start by saying that there may well be a patched APK out there already (I didn't check), I chose to create the patch myself because, when i'm putting in my credit card numbers etc. I like to know what i'm working with. I started with the latest version I downloaded personally from the Google Play Store (by spoofing my operator with 'Market Access') which I then patched as required.

The patch

The APK has 3 features that I patched out. The first was a device check - the app will now work on any device. Of course you need to have NFC for it to be useful! I tested on a HTC One X successfully (as you can see in the screenshots above) but of course YMMV. The second patch was an operator check - the app should now not care which operator you are on. The third patch was removing the root warning. Google Wallet doesn't actually stop you using the app if you're rooted, it just gives you a warning on screen (which is a little annoying), so I removed it. BUT... rather than having the warning in app, let me post it here instead. If you are using Google Wallet on a rooted device, really think about which apps you are giving root access... because there is the possibility that a malicious app could do bad things. There's no evidence of this happening, but it's possible. As always, be wary of what you're installing and where it came from.

As of this release, the patch is not a patch of the APK itself, but instead an in-place patch using the Xposed system. This means that the patch should continue to work when Wallet is upgraded (unless there are major internal changes). It also means you don't need to copy a patched APK to /system etc. which is a bit of a pain.

You must install Xposed to use this patch - you can find it in this post.

Download

To use the patch, after you've installed Xposed from the link above, simply download and install this APK - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - and used the 'Xposed Installer' app to activate the module. After rebooting your device, you'll be all set!

Disclaimer

If you use any of the above modified APKs or top up methods, you do so at your own risk! Please let us know how you get on in the comments below, so we can refine / improve the process based on our experiences.

WARNING

If you plan to wipe your device, switch ROM on your device or otherwise do anything unusual (including 'clearing data' on wallet), it is highly recommended that you use the 'reset wallet' option in the Wallet app settings. Failure to do this could render Wallet inoperable on your device!

Another note of caution, we're using a 'hack' here, so it's probably not the best idea to load up your Prepaid card with a ton of money in case Google blocks hacked wallets, something changes, etc. etc. and you could lose your money. Again, use at your own risk.

And finally...

If you find the above useful and you want to support my work on this and all the other MoDaCo projects, please consider signing up for a premium MoDaCo account. Thanks! :)

P

Guest Barbs80

Will give this a go, been wanting to test out the nfc on my One X (one of the main reasons I got it over the One S).

Cheers Paul

Guest gavinlew

Installed all OK, activated and $10 credited to my Google Prepaid card. Will go and visit somewhere at lunchtime and buy stuff.

Guest PaulOBrien

Does it need to be pushed in /system/app or will it work also in /data/app ?

It needs to be in /system/app.

Im getting installation failed :(

That's because you've not read how to install it properly.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Pushed fine, but Wallet not appearing in my apps list :(

Did you 'adb push'? Use Root Explorer to check file permissions perhaps (and try a reboot)?

P

Guest Batkoto

Did you 'adb push'? Use Root Explorer to check file permissions perhaps (and try a reboot)?

P

adb push and root explorer, rebooted, same.

I can see com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel.modaco.apk under system/app

sigh

Guest 318vert

Yeah im unable to push as i have read only file system and i havnt been able to get root since 4.0.4.

Ok seems busybox says im rooted :s

Rom manager errors when attempting to run privileged commands.

Dont think my phone know if its rooted or not

Edited by 318vert

Guest PaulOBrien

adb push and root explorer, rebooted, same.

I can see com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel.modaco.apk under system/app

sigh

Check logcat. I'll make a clockworkmod image and we can see if that helps.

Yeah im unable to push as i have read only file system and i havnt been able to get root since 4.0.4

Do you have clockworkmod? Which device?

P

Guest Batkoto

Check logcat. I'll make a clockworkmod image and we can see if that helps.

clockworkmod wont help, unless you have CWM for Optimus 4x :P

Guest BigladUK

Thanks Paul,

Install was all fine but I get Not supported when I open it ( Unfortunatley, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier )

I'm using a UK O2 One X with a custom rom

:-(

Si

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks Paul,

Install was all fine but I get Not supported when I open it ( Unfortunatley, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier )

I'm using a UK O2 One X with a custom rom

:-(

Si

Uh, odd! Which ROM?

P

Guest 318vert

Do you have clockworkmod? Which device?

P

Galaxy nexus standard rom 4.0.4

No CWM as it stopped me from getting OTA update so not installed it after 4.0.4.

Weird thing is that busy box says im rooted yet superuser says im not when it tries to update the su binary :S

Guest gavinlew

Android Revolution HD 6.0.0.0 by mike1986

How odd - works fine here (Vodafone UK issued handset) Android Revolution HD 6.0.0.0

Guest Barbs80

Used ES file explorer to copy to sys/apps, changed permissions, reboot - app appeared fine.

during signup/activation I got dumped back to home screen several times, took 3 attempts to add the google prepaid card but eventually worked and got my $10 credit.

will try it out next time I'm near a gregs/mcdonalds....

Guest KitCh_

Installed and working great on my Galaxy Nexus stock 4.0.4. I'm attempting to top up my account now as I only have $3 left :(