XMOD: Region / Device / Root patched Google Wallet

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest StuMcBill

Just tried at cafe nero which has a terminal which supports Mastercard, maestro and visa contactless, no joy with my Gnex.

It registered that my device was there but said that I needed to swipe or insert a card?

First time the guy had seen it tried with a phone though!

Still getting "unsupported device" though!

Guest PaulOBrien

When adding funds it's failing, I've registered the address on the card with no problem.

Adding funds on device? Check your card in the website, Google seemed to take a $1 'authorisation' on mine so I could only top up $24 (I assume if I was patient, the $1 would become available again).

P

Guest PaulOBrien

So what happens with the exchange rate then when you order a McDonalds?

I assume it's the prevailing rate, not sure tho, should probably check my purchase from Greggs yesterday. :D

P

Guest DaveTudou

Adding funds on device? Check your card in the website, Google seemed to take a $1 'authorisation' on mine so I could only top up $24 (I assume if I was patient, the $1 would become available again).

P

Tried topping up $40 but it still fails

Within about 10 seconds of failing I do see the charge on my gift card of $40 from Google but then after 30 seconds more the charge is gone.

Guest BigladUK

Just had an epic fail at the McDonalds drive thru, I'd clicked default card thinking it would make my card default but of course it did the opposite so I had no card and the transaction failed. Only realised this afterwards.

I'll try again another time ;-)

The women at the drive thru window said I can't use a phone to pay and said I should stop watching too much tv lol. Love it

Guest PaulOBrien

Tried topping up $40 but it still fails

Within about 10 seconds of failing I do see the charge on my gift card of $40 from Google but then after 30 seconds more the charge is gone.

Using a US address that matches that which you've configured for the card right? In the card management the address is showing up right?

Be careful you don't leave < $20 on your card, as minimum Wallet topup is $20.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Added to the first post:

WARNING

If you plan to wipe your device, switch ROM on your device or otherwise do anything unusual (including 'clearing data' on wallet), it is highly recommended that you use the 'reset wallet' option in the Wallet app settings. Failure to do this could render Wallet inoperable on your device!

Another note of caution, we're using a 'hack' here, so it's probably not the best idea to load up your Prepaid card with a ton of money in case Google blocks hacked wallets, something changes, etc. etc. and you could lose your money. Again, use at your own risk.

Guest DaveTudou

Using a US address that matches that which you've configured for the card right? In the card management the address is showing up right?

Be careful you don't leave < $20 on your card, as minimum Wallet topup is $20.

P

Thanks for tip!

Yes I see my USUnlocked address in the giftcard Card Information page, I'm using the exact same address and phone number for adding in the app (should i remove the #?)

The address looks like this but with a 5 digit number instead of NNNNN

Address: 100B MAIN AVENUE SUITE# NNNNN ELMWOOD PARK, NJ 07407 USA

Guest munkiii

Just got free dinner at Greggs. Cheers.

Only got $3.75 left now though and don't want to pay to top it up. Seems as though i've got to wait for the UK launch.

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks for tip!

Yes I see my USUnlocked address in the giftcard Card Information page, I'm using the exact same address and phone number for adding in the app (should i remove the #?)

The address looks like this but with a 5 digit number instead of NNNNN

Address: 100B MAIN AVENUE SUITE# NNNNN ELMWOOD PARK, NJ 07407 USA

Yup, that's exactly the same as mine!

Not sure why that's not working then... 'try again later'? Reboot and try again? *clutching-at-straws*

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Just got free dinner at Greggs. Cheers.

Only got $3.75 left now though and don't want to pay to top it up. Seems as though i've got to wait for the UK launch.

Hey man, free dinner ain't to be sniffed at. :D

P

Guest mydedis

The APK has 3 features that I patched out. The first was a device check - the app will now work on any device. Of course you need to have NFC for it to be useful! I tested on a HTC One X successfully (as you can see in the screenshots above) but of course YMMV.

I assume the device must be supported by Google Wallet: not just any NFC phone, correct?

Guest PaulOBrien

I assume the device must be supported by Google Wallet: not just any NFC phone, correct?

Er, that's the point, this should work on any NFC phone.

P

Guest DaveTudou

Yup, that's exactly the same as mine!

Not sure why that's not working then... 'try again later'? Reboot and try again? *clutching-at-straws*

P

Tried all that, gonna try waiting it out. Found a similar guy with same error and he said it just worked a week later.

Guest hecatae

Hi Paul,

could you post a clockworkmod zip, and will you be adding this to all the MCR kitchens for devices that support NFC?

Guest kitfm

I tried to install this on my AT&T One X, moved it to /system/app, set rwx rw- rw-, and I'm getting this error when I start up:

Insufficient Privileges. Insufficient secure element privileges for this system image (release-keys)

Guest wicksta

Bah still no joy on my i717 - always stuck on initializing. I've tried two WLANs as well as the packet core network and restarted, cleared data etc. to no avail. Any ideas?

I have blown the dust off my Nexus now and going to give that a go. :)

Guest mydedis

Er, that's the point, this should work on any NFC phone.

P

Uhm, I don't see how that could be possible. The credit card credentials are stored in the Secure Element embedded in the NFC chip.

Access to this SE is granted by some keys, which I guess Google must obtain from each OEM.

So unless Google has obtained the keys I don't see how they could be able to write the credentials in every NFC chip.

Edited by mydedis

Guest wicksta

Uhm, I don't see how that could be possible. The credit card credentials are stored in the Secure Element embedded in the NFC chip.

Access to this SE is granted by some keys, which I guess Google must obtain from each OEM.

So unless Google has obtained the keys I don't see how they could be able to write the credentials in every NFC chip.

This doesn't clone existing credit cards, it gives you your own 'wallet' that you can top up and then purchase things with using NFC from within Google Wallet itself. You have to top up manually first though, that's the point and why they don't need any OEM keys.

Edited by wicksta

Guest mydedis

This doesn't clone existing credit cards, it gives you your own 'wallet' that you can top up and then purchase things with using NFC from within Google Wallet itself.

That's correct.

But the first time Wallet is started, it writes (or tries to write) credentials of a virtual credit card, which is emulated by NFC.

The underlying technology (PayPass) is the same as the one used in normal contactless cards.