SIM lock status

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest BlueMoonRising

Now promised 3 days maximum(hopefully today) for an email with my unlocking code. Apparently the imei number corresponds to the layout for an iPhone handset(whatever that means) which would explain why it always connects me with the iPhone section when calling 450. This time it was an English call centre so I've been to India, Ireland and England so far trying to get just one simple number :(

Guest MrPuddington
Staggering display of incompetence really.

Well, it is Orange. You should not expect anything less.

I just wonder how the merger to EE is supposed to work - and which way will it go?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest john91919

Hi,

I am also having problems getting my unlock code.

I have called CS several times after being told I would have it within 20 days.

I was told 2 days, 2 hours and then 2 days then the last time I called they put me on hold for ages then cut me off. Never got a uk call center always india.

I have spoken to supervisors and team managers and all just said "I will contact you in ( insert days/weeks/hours)" then nothing after.

They had no problem taking my money though.

Any ideas as to what where I should try next?

Cheers

John

Guest BlueMoonRising

Real life has stopped me taking this any further but I will be back on it this week.

I phoned again on 8th February twice, the first one hung up when I said I didn't actually have an iPhone(the imei number always takes you to the iPhone section) and the second one claims it will be marked as urgent and will be through in 48 hours. He also promised to escalate the previous call so a manager should call me back within 10 days(why so long?) but actually refused to re-instate my £20 already taken(for unlocking my iPhone for christs sake) since they would be unlocking it anyway or to let me talk to a manager("it's policy").

I'm going to send a strongly worded letter this week to :-

Orange Customer Services

PO Box 10

Patchway

Bristol

BS32 4BQ

I'll also send a copy to the ombudsman when I can sort out the contact details.

I actually had no intention of leaving Orange originally(I just wanted it unlocked) but their shocking CS has changed my mind and I'll be changing to Virgin I think(and yes, I know I can change to them without unlocking). I believe you can claim back any unused credit on your phone nowadays, I'll look that up as well.

I'm seriously peed off with Orange and will never use them again in the future regardless of what they're flogging.

Guest brokebloke

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else on this forum but the unlocking policy for Orange seems to have changed, you now need to have the phone active on Orange for 6 months (up from 3 months) before they will unlock it for you.

http://help.orange.c...personal/474187

What a joke Orange are !!! Only had my phone a month now I have to wait another 5 months... looks like another one for eBay !!

Guest intheblue

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else on this forum but the unlocking policy for Orange seems to have changed, you now need to have the phone active on Orange for 6 months (up from 3 months) before they will unlock it for you.

http://help.orange.c...personal/474187

That's a bit of a blow for anyone like me who has not had the phone for 3 months and was hoping to unlock. Have they given us notice about this change? I wonder what the regulator would think about this change in the contract?

Looks like we need to find a way to SIM unlock if the handset will be of use to many of it. My attempts using methods that have worked for other phones with the same baseband have failed, needs more work...

Guest Biohead

That really is an insult!

I have some communication from the CEO team when I complained, that the wait for unlocking takes 3 months... I hope that when I've done my three months I can use this to overrule the new 6 month rule, get my code, then leave them!

Well the old version of the unlocking page was archived by the 'wayback machine':

http://web.archive.org/web/20130122203449/http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/474187

The argument would be that these are the terms you accepted when you agreed to use their service, the new 6 month rule should only apply to people joining the service after the new policy was published.

That really is an insult!

I have some communication from the CEO team when I complained, that the wait for unlocking takes 3 months... I hope that when I've done my three months I can use this to overrule the new 6 month rule, get my code, then leave them!

Welcome @ Orange !

Guest King Conrad

Hi guys. I have been on the phone to customer service now for weeks and been cut off close to every time. It is the only thing I have used all my credit on.

Today I went into a EE shop to complain and was told that the staff have NO way of helping me apart from putting me through to customer service on the phone. (Is this true?)

On the way out I was stopped by a worker doing a survey about customer service! I explained the issue and he told me that he would make a complaint about the way they are dealing with this issue on the unlock of this phone.

I know that this will do nothing but I thought I would let you know.

One odd thing is every time I call up I am told that I own a iPhone. I am also told that even after 3 months it could take weeks or months to get the code as they have to email the makers and wait for them to send the code. Is this true? If so, is there anyway to contact the makers on our own?

It is driving me crazy having to use this phone ONLY on wifi as I get "0" signal where I am with Orange. Even if I did get some I would not want to stay with them as GiffGaff are perfect for me.

Guest BlueMoonRising

@King Conrad, I've tried the shop and had the same problem, they put you through to CS on their phone(saves you a wapping 25p on PAYG). The amusing thing about it was watching the girl be put through the exact same hoops that we as customers are put through, including going to the iPhone section(something to do with the IMEI code being similar in layout to the iPhone) and then being bounced from section to section. When she finally managed to get to the "correct" section and handed the phone over I explained my problem(an overheating handset) and then was told that I was in the wrong section and they would transfer me.

Originally they insisted on 3 months of use(not unusual I suppose) before issuing an unlock code which can then take up to 30 days to process, They really have extended the minimum period from 3 months to 6(I've just checked online) although I'm presuming that only applies to new applications. If you've had it just 3 months and haven't asked for it yet you may need to argue your case.

As for the signal I always leave it on 2G only at home as our signal is poor(we're a bit of a black hole for telecommunications here full stop) but have installed signal boost which works perfectly. I presume if I leave Orange it'll stop working? I'm considering Virgin at the moment.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest BlueMoonRising

I got around to sending a letter to Bristol on Wednesday regarding my travails in trying to get an unlock code, I also sent a copy to [email protected] in the hopes that it might wake someone up. I first asked for it on the 16th November and have had many promises that "we'll rush it through" since then. After the first failure the girl immediately put £20.42 credit on my phone for the inconvenience without any prompting from myself and I was very confident it was a genuine mistake and I would receive it shortly. More fool me...

They have actually sent me an e-mail recently advising me how to unlock my "iPhone" which of course is neither use nor ornament and just to rub salt into the wound actually charged me for it. I have asked for a callback from a manager but have no confidence it was even requested let alone actually receive one.

I'll wait and see if the letter has any effect at all, if not I'll have to escalate it to CISAS.

Communication and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS)

The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators

24 Angel Gate

City Road

London

EC1V 2PT

Tel: 020 7520 3827

Fax: 020 7520 3829

E-mail: [email protected]

Guest BlueMoonRising

Wonders never cease, it took 3 months and 3 days to finally get my unlock code, I just need a non Orange micro sim now to use it. I'm tempted by the Virgin £7 pay monthly option since I'm not a heavy user. At least they didn't charge me again and with the initial £20 credit it's not actually cost me anything(excepting blood, sweat and tears and of course all the calls).

I guess the letter had some affect after all.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest BlueMoonRising

If it's taught me one thing it's that I will never ever buy a locked handset again. I will also never ever buy anything off Orange either, although that's 2 things obviously.

Guest shootomanUK

Wonders never cease, it took 3 months and 3 days to finally get my unlock code, I just need a non Orange micro sim now to use it. I'm tempted by the Virgin £7 pay monthly option since I'm not a heavy user. At least they didn't charge me again and with the initial £20 credit it's not actually cost me anything(excepting blood, sweat and tears and of course all the calls).

I guess the letter had some affect after all.

So just to clarify you have been trying to get this unlocked for 3 month, and now you are thinking of going on virgin ? lol

I thought virgin & t-mobile worked in the phone anyway ? (scratches head)

Guest King Conrad

Dont go with Virgin! Crazy! GiffGaff is what you need. Unlimited internet, texts and calls to anyone else on giffgaff and 250mins to any network all for £12

If you use this link you also get £5 credit on top (My link) http://giffgaff.com/...filiate/dafunks

Been with them for quite awhile now and no issues apart from more cash in my pocket and great internet.

Oh and you get a micro sim also :)

Edited by King Conrad

Guest BlueMoonRising

So just to clarify you have been trying to get this unlocked for 3 month, and now you are thinking of going on virgin ? lol

I thought virgin & t-mobile worked in the phone anyway ? (scratches head)

They do, I just wanted the phone unlocked and was happy(sort of) to pay the £20 to get it done. I was less than happy with their efforts to do so.