ICS release date for G300....kind of.

Guest FrankieADZ

Guest FrankieADZ

so just seen on the UK Huawei page and they state a Demo version of ICS should be available for the G300 in Q3 of this year.

"We are happy to announce that we will be rolling out the demo version of ICS Android 4.0 through Q2 and Q3, starting with the Honor U8860. Please note that the ICS upgrade is a demo version and therefore may have limitations. The U8800Pro and Huawei Honor C8860E will also receive an ICS demo upgrade later this quarter. The Huawei Mercury M866, Huawei Honor U8860-51 and Huawei G300 will receive the ICS demo upgrade in Q3"

http://www.facebook.com/huaweidevice/posts/200687683387906

Promising I guess.

Edited by FrankieADZ

Demo still sound good to me,once the devs get there hands on it,then it wont be a demo no more :)

I think really all we need from the demo is the kernel,then porting ics/cm9 should be easier for the devs.

Guest Davidoff59

Hold on a minute, the phone has been advertised and sold all along since it was announced at MWC as getting an upgrade to ICS. Both Vodafone and Huawei have advertised and sold it as such. To accept a demo is cheating yourself and doing yourself out of pocket.

The phone is £100 fair enough but we bought it on the back of ICS as much as we did the 4 inch screen and the 1 ghz processor. Please don't take this lying down. Find out if we are getting full ics or just a demo.

Who knows what will be restricted in a demo. I know the devs will hopefully pull something out of the bag but if Huawei and Vodafone are allowed to do this now, then they will do it again.

Its time to stand up for your rights and find out exactly what we are getting.

Guest FrankieADZ

Its kinda annoying its a demo version we're gonna get first off. just hope devs can work with it :wacko:

Hold on a minute, the phone has been advertised and sold all along since it was announced at MWC as getting an upgrade to ICS. Both Vodafone and Huawei have advertised and sold it as such. To accept a demo is cheating yourself and doing yourself out of pocket.

The phone is £100 fair enough but we bought it on the back of ICS as much as we did the 4 inch screen and the 1 ghz processor. Please don't take this lying down. Find out if we are getting full ics or just a demo.

Who knows what will be restricted in a demo. I know the devs will hopefully pull something out of the bag but if Huawei and Vodafone are allowed to do this now, then they will do it again.

Its time to stand up for your rights and find out exactly what we are getting.

I have to agree with you there. but then they'll say..."it is ICS...just a demo version" typical companies being half arsed

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest Davidoff59

I have had the 'demo' on an arm6 blade.

I don't think it can be classed as half assed if it is blatantly misleading. There is nothing stopping them sticking a skin on, renaming it and saying here is your demo, if you want full ICS, ditch your 2 month old phone and buy our latest phone.

Guest FrankieADZ

I have had the 'demo' on an arm6 blade.

I don't think it can be classed as half assed if it is blatantly misleading. There is nothing stopping them sticking a skin on, renaming it and saying here is your demo, if you want full ICS, ditch your 2 month old phone and buy our latest phone.

have to agree with you, it certainly is misleading.

only positive for me is hopefully a developer can use it to there benefit and create a ROM from it :)

Misleading is an understatement really,if the demo is the ics they lead us all to believe we where getting,then it is more fraud than anything <_<

One of the main reasons I paid for a g300 was the promise of an ics upgrade,nowhere in that was there a mention of it being a demo.

I am sure they will release a fully working version,but when ? By rights the demo should of been released already,and as promised,the official rom released in 3rd Q.

Either way,if the kernel in the demo is sound,then it is all good :D

Guest FrankieADZ

Misleading is an understatement really,if the demo is the ics they lead us all to believe we where getting,then it is more fraud than anything <_<

One of the main reasons I paid for a g300 was the promise of an ics upgrade,nowhere in that was there a mention of it being a demo.

I am sure they will release a fully working version,but when ? By rights the demo should of been released already,and as promised,the official rom released in 3rd Q.

Either way,if the kernel in the demo is sound,then it is all good :D

thats what i thought too, they should release the demo version now.

surely it cant be that difficult a thing to do. i think they need to do something as they've mislead alot of people and have had it even stated in the media that ICS would be released,

If everyone kicks up a big enough stink about it then hopefully they might do something....tho I doubt it :(

also..Q3 start the 6 month and ends the 9th month of the year right?.....so between now and september?

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest FrankieADZ

Mis sold device and false advertising and you have a good chance to get a refund

I wont go for a refund if Im honest. there arent any other phones on the market I really want....well there are but there £300/400 lol

Guest achromic

Tbh I'm going to wait. Cm9 would be nice, a full official ics would be lovely. Now the source code is out I don't think we've too long to wait for cm7 to fill the gap

Guest Hans Gruber

What exactly is a demo version of ICS? Does it mean we flash it over our fully functioning phones to then have an OS with limited features? Why would we want to do that?

Guest RussellS

after this...has it made anyone think about getting rid of there G300?

Not at all. I still think it is an amazing phone for the price. I never buy products based on promises because even high end manufacturers don't always deliver on promises. I always buy a product based on what it is at the time of purchase and then any updates are a bonus (except bug fixes of course). In the G300's case, I'm happy with it where it is at the moment. If Huawei release ICS then great otherwise I'm sure CM9 will eventualy be ported to it so that's good as well.

With respect to the official Huawei ICS release, it has always been known that it would be the summer which, in fairness, is between now and September and with respect to the demo release, I just think we should wait and see and try not to speculate.

Edited by RussellS

I am definitely keeping mine,with or without official ics.Look at blade & skate,they doing just fine on there cm9 builds and they are Armv6 with under 1Ghz CPU.

Don't worry about the update,things will be all good here soon,I know things are moving slow at the moment,but give it time and we will have cm7 & cm9 with oveclocking too.

The G300 is an excellent device that will have plenty of customizations going on in time,and I think anyone would have a hard time trying to get more for there money.

Guest FrankieADZ

Im with you 2 :)

Certainly won't be getting rid of it anytime soon; unless it goes tits up of course...then i'll asses my options.

On the ROMS front...I'd just be happy with a CM7 port tbh...wish they Guys over at CM would take this phone on as an official build aswell :(

Guest runlevel5

+1 for cm7. Had a wildfire prior to the g300 and I really miss cm7. I posted on cm and xda re. kernel released and what a great phone this is. Time will tell, I am sure we'll get some cm love at some point :)

Guest RussellS

I'm just curious but what will CM7 give us over the Huawei Gingerbread B888 rom. I've got CM7 on my Blade but that is only because there isn't an official Gingerbread release and I can't really see much on my Blade that would convince me to replace my B888 rom and put CM7 on my G300.

Guest runlevel5

On cm7 for wildfire you get overclockable kernel, choice of cpu governor (smartassv2 rocks), loads of customisation options, ADW launcher (not to everyones taste but hey, and it is available on google play), pretty much constant development with the nightlies channel if officially supported, (tho the focus does seem to be cm9 now). from stock rom to cm7 the difference was amazing on my old wildfire. G300 B888 deodexed and customised is awesome tho :)

Guest RussellS

The funny thing is though that I actually like the stock B888 rom. I don't particularly want to overclock because it's fast enough for everything I do and I don't want to shorten the battery life. On my Blade with CM7 I didn't like the ADW Launcher so I replaced it with Launcher Pro which I thought was much better. However, with the G300 I like the standard Huawei launcher and havn't felt the need to load a different launcher at all. I even like the Huawei 4-way lock screen which I know is not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

So really, I'm not too bothered about CM7. Now if CM9 came out and it was before an official release then that would be a different matter all together.

Guest weckl

This saturday (9 of June) Huawei will officially present its brand new Emotional UI graphic enhancement over ICS. Maybe Huawei will say something new. :-)

Guest runlevel5

It's debatable as to whether overclocking would shorten battery life given governors stipulate a minimum and a maximum clock speed; so a lower than standard clockspeed can be used at idle or sms etc and a higher one than standard for cpu/gpu intensive tasks.